The Spirit Of Disaster (Competition 2012)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

Re: The Spirit Of Disaster (Competition 2012)

#256 Post by Anarchy »

junna wrote:
Anarchy wrote: EDIT: I see my joke summaries have already sparked some discussion Image
Nah that's just me believing that if anyone who wants to create a comparison of any sort they have to be objective and not subjective/biased so that they can avoid influence on others. Otherwise a list of the reviews+links like you did earlier is a lot better.
*shrugs* If the chart gets people talking, I'm happy. Honestly, I'd prefer the chart to be full of everyone's subjective, biased opinions. Isn't that what this discussion is supposed to be about? It's not like we're trying to be Wikipedia here. I apologize if it came off as if those summaries were meant to be taken as the absolute truth.

EDIT: I'm assuming that people looking at the chart will have already played or at least skimmed all the entries, so they can judge for themselves whether or not what's written in there is accurate. If you don't agree with a summary, or anything at all, really, just comment on it so we can get discussions going! :D
Last edited by Anarchy on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#257 Post by Coren »

MWAHAHAHA I BET YOU NEVER GUESS THIS PLOT TWISTER

Funnyguts
Veteran

#258 Post by Funnyguts »

Who Are You?:
Summary: Bethany meets catgirl Eris out of nowhere. But Bethany is currently too concerned with someone she claims to have met the previous night. Then the scene cuts to someone named Arnold, who Eris is also staying with. Arnold doesn't recognize her but Eris says they talked last night.

Next Eris and Bethany are talking about how they met and it's all really confusing and apparently Bethany and Arnold know each other and something or other. Bethany goes to class and meets with her professor. Eris and the professor talk about something

The scene switches to Arnold at work. For some reason Arnold is wearing lipstick, gasp. It's implied to be Eris's. Then there's something about a car accident and suing Arnold's boss.

Next scene: Bethany at a diner. Her professor calls and tells her to stop attending class because tuition fees were never charged and she's a big disruption. Bethany gets pissed and heads to the forest to write in her journal.

The next day, Eris brings Arnold to a junkyard, promising to show him Bethany. Arnold finds Bethany's journal, and turns out Bethany is pissed at Eris for all the disaster she's caused. Arnold worries that Bethany killed herself, but Eris explains that she's tied to both of them and if one dies Eris disappears. Eris gives Arnold Bethany's phone.

Arnold then gets a call on Bethany's phone asking for Arnold Shipp. Turns out it's the professor, telling both Arnold and Bethany to be wary of Eris, who is the goddess of discord. (Apparently a basic bit of Greek mythology took quite a lot of research.)

Arnold encounters his boss at work. Turns out the accident was caused by Mr. Shipp drunk driving. Then Mr Shipp calls Arnold 'Arnette Bethany Shipp'! Turns out Arnold and Bethany were the same person all along, and had a split personality because of the car crash! All of a sudden Arnie declares her last name not to be Shipp but Star and apparently is instantly okay with two weeks of MPD.

Arnie sues her father, causing a chain reaction that makes the entire town abandoned. There's some weird confusing thing about Eris's mobile, and Arnie decides to change her name to Eris Star. This apparently causes Arnie or Eris to vanish, I'm not quite sure, and (new?) Eris calls the professor and teases Mr. Shipp. There's some weird thing about knowing who you are and the story ends.

Characters: None of the characters had any life to them. Apparently Mr. Shipp was supposed to be ragey but that never really came off. The professor felt more angry than Shipp did. Arnold and Bethany's only distinguishing characteristic is their choice in reading material.

Technical Aspects: Nothing too exciting, but there were a few grammar errors.

Limitations: The story felt like it was going to use every background possible no matter how irrelavent.

Uniqueness: Well, it is the only story with multiple personality disorder, even if it doesn't make any sense.

Themes: Uh...? I guess 'who are you' is the biggest theme in the story.

Overall: I liked it better my second read when I knew the big twist, but I still wasn't impressed. The story jerks from place to place, there's random fourth wall breaking everywhere for no reason, and the ending makes no sense at all. It doesn't seem to deal with multiple personality disorder in a way that makes for a coherent story. Did no one at Arnold's work notice that he was the boss's daughter? Arnold is implied to have been working there for quite a while, so I don't know how no one said anything. There's a lot of other plot holes like that. The Greek mythology stuff is kind of awkwardly shoehorned in, and just feels like it's there to make an allusion for allusion's sake. Golden Hound's method of centering the story around the myth worked a lot better. (I'll get to that one eventually.)

I'd like to point out that two of what I consider to be the strongest entries have gotten very little attention. So far "Living with Disaster" and "Adversity, Anniversaries, and Pepper" have only had two reviews each (and one of those two reviews is mine). That makes them the only ones with less than three reviews, now that I've given 'Who are You' a third. If you're not sure what entries to read next, make it one of those! There's death, life, choices, and even dinosaurs! (Kinda.)

Carassaurat
Veteran

#259 Post by Carassaurat »

I'm going to have to play 4Dimensional at least 6 more times, and read the Wikipedia page on free will — but in the mean time, I'm giving it bonus points for allowing me to name the Spirit:
Attachments
Rodriguez.jpg

LieselSolo
Regular

#260 Post by LieselSolo »

"Fragile"

This entry really seemed to use a lot of telling rather than showing. Tom tells us his emotions, how Alice is cute, how he's nervous around girls, what his personality traits are, etc. without really showing us a lot. He describes the movie as being "for sexually frustrated teenage boys" without giving any actual details. One of the basic rules of writing is "show, don't tell" and this game is doing the opposite. Tom tells us about himself and the other characters, but we SEE very little.

The writing was also really dry. It seemed like every other sentence began with "I" and the descriptions seemed to be a runthrough of what was happening ("I get up, I go to class, I eat lunch even though I'm not hungry, I go to bed and don't sleep well . . ."). This got boring after a while.

Also, there were numerous distracting errors. Most notably, days of the week weren't capitalized. They were written as "friday," "monday," etc. when they should be "Friday" and "Monday." There was also a moment where Tom said, "My tears filled up with tears." I'm guessing the author meant, "My EYES filled up with tears." It really feels like the author didn't proofread his/her work.

Carassaurat
Veteran

#261 Post by Carassaurat »

Hey, I finished reading all of them! Overall, I'm positively surprised at the quality of the entries, but I feel that, unfortunately, there aren't any that I'll remember 'til my dying day.

Speaking of which...

The Day I Died

Which one was that again: the one in which the protagonist spends his or her final day with the spirit.

I'm going to have to echo OokamiKasumi's sentiment here, because it sums up my opinion quite well too:
OokamiKasumi wrote:Quite literally, it read like a first draft thrown together in extreme haste and submitted. That doesn't make it Bad. Potential for a damned good story is definitely there, just...utterly unfulfilled.
It does look hastily written. I kind of like its premise, to be honest: the Spirit has delayed the consequence of a disaster for a day and spends one last, happy day with the protagonist. It has potential for some interesting discussion material. Would I want to know if this were my last day, or would I just worry too much to be able to spend it usefully? It has the potential to show a charming build up of situation, but doesn't do much with it. We're told that the protagonist had a last day of fun, but we as audience don't get to share in the fun at all — we barely even know what actually happens. It's a shame. The longest time is spent on the meeting of the two characters, but that's not a particularly interesting segment. The Spirit's insistence that she's a supernatural being doesn't actually help her cause, I should imagine, and it's a scene that takes place in all other entries, so it's hardly memorable on its own. After that, Day rushes through things and ends. I just checked: the day, which is supposedly the central theme and even features in the title, takes up just one screen of nvl text.

The nvl needs a quick mention too. I don't like it; it darkens the entire scene and at some bad moments even puts text in front of the character's face. It's also, as evidenced by previous discussion between Ookami and Funnyguts, not always easy to tell who is speaking. I really see no advantage of this over text boxes or even coloured centered text.

The Face of Tragedy

Which one was that again: the one in which the spirit sets the forest on fire.

There's not really much I can say about The Face of Tragedy. It's nice. The dialogue flows well and the scenes have an appropriate length. The protagonist doesn't have much of a unique voice, but that may be largely because of the amount of options we get during play, and how different they are from each other. The spirit, Xeri (not the best of the spirit names we've come across), does have a personality of her own and she's distinct but refreshingly natural in that.

The choices really do branch! That's pretty neat. Not every ending is equally satisfying, but I like how even such a silly irrational option like “I'll hate you!” develops into a story well enough. A bit more text on some of the endings wouldn't have hurt, though.

I wish I could say more, but while The Face of Tragedy is nice, it isn't anything more than that. It's well-made, but doesn't have much ambition or revolutionary concepts. I very much appreciate it's here, but I don't think I'll remember it months from now.

Anarchy
Veteran

#262 Post by Anarchy »

Carassaurat wrote:Hey, I finished reading all of them! Overall, I'm positively surprised at the quality of the entries, but I feel that, unfortunately, there aren't any that I'll remember 'til my dying day.
(1) I see what you did thar

(2) Do you have a top three already? Or perhaps a handful of candidates for top three? I'm curious. :3 (I have my own three already picked out, actually - in fact, I have all the entries tiered and ranked :twisted: - just wondering if anybody else has already done this.)

Carassaurat
Veteran

#263 Post by Carassaurat »

(1) That was actually a total coincidence and I noticed that as I was writing it up. I'm just that funny.

(2) Well, you made me think about it and I think I can make a top 3, but it's not a very convincing one. There were a number of entries of which I thought that they were pretty good, but not top 3 material, but unfortunately, there were none which I did want to place in the top 3. As a result, I'm still considering whether I should even vote, since it feels odd to have to pick three that I don't see as deserving it. But on the other hand, refusing to vote because my standards are too high is only sabotaging the idea of the competition. It's also very difficult because the entries can be very incomparable. They don't even belong in the same genres.

I'd prefer not to publicly tell at this stage, though. Already I'm a tad afraid of influencing others too much if I churn out too many reviews. (Unless you'd want to discuss over PM, since you've already made up your mind).

Anarchy
Veteran

#264 Post by Anarchy »

Living Through Disaster

This entry opens on a very strong note. The fact that each line appears immediately and completely after each click gives us a sense of bluntness, and there's a sense of forward/downward momentum until we get to the heaviest, shortest line placed strategically at the bottom of the page: "(terminal)". Bam! The premise, central conflict, and hook of the story, right there in that single word. It's incredibly efficient, and I do think that this is probably the strongest opening out of all the entries. The fact that all of this is white words on a black background adds to the sense of foreboding.

Then we get a flash to whiteness with the first words we hear from our protagonist, Genevieve. "That is me." It immediately establishes her personality as somebody who is straightforward, to-the-point, and doesn't shy from reality. "That is all of who I am." Establishes bitterness and anger; we get that she thinks that other people perceive her as being nothing more than her terminal illness, all in seven simple words. The repetition helps to convey her frustration.

"My life was the most unexceptional there was." This has nothing to do with anything, but it really reminds me of Naegi, the supposedly bland self-insert protagonist of Dangan Ronpa, who made an almost identical speech at the beginning of that VN.

(I did not get the mathematician's joke thing, by the way. Can somebody explain?)

The first page of monologuing wasn't anything special, but it held my attention more than other entries because the voice felt stronger, for some reason. It went into details and specifics, unlike certain other monologues we've seen this contest. The mention of her name, how it's pronounced, isn't just a throwaway detail - it leads into an interesting detail about her parents wanting her to be special, and her not being special. That little hint at interpersonal conflict gave the background information about her name some emotional weight and significance.

The repetition of the word "unexceptional" throughout the monologue was effective, not obnoxious like The Day I Died's notorious "I'm going to die". In The Day I Died, that repetition was used to sledgehammer an emotion through our skulls - a sign that the author doesn't really believe in his/her ability to actually evoke that emotion through the strength of characterization/plot/writing quality, and had to resort to such an annoyingly artificial, unsubtle, clumsy, heavy-handed device to get the emotion through. And it really doesn't work. The repetition of "unexceptional" works here though, because every time it's paired with a different detail, and used in sentences with different structure. It's conveys quite effectively, without even explicitly saying it (until the next page, that is), that the protagonist doesn't like being unexceptional - that in fact, this particular flaw of hers really bothers her. It's not the most subtle approach ever, but it's supremely elegant compared to some of the other entries we've seen.

More internal monologue. The top half is mostly consists of generalities, but I can see that it's necessary to establish context for her thoughts. If it had just stopped with "the world wouldn't care", then there wouldn't be much to distinguish it from other similar angsty monologues in this contest. But the author follows it up with a line from the priest that is so full of rich detail and specific imagery, it succeeds in conveying - showing - Gene's emotions and thoughts on the subject, and does it with a light, almost fanciful touch. It establishes Gene's voice and personality strongly, showcasing her sarcasm and the fact that she copes with her condition through humor - a very human thing to do. In general, this internal monologue achieves an easy balance between "showing" and "telling" - contrary to what the popular saying implies, sometimes telling is necessary as well for efficient storytelling. The art of writing depends on your ability to balance the two, to know when to "show" and when it might be better to "tell".

We have detailed imagery of how Gene imagines her last days to be. This description allows us to connect with her, visualize her impending death and the way she feels about it. The metaphor of her heart literally "boring" the rest of her body to death is a brilliant exploitation of the "unexceptional" concept that was explored in previous pages. We have, once again, a completely "unexceptional" person, but the way her "normalness" is portrayed is incredibly vivid and engaging. It's funny how the supposedly "boring" protagonist is actually one of the most interesting characters in the contest, even more interesting than serial killers and psychopaths and crazy people with TV-land mental illnesses. We're only a few screens in, and I'm already impressed at the strength of the characterization. It's probably the best interpretation of the "unexceptional protagonist" component of the prompt, where the "unexceptionalness" of the protagonist is exploited to its fullest to create interesting characterization instead of being treated as a barrier to it. She's interesting BECAUSE she's unexceptional, not despite that.

She just feels so real to me, and the things she thinks about are incredibly relatable. Who wants to be forgotten after they die? She's knows that it's silly to think this way. She knows she's boring, and we can all tell how she feels about it without her explicitly saying "I'm boring and it feels horrible that I'm so boring". There are hints of self-pity, enough to make her relatable and feel human, but it's touched on so lightly that it never gets annoying, unlike certain other entries. The detail about her referring to herself as her patient number not being crazy enough has a beautifully complex effect. It serves multiple functions: (1) reinforcing her feelings of anger, frustration, and helplessness at being treated as nothing more than just her illness, (2) reinforcing her feelings of hopelessness and inferiority at being so incredibly normal and boring, and (3) has that light, humorous touch to it that reinforces her sarcastic personality. If only all the entries were this efficient.

I don't have much to say about the monologing in the rest of the prologue and the start of the first chapter. The author keeps up the good work of writing thoughts/descriptions with details that are actually interesting and move the plot forward, in addition to rounding out and developing the emotional state of the protagonist.

These two sentences make Gene come across as an honest, authentic narrator who gives us two different possible interpretations of her actions, but admits that she doesn't know herself. It also gives the impression that she was so stunned by the shooting star that she didn't have time for that kind of introspection.

Then the shooting star thing happens, Gene finds the spirit girl, blah blah blah. Gene reacts by thinking that maybe she's hallucinating because of her medical condition (by the way, is the name supposed to be capitalized like that? I get the impression it's not, but I can't be sure...), which I like much more than protagonists who know that they're in a supernatural story and just except the existence of the spirit unconditionally.

I really liked the line "I missed you". It's a rather cheeky line. It sets up certain expectations - the reader will tend to jump to the "It's been a long time since we last met, I missed you" interpretation, and Gene's reaction reinforces that - but then the spirit reveals that she was actively trying to hit Gene. It subverts the expectations created by that "I missed you" line (and is, perhaps, a tongue-in-cheek critique of other contest entries or magical girlfriend stories in general that expect the quirky supernatural girl to immediately form a emotional bond with the protagonist), and while not laugh-out-loud funny, certainly adds to the light, humorous tone of the piece - quite refreshing given that the story is about a woman who is about to die.

The cute, sarcastic banter between the spirit and Gene that follows is effortlessly engaging and really made me like Gene as a character. I would have to quote the entire conversation to show the parts that I liked the best, but one of the highlights is definitely:

Note that that last lines also have the additional function of adding detail to the spirit's background.

Chapter 2 opens with yet more sarcastic commentary on the "unexceptional, boring" nature of Gene's work.

It seems a little strange that she says that out loud. That line seems more suited to an interior monologue.

And then her computer explodes! When she comes to, Gene has this gem of a line:

Bwahaha!

Noooo don't explain the joke!

The coworkers feel very real, human, and vivid in this little exchange, even though they're bit players and don't even have sprites.

The wedding ring thing is a nice detail to develops Gene's personality further - she's conventional, wants to get married, but is insecure about her appearance. All with a single reference to a wedding ring on scarred fingers.

Also pictured: further exploration of the idea that your survival instincts will always kick in when you're in danger, no matter how irrational it may seem. Feels like this VN handled that concept better than Sacrifice did, probably because Gene feels more human and doesn't come off as an absolute prick. Sacrifice had higher stakes (from an objective viewpoint), but the stakes feel more dire in this VN because Gene's well-characterized and we actually like her. The stakes here are the death of a character we enjoy, as opposed to the many deaths of faceless and/or poorly-characterized cardboard cutouts in Sacrifice. It feels much more personal here.

Gahaha~~~ I loved this! (I like Gene's funny/sarcastic remarks in general, really, but if I keep quoting every single line that I like this review is never going to be done.)

More lovely sarcasm/ridiculous coworkers/jabs at Asian manufacturers follow.

And then Gene concludes she's insane for hallucinating up a spirit of disaster! This is amazing. I think this is the only entry where (there is the possibility that) the spirit is real, but the protagonist actually concludes that she's crazy for seeing the spirit! THANK YOU FOR THE REALISM, ANON-AUTHOR-SAN! (The whole thing as treated as ambiguous, in any case, which I really appreciate.)

The practical, no-nonsense way she deals with this realization is seriously refreshing and funny, but almost sad at the same time.

And here we go into Chapter 3. The whole date thing is funny. Gene has an explicit motive - make this the most horrible date possible, which clashes with the apparent goal of the date to make this a successful date. Interpersonal conflict go! The reader has more information than the date has, which means we can snicker and enjoy the awkwardness that ensues. Schadenfreude always works since humans are horrible people who like watching other people suffer :twisted:

Pictured: The reason why Gene is one of the best characters in this contest.

And then the date turned out to be an atrocious person regardless of what Gene was trying to do anyway. Hilarious! (For us, anyway :twisted: ).

There's nothing more coherent I can say to this than "Bwahaha Gene-baby you're awesome I love you".

The banter about Gene's dead cat and the three fish he ate was funny because it was unexpected, but sort of sad and lonely at the same time because it implies she has no friends or family with her... very nice layering of emotions going on there...

And then it turns out not to be sad after all because her family is all still alive and kicking. *chortle*

And then Gene's emotions turns out to be complicated anyway because she's going to be the first one in her family to die and she feels that it's incredibly unfair.

And finally the climax of the story comes right in Chapter 4. I love the rising structure of this story. It has the exposition (protagonist is dealing with terminal illness = instant hook) inciting incident (meet with spirit who's trying to kill you - more hooking) accident at workplace (an exciting incident, but still somewhat impersonal), date gone horribly wrong (more personal and more emotions are involved), and finally the climax with burglars invading Gene's house and putting a gun in her face (incredibly tense and frightening - this time it's her house, a nominally safe place, that's being invaded, and the threat of getting your brains blasted out is always a good way to raise the stakes).

And then of course Gene completely and utterly snaps, which is hilarious because the burglars run away and she's still swearing and cursing when the police arrives. The concept is great, but the execution... is somehow not as exciting as it could be? I think the ellipses at the beginning and end of each swear slows down the place a little... I usually don't recommend liberal application of foul words and exclamation marks, but I think it's necessary in this part to convey the feeling of the curses just crashing out of her mouth like a raging river of piss.

The "But I was alive" repetition is close to the "I'm going to die" repetition in The Day I Died, but again, it feels natural and spontaneous instead of irritating because it's used judiciously and not repeated wholesale - we get variations of it instead. And it conveys the intended emotional effect perfectly.

Pictured: The reason why this VN is not currently in my top three (it's fourth, just so you know). The "Hey, so this is the moral of the story!" thing at the end is just atrocious. It completely took me out of the story and made me see Gene as just a storytelling vehicle instead of a living, breathing human being. Ironic, when she's talking about being alive.

Typo in the epilogue: "lived a full livelife"

The epilogue actually doesn't bother me that much. The last line is quite touching. It's just the monologue of realization that Gene spews at the spirit that really bugs me.

If someone makes the right arguments, though, I might be persuaded into putting this in third place...

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#265 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Anarchy wrote:Living Through Disaster

Pictured: The reason why this VN is not currently in my top three (it's fourth, just so you know). The "Hey, so this is the moral of the story!" thing at the end is just atrocious. It completely took me out of the story and made me see Gene as just a storytelling vehicle instead of a living, breathing human being. Ironic, when she's talking about being alive.

The epilogue actually doesn't bother me that much. The last line is quite touching. It's just the monologue of realization that Gene spews at the spirit that really bugs me.

If someone makes the right arguments, though, I might be persuaded into putting this in third place...
This is among my top 3 choices.
-- Yes, the very, very end was just a little too heavy-handed on the theme, and there was a little typo, but that was IT. Everything else worked just fine. Gene was a wonderful character in a damned fine story that actually made me laugh out loud more than once.

Let me put it this way...
-- I played all 29 games, but only remember a tiny handful of them. This is not only one I remember, but one I remember with a smile.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#266 Post by Blane Doyle »

OK SECOND GO. LemmaSoft broke on me so I have to write this out again...
I am going to be replying to these from supposed shortest game to longest game.

The Day I Died

... Aghsghals. I... I actually don't mind writing negative reviews... but not when I know the creator is probably going to SEE IT. Forgive me, but I am trying not to make this too soft and keep it honest.

Writing: Well... it's not... BAD... per say. But I can't really bring myself to call it very good. The dialogue is the only thing that stood out as alright, but that is because it didn't feel as forced as the inner monologue and the entry felt like it was mostly inner monologue.

The entire game actually felt more like a rough draft of a script. Everything was short. Very very short. And there were multiple typos that I caught, and I was certain I saw grammatical errors a couple times. This entry could have benefited from proof reading.

The game went by very quickly as it was not only short but extremely fast paced. This is not a good thing. The jumpiness of the pacing and how fast some scenes went by made me almost stop playing. This entry isn't even 2000 words long as the pacing almost made me stop reading so... that's very not good. The scenes almost felt unnaturally fast at times as well.

In addition, it was very difficult to tell who was talking and what was really going on at times. There seemed to be characters who talked to the protagonist who were never introduced, given proper explination, or... anything. They would show up for a couple lines and vanish and I would be left wondering "was that the spirit girl or not?" and that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I also agree with everyone else that the title was a very poor choice.

Finally, that ending... that ending came on far too quickly. What happened? Honestly, someone tell me what happened.

... I hesitate to call this poor writing... more like... poor execution?

Technical: ... I hate to say it, but what technical aspects were used? Honestly? There were no transitions for... anything. Not for sprite expressions, not for scene changes, certainly not for music changes. The lack of transitions got very annoying at the end as well.
There were times where the sprite changed and the text box would flicker away as well, and the white flashing... hurt my eyes at the beginning.

Speaking of the text box- I don't feel the writing style of this entry lent itself well to the chosen style of the story, NVL. It would have worked out much better as an ADV game, as it was heavily script like. In fact, use of ADV probably would have made me enjoy the game more.

Asset Use: Not too bad, but it left something to be desired in everything but music. The music use, at least to me, was very nice. It fit the scenes it was put to. The sprite, however, sometimes did not have the expression matching what her words came across as. And the backgrounds... some of them felt distinctly shoehorned in for the sake of use.

Prompt Use: Ah, good! Something I did like. I did like the basic idea behind this entry, to tell the truth. The idea is simple, if slightly cliche, but it was a good idea. Honestly, if this entry had a bit more time put into it I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Final: The entry, in a word? Lackluster.
Not particularly bad, but not particularly good either.
Just... there.
I am so sorry author... really I am. I feel so bad for posting this...

LieselSolo
Regular

#267 Post by LieselSolo »

"The Final Test"

It's definitely a creative idea to make a sim game from the prompt. I enjoy stat-based sim games, so this was fun for me. The endings you get when maxing out a single skill were hilarious, especially the "brains" one. The different trips were neat too. The one with the homeless man made me want to cry and I love how the spirit sings A Whole New World during the karaoke trip, though the whole "the world must be made anew because people are polluting the world" thing felt rather cliche.

However, it feels like the entry was sent in without proofreading. Right at the beginning, it says you have "30 ddays" to save the world. A typo like that should have been caught when proofreading the game. There were quite a few other typos as well. Plus, when you choose to do homework at the beginning, going to class and volunteering reference the world being destroyed even though you haven't met the spirit yet. Not proofreading before entering makes the game look sloppy.

Another thing - can you lose? I'm guessing you can, but every time I played I saved the world. I'm guessing you CAN lose, but I haven't found a way to yet. It seems like it's a bit too easy to save the world.

And why wasn't there any music?

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#268 Post by Blane Doyle »

Meaning

Writing: Again, we have another entry with pacing problems. Too fast, much too fast. Each scene felt far too short and without proper narration, everything just came flying by. In addition, the characters seem very flat. The main character left a bad taste in my mouth, as she felt very much like a stereotypical mostly-unemotional teenager with anger issues because that's really all there is to her through the story. We get on inkling about why she is like this, if she questions anything brought up, nothing.

And then, poof, the ending happens.

I... I really have no more to say about the writing here. It's poor.

Technical: It seems that the writer here did not realize that the separate name box was available. The names are in the text box, and this means that the size of the box is constantly changing.

In addition, transitions were also lacking in this entry. This was very very annoying, as with The Day I Died. Transitions, at least for music and scene changes, seem to be a requirement for me to enjoy visual novels.

Asset Use: Again, for a very short entry this game used many assets. However, despite how fast paces I felt the story was they fit the purpose it was trying to have so... not too bad.

I felt the reasoning for the sprite's ears and mobile a bit weak though.

Prompt Use: Very very simple and very very overdone story. It could have been done better. The use of the prompt was interesting, however.

Final: I just did not enjoy this entry at all... I actually enjoyed the last one more.

My Entry

Writing: ........ I... I have no words, I am sorry. Is this... a troll entry? A parody? Absurdism? I am confused...

Technical: Uh...

Asset Use: They were used alright...

Prompt Use: ... well, it was an interesting idea given what was to be used with it I suppose...

Final: I don't even know... really, I don't even know. I have no words. They have been destroyed. I felt like I should have enjoyed this but... I didn't. Not even as a joke. I was just staring at my screen in confusion.

I'll start reading Who Are You? later on tonight or tomorrow... I need a break...

Pyrephox

#269 Post by Pyrephox »

Oh, wow. I'd gotten so busy in RL, I'd almost completely forgotten about this!

Anyway.... impressions!

Anniversaries, Adversity, and Pepper

First Impression: The introduction is a bit infodumpy for my tastes, but the writing is crisp, clean, and easily understandable. The image of blood on the stones sets up the stakes nicely, and depending on your choices, also serves as decent foreshadowing.

Characters: The characters are a little thin. I think that may have a lot to do with the choice to narrate about past disasters rather than let us see how the MC or Pepper deal with an ongoing disaster. Still, Pepper is cute. The MC is, hmm, my brain tends to read all of their narration and dialogue in kind of a dull monotone. Doesn't really sound angry, but certainly exasperated.

Plot: This is where the story shines, I think. I like how your choices can go to such extremes, and I think the author did a really good job of integrating your choices into the narration to make things build to a logical conclusion. Both the 'love' and the 'death' ending are still a bit far out, but nowhere nearly as bad as they could have been, and I could easily see the friendship and the abandonment endings happening.

Overall: It made me smile. I would have liked to see more immediacy to the conflict; it's hard to really understand how Pepper has ruined the MC's life with narrated past events. Even a small but notable disaster on the walk could have made it more clear, and the stakes higher.

The Final Test

First Impression: Abrupt. You're kinda tossed into the story, and it stays fast and short throughout. There's some flickers of amusing humor, but the MC is bland and there's just not enough attention devoted to the stat-building scenes or the story to really make me want to play it through enough times to get every possible ending. Also, there are several typos/errors that detract from the whole picture.

Characters: I admit that I enjoy how gosh-darned gleeful the spirit is about getting to destroy the world. Other than that, the characters didn't really stick with me to any degree.

Plot: The plot seems pretty simplistic, really. I was looking forward to stat-raising, because I'm a compulsive sort of gamer person who wants to RAISE ALL THE STATS, but it was repetitious enough, and the milestones were abrupt enough that I never really got into it.

Overall: There's the seed of a good idea here; I really like the premise. But it feels very abrupt and rushed, and doesn't grab me enough to justify several playthroughs.

Lady Misfortune

First Impression: So many giggles. The snappy dialogue has good comic timing, and this is the first one I played through where I actually laughed out loud (and at work, too!). "Walk my hair," if you must know...I'm easily amused. DON'T JUDGE.

Characters: I love Alex. One of the more believable MCs I've played through so far. The author also hits the right note by not telling us that the protagonist has an unexceptional life, but by showing us. Mallory is amusing, although she falls into the same archetype of most of the SoDs so far.

Plot: More time is spent on fleshing out the interactions of the characters than in some of the other VNs, and it shows in how the interactions feel a bit deeper and more meaningful. I could empathize more with Alex's dilemma and even with Mallory, since there was more of an opportunity for characters to interact, and she's a bit deeper than the initial impression. The plot is fairly simple, but logical and interesting. I enjoyed following it all the way through, and didn't find myself skipping text or skimming.

Overall: I really enjoyed this one. It struck a good balance between funny and poignant, the character work was good, and the plot was solid. A few errors in the text stood out mostly because everything else worked so /well/. Definitely a fun one to read.

Pyrephox

#270 Post by Pyrephox »

PyTom wrote: Sepia

This game has some major technical flaws. The biggest one is that it
overrides the user-set text speed, and sets it to something far too
slow for me. So that makes it hard to read. It also has a character
that speaks in black text with a black drop-shadow - again, hard to
read.

After about 10-15 minutes of reading, the game failed to draw me
in - especially given the annoyance of the technical aspect. So I
dropped it.
I really liked the idea of this game, and of some of the technical implementations. I got what the author was going for with the dark text and the grey text, and the slow text speed, and I think it did help with immersion.

At first.

After a while (and this is a long story without branching), it began to grate on the nerves. And being in the MC's head wasn't...really a pleasant place to be. Yes, he's autistic, and yes, it's nice to see an autistic MC, but again, long story with someone who was unsympathetic enough to make it a trial to stay in that headspace. This really could have used some sort of variation in the angst.