Milk~La légende des étoiles (Cowgirls & aliens) EP5 RELEASED

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Helianthus
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous, Ambre, HVNCML, Garden of Oblivion, Wounded by Words
Projects: Chronotopia, Khzi and the Cursed Stone
Organization: Träumendes Mädchen
Tumblr: TraumendesMadchen

Milk~La légende des étoiles (Cowgirls & aliens) EP5 RELEASED

#1 Post by Helianthus »

An ambitious episodic series mixing together comedy, drama, adventure and fantasy elements.
Trapped for eternity, God gets bored and decides to have fun playing around with mortals. His choice? A marginal teenager seeking for a future calledTarô Caligula, who is living in a world where cows have an humanoid look. He will then come across five girls that this unpredictable divinity placed on the way : two of them are the heirs of a distant forgotten past, key of the secret behind the existence of humanoid cows ; two others takes root in the present, brave girls wishing to shape themselves ; the last represents the future and holds the power to revolutionize the world. It’s up to Tarô to find the true, with the help of a mysterious alien who seems to know him…but what exactly is her role ?

This is not his choice, but yours. But be sure not to upset the God of this world or you'll see through a strange deception...
Boy in Distress (20/02/2013)
ImageImageImageImage

The Girl Who Fell to Earth (19/03/2014)
ImageImageImageImage

The Fantastic Odyssey (29/09/2014)
ImageImageImageImage

Before the Storm (14/04/2015)
ImageImageImageImage

Orpheus in the Underworld (07/11/2015)
ImageImageImageImage

Get the game on our website !
Since the entire game is really too big and too ambitious (500 000 words written in total), we decided to release it as several chapters/episodes until the common route is fully revealed, then the heroines’ routes in a certain order, if everything goes well. We’ll take advantage of this to improve the game gradually. Anyways, we’ll try to release a chapter/episode every six months starting from now. I hope you’ll enjoy the entire visual novel in the end ^_^

This is a topic for you to talk about the content of our game. Any comment is welcome :wink: . If you want to see our progress with the next episode, here's our WIP topic.
We're a french team and we wanted to do our best to let you read the story, that's why we took a lot of our time to try translating our game. Yet we translated the script in such a hurry (because of an urgent deadline) that we didn’t have time nor possibilities to ask English folks to proofread for us, so the game may contain mistakes. If you happen to see sentences that seem wrong, typos or oddities, please report to us, so that we can correct the script in a later version.
Last edited by Helianthus on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 17 times in total.

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

Re: Milk ~ La légende des étoiles [BxG] (Episode 1 Released)

#2 Post by ririruetoo »

Downloading right now! I have to say this is one of the most interesting Visual novels I've ever seen...Which is awesome.
ImageImageImage

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#3 Post by netravelr »

Congrats on your release! I'll try it out at some point when I get some free time at home. Cheers!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

Helianthus
Regular

#4 Post by Helianthus »

Thank you very much everyone ! ^__^

It has been one hell of a ride for us to finish this little something, but I think the experience was worth it.
I hope the production of the next chapter/episode will be easier :)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

I decided to try it out after reading the description, and I have to say that it's indeed pretty strange. Here are my thoughts on it:

* The translation needs some serious work. A lot of grammar errors throughout, making it pretty hard to understand. Maybe it would be better to hire a translator or something.

* The intro was pretty confusing, and it had a completely different feel to the rest of the story. I honestly had no clue what was going on until we dropped into the main character's house, besides the fact that they were some all-powerful godlike figure and the main character was waxing philosophical. If felt very off-putting and completely random when there was no other info to go on.

* The main character's life isn't really described much to begin with. Why is he so reticient and hedonistic? How did he become friends with the other dude, and so on? And why is there a robot there when he lives on a farm? Is this the far future? The present day? It starts far too much "in medias res" and expects the reader to figure it out.

* It seems to me as if it's parodying the dating game concept by having everything that happens be on purpose. But in that case, I think the player should have an influence on what happens in the story. Maybe they can play as the "godlike narrator" and set off random events, much to the main character's chagrin.

Personally, the way I would have started it would have been more simple, the main character is a lonely, jaded farm boy who wakes up to realize that someone is interfering with his life, by making the cows women or something equally zany that only he realizes is different, and he has to try to figure out what's going on. Right now, it doesn't draw readers into the story from the beginning, just feels too confounding. The fairy woman should be revealed later and mysteriously, not from the very beginning of the story.

Helianthus
Regular

#6 Post by Helianthus »

Hello SundownKid, thank you for trying our demo and commenting it :)
SundownKid wrote:* The translation needs some serious work. A lot of grammar errors throughout, making it pretty hard to understand. Maybe it would be better to hire a translator or something.
I did warn we didnt have English proofreaders. Translating French > English when you’re not a native is kinda difficult, so we really couldn’t do any better. That’s why we asked help from Lemmasoft folks a while ago. Sadly, there are still mistakes everywhere, so please, if you see them, tell us where and which, so that we can improve ourselves.

Also we don’t have money, we can’t hire professional translators if that’s what you mean… :(
SundownKid wrote:* The intro was pretty confusing, and it had a completely different feel to the rest of the story. I honestly had no clue what was going on until we dropped into the main character's house, besides the fact that they were some all-powerful godlike figure and the main character was waxing philosophical. If felt very off-putting and completely random when there was no other info to go on.
The intro is made to be a little confusing. I’m sorry you didn’t understand it was metafictionnal though (like, you know, she’s telling you she created a show just for you, a show that is, well, the game itself). The thing is, I can’t reveal anything about that part yet because…it has to be later (for scenaristic reasons). But really, it’s only a small part of the game, is that bothering you that much compared to the rest of the story (which is way easier to follow, I think) ?
SundownKid wrote:* The main character's life isn't really described much to begin with. Why is he so reticient and hedonistic? How did he become friends with the other dude, and so on? And why is there a robot there when he lives on a farm? Is this the far future? The present day? It starts far too much "in medias res" and expects the reader to figure it out.
Have you finished the chapter/episode ? Because, really, much of your questions are answered here. The latter half of the demo tells you how the MC become friend with the other male character, why he has become gloomy over the years (that is to say his personality is described in details), why there is a robot in his friend’s house (which is not a farm at all, and the characters even talk about the house a bit). Also the description and the overall story tell you it takes place in a “Modern Day Setting in a Fantasy World”.

So, as much as I understand why you feel confused with the beginning of the game, I don’t see why you think it’s not explained at all. Is it because of the translation ?
SundownKid wrote:* It seems to me as if it's parodying the dating game concept by having everything that happens be on purpose. But in that case, I think the player should have an influence on what happens in the story. Maybe they can play as the "godlike narrator" and set off random events, much to the main character's chagrin.

Personally, the way I would have started it would have been more simple, the main character is a lonely, jaded farm boy who wakes up to realize that someone is interfering with his life, by making the cows women or something equally zany that only he realizes is different, and he has to try to figure out what's going on. Right now, it doesn't draw readers into the story from the beginning, just feels too confounding. The fairy woman should be revealed later and mysteriously, not from the very beginning of the story.
It’s kind of you to propose your own vision of the game but it would break everything I have planned, so I can’t follow your advices ^^'.

If the MC realizes someone is interfering with his life (that is to say, you, the player), the story would break apart. Puppets don’t know they are just puppets. You already are the godlike narrator, you can read every character’s thoughts, you can toy with them a bit through choices. You just can't do whatever you want with the story, that's what the god tells you.
Moreover, the story is not about what “god” is doing with his life but about his life in itself and how circumstances (that you trigger) will help him to overcome his problems. It’s not full comedy, I have to let some space for more psychological descriptions later.

(If “god” is introduced later, then how can the story begin ? The story begins only because she started it.)

I know I shouldn’t quote Beckett in the game without highlighting it, people don’t see the reference to the Unnamable and what it means :?

JimG
Regular

#7 Post by JimG »

Hi, I'm only part way through but I really like this. Very strange circumstances, and the feeling is that everything is uncertain and in turmoil. I am playing the English version and I am not sure if the translation is good or not. It is hard to know if the translation is in error without being a native French speaker who is also fluent in English. I think that trying to correct the grammar without knowing the intended meaning could result in real mistakes.

I am reminded of an old tv show called "The Prisoner" where everything was confused and hard to grasp. It was a hit and a cult classic, and I hope that happens to your game as well.

I'm looking forward to finishing this chapter and hope to see the rest come out soon.

Thank you for making this.

Best Regards
Jim

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

Well, as I like to say, it doesn't matter how incredible the second part of your story is if the reader leaves halfway through. But, I'll play the rest and see what happens. Part of it must be from the translation, though, I really think it needs a complete runthrough again because there are a lot of issues with it.

Helianthus
Regular

#9 Post by Helianthus »

JimG wrote:Hi, I'm only part way through but I really like this. Very strange circumstances, and the feeling is that everything is uncertain and in turmoil. I am playing the English version and I am not sure if the translation is good or not. It is hard to know if the translation is in error without being a native French speaker who is also fluent in English. I think that trying to correct the grammar without knowing the intended meaning could result in real mistakes.

I am reminded of an old tv show called "The Prisoner" where everything was confused and hard to grasp. It was a hit and a cult classic, and I hope that happens to your game as well.

I'm looking forward to finishing this chapter and hope to see the rest come out soon.

Thank you for making this.
Thank you JimG.

There were some parts in the translation that I corrected because people didn’t really understand what I meant (they didn’t catch a reference, for example), so I think you’re right : the translator must be fluent in both languages to do a perfect job. Sadly, it’s not that easy to find people who are good with French AND English. So we’re simply doing our best !

I was kinda worried people would judge the game only on its first minutes (I wanted to create an uncertain atmosphere so that the player would be wondering what is going on) and disregard the rest of the story, but I’m glad to see I didn’t scare/bore everybody :)
Being compared to the Prisoner is very flattering XD
SundownKid wrote:Well, as I like to say, it doesn't matter how incredible the second part of your story is if the reader leaves halfway through. But, I'll play the rest and see what happens. Part of it must be from the translation, though, I really think it needs a complete runthrough again because there are a lot of issues with it.
If you think my story is boring, then please don’t force yourself, I don’t think it will make the game more enjoyable this way. One cannot please everybody and I certainly didn’t expect my style to be to the liking of every member of the forum :wink:

But I think I should highlight something that visibly haven’t been very clear : this is only the first chapter/episode of a much bigger story. Time to update the first post ! 8)

Rinrinnya
Regular

#10 Post by Rinrinnya »

I read through all of episode 1 .w. And I really love it. The art is so cute, the characters are fun, and for me, at least, the protagonist is understandable. The music sounds good too .w. I think there are a few grammar mistakes, but you captured the concepts you were trying to portray in your French one and effectively placed them in your English one, so it turned out very good. I really like the story. I feel you did everything right when working on a BxG vn with moe characters. Waiting for more!!
Haven't made any development blogs yet, so to keep this colorful, here's my Puricute account! <3333 (That I sadly can't update very often... T^T)

Helianthus
Regular

#11 Post by Helianthus »

To celebrate the release of Episode 2, I’ve completely revamped the topic so that it’ll look better. You can now watch each trailer instead of reading a long list of character descriptions and the screenshots are all clickable !

Anyways, we’re very happy to show you guys how we improved and we’re willing to keep improving, so don’t hesitate to give us any feedback, it will be very much welcome :P
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rinrinnya wrote:I read through all of episode 1 .w. And I really love it. The art is so cute, the characters are fun, and for me, at least, the protagonist is understandable. The music sounds good too .w. I think there are a few grammar mistakes, but you captured the concepts you were trying to portray in your French one and effectively placed them in your English one, so it turned out very good. I really like the story. I feel you did everything right when working on a BxG vn with moe characters. Waiting for more!!
Thank you very much for your kind words, Rinrinnya. I hope you’ll like the next part of the story too, even though the setting is radically different ^__^.

Helianthus
Regular

Re: Milk~La légende des étoiles (Cowgirls & aliens) EP3 RELE

#12 Post by Helianthus »

Six months after the previous one, Episode 3 is out! With 100% more alien madness :lol:
Last time, the story focused on the adventures of an albino mercenary travelling from planet to planet to accomplish dangerous missions. In this Episode, her mission gets complicated as the High Priest heading the church wants her companions dead or alive! Will she be able to retrieve the meteorite’s fragments while protecting the slave she took in on the way? You’ll find out soon ;).

Gabylc
Regular
Projects: Crossfire
Organization: Agape Studios
Tumblr: attackonbara

#13 Post by Gabylc »

Downloading right now! I will not be able to play it tonight, but I'll do it tomorrow that's for sure ;) And I realize I forgot to comment on your topic after playing episode 1&2, my bad.

At first I wasn't sure about this game, the plot was plain weird and I was a bit afrait to be honest (I read to many fanfictions, and I feared potential H-content haha XD) but in the end I had a good time (and I was totally paranoid about the content). The whole thing is indeed a bit strange, but a good kind of strange! Episodes 1 and 2 felt like 2 completely different games but I didn't mind it. I hope you will continue on the meta / breaking the 4th wall aspect of your project. It's a bit too early to have an opinion on the whole game, but I will continue palying it, I want to see more of what you can do with this universe ^^

(And it's nice to see other French projects! ;) )
Image Check our Attack on Titan fangame. Demo available here!

Helianthus
Regular

#14 Post by Helianthus »

Wow, this is really embarrassing because…I completely forgot to update the topic :oops: . Better late than never?

Anyway, Episode 4 is out!

Khzi and her team hold a series of half-baked plans in order to outwit the priests on their heels. The mercenaries don’t know that the worst is yet to come: a storm is brewing…
Gabylc wrote:Downloading right now! I will not be able to play it tonight, but I'll do it tomorrow that's for sure ;) And I realize I forgot to comment on your topic after playing episode 1&2, my bad.

At first I wasn't sure about this game, the plot was plain weird and I was a bit afrait to be honest (I read to many fanfictions, and I feared potential H-content haha XD) but in the end I had a good time (and I was totally paranoid about the content). The whole thing is indeed a bit strange, but a good kind of strange! Episodes 1 and 2 felt like 2 completely different games but I didn't mind it. I hope you will continue on the meta / breaking the 4th wall aspect of your project. It's a bit too early to have an opinion on the whole game, but I will continue palying it, I want to see more of what you can do with this universe ^^

(And it's nice to see other French projects! ;) )
I’ve already replied to some of your feedback through the other forum but I forgot this message X').

I do understand your apprehension considering many people thought I was going to do some kind of hentai-game because of the cows-girl thing. And each time, I was like “No, why would I do that 0_o ? Cows are cute!” I guess we all saw too many strange things with animal ears on the internet… :lol:

The rift between Episode 1 and the following ones is kind of a tricky gamble, I must admit I didn’t choose the easiest way to present my story! But I’m glad you like it and I hope you’ll enjoy the next ones as well :D . I swear everything will make sense one day!

Helianthus
Regular

Re: Milk~La légende des étoiles (Cowgirls & aliens) EP5 RELE

#15 Post by Helianthus »

Roundly six months after the previous one, Episode 5 is out!

It’s the end of Khzi’s journey. The albino and her companions have to defeat the High Priest once and for all, but an ominous feeling is telling them that things won’t end as nicely as they want.

As the synopsis is giving away, this Episode will be the end of Khzi’s adventures. If you’ve stopped at some point, it’s the perfect moment to start up reading again!
Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the story, because sadly Episode 6 won’t be available before a while. More details to come in a future post on the devblog so be sure to follow it closely :)