That Cheap and Sacred Thing - Drama/Sci-fi

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
carosene
Veteran
Completed: That Cheap and Sacred Thing

Re: That Cheap and Sacred Thing - Drama/Sci-fi

#16 Post by carosene »

I am so shocked that TCAST is getting such a strong, immediate, positive reaction. Thank you guys so much! :D
teacup wrote:The CGs were also very pretty *w* I think I stared at each of them a REALLY long time XD
Leaux, the lineartist, and Verity, the CG colorist, HAD MAD SKILLZ. So glad to hear you like their work! 8D
rubythorns wrote:That was beautiful. I got the AI references, though the story is definately different. Very good science fiction. The story reminded me of Asmov's Three Laws of Robotics, which are totally violated. XD I really liked the themes of love and the comparison between humans and robots. Though I am of the oppionion that robots and humans aren't that different at all. Both are run on electrical impulses and a form of "programming." Ah the joys of biology and psychology. . .

Though I have to say:
I thought it was very touching that Autumn saved both Elly and Jude on the mini disk. Mabey someday she can purchase robot shells so that they can "live" again.
If there was a sequel, I could see her having to choose one or love both indefinately. An interesting plot being that an actual human becomes significant in her life and what her robot companions' reactions would be.

Also, I thought it was really neat that the bonus had a gallery of CGs, backgrounds, and sprites. I really look forward to seeing Darlings Lost.
Very glad you think it can stand on it's own. XD I was afraid I accidentally made a clone story of AI.
I'd never heard of Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics, which I just googled, and I wish I did, because I think I accidentally wrote about them without knowing about them. XD That's awesome!
Humans and robots aren't that different, are they! That's the thought that got this sucker started. :) Yay for electricity!
Thanks for the sequel thoughts and I'm grateful that you're looking forward to Darlings Lost. :D
VenusEclipse wrote:Congratulations for finishing the game. It's one of the few kinetic novel that I took my time playing, and loved. When you didn't come back to post on your WIP thread, I thought it was dead. I could feel the personalities of every character.
I will definitely recommending people to play it. :mrgreen:
When I didn't come back to my WIP thread? XD Which time? *cough*
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RECOMMENDING IT. I'm really grateful. :D
wayouthere wrote:LOL I just finished! I can't stop crying, this reminds me of another thing I read (I cried A LOT then).

Congrats, great game! It's really sad but sweet with I really good story. I like the artwork, especially the menu picture and after playing, it takes on a greater meaning! (... I love Autumn's plan for her 18th birthday!)
CRYING BRIGADE, UNITE! *comes with tissues and hugs and fresh cookies*
You are the first person, even out of my beta-testers, to comment on the menu picture! XD I'm so glad you noticed!
SilverxBlue wrote:Just finished playing it and I must say, this is one of the very few Kinetic Novels I came to love.
The story was just so beautiful and the characters are so endearing, I would have cried if I hadn't braced myself... I was reading the comments while I was downloading, that's why.:)
Jude's body with Elly's system sprites were really cute, by the way. I totally "LOL'ed" at them. XD
Add me to your list of people who wants and would willingly wait for a sequel.
And also, good luck in Darlings Lost~ :)
Thank you so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :D
Glad you liked those. XD Leaux sent me back the lineart for those and I'm like "COMPLETE AND TOTAL WIN." Morhighan, who colored those, did a great job too. :D
*adds to list* Thanks for the luck! XD I'll need it!
GlassHeart wrote:Best kinetic novel ever! At least best that I've ever played. While I was waiting for the download I read the comments and as SilverxBlue said, I would've cried had I not known it was going to be sad.
I almost did when I saw the final CG with Jude half destroyed.
I just love a good story that can stir up emotions inside you and make you care about the characters, especially since it was a rather short story. I was glad at the end when
Autumn said she was going to buy two EternaLovers. That would be interesting to see, but to be honest I don't think I'd want a sequel, I like not knowing what will happen. (If there was one I'd still play it though :lol: )
All in all, amazing game!
Best kinetic novel ever?! XD I'm a narcissist already, don't make my head any bigger than it needs to be. XD
I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! :D
That's where my dilemma is too. I love the high-impact ending, and frankly I'm scared I won't be able to do a sequel that does TCAST justice. ^-^;; But the characters and the setting is ripe for further exploration so... Who knows. XD
RemnantDream wrote:That was amazing ^^ I usually can't stand kinetic novels but I loved this. I was close to crying. And I never cry :o
JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDEE T-T
<33
Thank you so much! XD
(Somehow, you typing that got Lady Gaga's "Judas" stuck in my head. XD)
OtomeWeekend wrote:God, its finally released!!! *dances*

I've been really waiting for this! *downloads*

Will give feedback later! XDD
MaiMai wrote:Congratulations on your release! :) I will try this later and give my thoughts.
Thank you guys! :D I look forward to your feedback!
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

chensterrain
Veteran
Completed: Lucky Rabbit Reflex!, Dusk ~A Moonlight Romance~
Projects: Edge of Elsewhere
Organization: Super63
Tumblr: supersixthree
Deviantart: chensterrain

#17 Post by chensterrain »

Brilliant game! I'm generally not a fan of kinetic novels either, but this one had me hooked pretty much instantly, and the characters and writing were top-notch.
I was definitely thinking 'huh, isn't this the plot to A.I.?' most of the way through, but you put your own spin on things and it worked very well. (Plus, to be fair, most stories involving robots and love end up covering similar themes either way - I really liked the way this game handled them).

Also, Juuuude D:

I totally would. :wink:
I don't think this game necessarily needs a sequel, but I'll definitely be looking forward to your next game! :)

carosene
Veteran

#18 Post by carosene »

chensterrain wrote:Brilliant game! I'm generally not a fan of kinetic novels either, but this one had me hooked pretty much instantly, and the characters and writing were top-notch.
I was definitely thinking 'huh, isn't this the plot to A.I.?' most of the way through, but you put your own spin on things and it worked very well. (Plus, to be fair, most stories involving robots and love end up covering similar themes either way - I really liked the way this game handled them).

Also, Juuuude D:

I totally would. :wink:
I don't think this game necessarily needs a sequel, but I'll definitely be looking forward to your next game! :)
Thank you soo much. :D
Thanks for your thoughts. XD I'm very happy it seems to have redeemed it's closeness to AI.

LOL! That's 'cause Leaux is a killer lineartist. XD I would too!
Thanks for the encouragement! XD
*goes to work on it*
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#19 Post by MaiMai »

Okay I finished! Whoo, go speed reading.

First of all, you have a very wonderful, straight forward, but still compelling style of writing. It made me pay attention and want to finish from beginning to end.

The setting that was established with all the robots and androids were very interesting and in regards to the plot, it work super well. Since I don't feel like making spoiler tags to highlight certain moments, I just have to say that this is probably one of my favorite amateur VNs now for the story and writing. I can't wait to see what you do for your next piece of work! :)

Also, I want to commend you for sticking with this project even though you went through some rough spots during development. Your commitment to finishing this is something everyone on LSF (especially me) should look up to as an example.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

carosene
Veteran

#20 Post by carosene »

Thank you so much for your kind comments! :D (It's your favorite? XD For reals? Aww!)

An example?! XD Wow, I'm honored.
I never would have finished it without the support of LSF. o.o (Well, literally, because I found my artists here XD) But if I didn't have the support and help, I doubt I would've had the inspiration to finish it. Thanks to you guys! 8D
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

SyphyChan
Veteran
Projects: Syphethia's Discoveries

#21 Post by SyphyChan »

*sniffle* The best kinetic visual novel I've ever read. So saaaaad!
I'm sooooo glad Jude was destroyed for ever!
I loved it so much!!!!! Wonderful BRAVO!
Last edited by SyphyChan on Tue May 31, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carosene
Veteran

#22 Post by carosene »

Aww, thank you so much! XD I'm so glad you liked it!

It probably doesn't matter too much because it's a kinetic novel and we're on the second page, but it'd probably good if you used spoiler tags to hide spoilery bits.
I mean, someone might want to be surprised to find out Jude is destroyed forever. o.o Or maybe he isn't. Or something. Not spoiling!
He isn't, last time I checked. XD
Last edited by carosene on Tue May 31, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

SyphyChan
Veteran

#23 Post by SyphyChan »

Omg im sorry I didnt even think about it I'll edit it!

carosene
Veteran

#24 Post by carosene »

That's fine! :D Thanks for editing!
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

SyphyChan
Veteran

#25 Post by SyphyChan »

No problem. Anyway You are an amazing writer! Good work and I'll be looking forward to your next one XD

NatsukiDeath
Veteran
Completed: Life's....Complex
Projects: "Another Way VN" , "Phantom of the Opera VN" , "LoveChub?!"

#26 Post by NatsukiDeath »

....Wow this was absolutely touching and definitely one to remember and make others know about , thank you so much for creating this!

I had such a enjoying time reading this! Makes one cry or stand back a moment in awe~

if ever a sequel or anything a like to this I'll be rooting all the way!~

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#27 Post by Watercolorheart »

FUCK YEAH, IT'S OUT! I don't care if I was just the BG artist, gonna go pimp this thing out now. :lol:

The hilarious part is that even though it shares a few backgrounds with Sum of the Parts, the story implies that it could be canon for my project too.
I'm not even the same person anymore

carosene
Veteran

#28 Post by carosene »

vnluver wrote:No problem. Anyway You are an amazing writer! Good work and I'll be looking forward to your next one XD
Thank you so much! :D So glad to hear it! :D
NatsukiDeath wrote:....Wow this was absolutely touching and definitely one to remember and make others know about , thank you so much for creating this!

I had such a enjoying time reading this! Makes one cry or stand back a moment in awe~

if ever a sequel or anything a like to this I'll be rooting all the way!~
Awww! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
Thank you so much! X3
BCS wrote:FUCK YEAH, IT'S OUT! I don't care if I was just the BG artist, gonna go pimp this thing out now. :lol:

The hilarious part is that even though it shares a few backgrounds with Sum of the Parts, the story implies that it could be canon for my project too.
PIMP IT, BCS, PIMP IT!!
Whataya mean just the BG artist? XD Those suckers are beautiful and indespensible!

Lol, for serious? XD I'm afraid I don't even know anything about Sum of the Parts. o.o *fail* You'll have to fill me in. :D
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#29 Post by Watercolorheart »

Ahh, I will. I will be doing some major work on Bliss Stage's character and mecha animations in Flash, but hey—I just noticed some of those backgrounds are in two different styles. If that annoys you, we can do a rerelease later on this year to fix that minor quibble.

Well, Sum of the Parts is also a ten-minutes-in-the-future Scifi story where a public android would be a little shocking, but not out of place. You know how the newest Ren'Py version has Android support? I wanted to just try porting my old projects (Controlled Chaos, Shadows in Noise, Sum of the Parts, Always Darkest Before Dawn) over just to try it out, but I haven't had much luck.

Part of what I wanted to do this summer was that I know that 80% of the writing is complete and that the rest is in JinzouTamashii's GoogleDocs and I was going to try to release a smaller version of SoTP with JUST the Amos/Tessa path and leave the major release for later since I have enough assets to put it all back together and try to learn the quirks of the newest Ren'Py release.

So my amusement was that That Cheap and Sacred Thing shares a hell of a lot of themes in common with it. Mind you, I made the thread when I was very... ill... so some of the posts are a bit scattershot, but here's its thread: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =29&t=6222

Also... I startled playing it, and, er, I forgot that the main character was named Autumn and her robot was Elly and the beginning conversation kind of hit close to home, like right in the gut, close to home. Rock on, TCAST. You're still relevant to me nearly a year later, and now I realize why I hopped on the project in the first place.

Gonna be honest, I've just been letting the music loop in the background. Carosene... have you thought of starting a indie VN studio?
I'm not even the same person anymore

carosene
Veteran

#30 Post by carosene »

Psht, it doesn't annoy me. XD

Oh I see. :) Interesting! I wish you the best of luck with it!

I'm so glad it does! XD That'd be bad if you were like "Yeah... this sucked... why'd I work on it again...?"

Indie studio? Like make commercial releases, or like form a VN-making circle?

(Sorry I was away for a little bit ^-^;;)
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA