House 666 (horror, mystery)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
PrivateEyes
Regular
Completed: House 666
Projects: Shattered Eternity

House 666 (horror, mystery)

#1 Post by PrivateEyes »

Alright, this took way longer than expected (due to my hiatus XD) but its finally done!

House 666, a short horror/mystery KN. Brought to you by the creative mind of PrivateEyes XD

Just some tips while playing:

1. When there seems to be breaks in the game, note that they are on purpose. Usually, they are accompanied by a sound effect. So let the game do its thing and don't click to move forward lol
2. HIGHLY recommended you play this game at night, in the dark, where it's quiet lol If you play it in the morning or in a sunny area, the game loses its charm.
3. Use earphones or headphones if you have them to amplify sounds for a better experience.

This game is highly dependant on the music, sound effects, and visuals. For the full game experience, I highly recommend following the tips above. d^__^b

Rated: 16+ due to some mature subject matter and graphic scenarios (blood, violence)

Here's the game introduction I used in the WIP section

In the late fall of 1975, freelancer detective Edward Arcanus goes to the infamous town of Insigma, determined to uncover the mysteries within its borders. Once being a satanic town as well as the secret experimentation zone of the Nazi regime, the entire history of the town is veiled in bloodshed and madness. However, the truth might be too much for him to handle as he begins his exploration of House 666...

Edward Arcanus
Original artist: ebimayo

Edward Arcanus comes from a family branch directly connected to the famous Phantom Thief Lupin. However, the family tree was considered a black sheep (since all the previous generations wanted to be detectives, not thieves) and all connections to Lupin were soon forgotten. Ever since he was a child, Edward has always been a cheerful kid interested in mysteries, folklore, and myths. Always at the top of his class and making friends easily, he was a genius who graduated university at the young age of 17. He has never been in a serious relationship, as his obsession with mysteries usually turned possible pursuers off. However, he might have had feelings for Shari Ovaltsk because shortly after her disappearance, he became moody and cynical, as well as have left his veteran position at the agency.

Shari Ovaltsk
Original Artist: Bikuto Ryuu

With her haughty and cold personality, Russian detective Shari was not an instant favourite when she transferred into Edward's detective agency. Paired up with Edward, their light and day personalities continuously clashed yet at the same time, it was also the very reason why they grew to trust each other. Rumours had spread that they were engaged, for she had sewed the Ovaltsk family crest onto Edward's suit pocket (the same one as on her wrist). These were merely speculations however. Shari shortly disappeared during a solo mission in the late winter of 1973...

Rosy Eni
Original Artist: bitaraga

A busty individual, she is the librarian of Insigma. Strangely enough, she seems to be the only individual left in the town. Could there be more to her than meets the eye?

Approx: (7000-8000 words)

Anyways, enjoy my first work and remember to comment and offer feedback!

To me, the thing that motivates me to keep making these are knowing that people read my work :)

link: http://www.2shared.com/file/bykVHiei/House_666-all.html
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xcguz6sijpbumef
Last edited by PrivateEyes on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Why live if in the end, we all die? I guess to suffer? I really have no clue.....

Please visit my Youtube channel! :D http://www.youtube.com/user/YugiohGX913?feature=mhum

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

Re: House 666 (horror, mystery)

#2 Post by Desu_Cake »

Just after downloading and reading it.
First off, I'd advise you to actually build the distributions and put them up instead of the source code.

Onto the game itself, I thought it was...good. There were flaws, but the story was well told, and it's nice to see some good old fashioned horror around.
I think it could have done with at least one more piece of music, the quiet tune meant the climax didn't feel as climactic as it should have done. Also the art for the props was too jarring-the diary had a big white box around it for heavens sake. I think it would have been better without showing them, since you described them anyway.
Nonetheless, very enjoyable. It didn't actually scare me, but almost nothing does at this point so... :V

PrivateEyes
Regular

#3 Post by PrivateEyes »

Desu_Cake wrote:Just after downloading and reading it.
First off, I'd advise you to actually build the distributions and put them up instead of the source code.

Onto the game itself, I thought it was...good. There were flaws, but the story was well told, and it's nice to see some good old fashioned horror around.
I think it could have done with at least one more piece of music, the quiet tune meant the climax didn't feel as climactic as it should have done. Also the art for the props was too jarring-the diary had a big white box around it for heavens sake. I think it would have been better without showing them, since you described them anyway.
Nonetheless, very enjoyable. It didn't actually scare me, but almost nothing does at this point so... :V
Yeah I agree with the music at the last bit, I should have used something more dramatic :(
As for the white box, I actually left it there on purpose, seeing as how I see games have borders around their props. I should have made it less noticeable though :/

Anyway thanks for your feedback! :D
Why live if in the end, we all die? I guess to suffer? I really have no clue.....

Please visit my Youtube channel! :D http://www.youtube.com/user/YugiohGX913?feature=mhum

pleasethinkofme
Regular

#4 Post by pleasethinkofme »

Although the art looks really good, isn't the last girl a bit too shiny? Haha just my opinion though :P I'll probably play this when I have the time ^.^

PrivateEyes
Regular

#5 Post by PrivateEyes »

pleasethinkofme wrote:Although the art looks really good, isn't the last girl a bit too shiny? Haha just my opinion though :P I'll probably play this when I have the time ^.^

*__* Yeah you're right about that lol I actually made her much less shiny than she used to be XD

Let me know what you think! :)

Aoki Ko
Projects: Girl//∞//Paradox

#6 Post by Aoki Ko »

I downloaded it but how do I start the game up?

PrivateEyes
Regular

#7 Post by PrivateEyes »

Aoki Ko wrote:I downloaded it but how do I start the game up?
Download the game first. Next, unzip and extract the House 666 folder to you ren py 6.12.1 (or whatever version you are using) folder. Next, open up Ren'Py, go to Select Project, choose House 666, and then launch game.

I assume that's how you do it lol

EDIT: Ah just figured out how to Build Distributions lol Give me a second to update the link.

PrivateEyes
Regular

#8 Post by PrivateEyes »

Alright updated link. Should work now

Kuh-Couch

#9 Post by Kuh-Couch »

"Nur die Starken überleben, die Schwachen untergehen. Durch unsere Experimente, werden wir die Gesamtheit des Vaterlandes eine Tötungsmaschine zu machen."
-> "Nur die Starken überleben, die Schwachen werden untergehen. Durch unsere Experimente wird unser gesamtes Vaterland zu einer Tötungsmaschine werden." or "Nur die Starken überleben, die Schwachen werden untergehen. Durch unsere Experimente werden wir das gesamte Vaterland zu einer Tötungsmaschine machen."
depends on the point of view.
I must add: I haven't completed the game, yet. Not sure what you want to say.

PrivateEyes
Regular

#10 Post by PrivateEyes »

Kuh-Couch wrote:"Nur die Starken überleben, die Schwachen untergehen. Durch unsere Experimente, werden wir die Gesamtheit des Vaterlandes eine Tötungsmaschine zu machen."
-> "Nur die Starken überleben, die Schwachen werden untergehen. Durch unsere Experimente wird unser gesamtes Vaterland zu einer Tötungsmaschine werden." or "Nur die Starken überleben, die Schwachen werden untergehen. Durch unsere Experimente werden wir das gesamte Vaterland zu einer Tötungsmaschine machen."
depends on the point of view.
I must add: I haven't completed the game, yet. Not sure what you want to say.
Well that was actually a failed attempt to put German in there using Google Translate lol

EDIT: Roughly speaking, I meant "Only the strong survive, the weak will perish. Through our experimentation, we will make the Fatherland a killing machine."
Last edited by PrivateEyes on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aoki Ko
Projects: Girl//∞//Paradox

#11 Post by Aoki Ko »

I really liked! I think the story was really good but I feel like it left alot of loose ends and could have been longer(but that's my opinion). Are you planning on doing more VN's concerning Insigma or more backstory on Shari and Edward? 'Cause I would defintely play them! Anyway overall I enjoyed the game, it's characters and story!

Can u explain to me the part in the woods where
he sees a man burning a file?
Also where did you get your SFX?
Writer.
Currently looking for a team to work on Girl//∞//Paradox a Horror/SciFi/ Mystery. Interested? Check out my thread: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 38&t=13088

PrivateEyes
Regular

#12 Post by PrivateEyes »

I put scenes such as the ones in the wood to generate interest for future games. There is a reason why not everything is explained. I agree this could have been much longer, but this was my first KN and I didn't want to do anything complex.

I will not continue his journey in Insigma, but I might do one of his earlier adventures, before Shari's "mishap". She's too good of a character not to use ;)

Anyway, many thanks for your feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed my first KN so much :D

As for the SFX, it should say in the credits. Places like soundbible.com are a treasure trove of royalty free sound effects.

nightbane123
Completed: -
Projects: -

#13 Post by nightbane123 »

Nice KN you made there!:D Great art you have there too. But, I kinda wonder
why that dude burning document in the forest? in the rain? and also he suddenly sort of disappear from the story? Is that his only role in the story?
:? By the Way,
what actually happened to the Rosy in the end? Did the army found anything there ?
It's not how you live your life but it's how you savor every moment of it...

My Last.fm profile:http://www.last.fm/user/Nightbane112
Feel free to add me as a friend! :D

Kuh-Couch

#14 Post by Kuh-Couch »

Very nice story and nice main cast.
Hope to read more about Edwards adventures.

A bit questionable, though, is the last Nazi-Swastika in the credits. Like a signature.
Ah well.

What does the story have to do with nazis anyway?
Did they create Rosy and her "pet" or what. You could have put more information there.

And yeah: What's that with the man burning papers in the rain.

PrivateEyes
Regular

#15 Post by PrivateEyes »

Kuh-Couch wrote:Very nice story and nice main cast.
Hope to read more about Edwards adventures.

A bit questionable, though, is the last Nazi-Swastika in the credits. Like a signature.
Ah well.

What does the story have to do with nazis anyway?
Did they create Rosy and her "pet" or what. You could have put more information there.

And yeah: What's that with the man burning papers in the rain.
No worries, I do not support the Nazi in any way lol
Rosy was actually one of the witches that was killed during the Witch Hunts. When the town was burned down by the Nazi, she awoke. The "pet" is one of the chimeras the Nazi were making that was later brought to life by Rosy. That accounts for the dead soldiers the Allies found there.

As for the burning of papers, it was answered in a previous post. The files, as you know, belonged to his comrade who reportedly went missing several years back.