Say You Love Me

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

Say You Love Me

#1 Post by Mink »

Hello, forum. Since I've decided it's finished, I figured I may as well put my VN up here.

Say You Love Me is a short (~10 min) visual/kinetic novel about a young man who meets a strange teenage girl standing in the road. By the time the encounter is over, he may wishe he'd have stayed in bed that morning.

~Download here~: Say You Love Me

There's a specific point to this game, but I won't say what it's meant to parody/satirize, because hopefully I wrote it in a way that it'll click what it's about.

This game was made with Novelty, which I'm still learning, so if anything is wonky or may seem better in a different way, feel free to point it out. Also, seeing as it's made with Novelty, it only runs on Windows, so I apologize to any Mac/Linux users who'd want to try this.

Also, while it's complete, it originally started as a project born of boredom and as such, critique is welcome.

Here are a few screen shots:

And while I'm at it, there are credits in the README, I'll repost them in the thread:
-Sprite (s) - Skim/Skimlines
-Music - Kevin MacLeod/Incompetech
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

Re: Say You Love Me

#2 Post by Wright1000 »

I played this game and liked it. But the story was too short and looks uncompleted.
But I have to say I found it very cute.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG

#3 Post by Mink »

Thank you.

Yeah, I'm aware it's absurdly short and sort of just...ends. At the time, I wasn't sure if I'd actually continue or not, but hopefully the continuation will be longer and less abrupt.

*Website, yo*

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Alex »

Well, girls who act like October are always scary me...))
Kind of bug: if you finish the story and choose to start again, then you'll see the girl's name when you met her first time...

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Mink »

Don't worry, the sequel shows more of her actual personality! >8D

And that bug happened? I'm going to have to look at that, because no one else reported something like that, and I don't recall it happening to me. Weird. D:

*Website, yo*

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

A nice little distraction for as long as it lasts. Your game has attractive art and a good choice of music, and the story is sweet if only for ten minutes.

My problem with the game is that it is over as soon as it begins. I don't mind the non-choice in the beginning, it's quite appealing to feel the frustration of your protagonist with the nagging of the girl this way, but there really should be more content.

If you make a sequel, my advice would be not to make a sequel. Take what you have and expand on that, and use the game you have now as a demo, maybe with a mysterious "to be continued" in the end.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Mink »

You know, that's actually something I was considering but wasn't sure about at first. I kind of want to learn and continue it with Ren'Py (for a few things Novelty can't do), but for the sake of consistency would probably want to use sprites that'd match up.

Though it really shouldn't be that much of a thing to just continue it as a whole game, rather than two separate ones. I'm sure it'd also flow better, with one long one rather than a very short game and then a longer sequel. Also, it should only take a few minor changes to make both parts connect as a single story.

And thank you, I really do appreciate the imput people give. I'm a staunch believer that anything worth doing should be worth doing well (or at least as well as possible).

Also, as for the non-choice:
the idea/point around it is that you clearly never really had a choice in the first place, like how many games give you false choices.
So I guess it kind of worked in that regard, which is something I'd been worried about when I first wrote it.

*Website, yo*

Celestine
Veteran

#8 Post by Celestine »

I don't know why, but I was finally able to play this. I guess my computer just doesn't like Novelty engine.

The girl surprised me. And your antics were funny :lol: , practically giving your reader no choice but to pick those options.
It's really too bad you didn't continue on in the story. This kinda feels like what a demo be like before the full game.

I hope you do continue it :wink: I'd like to see how the story progresses and how it ends.
Iratherbeweird,thencalledstrange.
MydadtaughtmeinLifeEverything[/i]has consequences.Good and Bad actions/decision.

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#9 Post by Cidz »

oh, i played this before i guess i never commented odd thought i did! well better late then never.

I like the idea about you expanding the game really I think its a good start and I am curious about more. I think if you expand it and flesh out the story it will be even better. So if you do that be sure and post a download link and ill be sure to play it <3

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Mink »

Celestine: Don't worry, my computer has it's moments where it hates Novelty, too.

And I'm glad the girl surprised you; I like writing things to throw people off. >83 And the choice thing was totally intentional, and basically saying, "Yeah, you don't really have a choice here at all." You know, like how games tend to actually do, which honestly annoys me. I was hoping I wrote in a way that people would see that was the point: oh you can pick another option, but you end up at the same place no matter what you do.

Don't worry, the redone version should be longer and less...abrupt.

Cidz: Yeah, having one long story may take a bit longer to put out, but would hopefully avoid any, "You're going to end it there?!" The 'old' version will probably continue to act as a demo or 'preview' of the longer story.

*Website, yo*

Celestine
Veteran

#11 Post by Celestine »

Mink wrote:And I'm glad the girl surprised you; I like writing things to throw people off.
I'm glad too. It makes the story more thrilling.

How long are you expecting the story to be? I hope you won't change October sprite in the new version. Got used to her facial expressions in this story.
Iratherbeweird,thencalledstrange.
MydadtaughtmeinLifeEverything[/i]has consequences.Good and Bad actions/decision.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Mink »

Sadly (okay not really), it's a totally different sprite. Jadeookami's doing the art and I'm anal and wanted the sprites to be consistent. Hope you like them anyway, though. ^^;

For how long? Eh...at the moment, it's probably about 20~30 minutes, depending on reading speed and if you make a choice that gets you an extra scene. It's not done yet, though. Hoping by the time it is, it'll be about an hour at least.

There's a WIP thread for it here: clicky.

*Website, yo*

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#13 Post by kara24601 »

Although way too short I kinda like it already. I know "fairy" vs. "faerie" is a personal thing - for me I prefer fairy and fairies over "faery" / "faerie" or whatever and other alternate spellings....but that's just me. You yourself said "demo" and I agree, this is more like a very very short demo and if it were me, I wouldn't put it in "completed games" thread. If I were a mod I'd move it to a "demos" thread or something similar. But I'm not a mod. LOL

Again, for what's there...or...rather...despite being so very short and very "super short demo" - like....it's nice. I look forward to the real full game ;-P