Hierofanía

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

Re: Hierofanía

#31 Post by ludeshka »

More than a "Survivor" type Vn, I was thinking more along the lines of the character having to choose between the survival of say, her best friend and her lover, or her two best friends...making it impossible to save everyone
A game of painful choices, if wrote properly. ^^

A Battle Royale style VN could be awesome, and I'd really like to play it, but I don't see myself writing it. O_o

Hm, I'm close to becoming off-topic on my own game's topic.

So, hey, DarkSpartan, have you tried Hierofanía yet? Did you like anything about it?

In the meantime, I give you some art...
Attachments
the stranger
the stranger

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#32 Post by Crocosquirrel »

I have not, but I anticipate fixing that little oversight this afternoon. I'll give you a review when I've worked my way through.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran

#33 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Okay, I've dug through a good chunk of it now. I'm not far enough along to have hit up much in terms of an ending, but I have a few thoughts:

Nice job on the art. Normally I wouldn't go for it, but here is seems to fit.

You set a clear scene, but there are cases where you could maybe have done a bit more with it. That's probably a me thing.

Something about your use of language throws me a tad, but I can't put my finger on exactly what it is. Given the tone and intent of your piece thus far, I'm wondering if it's intentional. It's the sort of stunt I might pull if I were trying to drive the reader ever-so-slightly nuts while trying to get that subtle creep into a piece of work. If you do go back with an editor and clean it up, take care you don't lose that creepy factor.

You've done well with your sense of dread running through in a thread, but I'm less happy with our MC. I was quite a ways in before I realized that Crocker is female. She doesn't present that way, especially for a woman who has likely never seen combat. She feels like an old sergeant, battle-hardened and weary of the stench of death-- A man that's had a sword in his hand for more years than he cares to count. It's possible I'm getting Crocker confused with Croaker the world-weary annalist and Physician of the Black Company (book series by Glenn Cook. Fun read). I was perusing the first book of that series right before sitting down to play.

All in all, a solid write. I'll be interested to see what Crocker's up to next-- in the Game and in further fiction.

Now for the challenge-- Wander through the game I posted, and see what you think. I'll be interested to hear your opinions.

veela

#34 Post by veela »

:3 I've only just played through one ending (#4 - which I rather liked! 8D
YEAH, ROGUE KNIGHT TIME WITH THE STRANGER! I'm up for that!
) but I'm looking forward to the other endings already. I LOVE the art and colors - it's very unique and beautiful. I know the art styles aren't super similar, but I kept having flashbacks to "The Secret of Kells" because the colors are so vivid and the backgrounds are gorgeous. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Crocket's personality (
"HELL YEAH" and wishing for zombies and smashing control panels, hahaha.
) Overall, awesome story, visuals, and music. I'm looking forward to playing the other routes~! Thank you for such a wonderful game & I hope you consider making another in this setting (?). <3

therealrose
Regular

#35 Post by therealrose »

I got all the endings.... None of them really stuck me as a good ending though. I was also hoping that there would be more choices instead of the character always sticking true to her god couldn't a possible ending be to join with Douglas. I could feel the emotion with Douglas so I don't really understand why you didn't make him an ending. Besides that I really liked the art and the story line. It was really fun to play through and it kept me from working on my science fair project which is good but bad for my grades.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran

#36 Post by Crocosquirrel »

I'm still working on it. I was rather entertained by ending four.

ludeshka
Veteran

#37 Post by ludeshka »

Oh my, Dark Spartan. I agree with parts of what you say and disagree with others! What to do!
I don't have much experience with feedback! (I mean, I mostly don't show my stories much XD)
Besides, sometimes, when I read somebody being critiqued, and that person has a counterargument to every single argument , I'm always like "Hey, oversensitive much?"...I don't know if I'm making sense...

See? I'm babbling already.
The thing that I absolutely want to make clear before I answer this is that I really appreciate your comment, and I'm really giving it thought. I want to say "Thank you. " ^^
DarkSpartan wrote:You set a clear scene, but there are cases where you could maybe have done a bit more with it. That's probably a me thing.
I didn't really understand if you are talking about the art or the story here. If it's the art, then I openly admit Hierofanía was the very first time I ever tried to be "serious" about backgrounds. I'm aware they're still lacking, and I plan to get a little bit better with every game. Consider it a promise. :)
If you weren't talking about whatI thought you were talking about then...um...hahaha. sorry.
DarkSpartan wrote:I was quite a ways in before I realized that Crocker is female.
Ah, but I wanted you not to know for sure. XD
Ideally, you shouldn't know she's a girl til she herself says "I'M A GIRL."
I wrote Hierofanía thinking of the old school rpgs I knew and loved. And main characters usually fall on a certain type...which I (loved to) hate.
I tried to write Crocket follwing that template as far as I dared. Of course that means she does things rpg heroes would never do, but I really wrote it with that...sincerity in mind.
As for her inexperience, she does rutinely fight("low levelled") monsters and wild creatures and stuff...the veryfirst thing she's doing ingame is fighting wolves after all. She just doesn't have experience fighting humans who intend to kill her...
I'll keep in mind what you said though...

I'll take up your challenge. Let's see what your game is about. ^^

Again, thanks a lot for posting your thoughts on this. :)
veela wrote::3 I've only just played through one ending (#4 - which I rather liked! 8D
YEAH, ROGUE KNIGHT TIME WITH THE STRANGER! I'm up for that!
) but I'm looking forward to the other endings already. (...) I know the art styles aren't super similar, but I kept having flashbacks to "The Secret of Kells" (..) I hope you consider making another in this setting (?). <3
I am considering it very, very much. Hierofanía 2 is on the works. :D
The secret of Kells is ART!! iI feel super honored for that comparison.:d
I hope you enjoy the other routes too!
I'm surprised for all the support ending 4 and the stranger seem to be getting :D
It makes me very happy to think you guys liked my characters :D
Thank you so much for your support. :)
therealrose wrote:I got all the endings.... None of them really stuck me as a good ending though. .
Ouch! I really hope that when you say "good ending", you mean "happy ending", because otherwise, you're hitting me quite hard XDDDD
I can't really say that happy endings abound on Hierofanía...but, um,..."Carving"? and "Run"? At least they're not so sad? XD
As for Douglas and Crocket...well, they'll meet again later...maybe they'll have better luck next time? :D

Thank you very much for giving it a chance! :)

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran

#38 Post by Crocosquirrel »

ludeshka wrote:Thank you. " ^^
DarkSpartan wrote:You set a clear scene, but there are cases where you could maybe have done a bit more with it. That's probably a me thing.
I didn't really understand if you are talking about the art or the story here. If it's the art, then I openly admit Hierofanía was the very first time I ever tried to be "serious" about backgrounds. I'm aware they're still lacking, and I plan to get a little bit better with every game. Consider it a promise. :)
If you weren't talking about what I thought you were talking about then...um...hahaha. sorry.
You're welcome. I was referring not to something solid, but the backdrop against which it was set. It all fits together in a way that tells me you've been at this awhile, have thought about it a lot, and have done some large-scale research. I don't often see worlds that detailed, even in modern settings.

Outstanding work. Your artwork matches the mood you're going for, as does your writing. You've got something here to be proud of.

aestate
Regular
Projects: Twinkle Twinkle

#39 Post by aestate »

THAT WAS AMAZING. I love your art and there is something about the tone of your writing that is so perfectly unsettling. All the elements of "Hierofania" worked together wonderfully. I am definitely looking forward to "Hierofania 2"!

For some reason, I was thoroughly expecting some fluffy ending where everything worked out fantastically. I got Ending 7 in my first playthrough and I just assumed that was the bad ending hahaha. Also, I know it would have been completely un-Crocket-like and defeat the whole purpose of the story, but I was so hoping that there was an ending where she would go off with Douglas and Deedra. They are so off their rockers and SUPERB.

(As a side-note, the way you write on LSF is so very Crocket, WHICH IS DELIGHTFUL.)
tumblr.Umbrella Cookie.dA.
Current Project: Twinkle Twinkle.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#40 Post by Omnificent »

First off, great game. Both the art and the writing were whimsical in a way that complimented each other perfectly, and I very much enjoyed seeing all the characters interact. It felt like a very cohesive piece of work.

One thing is that I would love to have an option on the menu that shows which endings I've gotten. I think I'm only missing Ending 3 or 4
(a run off with Douglas end?)
but I can't be entirely sure.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

adaira

#41 Post by adaira »

I just read through the whole thing and enjoyed it immensely. It was dark without being depressing or angsty. The art was a perfect match for the story. I get a very Forrest Gump-ish vibe from Crocket - unintelligent but wise. I liked her a lot. In terms of 'happiness' (being the opposite of depressing) I liked ending 6, but ending 7 felt much more complete. On the other hand, ending 4 was the only ending I could see leading to something other than eventual tragedy, and if I were to read a sequel I'd want it to start from there.

ludeshka
Veteran

#42 Post by ludeshka »

aestate wrote: (As a side-note, the way you write on LSF is so very Crocket, WHICH IS DELIGHTFUL.)
I have always had trouble writing characters who are smarter than I am... so...
adaira wrote:. I get a very Forrest Gump-ish vibe from Crocket...
This comment has just become twice as funny for me. XD

...*ahem* Yeah. :D
Omnificent wrote:. I think I'm only missing Ending 3 or 4
(a run off with Douglas end?)
but I can't be entirely sure.
If you're missing those, all you have to do is to forget about Douglas and leave him stuck in his cage. (But no, those two endings don't have much to do with Douglas at all...)
Some people seem to have liked ending 4. (Adaira, for example! ^^) Let's see what you think, Omnificent. (Hey, nice username.)

Ending 7 is what I'd consider the "True" Ending, but seriously, since I work alone, unless I get some programmers aboard, it could be YEARS till Hierofanía 2. So, just, pick your favourite ending and don't worry XD
Wah, like my opinion matters that much. XD

--
On a different topic nobody asked about...
...I really want to upload some little stories that happen "in between" H1 and H2. Do you think you'd like to read them? (They wouldn't be games, though...)

ludeshka
Veteran

#43 Post by ludeshka »

Chibi Crocket, done in epoxy by a talented friend of mine.
Isn't it adorable? :)

Also, I started a very irrelevant poll on my deviantart account http://www.ludeshka.deviantart.com
Click to vote? :D
Attachments
Chibi Crocket!!
Chibi Crocket!!

carosene
Veteran
Completed: That Cheap and Sacred Thing

#44 Post by carosene »

Hi Luedshka! :D I got about 4 endings and though it was time to post something.

I love the quirky art style and appreciate that you redrew the sprites for a lot of the expressions. As always I love the coloring style, fun stuff. X3 I love the winter in the background. The clerics and their outrageous outfits was amazing. XD; Douglass was the best character, totes. The intro is gorgeous, especially the image of Crocket. (Which is an awesome name, especially for a girl.)

I think the game could have used more proofreading--some errors slipped through.
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

#45 Post by MiSi »

Hi there, I played the game yesterday and - o.O Your art-style is so amazing! I would like to see more of it ;)

About the game itself: I like that twisted ending, when the stranger suddenly becomes the enemy. (Characters generally tend to change from foes to allies and the other way round quickly here. Mostly because of Crocket being that super intelligent :lol: )
My favourite character would be Murphy, I think. There is something tragic about him, which I like very much. And he's handsome in a way... ;)

Oh well, but I better stop blabbering... Great game! No question! :)