Spare Change: A Kinetic Sound Novel

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
reductoabsurdum
Completed: Spare Change

Spare Change: A Kinetic Sound Novel

#1 Post by reductoabsurdum »

• [list][list][list][list]Synopsis
                      Fifteen minutes in the life of Fred, a coffee shop employee.
                      And for Fred, the most important fifteen minutes of all time.

Notes
                      • Contains mild language and sexual references.
                      • Since sound is a crucial part of the plot, please turn on your speakers or use headphones.
                      • Text is set to auto-forward by default. Please keep this setting if possible.
[/list][/list][/list][/list]

Download from Mediafire

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
                • Spare Change began as a short story I wrote in the winter of 2010. Last year, I got into visual novels and was inspired to write my own. As the project became more and more elaborate, however, I realized that I lacked the programming experience to execute it. To learn the basics, I adapted Spare Change into a visual novel. It started off as practice for my main project, but in the end, I thought it might be worth sharing with you guys.

I hope you enjoy playing Spare Change as much as I did learning from it!
                  Please let me know if you have suggestions for improvement. Although I probably won't be making further revisions to this game, I can always use them for future reference.
Last edited by reductoabsurdum on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

Re: Spare Change: A Kinetic Sound Novel

#2 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Picked up and will comment :) Nice job finishing your project!
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Riku
Regular

#3 Post by Riku »

This is an original idea! It was very interesting to see the life by the perspective of a couch. The art is well done and the fact that we see what the couch might see if it had eyes helps to feel the immersion, but the major part of the ambiance is the sound and music. The only negative point is the text scrolling, I think this isn't a good idea. Maybe that it is to make the reader feel like the action is in real time? You've should permit to remove it in the option, it was a bit hard for me to read (I am easily distract). I know that we can adjust the text speed, but I like when I need to clic. XD

So, good job!

GlassHeart
Regular
Completed: Hand in hand with destiny, Out of Sight, Summer Found Me (Again), Signed X, Trapped
itch: https://selavi.itch.

#4 Post by GlassHeart »

I'm mostly a lurker on this forum and not a reviewer but I felt this game deserved a comment, so here goes.

I didn't read the whole presentation and comments before I started playing the game and for some reason my brain was on auto-pilot and couldn't make the connection between the main menu picture and the synopsis. So I had no idea this was a story about a chair (should I put spoiler tags on that? :lol: ). I think it was better that way. At first I was like ... what? Then I went: oooh, he's a chair!

I didn't mind the auto-forward text. I usually prefer clicking but I was drying my hair while I played so I watched it like a movie (don't worry, I had headphones on so I heard everything).
The only thing I didn't get... what were they doing on that chair?! And in a cafe? Haha.
All in all it was an interesting story. The art was nice and clean, the sounds fitting and the font was pleasant to read. This stood out to me because for some reason I noticed lately people have been using all kinds of crazy fonts in unreadable colors.

I felt sorry for the chair by the end and felt that this could have well been some guy's story. I hope you'll keep making cool games like this!
Image Image

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#5 Post by Reikun »

Totally watched/read this a few days ago xD It was interesting and I think the auto-forwarding text was paced really well. I loved the use of sound! I'm usually wary of sound novels because I'm afraid people will use really corny free sound effects that are used way too often but I'm glad I gave this one a chance because I think most of the sounds were very appropriate and fitting. I think the best part overall was indeed the narrative. I really felt like it was a chair speaking rather than someone trying to write from the perspective of a chair :) Good job! And kudos with the ending~ I thought it was very satisfying.
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

DANKOMEN
Completed: Train

#6 Post by DANKOMEN »

Brilliant idea; not bad writing. I don't think the auto-forward was a good idea. It was paced okay, but slower than I would normally read it, and I didn't see that it really needed to paced so specifically. Likewise, I think "a kinetic sound novel" is a little pedantic. It's better to avoid looking self-important, like a lot of amateur artists do; just focus on making good content and don't worry too much about philistines not appreciating your full intentions.

The screenshots did not look especially attractive. I got the sense you weren't going for all cute and pretty, but it would have been better if the ad gave me more of a sense of what you were doing. You need to hook people right off the bat or they won't give you the time you need to impress them. (I'm not saying the art has to be cute and pretty, just that maybe you should go ahead and lay it out there what this is about, for example.)

Once I actually did play it, the art seemed to fit just fine and looked competent.

Except the title screen needs more oomph.

The credits were slick.

You clearly are a competent and clever writer and artist. Basically I think the main thing you need to work on is reaching out humbly to your audience.

JustALittleSin
Regular
Projects: Unit & Jetser Forever
Organization: Visualnovels.nl

#7 Post by JustALittleSin »

GlassHeart wrote: I didn't read the whole presentation and comments before I started playing the game and for some reason my brain was on auto-pilot and couldn't make the connection between the main menu picture and the synopsis. So I had no idea this was a story about a chair (should I put spoiler tags on that? :lol: ). I think it was better that way. At first I was like ... what? Then I went: oooh, he's a chair!
Haha, I had the exact same thing. Anyway, I loved it. The length was perfect (I like VN's that are short and to the point) and graphically it was well done. I always play on auto-forward so that wasn't a problem for me at all.
I guess I'll treat my furniture a little better from now on... And, am I the only one who gets REALLY annoyed by couples acting IRL the way they did in the game?
I'm looking forward to your main project now :)

AlexisQuinn
Completed: Shadows In The Darkness
Projects: FearLove, Internet: A Murder Mystery
Organization: Veria

#8 Post by AlexisQuinn »

I liked it ^^
It was short and simple. I actually felt bad for the sofa and the narrative was really good ^-^
Keep up the good work!
Completed Projects
Shadows In The Darkness(mini poetic KN)

Pyun~
Regular

#9 Post by Pyun~ »

Can you update the link? >.<

Sheridan
Regular
Completed: Tea & Sympathy, 51 cards

#10 Post by Sheridan »

Is there a working link for this game? Thanks.