[dischan] Juniper's Knot (2012)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
catonkikisbow

Re: [dischan] Juniper's Knot (2012)

#16 Post by catonkikisbow »

God this was so beautiful. There were points I really felt like crying.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#17 Post by Applegate »

Sat down with this, and I definitely think it is a noteworthy release. The art was stunning, and the writing was interesting enough to keep one reading. I enjoyed the atmosphere between the two characters.

Despite that, I felt that the art for the boy was a bit scrawny, despite the girl saying that he was rather muscled. His arms were rather thin, too - I recognise this may be due to the style of art, but it is, I feel, noteworthy enough to mention.

The writing struck me as generally solid and enjoyable, although I was not so much a fan of the segments where we were told about certain actions being done even though the actions themselves had neither relevance nor importance. The intro was, I'm afraid, a little dull for me, though I kept reading because it was at least enticing enough to lead me to want to know more. That's a lot of to's.

All in all, I enjoyed reading this work, so thanks for releasing it, and I look forward to more.

Ziassan
Veteran

#18 Post by Ziassan »

Really interesting. I have sometimes have difficulties to understand all of it since English isn't my first langage (about the use of old English), but the overall ambience is really neat, good work.

I was wondering... for the ATL and variations of ambience (sounds, sfx, music), are you really coding directly as your write the script ? Because I feel like you're using some kind of external tool or generator (or something I don't totally understand) to ease this perfect tuning of moves and ambience changes.

Great work anyway, you'll have plenty of people looking for Cradle Song after such a release.

clua
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Stormy Night /The Knife of the Traitor/Charlatans
Projects: The Hurtful Wall /_Salomon/Infurubia
Tumblr: notttt-che
itch: chegovia

#19 Post by clua »

You guys are such pros the visual felt really nice for me, the ambience was great and the transitions were very smooth.

As Ziassan said, I also couldn't understand quickly some parts because of the way the characters speak, but well, thats just a personal complain that should be ignored haha-

and a funny fact to add, I was working on my project before playing JN and after playing, I felt very bad...Like "what the hell I am doing?"
It make me think that I should work harder on what Im doing.(That was nice...)

Thank you for the wonderful game.
♦WIP♦
Infurubia
The hurtful wall
_Salomon

♦COMPLETE♦
+The Knife of the Traitor(Nanoreno 2012)
+Charlatans(Nanoreno 2015)

Dev tumblr
EVN Store

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#20 Post by Anna »

I think most of the critique has already been said, such as the way of speaking and choice of words being a little difficult now and then. I don't know if people mentioned the centered text already as well, but that bothered me more than the way they spoke XD. It caused some lines to break up just before the last word, making them look really strange. Also my eyes had no natural returning point because it was centered; I know where the lines will begin when they're left aligned, but it varies when they're centered.

So now that that's out of the way, let me just say I loved this KN <3! The story was cute, the fiend was adorable and the music complemented it so well. Especially the tracks 'bleeding' and 'open my heart' were great! Love the use of panning and the three-divided screen parts too.

Good work!

Dani
Completed: Juniper's Knot
Projects: Cradle Song
Organization: Dischan

#21 Post by Dani »

Thank you everyone! I'm glad the feeling is mostly positive.

We'll try to top it for our next release. :)

Swifdemon

#22 Post by Swifdemon »

DaFool wrote:edit: I have a question about 'Bleeding', my favorite track from the OST. It seems like people humming... could you or your musician elaborate on how that was composed? It's just so haunting.
He hummed. It was all him humming.

I asked him to get a little more specific and he said he boosted the high end of the mid tones, for the high vocal he pitched it up 12 semitones (an octave), and used an auto tuner on the high one (pitcher) to bend the formant a bit back down for it to "just sound a little human" and also to get its pitch to differ from the deeper part.

That's near verbatim right there :>

EDIT:
Ziassan wrote:I was wondering... for the ATL and variations of ambience (sounds, sfx, music), are you really coding directly as your write the script ? Because I feel like you're using some kind of external tool or generator (or something I don't totally understand) to ease this perfect tuning of moves and ambience changes.
Yes, we're really coding directly as we write the script. Well, after the script is written but you know. We obviously edited audio and images and such in outside programs (Adobe Audition, Adobe Photoshop, FL Studio) so that they would be mixed alright, but in the novel itself everything was done with the tools provided.

Ziassan
Veteran

#23 Post by Ziassan »

Ah, it wasn't intended to sound suspicious or anything, just curious. Thanks anyway.
Even if it can look alike a details, I especially liked the way the change of speaker was noticed over the dialogue-box.

Specter Von Baren

#24 Post by Specter Von Baren »

Such a beautiful story. This is the kind of thing you sit down to after a tiring and involving day of work. A relaxing and atmospherically quiet story that's all about the interaction between two people.

And while I feel the story ended perfectly, I still have this longing to see more from these two, just seeing them talk with each other about things. I think that's the real sign that this is a good story, that I'm content to just see two characters talk with each other, that that's all I need to be interested.

JustALittleSin
Regular
Projects: Unit & Jetser Forever
Organization: Visualnovels.nl

#25 Post by JustALittleSin »

I was really impressed with the art (and GUI). Top notch, worthy of a commercial release.

The story, though simple, was really well told too. Although (as mentioned in previous posts) some of the medieval English was difficult to understand, the pacing was perfect and the ending really moved me. If I had to recommend VN's to people who aren't familiar with them, this would be one of them.

applegirl
Veteran

#26 Post by applegirl »

Quite good work, very intriguing and original story that pulled me in from the start. I was surprised by the twists and turns of this storyline and enjoyed the experience tremendously. I'm very impressed that you guys did this and a work of this caliber makes me even more excited for Cradle Song. Very solid experience, I can't wait to see what you guys have planned next :)

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

#27 Post by tuna_sushi »

The art, the GUI, the story, the music...
They made me shed tears...

Vilhelmina
Regular
Organization: Cassis Connection Studios

#28 Post by Vilhelmina »

I finished this, it's quite lovely! I especially liked how it made me feel like I was watching a movie - the art, intreface and music all worked so well together.

A very nice inspiration for my own future games as well, thank you very much! :D

Swifdemon

#29 Post by Swifdemon »

Another round of thanks to everyone, again. I'm really happy to hear that you're all digging it so much :)

ixWishing
Veteran

#30 Post by ixWishing »

Gahh! I loved the story & art!

Ahh, such a heartwarming tale .
I'll be looking forward to more projects from you! (: .
- Everlasting Dreams ;