[Trivia/Quiz][Education]Pharmacy Quiz 1.0

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

[Trivia/Quiz][Education]Pharmacy Quiz 1.0

#1 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Uhm...first of all, I'm not sure if this kind of game I made belong to the group "Visual Novel" although I made it with Ren'py Engine :? *it seems like a quiz for me
But if you're interested, go ahead and play it :D
This is my first time....so,uh...really really short and quick game :D

MINOR UPDATES : Version 1.0 revised
Download link :
http://www.mediafire.com/?945z45ebnu1zb32

Compatible for Windows only

"Can you get the perfect score ?"
The question is all about Pharmacy :D *bricked
Attachments
If you can't answer within the time given, the option will disappear automatically, so get fast !
If you can't answer within the time given, the option will disappear automatically, so get fast !
Last edited by tiya_nofurita on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

SnowBunnyyxz
Completed: None.v.
Projects: None.v.

Re: Pharmacy Quiz 1.0

#2 Post by SnowBunnyyxz »

Awesome game! :D

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon

#3 Post by tiya_nofurita »

SnowBunnyyxz wrote:Awesome game! :D
Thanks. Have you played it ?
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

#4 Post by Ionait »

I'm downloading this now to play after I get my work done for today! My mom works as a pharmacy tech so maybe I'll learn more about her job?

From what you said and the screenshot, this looks like a teaching tool or educational game. Is that right? If so, WOOHOO! I love educational games and I haven't seen a lot on the forums. I'm actually going to make an educational game about animals one of these days using my sister-in-law's essays and notes and homework assignments from college. One of these days...

I'll post again once I have played!

Also: I noticed from your screen shot, there might be some grammar mistakes in the game. Do you need an editor or proof reader? If you don't mind, I'd love to help with that if you think you need it!

EDIT:

Finished playing. I got a four because I know nothing about chemicals and all. @_@ My only complaint about the game really is that ten seconds is not enough time. The timer would run out before I was finished reading the question and then reading all of the answers. The questions and their answers are very long and when you are testing, you have to read slowly. It kind of made the game unplayable for me.

The sounds in the game are a great fit though and your guide is nicely done!

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Ionait wrote:I'm downloading this now to play after I get my work done for today! My mom works as a pharmacy tech so maybe I'll learn more about her job?
Thank you for downloading ! :D
Sorry for the late reply, been isolated for a few days
Ionait wrote:From what you said and the screenshot, this looks like a teaching tool or educational game. Is that right? If so, WOOHOO! I love educational games and I haven't seen a lot on the forums. I'm actually going to make an educational game about animals one of these days using my sister-in-law's essays and notes and homework assignments from college. One of these days...
Yes maybe something like that, I'm not so sure though...just killing my boredom *bricked
But I see your point, and I'm looking forward to see yours too :D ! Tell me more about it ! :D
Ionait wrote:Also: I noticed from your screen shot, there might be some grammar mistakes in the game. Do you need an editor or proof reader? If you don't mind, I'd love to help with that if you think you need it!
YES I DEFINITELY NEED PROOFREADER :D *me and my bad English is...sucks
Thank you for the offering, I'll think about it. But maybe for the first I'm going to ask my friend on the real world, since I'm not really active on the internet

Ionait wrote:Finished playing. I got a four because I know nothing about chemicals and all. @_@ My only complaint about the game really is that ten seconds is not enough time. The timer would run out before I was finished reading the question and then reading all of the answers. The questions and their answers are very long and when you are testing, you have to read slowly. It kind of made the game unplayable for me.
1.Thank you for playing
2.I believe it's hard for someone outside Pharmacy field, why don't you try ask your mother ? :D
3.I'll keep that on my mind...10 seconds is too fast for the player. Even my friends from Pharmacy said so :lol:
4.Sorry again for that
Ionait wrote:The sounds in the game are a great fit though and your guide is nicely done!
Thanks again for your comments, I really appreciate it :D
Webtoon

---
Completed project:

MY VISUAL NOVEL

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by tiya_nofurita »

So there isn't anybody related to Pharmacy field huh XD i'm the rare species here ! *Dance
Webtoon

---
Completed project:

MY VISUAL NOVEL

Ishikatsu
Regular
Projects: Nemuri

#7 Post by Ishikatsu »

You shouldn't be so sure of yourself, tiya :D
Technically speaking, my field of study is chemical technology, but in my school I have to take classes of pharmaceutical substances along with that :D
I have to say I found this game kinda hard. Partially it's because time limit for answering questions is pretty short in my opinion, partially because English is not my first language and some of those terms were difficult to understand for me. Or maybe I just suck at pharmacy :D
Fear cuts deeper than swords.

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Ishikatsu wrote:You shouldn't be so sure of yourself, tiya :D
Technically speaking, my field of study is chemical technology, but in my school I have to take classes of pharmaceutical substances along with that :D
I have to say I found this game kinda hard. Partially it's because time limit for answering questions is pretty short in my opinion, partially because English is not my first language and some of those terms were difficult to understand for me. Or maybe I just suck at pharmacy :D
Wow, I surprised to meet you Ishikatsu-san ! XD
Thank you for your comments. Um yeah...this game is kinda hard...even my friends from Pharmacy said so :lol:
So this is not your fault :lol: Anyway, thanks for playing
Webtoon

---
Completed project:

MY VISUAL NOVEL

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: [Trivia/Quiz][Education]Pharmacy Quiz 1.0

#9 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Whoaaa...50 downloads for Pharmacy Quiz ! :)
Although this number can be considered as nothing big at all, I'm surprised I've made it this far (at least for not-so-general genre like this)

Thank you !
Webtoon

---
Completed project:

MY VISUAL NOVEL

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#10 Post by arachni42 »

Well, I got 25, which means I must have gotten 7 right, 3 wrong (I answered all even it it was blind guess). I am a pharmacist but a little surprised I got that many because (as mentioned) even reading quickly there was not always time to read all of the question and answers. Many of them I quickly guessed based on "keywords" I spotted in the Q/A. It would help a lot if the entire question were printed first (like the chemical structure was), and then the timer and answers were given. It would also be interesting to see which ones I got right/wrong. But I can go through it again.

Also, I'm confused about the second question.
In America, "crack" refers to cocaine and "ice" refers to crystal meth, but neither of those were among the options. You mentioned not being a native English speaker, so maybe it's different in your country. Since slang can vary like that, a different question would be better. Also, "heroin" is not spelled with an e at the end.
Going through it again a few times...
The questions I initially got wrong were the insulin receptor (I know, it's in the screenshot, but I didn't read it or look it up because I wanted to take the quiz -- I think I knew the right answer at some point during school but had long forgotten =), the street drug one (ambiguous), and the Arrhenius Equation (it's been way too long). I did not have time to read the whole pKa question; I saw the numbers were the same and choose the first answer I saw with "50%" in it. Reactivity I knew, but it felt like a guess because of the time limit. Coffee I knew as soon as I saw the word "coffee." The acid-base indicator was a lucky guess on my part -- I didn't remember the name of it. I didn't have time to read the chemical structure hint, nor did I read all the answers, but I saw the word NSAID and answered based on that and the propyl group. (It's not a structure I remembered off the top of my head.) Gram negative bacteria, I didn't even read the answers; I spotted the right one right away and choose it. The last one I did have time to read and think about; it was an educated guess that I was pretty confident about.
Having the timer there was useful -- a good UI choice. The 80s style music in the beginning is kind of funny.
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by tiya_nofurita »

arachni42 wrote:Well, I got 25, which means I must have gotten 7 right, 3 wrong (I answered all even it it was blind guess). I am a pharmacist but a little surprised I got that many because (as mentioned) even reading quickly there was not always time to read all of the question and answers. Many of them I quickly guessed based on "keywords" I spotted in the Q/A. It would help a lot if the entire question were printed first (like the chemical structure was), and then the timer and answers were given. It would also be interesting to see which ones I got right/wrong. But I can go through it again.

Also, I'm confused about the second question.
In America, "crack" refers to cocaine and "ice" refers to crystal meth, but neither of those were among the options. You mentioned not being a native English speaker, so maybe it's different in your country. Since slang can vary like that, a different question would be better. Also, "heroin" is not spelled with an e at the end.
Going through it again a few times...
The questions I initially got wrong were the insulin receptor (I know, it's in the screenshot, but I didn't read it or look it up because I wanted to take the quiz -- I think I knew the right answer at some point during school but had long forgotten =), the street drug one (ambiguous), and the Arrhenius Equation (it's been way too long). I did not have time to read the whole pKa question; I saw the numbers were the same and choose the first answer I saw with "50%" in it. Reactivity I knew, but it felt like a guess because of the time limit. Coffee I knew as soon as I saw the word "coffee." The acid-base indicator was a lucky guess on my part -- I didn't remember the name of it. I didn't have time to read the chemical structure hint, nor did I read all the answers, but I saw the word NSAID and answered based on that and the propyl group. (It's not a structure I remembered off the top of my head.) Gram negative bacteria, I didn't even read the answers; I spotted the right one right away and choose it. The last one I did have time to read and think about; it was an educated guess that I was pretty confident about.
Having the timer there was useful -- a good UI choice. The 80s style music in the beginning is kind of funny.
Uwaaaaaahh, thank you for playing >.< Now I feel embarassed after I left this game for ages (I feel so silly about the concept, yet I want to create similar gameplay on the future). Maybe, maybe on the next semester...college is killing me orz
And it's a pleasure to meet pharmacist fellow on this forum ! I'm so flattered because you must be a professional practicioner (and software developer ?! That's so COOL ! I want to be like you on the future too lol) and I'm just too-naive-and-hopeless-2nd year pharmacist student-when I made this game.

Your wild guess(es) are...interesting :D. And it's very smart of you to get 75 on your first playthrough (most of my friends got under 50 on their first playthrough haha)
I agree with the time limit, it's feels so short with just 10 seconds (I've received many complaints from my friends too :lol:) so I'll take that into consideration for my future works :D

Now, about the question(s)...
Yes, I'm not a native speaker of English and until this point you might suspect grammatical errors or weird vocab on my sentences orz .
Based on my knowledge (and I thought my teacher said the same thing), ice/crack = MDMA = ecstasy.
Maybe it's different on my country after all. Next time I should crosscheck about the ambigous slang like this, or I'll just refrain from asking it to avoid confusion.
I'm very impressed you still remember the facts from old school days. All this knowledge are kinda...useless on real job I guess ? From my point of view, pharmacist is always deals with drugs, prescriptions, compounding, dispensing, pharmaceutical care and that related-stuff. More importantly, from what I've heard pharmacist on America is very clinical/hospital-oriented, so I guess it's just natural for you if you've forgotten most of the unrelated-drugs knowledges. Again, very good job on catching the keywords !
Thank you for the useful feedbacks so far :D
I also made another pharmacy related-VN. Check my Tour de Pharmacy
Webtoon

---
Completed project:

MY VISUAL NOVEL

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#12 Post by arachni42 »

tiya_nofurita wrote: Uwaaaaaahh, thank you for playing >.< Now I feel embarassed after I left this game for ages (I feel so silly about the concept, yet I want to create similar gameplay on the future).
LOL, well, I thought it was cool to see a unique concept, even though the audience is limited. ;) It's a niche within a niche. Although, I think doing stuff like this helps you learn and can introduce your peers to VNs to boot. :D I was very curious about what questions would be asked.
The drug slang thing: that's what feedback is for! I wouldn't have been thinking about international implications, either. Probably best to avoid slang.
I am a licensed pharmacist, but only recently -- I graduated last May, so it hasn't been very long since school. In the U.S. most pharmacists practice either as a retail pharmacist (where you'll be answering insurance questions more than pharmacology ones, although you'll be pretty familiar with the top 200 prescribed drugs) or a staff hospital pharmacist (verifying orders, making IVs). Heavy duty clinical jobs are more rare. You don't really know ahead of time which knowledge from school will be useless and which won't, so you kind of have to learn it all.

Anyway, back to the topic of your games...
I plan to check out Tour de Pharmacy, but I'm having trouble downloading it. Mediafire doesn't work, and on 4shared there are about 20 download buttons and I can't find the one that actually has your file and doesn't want to install stuff on my computer or make me sign up. It probably isn't happy that I limit Javascript on my browser, either. I'll try to get it figured out, but let me know if you're sharing it on any other sites.
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by tiya_nofurita »

arachni42 wrote: LOL, well, I thought it was cool to see a unique concept, even though the audience is limited. ;) It's a niche within a niche. Although, I think doing stuff like this helps you learn and can introduce your peers to VNs to boot. :D I was very curious about what questions would be asked.
VN is about marketing after all. It's just like you said, niche market has very limited audience but my goal is to introduce VN as one alternative of Pharmacy fun learning! :mrgreen:
arachni42 wrote:I am a licensed pharmacist, but only recently -- I graduated last May, so it hasn't been very long since school. In the U.S. most pharmacists practice either as a retail pharmacist (where you'll be answering insurance questions more than pharmacology ones, although you'll be pretty familiar with the top 200 prescribed drugs) or a staff hospital pharmacist (verifying orders, making IVs). Heavy duty clinical jobs are more rare. You don't really know ahead of time which knowledge from school will be useless and which won't, so you kind of have to learn it all.
I'm surprised that you have just graduated on May 2012. I thought than you have graduated more than 5 years ago (considering your age...but I can't make generalization here, eh ?). In my country, normally it takes 5 years to complete Pharmacy program, so let's assume if you enter the university at age 18, you will be graduate on 23-24. I'm not sure if it's equivalent with PharmD, though. I heard that the curriculum is very much different. But still, you memory is pretty intact and I'm very impressed. So what does your job exactly, by the way ?
arachni42 wrote:Anyway, back to the topic of your games...
I plan to check out Tour de Pharmacy, but I'm having trouble downloading it. Mediafire doesn't work, and on 4shared there are about 20 download buttons and I can't find the one that actually has your file and doesn't want to install stuff on my computer or make me sign up. It probably isn't happy that I limit Javascript on my browser, either. I'll try to get it figured out, but let me know if you're sharing it on any other sites.
Ugh, MediaFire is sure annoying, and yes, on 4shared you have to register yourself, I'm sorry. I'm planning to upload on another site, but my internet connection is so damn slow. Besides, my proofreader had just finished his re-proofreader job. If there's no big problem after I re-check it, I'll upload the version with less typos soon ! Stay tuned ! :mrgreen:
Webtoon

---
Completed project:

MY VISUAL NOVEL

brystfire
Projects: Let's Learn Geometry

#14 Post by brystfire »

I am creating a game like this currently but it's all about Geometry.. there is included the tutorial and quizzes. I got the idea from ur game btw :)

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by tiya_nofurita »

brystfire wrote:I am creating a game like this currently but it's all about Geometry.. there is included the tutorial and quizzes. I got the idea from ur game btw :)
Glad to heard that my simple game is inspiring the others :D I'm pretty stupid on Math but let me try your game~ :mrgreen:
Webtoon

---
Completed project:

MY VISUAL NOVEL