Magical Boutique

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#61 Post by monele »

Either there is something I'm totally missing, or you're not using the D version. In any case, nevermind, since here's the last patch ^^.

MagBou 1.0f :

- Fixed quest events rollback & save problem. If someone can test and tell me that it *does* work (I tested it but eh...) (for example, the mother & children event is a quest)
- Added version number on the Ren'Py logo screen (upper left corner). If you're in-game, use Shift+V to know the current game version you're using.
- Fixed a bug for Pom's intro conditional (Framb could *not* be there and it still plays)
- Fixed a few typos
- Added some explanation about "Cueilleurs" during the intro.
- Fixed the "Morale +4" message into "Morale +3" as it really is.

Hmm... should be all ô_o

=== EDIT ===

Patch 1.0f is on hold... (oh I'm sick of this...) because a biiiig bug was in there too. Niagh...
Actually, kudos to those who managed to finish MagBou in any way... I can't believe you went through all the traps I set in @_@........
Last edited by monele on Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#62 Post by PyTom »

You can fake a for-loop using a while statement.

Code: Select all

$ i = 0
      while i < len(magasin.quests):
           call expression magasin.quests[i].startlabel from _call_active_quests
           $ i += 1
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#63 Post by monele »

*nods*, I happened to find about it while exploring the doc... Crazy how many things I haven't even seen XD... Thanks :)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#64 Post by DaFool »

Taleweaver >> happened to me too when I had 3 people brewing potions in the Ending quest, I think it's some overload condition. It shouldn't happen too often, so for now, I ignore it.

Monele >> Thanks, that was fast.

So...I have 1.0b patched with c, d, and now patch with f. Will you make a fresh build for everybody now, or should I test this first? (Give me at least a day to a day and a half since its workweek)

PyTom and monele >> A crazy idea, but a strategic means to bring more converts to the OELVN religion. Friday, during the release of Kanon 2006 episode 24 on the you-know-what-it-is general torrent repository, I can strategically insert torrents of MagiBou (all three distros) in the vicinity of Eclipse's release. First will point to a screenshot of the game, second will point to Ren'Py games, and the third will point to renpy.org. Since this is a small game, I hope to have more downloads than the Subarashi Demo Loader (which I believe did more harm to Ren'Py's reputation). I mean, I don't want to be overbearing, but I still owe my baptism to the Blade Engine's announcement on Slashdot, which someone not even into VNs just mentioned in animesuki. Thus, touching the mainstream once in a while doesn't hurt. There are very few OELVN games that have the potential to 'convert', I think this is one of them and I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity.

In case something happens and I'm not online at that time, it may be a good thing for someone to do what I mentioned above.

Sed
Regular

#65 Post by Sed »

I was surfing around and came across another potion making game.

Looks like Fram and Pom got some competition. :lol:

Fairy Godmother Tycoon

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#66 Post by monele »

I think it's some overload condition.
Uhh... the crash thingie? It's a bug from 1.0c that was immediately patched in 1.0d. It happens when a character gathers at a place where he *can't* get any known ingredients (Framboise gathering at the Crevice of Angst is one of these).
So...I have 1.0b patched with c, d, and now patch with f. Will you make a fresh build for everybody now, or should I test this first? (Give me at least a day to a day and a half since its workweek)
Patch F takes precedence over all the previous patches.
The current way to run the game is to get 1.0c (full) and apply patch F.
I nothing new creeps up for a day or two, I'll consider all this good, make a new full 1.1 release and be happeh :)
I can strategically insert torrents of MagiBou (all three distros) in the vicinity of Eclipse's release.
I suppose this could be done. I just don't know how much effect it could have, but eh... why not :). Oh btw, pm me your e-mail address so I can add it to the License. Since there's no official website, people could at least contact us this way.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#67 Post by DaFool »

Fresh C patched with F:

I don't know if it's just me...but I think I should mention this before testing further, since the Woman with Children event is the first quest
1.) You have enough potions from the beginning...the first time you encounter her and the time you give her the potions are back-to-back events...I forgot already if that was what was supposed to happen.

2.) You don't have enough potions but you brew some for the next day...the first time you encounter her and the time you give her the potions are separated by one Activity Day. However when the first cutscene fades (first encounter), it fades out thrice! Is it just me?
I don't know, the saving and loading for the quest works fine, but the whole behavior of it feels fishy...as if it's trying to kick itself out of a recursive call and succeeds eventually. I'll see if something else weird happens with the others.

Any other players experience this after Patch F?

Also just realized it would be nice to have a presplash screen so people unfamiliar with Ren'Py behavior know that the game has launched.

LOL this is starting to look like a Work In Progress thread. Unlike a conventional VN where you just skip through and test to see if all branches work.

Sed
Regular

#68 Post by Sed »

Just finished playing the game and it was great! I ended up staying up too late to finish the game.

I think this game is perfect example of how you can have a great VN and not have a lot of graphics. I think with some tweaks, you can have a great game on your hands.

Ok, time to turn on the spoiler tags...
On the first round, I made the mistake of buy a chariot too early and had trouble paying wages. Morale crashed and Pom couldn't make any potions while Fram didn't gather much stuff. I managed to work my way out somewhat, but the rising demand of potions made it difficult to keep up. Pom and Fram were in a slump. I had to either work them on the weekend and kill their morale to keep up with demand, or conversely, rest them but fail to keep up with demand and lose money.

The second time around, I played smarter and managed to keep up with demand 90% of the time. Pom and Fram were in good spirits and I had a surplus of money. When the Captain came around, I was barely able to make it in the end. I had to work both my helpers into the ground and nearly ran out of money.

If I ran out of money a few days earlier, then morale would have crashed and people would become unproductive, thus no potions and people die. You mentioned that game isn't focused on money and there isn't a "gameplay way to lose". I think you need to somehow balance out the gameplay with the story. For example, if you mismanaged the store, but yet manage to break even or little above, and get to the end with the Captain, you don't have the infrastructure (money, morale, raw materials) to get the job done. Everyone crashes and burns because of lack of money and morale.

Speaking of which, can you even win the game if you completely mismanage the store? I'll have to go back and try.

A good idea of the above is something like this:
  • Recruit Fram
    Normal play with random quests
    Recruit Pom
    More normal play with random quests
    If (reputation less than 10) or (gold less than 100)
    --> You: Sorry kids, business doesn't seem to be doing very well. I'm closing the shop.
    --> Game Over.
    Normal play
    Captain arrives
Some minor comments:

Pom brought back ingredients I never used. Did I miss something, or was this a red herring?

When people have the day off, they made random comments. Something similar with working on the weekend would be cool.
- Fram: Ehh! I have to work? I wanted to go shopping!
- Pom: Working on the weekend? What do I care?
Otherwise, great game. I'm sharing this with all my friends once a stable version comes out.

Oh releasing the code would be fantastic too. I have ambitions on making a similar game and it would be nice not to reinvent the wheel. The code would allow people to see the inner working of a game, tinker with it, and learn from it. Even providing the assets would allow people to see what they made. It could provide the basis for many more games in the future. Maybe the community can make, "Magical Boutique Xtreme Edition". Just kidding. :lol:

Anvil Factory

#69 Post by Anvil Factory »

I'm pretty much a lurker here, but I couldn't ignore Magical Boutique and just had to express my enjoyment. :D It was very fun and caused me to procrastinate on my homework on Sunday. :oops: Ah, me and my lack of self-control... I liked both the simulation system and the storyline! And yes, having a non-leveling up Framboise was a killer. :lol: I was wondering if I was too hasty in producing potions in the beginning until you released a patch. XD

There is only one thing I need to know...
Is there actually a purpose for feathers, fishbones, and the like? Or is it just "poking fun" at Pom? Haha.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#70 Post by DaFool »

Yay positive comments :D

Sed >>
Playing as an incompetent manager makes the game longer, since it takes a while for the conditions to be reached to trigger the next event. Monele sort of hinted that the game was designed to still be recoverable. But this was with the earlier stages of the game until release alpha, perhaps this time the strategy could change. We'll see. Thanks for the suggestions.
And yes, the code will be open-sourced after some time. But I think the resources will remain closed, we're pretty protective of them.

Sed and Anvil Factory >>
Initially Amber and Orpiment were useless ingredients too. It was just a good idea to finally use them for the final quest. The others...well yeah they remain useless ingredients, to hint at the player that Pom really isn't good at gathering.
About patch F, I'd hold off a bit. I wasn't informed of any major changes, and still need to test if the behavior where

fade out
get out of recursive call
fade out
fade out

happens in other quests. Maybe just need to move the fade outs someplace else.

Ever since the release of 1.0b, I'm in the same boat as every other player and could only guess what's going on.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#71 Post by monele »

Fairy Godmother Tycoon
Fun! XD... I tried the demo and I'll probably steal a few ideas :). But it's interesting to see a game focusing on the very MONEY aspect of it, while, I hope it's obvious, I want MagBou to focus on people.
I forgot already if that was what was supposed to happen.
Yes, yes. Start a fresh game and you'll see that it might not happen the same way. That's because people don't buy the same stuff everyday :). Sometimes you'll have enough, sometimes not. Most often not.
when the first cutscene fades (first encounter), it fades out thrice!
Strange ô_o... I didn't spot such a thing during my test. I'll check it out tonight. Since I changed the code that launches quest events, it might indeed be the cause.
Also just realized it would be nice to have a presplash screen
Good point. Thought about it, forgot about it :)
this is starting to look like a Work In Progress thread
Bah, it's just an after release thread ;). Of course, MagBou is more prone to bugs.... cuz I'm the developer :P (and it's freaking complex XD)
Sed wrote:I ended up staying up too late to finish the game.
Anvil Factory wrote:It was very fun and caused me to procrastinate on my homework on Sunday.
DaFool and Monele, destroying the world's youth since 2007 :D
I made the mistake of buy a ****** too early
As with other games, it's better to have 1.5x the price money before buying :)... especially when you pay for stuff everyday ^^;
but the rising demand of potions made it difficult to keep up.
HINT :
I might be wrong but that's where you should *stop* pleasing the customers. Reputation (in this game) can be built up again. So just put your people to rest, let clients yell a bit... and once everyone's ready again, start climbing the hill.
When ********** came around, I was barely able to make it in the end. I had to work both my helpers into the ground and nearly ran out of money.
The last quest totally depends on how well you played the rest of the game. I only did that because it's a short game and I can make a longer cause > consequence span without having people cry "if I had known *two weeks* earlier!!".
I usually reach that point with about 1000 gold (with one chariot bought) and my people have a high morale (20/30).
During the first phase, only Pom can do something, so I let the others rest, which helps a lot for the last run.
I think you need to somehow balance out the gameplay with the story.
Again, for that bit, it's really because the game, to me, feels more like a "one shot" (for those familiar with tabletop RPGs). You can't *really* fail anyway... but it's true that if you didn't do very well, you don't get the happy ending.
Speaking of which, can you even win the game if you completely mismanage the store? I'll have to go back and try.
I still wonder if you can *really* be stuck. Rest doesn't cost a thing. Resting ups morale. At worst, you just stop working, let your rep go down to 0, who cares, and start again. But it might be quicker to restart the game :).
But to answer your question : no, you probably can't... since you won't be able to hold your rep high enough to trigger the scenario advancement.
A good idea of the above is something like this:
Myeh... but I still have something against a true game over. Somehow, to me it's more fitting to give you a bitter tasting victory :3... *evil*
Pom brought back ingredients.....
They're really remnants of what the game should have been. Pom is a good *hunter*... which will certainly be useful in MagBou2 ^.^... and should have been in MG1, but we had to cut it short. As DaFool said, Amber and Orpiment were made useful at the last moment, just to make Pom something else than "yet another brewer".
Something similar with working on the weekend would be cool.
Good point ^^. Noted.
Oh releasing the code would be fantastic too.
As DaFool said, it will happen. If it can help people make more original games, I'm all for it :). But just allow us to bask in this "how did they do that??" pool for a moment ^o^.
Even providing the assets would allow people to see what they made.
Except for window/frame/button backgrounds, I don't think there's anything "magic" in the game. Sprites are sprites... bgs are bgs. But ya, if you have a doubt, you can already ask.
Maybe the community can make, "Magical Boutique Xtreme Edition".
No kidding allowed :P. You *can* do it with the custom.rpy file attached to the main post.
Anvil wrote:but I couldn't ignore Magical Boutique and just had to express my enjoyment.
And bringing enjoyment to people was the goal, so thanks for validating this ^.^
Your question is answered above ("Pom brought back ingredients").
Ever since the release of 1.0b, I'm in the same boat as every other player and could only guess what's going on.
Aww, I'm sorry ^^;... I guess you'd like the source code too? ^^;... Sorry, I just tried to release the patches as quickly as possible ^^

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#72 Post by DaFool »

edit: Getting there... ^_^

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#73 Post by kara24601 »

I don't know why the other versions were so weird , ( especially since I had patched them ) , but I was finally able to play through entirely in one of my copies of the game. Of course , I redownloaded the game , made two folders and put the game in one...copied into the other....patched both with the latest patch ....Put custom.rpy in one.
When I got to the part where I had to make a new potion for the soldiers...I didn't have enough money anymore to pay Fram and Pom's salaries. In the end , I wasn't able to save the soldiers but got to see the "let's all get better in our skills and reopen the shop someday!" ending...Now I'm going to play through the copy that was patched with the latest patch but doesn't have custom.rpy in it and see how that goes. I think I'll stick with one chariot this time. I never spent money on shelves this time.
I can't wait for MB2! :lol:

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#74 Post by DaFool »

kara >> afaik the custom quest is just an example to show how its coded...the actual contents were already included in the default game. So its just a redundant script.
No matter how you did, as long as you didn't do ZERO potions, you get to see the ending where they will train then meet up again. It's the little bit before that is changed according to how many soldiers you save.
Speaking of patches, the latest internal patch I received fixes ALL the problems I'm aware of. Go ahead version 1.1! (And hopefully nothing weird is changed in the process).

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#75 Post by Watercolorheart »

Where's the link to the latest patch? ...
I'm not even the same person anymore