Elven Relations - v1.1 released!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Otaku Dash
Veteran

#46 Post by Otaku Dash »

chronoluminaire wrote:Yay, loads of people are playing Elven Relations! But darn, you would all have to do it just a few days before the v1.1 release, wouldn't you? :P
Otaku Dash wrote:The game is fairly well done, I'm pleased you managed to finally finish your long awaited project Chronoluminarie ^^
Yay, thankyou!
The music fits the mood of the game perfectly, including the tense and happy moments... the part where asilana sings got me a bit intrigued cause the bacground music seemed a bit far off from a harp (but I'm very picky on musical senses of mine lol) but nothing to worry about.
Hehehe. Yeah, it's played on a plucked instrument that sounds a little harplike, but isn't actually a harp. :?
I'm definetely intrigued about the "childhood Sweetheart" deal... but as I tryed to get closer I figured it would be kinda hard, and I didn't want to get depressed with a bad ending (I'm enough depressed as It is lol!).
Well, it doesn't get much worse than the standard bad ending, unless you happen to pursue Tohko just the wrong amount - enough to get her to open up to you a little, but not enough to let her trust you... that's the worst the game can offer.
So far it was well worth the wait *grins broadly and winks* Keep it up! I'll be sure to get version 1.1 when it gets out :)
Thankyou for the kind words! :oops:
Yay so v1.1 is coming up soon!!! Woo *dances*

I had my frist 2 exams this Saturday adn monday so couldn't pick ER again... but I'll do so as soon ^^ (hopefully with version 1.1 :P ;) ).

*smiles* No need to thank me.. I say things because I mean them... t's a very well organized game and the ambience and storytelling are very well balanced and written... so it catches the interest of the player with ease... that's one of the main things a visual novel/game has to do besides flashing gameplay or graphics ^^ So the question is: should we be thanked, or should we be thanking you for the fford you put on this so the fans could play it ;) *laughs and smiles*

Lol don't take serious teh harp thing... I'm addicted to music so i'm very sensible to various sounds.... the background instrument at first sounded more like a bandolin, a a strap folk guitar... that's why it felt a bit wierd. Harps have a more melodic sound wave with vibrates the strings for short bursts of time... the qay the sound was played it felt like they were strumming the instrument instead of making it melodicly vibrate (of course doing so with a bandolin or guitar is fairly hard withough a sinthsizer). Anyways... it was a bit of my two cents... beacuse it sounded a bit wierd an elfen intrument not be so melodic... but I'm no music guru ^^; *smiles*

Well about Tohko... my teory is that when she felt on the bush something must have happened to tick her off badly... either becauseshe cared for the main chara or that something more deep happened... anywas I won't go divagating much due to not wanting to create ilusions or spoilers when people don't want them ^^; Kids are just mean to each other... and aldults can do much worse than kids :) *smiles*

Anyways... good luck with v.1.1!!!
-Dash-
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Jake
Support Hero

#47 Post by Jake »

chronoluminaire wrote:Yay, loads of people are playing Elven Relations! But darn, you would all have to do it just a few days before the v1.1 release, wouldn't you? :P
How far off is it? I started playing as soon as the download was up, then got dragged away - all the things I didn't do in March to make NaNoRenO time have been catching up with me. I was hoping to get back to some of the NaNo games over the next few days, I guess I'll wait for this...
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#48 Post by PyTom »

chronoluminaire wrote: Eek! I was using renpy.random, and I thought that was preserved across rollback and savegames. I'll have to chase Py'Tom about that... I'm probably doing something wrong :?

No, this is the expected behavior. The random information is cleared out on game reload. It's fairly traditional that saving and loading will allow a random event to obtain a different outcome.

Saving and reloading to get a desired outcome is a time-honored gameplay technique.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#49 Post by chronoluminaire »

Jake wrote:
How far off is it? I started playing as soon as the download was up, then got dragged away - all the things I didn't do in March to make NaNoRenO time have been catching up with me. I was hoping to get back to some of the NaNo games over the next few days, I guess I'll wait for this...
Well, as always it's hard to say. But the combat engine is done, the CG gallery is done, and a couple of the script tweaks are done. The drunkenness reworking and the MultiPersistent data are the significant things left still to implement. I hope to have it done by this weekend; definitely by the end of the month.

In practice, though, don't let me stop you playing :)
PyTom wrote:No, this is the expected behavior. The random information is cleared out on game reload. It's fairly traditional that saving and loading will allow a random event to obtain a different outcome.

Saving and reloading to get a desired outcome is a time-honored gameplay technique.
Good point; fair enough. On rethinking it's probably better this way - I wouldn't want the user thinking the randomly determined choice had some deep significance.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#50 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Oh my God! I'm trying to get ending 1! So HARD! X( Don't tell me it's super secret -- so secret that only speshul peope can get it? Gah! Oh well, gotta keep trying...

O_O Mind boggling...I can't put it down. Must...find...ultimate...SECRET!!

teankun
Regular

#51 Post by teankun »

Yay!! I got the two good Yurika endings and the best Tohko ending.
Now I have to figure out the best for Yurika and Alisina
chronoluminaire wrote:
On a simular note, for the first sequence of the banquet eventually Takuya talks everybody. I assume that whoever he tells Kei he is interested in may affect the outcome, but otherwise, does the sequence of the people you decide to talk to (wether drunk or sober) affect the outcome?
You should watch to see if any of the text varies.
Yes, it does, but in a relatively obvious fashion.
Sure enough, that made the difference for Tohko.
BTW, I liked her feline expression when they go to their rooms after the banquet
Last edited by teankun on Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#52 Post by musical74 »

OK....started the download now....gonna take at LEAST 4 hours :shock: but based on what everyone says, it's well worth it. (Hate dialup sometimes....) Once I've had a chance to DL it and play it a bit, I'll give you the pros and cons (but based on what everyone's saying, there probably won't be much in the way of cons... :) )
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#53 Post by Enerccio »

Finally finished...
I like it a lot!
And I got Tohko ending... great ^^ she was my choose from beginning! :D
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#54 Post by musical74 »

YAY!!! I've got an elven lady for a girlfriend!!! :D

OK Pros and cons time!

PRO:

Music is great! When there's a feeling of being attacked, and when you are threatened by archers the first time...that's good music =) =)

Lots of choices =) That makes it fun to try and see what works, what doesn't =)

Each character is well defined, and well thought out. You have *swordsman* *ranger* *fire mage* *Lt* *ambassador* and *elven lady* all with very defined views on things. *Ambassador* is full of himself and doesn't think much of the others, *Fire mage* has a history with *Swordsman* and *ranger* - and doesn't seem to like *swordsman* either!...it's great =) =) I also like that the swordsman isn't *all brawn* either...=)

Graphics: as expected, these were great =)

CON:

Uhhhhh....ummmmmmm.....ah! there is a MINOR thing....just me, but everyone's nice to everyone (even Tohko, once you get past her ire) - expect the ambassador seems to have a *I'm so much better than everyone else* complex. Gets annoying...but it's part of what makes the game fun!

This really is a great game, chronoluminare...good stuff =)

Oh, yeah....5 hours 15 minutes to download the thing (did I mention I hate dialup?) but very glad that I did download this =)
Last edited by musical74 on Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#55 Post by PrettySammy09 »

musical74 wrote: Uhhhhh....ummmmmmm.....ah! there is a MINOR thing....just me, but everyone's nice to everyone (even Tohko, once you get past her ire) - expect the ambassador seems to have a *I'm so much better than everyone else* complex. Gets annoying...but it's part of what makes the game fun!
>_< Grraaah!!! How can you not love my darling Makoto?!! He's amazing!

On a serious note, I'm super happy that your game is getting so well-reviewed chronoluminare! It deserves all the praise it is receiving!

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#56 Post by F.I.A »

Got the normal ending, since I am a guy who is awfully biased. :lol:

Have to say I like the writing you do for this work. It is narrated in a way that I can picture the scenarios quite well. And also the feeling you instilled in. Even Makoto got much senses put in him to be able to stand alone.

The time when Asilana sings also captured me. The voice rhythmes well with the tune from the harp.

Well, I have to share with others that ER is not totally fleshed out. To me, the story can go on from Episode 6, where some schemes surfaced, with the party trying to solve thing and such. This is probably influenced by how the townfolks of a race viewing the other(How the elves have to eat with the five as a sort of task, how human commoners badmouth about Asilana etc..). There is also the speaking of the Mer. A 3 races conflict sounds tempting(Perhaps, the mer schemes an assassination, and blame it on Asilana, causing more conflict between human and elf).

There is also the rather repetitive text for the battle part. But since you promised a battle system for future version, I will skip that.

And also, this is my own personal preference, but I feel weirded out when Takuya and friends are japanese-named. Not that I hate japanese names in general, but since it is a fantasy story, the names do not fit in as it will in most cases(Unless the five are some who traveled from the Earth or something). Probably because I am spoiled by most fantasy series where the main character is magical themed("Rudy Gurtforchun","Talos Hawkeye".).

To me, tt does not have the charm of When I Rule The World, but it is definitely a nice work. Plus, as I said, you can easily expand the story if you want and make it a 13 episodes(Standard count for an anime title). :P

I shall recheck this one again when it hits v1.1.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#57 Post by chronoluminaire »

Jake wrote:How far off is it? I started playing as soon as the download was up, then got dragged away - all the things I didn't do in March to make NaNoRenO time have been catching up with me. I was hoping to get back to some of the NaNo games over the next few days, I guess I'll wait for this...
v1.1 is expected to be out in the next day or two. I'd been hoping for before the end of April, but you know how these things go.

New in v1.1:
Choice of RPG-style combat system or v1.0-style narrated combat
When choices are made randomly for you, it's a lot clearer that's what's happening (and it doesn't block rollback)
CG gallery
Ending CGs for each good ending
Some text reworked to be clearer
One new piece of music, plus one rerecorded piece of music
And an omake!

Also as a separate download, SunKitten's putting together some desktop backgrounds, for those of you who want your icons sitting on top of an Elven ambassador ;)
Enerccio wrote:Finally finished...
I like it a lot!
And I got Tohko ending... great ^^ she was my choose from beginning! :D
Excellent! :) Thanks for playing, and thanks for posting!
F.I.A wrote:Well, I have to share with others that ER is not totally fleshed out. To me, the story can go on from Episode 6, where some schemes surfaced, with the party trying to solve thing and such. This is probably influenced by how the townfolks of a race viewing the other(How the elves have to eat with the five as a sort of task, how human commoners badmouth about Asilana etc..). There is also the speaking of the Mer. A 3 races conflict sounds tempting(Perhaps, the mer schemes an assassination, and blame it on Asilana, causing more conflict between human and elf).
There is a lot of potential for that kind of thing, I suppose. I'm reminded of Heart de Roommate, a delightful ren'ai game split into episodes, where you can get together with a girl after episode 13, but the story continues for another 13 episodes charting your relationship.

Still, Elven Relations was always meant to just be a simple game with a simple plot. (Yeah, I realise it has more choices than most other OELVNs. Looks like I failed there :P) For more intrigue in the Elven Relations world, you'll have to get me to write a sequel :)
There is also the rather repetitive text for the battle part. But since you promised a battle system for future version, I will skip that.
Yeah, I can see that would get repetitive. But it was always meant as just a narrated alternative to the RPG-style combat, and people don't generally complain about those being repetitive. At least not when there are only three of them :)
And also, this is my own personal preference, but I feel weirded out when Takuya and friends are japanese-named. Not that I hate japanese names in general, but since it is a fantasy story, the names do not fit in as it will in most cases(Unless the five are some who traveled from the Earth or something). Probably because I am spoiled by most fantasy series where the main character is magical themed("Rudy Gurtforchun","Talos Hawkeye".).
I can see that, too. When I originally conceived Elven Relations, many of the characters were "borrowed" from the setting of Beautiful Days, another ren'ai game I'd been planning, and that one was set in a military academy in contemporary Japan. If I were making Elven Relations up from scratch, I might give the characters more neutral fantasy-style names, like Asilana, Masathor, and the other characters who weren't from Beautiful Days.
To me, tt does not have the charm of When I Rule The World, but it is definitely a nice work. Plus, as I said, you can easily expand the story if you want and make it a 13 episodes(Standard count for an anime title). :P

I shall recheck this one again when it hits v1.1.
I'm quite a fan of intricately crafted plotlines with lots of intrigue and gradually-revealed secrets as well, so you can probably expect my future games to be a little more to your taste.

One thing I will say is that if you only got the normal ending, you missed out on quite a bit of the secrets that the characters have. Elven Relations' "normal" plot is a bit lacking, I'll admit, but the depth is in the stories of the individual girls, and a lot of that you might miss out on if you only saw the common route.

Thanks for playing and for posting - I appreciate the feedback!
musical74 wrote:YAY!!! I've got an elven lady for a girlfriend!!! :D
I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)
Music is great! When there's a feeling of being attacked, and when you are threatened by archers the first time...that's good music =) =)
Heehee, glad you liked it. That particular track is by Olga Scotland, as are a couple of others. Most of the background music is by Celestial Aeon Project, and I also use a couple of tracks by Dream ED and Kangaroo MusiQue. All distributed by Jamendo, which is a great place to find Creative Commons music :)
Uhhhhh....ummmmmmm.....ah! there is a MINOR thing....just me, but everyone's nice to everyone (even Tohko, once you get past her ire) - expect the ambassador seems to have a *I'm so much better than everyone else* complex. Gets annoying...but it's part of what makes the game fun!
Hmm... is your "con" that everyone gets on nicely with everyone, or that Makoto doesn't? That's just part of Makoto's personality :P
This really is a great game, chronoluminare...good stuff =)

Oh, yeah....5 hours 15 minutes to download the thing (did I mention I hate dialup?) but very glad that I did download this =)
Owch :( It's possible I might be able to reduce the filesize for v1.1 a bit. I hope so!
But thanks for playing, and for the kind words :)
Last edited by chronoluminaire on Fri May 04, 2007 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#58 Post by monele »

Woop, new version :D... That'll be incentive to finally play through this one (still have my half-done game... XD). Seems like there won't be a battle system in this one though? (not sure wether I think it's a good thing or not)

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#59 Post by chronoluminaire »

monele wrote:Woop, new version :D... That'll be incentive to finally play through this one (still have my half-done game... XD). Seems like there won't be a battle system in this one though? (not sure wether I think it's a good thing or not)
What do you mean? The first item in my "Coming in v1.1" list is "Choice of RPG-style combat system or v1.0-style narrated combat". So if you don't want to play the combat minigame, you won't have to, but it's most definitely there.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#60 Post by monele »

Woop then ^^. Will it be a very standard system or did you go for something original?