Moe Escape [Escape the room, Horror, Cuteness]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

Re: Moe Escape [Escape the room, Horror, Cuteness]

#61 Post by Ionait »

LolicOnion wrote: OH WOOOW!!!
That was a super crazy experience actually watching someone play my game.
EDIT: Do you have a Deviant Art account?
You know, I never thought of it that way, but I guess let's plays would be really helpful for game creators working on sequels and new games. I know I stumbled on some obvious things regarding the UI >.> basically everything about the UI, but I personally still wouldn't change anything about that! I like the old school adventure game feeling of it too, and honestly I played it really late at night when my brain was not functioning so awesome. xD

I'm glad you took something out of watching the whole way through though! I plan on doing more videos of RenPy-made games, and yours will definitely be on my radar. ^^

I technically do have a Deviant Art account, but really no. I haven't updated it in years. Nowadays anything I make goes up on Facebook, YouTube, or is live-streamed with Twitch.

Virelai
Regular

#62 Post by Virelai »

OMGAH. a;lskdgjak;lsjgak;lsgj;laksjg IT's adorable. I want to cuddle the screen. :3 Heh. I loved the storyline and all the puzzle etc. It was really well done. -;Claps;+

Bravo!

EXCELLENT JOB! \(^.^)/!!

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#63 Post by pwisaguacate »

I cried...

Okay, it's too short to do so, and I scratched my head a bit upon seeing the 79.2 MB unpacked file size and finishing the game. Excellent character and execution of gameplay though. I wanted to give her a hug and play sock ventriloquism (lol?) or cat's cradle a la Seitokai Yakuindomo.

LolicOnion
Regular

#64 Post by LolicOnion »

pwisaguacate wrote:I cried...

Okay, it's too short to do so, and I scratched my head a bit upon seeing the 79.2 MB unpacked file size and finishing the game. Excellent character and execution of gameplay though. I wanted to give her a hug and play sock ventriloquism (lol?) or cat's cradle a la Seitokai Yakuindomo.
Yeah, sorry about the file size. It has to do with the fact that there are so many images paired with the fact that the release has stuff for mac, windows, and linux all combined in there. And lol @ yakuindomo reference

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#65 Post by pwisaguacate »

pwisaguacate wrote:....
Oh whoops, I have to correct myself. It's no Ichizon, not Yakuindomo. It has been quite awhile since I watched both of these, and they were kinda funny. Ahh help me, I'm imagining Fabienne in Elise mode.

EDIT: Second series finished on December 15, 2012? How did I miss this?!
Last edited by pwisaguacate on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#66 Post by wyverngem »

Okay stuck, anyone have the passcode?

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#67 Post by pwisaguacate »

wyverngem wrote:Okay stuck, anyone have the passcode?
A hint was posted much earlier, but I don't blame you for missing it.

Basically, the letters and circles on the piece of paper aren't oriented the same way (are rotated).

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#68 Post by wyverngem »

Do I have to hit the green button when I'm done entering the code?

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#69 Post by pwisaguacate »

Yes, after hitting the four buttons in the right sequence, the green square button will open the door.

Goblin Market

#70 Post by Goblin Market »

You did a great job making this game.

It's short and fun and not too hard for Ren'Py beginners like me. The best part is how it shows a lot of the potential of Ren'Py in action. I see a lot of VNs here, but not many with this level of interaction. Good artwork too!

LolicOnion
Regular

#71 Post by LolicOnion »

pwisaguacate wrote:
pwisaguacate wrote:....
EDIT: Second series finished on December 15, 2012? How did I miss this?!

Cuz it was a low rez web series T__T

I really wish they did a regular season. The show definitely deserved it.
Goblin Market wrote:You did a great job making this game.

It's short and fun and not too hard for Ren'Py beginners like me. The best part is how it shows a lot of the potential of Ren'Py in action. I see a lot of VNs here, but not many with this level of interaction. Good artwork too!
THANK YOU!!!
So... much... T__T (tears of joy)

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#72 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

interesting game. I think it would have been nice to have a separate way of telling her to use an item. that way it's easier to tell when something didn't work.

if you make another game like this, I would advise against imagemaps if possible, as they're not very dynamic or efficient.

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#73 Post by pwisaguacate »

KimiYoriBaka wrote:interesting game. I think it would have been nice to have a separate way of telling her to use an item. that way it's easier to tell when something didn't work.

if you make another game like this, I would advise against imagemaps if possible, as they're not very dynamic or efficient.
Wait, what? It couldn't have been much more obvious when something doesn't work...

It's a point-and-click type of game; could you explain a little more? (I haven't used imagemaps before.)

EDIT: Ah, I see... thanks. The thing on imagebuttons makes sense too.
Last edited by pwisaguacate on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#74 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

@pwisaguacate:
I'll put into context. when I obtained the rock, the first idea that came to mind was that fabienne could smash the grating on the pipe. I equipped the rock, then clicked on the pipe, but all she did was look at the pipe. Then I tried dragging the rock, since that is a common way to use items in game, but it didn't work.

it wasn't till tried clicking on other things to investigate some more that I realized that use of items was automatic. Before that though, I also tried the same process on the net to see if the rock could break the net. when I say that use of items should be separate, I don't mean the interface should distinguish, but that the game itself should distinguish between the use of an item not working and not using an item.

the reason I suggest not using an imagemap is a separate issue. imagemaps are useful for simple image-based menus, but they're not very good at adjusting for the current game state. if you tried to make a full-length adventure game with them, that disadvantage would become very important very quickly. looking at the explanation for the inventory, I think this game already reached the point where imagebuttons and possibly and better overall structure would have helped immensely.

LolicOnion
Regular

#75 Post by LolicOnion »

KimiYoriBaka wrote:@pwisaguacate:
I'll put into context. when I obtained the rock, the first idea that came to mind was that fabienne could smash the grating on the pipe. I equipped the rock, then clicked on the pipe, but all she did was look at the pipe. Then I tried dragging the rock, since that is a common way to use items in game, but it didn't work.

it wasn't till tried clicking on other things to investigate some more that I realized that use of items was automatic. Before that though, I also tried the same process on the net to see if the rock could break the net. when I say that use of items should be separate, I don't mean the interface should distinguish, but that the game itself should distinguish between the use of an item not working and not using an item.

the reason I suggest not using an imagemap is a separate issue. imagemaps are useful for simple image-based menus, but they're not very good at adjusting for the current game state. if you tried to make a full-length adventure game with them, that disadvantage would become very important very quickly. looking at the explanation for the inventory, I think this game already reached the point where imagebuttons and possibly and better overall structure would have helped immensely.
I worked with what I know how to do :D

I did a lot of research before hand and this is what I came up with. If you know some other methods to make a game like this in Ren'py, could you point me in the direction of some tutorials?