Outlandish Move [VN][Lang-Learn][Jpn/Eng]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
darlo
Regular
Completed: Outlandish Move
Organization: Unorganised

Outlandish Move [VN][Lang-Learn][Jpn/Eng]

#1 Post by darlo »

Update:
Well, the audio version is now up and ready for playing. I hope you enjoy it :mrgreen:
http://outlandishmove.wordpress.com/
---------------
Well folks, after 7 months of work my first visual novel is ready for you.
Still appealing for voice Actors for the audio version! http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/sh ... ndish-Move

Outlandish Moves
untitled-1.jpg
For those who didn't see the progress thread, Outlandish Moves is a game designed for language practice. I teach English in Japan, and wanted to make a game for students, and present them with a situation where they would have to use English.
untitled-2.jpg
The player moves to a small town in Japan, and is due to start at the local junior high school. However on his/her first day they are somehow transported to a school in the UK, where they were 'expected' as the new exchange student. How they choose to act and how well they use the English language will affect their outcome, and possibly their survival.
untitled-3.jpg
Characters were drawn by Widget, Fioricca, YonYonYon and Bubblesey. Though one character is a photoshopped version of myself (mainly for laughs from my students).
untitled-4.jpg
Backgrounds and object art have come from a range of Creative Commons sources, as well as my own photographic library ... including going out to get specific pictures ... including waiting at a train station for an hour to get a picture of a specific train's interior. Full links can be found on the credits page.
untitled-5.jpg
I had alot of help with checking for language errors. Not just Japanese, but my own use of English (embarrassing for an English teacher I know, but we're all human ... I think). A full list of people who helped can also be found on the credits page.
untitled-6.jpg
Although the game is 'complete' there are still many things that I want to do. The main thing I want is to have voice acting used. This will help students listening skills, and it also means they don't have to wholly rely on the text. I had already put an appeal out for VAs, but with the deadline of school graduation (which is happening tomorrow by the way), I had to put that on hold.
untitled-7.jpg
Outlandish Move can be downloaded from the website. I eagerly await any feedback you have, and I hope you enjoy the game.
Last edited by darlo on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

darlo
Regular

Re: Outlandish Move [VN][Lang-Learn][Jpn/Eng]

#2 Post by darlo »

Oh, and there are 20 endings.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#3 Post by Kokoro Hane »

This game looks really cute! Games really are the best way to teach a language. Awww, the deadline for voices already passed (would be so fun to voice act in Japanese, since I am learning it). Good luck with it, though!

I'll be downloading this game later and see how it is. It'll be a bit hard to navigate since I am still learning kanji, but I can manage ^.^
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

darlo
Regular

#4 Post by darlo »

Kokoro Hane wrote:This game looks really cute! Games really are the best way to teach a language. Awww, the deadline for voices already passed (would be so fun to voice act in Japanese, since I am learning it). Good luck with it, though!

I'll be downloading this game later and see how it is. It'll be a bit hard to navigate since I am still learning kanji, but I can manage ^.^
Thank you very much, the VA deadline was for back when I thought I could get it in before the end of the project, but it's very likely I'll be extending some audition time.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#5 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Ooh, awesome~

I played through it once, and it was a fun and cute game! I got 24 English (not sure what the max is, but since I am a native speaker LOL). I did have trouble when it came to "what is (Japanese sentence) into English", mainly due to being unable to read it LOL, so I had to stab. But overall, this is very well made and cute. The characters are fun and do make you wanna stay~
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#6 Post by wyverngem »

:) It's interesting to play, especially when English is your native language and Japanese was two semesters in college. It might be fun to play in reverse as well, keep the content just reverse the languages.

darlo
Regular

#7 Post by darlo »

wyverngem wrote::) It's interesting to play, especially when English is your native language and Japanese was two semesters in college. It might be fun to play in reverse as well, keep the content just reverse the languages.
Thanks, I think that might be an idea for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the line :D

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#9 Post by Ran08 »

すごいね?!
(Amazing! Haha.)
I like this a lot. However, I only get bits and pieces of their conversation because I can't read lots of kanji. Hahaha. I can't read most of the kanji actually, but they look sort of familiar. I wish there was a kana only version though. Hahaha. :))
But I find it interesting how Michiko-chan is suddenly Michelle now. Mehehe. I love stories like that.
And this is really helpful! I find a kanji that I recognize (And can somehow guess the reading) but I don't know the meaning of, and I immediately search it up. So far, I've learned a couple of kanji already, so thank you. :)

Done with one ending! Hahaha. That was a nice little game. :) The only trouble I had was with some of the kanji, but I loved it! I learned a lot of kanji from this. Lol. =) And it's fun to play over and over again, therefore learning even more. ^^ I had to do a lot of guesswork on the reading though. I hope the voiced version will come out! :)

I like the story too, very interesting. I don't know if I missed this though, but
since I chose to stay, I didn't get to see okaasan anymore. *sigh* I only saw him congratulate the two. And I know he congratulated Michelle because of her Japanese learning progress, while I don't know why he congratulated Wayne. XD
Again, thanks a lot for this too! :) It could also work the other way and teach English speakers some Japanese too, only if they could read or at least, recognize some Kanji. ^^ Very good game. I don't know if it works for language learning (English to Japanese), but for practicing what I've learned, it's a great one.

Ongoingwhy

#10 Post by Ongoingwhy »

I'll download this. I wonder if it'll work for people learning Japanese...

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#11 Post by Ran08 »

@Ongoingwhy
I think it works. :D Well, it works for me. But only if you can read kana and knows, or at least recognizes, decent kanji. If not, then your nose is gonna bleed a lot by reading this. :) But if you do, then it's a great (not to mention, fun) way to practice.

I do hope there would be voice acting soon though! That would be a lot more helpful.

darlo
Regular

#12 Post by darlo »

Ran08 wrote:すごいね?!
(Amazing! Haha.)
I like this a lot. However, I only get bits and pieces of their conversation because I can't read lots of kanji. Hahaha. I can't read most of the kanji actually, but they look sort of familiar. I wish there was a kana only version though. Hahaha. :))
But I find it interesting how Michiko-chan is suddenly Michelle now. Mehehe. I love stories like that.
And this is really helpful! I find a kanji that I recognize (And can somehow guess the reading) but I don't know the meaning of, and I immediately search it up. So far, I've learned a couple of kanji already, so thank you. :)

Done with one ending! Hahaha. That was a nice little game. :) The only trouble I had was with some of the kanji, but I loved it! I learned a lot of kanji from this. Lol. =) And it's fun to play over and over again, therefore learning even more. ^^ I had to do a lot of guesswork on the reading though. I hope the voiced version will come out! :)

I like the story too, very interesting. I don't know if I missed this though, but
since I chose to stay, I didn't get to see okaasan anymore. *sigh* I only saw him congratulate the two. And I know he congratulated Michelle because of her Japanese learning progress, while I don't know why he congratulated Wayne. XD
Again, thanks a lot for this too! :) It could also work the other way and teach English speakers some Japanese too, only if they could read or at least, recognize some Kanji. ^^ Very good game. I don't know if it works for language learning (English to Japanese), but for practicing what I've learned, it's a great one.
Thank you very muchfor your kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed it. A few people have asked if I'd make (or consider making) a reversed version so that it helps people learning Japanese, so perhaps that would be one of my future projects.
The voice acting version will definately go ahead, I can give you a guarantee of that. Literally, I'm typing this message while inputting the audio files from the voice actors.
As for your ending,
each of the 20 endings give a different potential future, and also show some characters extra abilities and personalities. Everyone has a background that doesn't always come up in the game (unless you hit all of the endings and can put the pieces together, a feat which is very hard given some of the very specific requirements for some of them), so on the game's website there is a spoilers page to tell you more about what's going on
(nothing on it yet though, too early I feel).

darlo
Regular

#13 Post by darlo »

Update:
Well, the audio version is now up and ready for playing. I hope you enjoy it :mrgreen:

Campbell

#14 Post by Campbell »

Well even though i can't understand Japanese, but this game is wonderful and i got 33 points for my second time playing this :D the story is interesting too (i can guess the story through the comments though), and i believe this will be very useful for your students, because i'm a student and i found it very interesting playing this too :D

darlo
Regular

#15 Post by darlo »

Campbell wrote:Well even though i can't understand Japanese, but this game is wonderful and i got 33 points for my second time playing this :D the story is interesting too (i can guess the story through the comments though), and i believe this will be very useful for your students, because i'm a student and i found it very interesting playing this too :D
Thank you very much