May-chan ~ a KN

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

May-chan ~ a KN

#1 Post by ririruetoo »

After many months of waiting, May-chan is finally completed!

History:

I wrote May-chan almost two years ago as a short story. After finishing I immediately knew I had to turn it into a visual novel to share with the community. Although this story isn't very long, I thought that it was meaningful enough to share.

Plot:

A young man working at a firm contemplates this existence, a young boy shares a friendship with a odd girl.

I would like to express my thanks to ScottySeng (my amazing programmer & GUI artist!) and Fion-a ( my very dear and lovable sprite artist!) without whom this release would not have been possible.

I hope everyone enjoys this short little story, because I know I had a fun time writing it.
Attachments
May_Chan.zip
(50.95 MiB) Downloaded 263 times
comprend.PNG
office.PNG
Last edited by ririruetoo on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Re: May-chan ~ a KN

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

Cute :)

+ I can relate to the MC more than I probably should :P
+ Nice compact, understandable story

- minor grammatical errors
- the black/white scene music beginning over and over became a little jarring

A tiny bit of textbox graphic customization might work wonders for this.
Maybe I spaced out, but why so long for her to contact him?
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by ririruetoo »

@Blue Lemma

I'm glad you enjoyed it ( yes sorry for the small errors, as I said I wrote it a while ago, and I'd like to believe my writing has improved since then). Honestly I don't know if its a good thing you identify with the MC or not...I suppose that's fine though.
hopefully I didn't dig up any sad memories for you!
and in answer to your comment:
I honestly have no idea why she didn't contact him, perhaps she was unable to? I'd like to leave it up to interpretation.:)
ImageImageImage

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#4 Post by Blue Lemma »

No, it's not really a good thing :- x
Once you leave college and enter the working world, though, your social life tends to shrink :/
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#5 Post by enta »

Blue Lemma wrote:No, it's not really a good thing :- x
Once you leave college and enter the working world, though, your social life tends to shrink :/
---does this mean my social life would be: 0.0001--->0.0000??? :cry:

A---nd I enjoyed it more than I thought I would do!!! And the rest were like what Blue Lemma said.
I don't play KNs very much but I'm glad I did this time >:3

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by ririruetoo »

Thank you, that really means a lot. I'm glad you enjoyed it, that's one of the reasons I write, so people can enjoy it.
ImageImageImage

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#7 Post by Blue Lemma »

enta wrote:---does this mean my social life would be: 0.0001--->0.0000??? :cry:
There are exceptions ^^

Besides, it would probably just go 0.0001--->0.00005 ;)
- Napoleon Bonaparte

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#8 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Playing through now. I'll presume that you'd like feedback.
If so, please tell me how you like your feedback.

For instance, my general feelings, any glaring issues, things that could be improved, or as many tiny oddities as possible. Or perhaps you have something else you'd like.

I'm not out to stomp on anyone's projects, but sometimes people want a lot of critical analysis. Be warned though, if you want it critical, I will pick it apart with a microscope.

Anyway, I'm going to continue playing (only just started), so I'll wait for a reply before posting feedback.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by ririruetoo »

@TrickWithAKnife

Perhaps just your general feelings mixed with whatever else you feel you need to say? I don't care. :D
ImageImageImage

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

For a start, well done completing a game in such a limited time. One month is the blink of an eye in my books.

Overall, I think you did well, especially considering the time limit. There were a few small things that caught my attention, such as the main character sighing a lot.
The fact that May was dead also caught me kind of by surprise, but perhaps not in the intended way. I had presumed that they had just lost contact over time, so when he received the letter, it just seemed like they were going to be friends again. It was suddenly "Oh, she was dead, but she's still communicating with him". I think it would have had more tension if both points hadn't been revealed at the same time.
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by ririruetoo »

@TrickWithAKnife

I suppose I should thank you for your praise, but... this wasn't for Nano. I wrote this more than a year ago and my programmer has been programming it for about three months ( school and stuff took up a lot of his time). So um...Thank you for playing?
Yes I realize the whole revelation thing happened quickly but that was how I intended it, and as for the MC sighing...Who would NOT sigh in his situation?
ImageImageImage

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Lol, oops. I charged in with the assumption that all recently released games were nanoreno.
No offence intended. I think you still did well. It's extremely rare for a game to hold my attention long enough for me to play it to the end.