A Rose by Any Other Name [Short Fantasy KN] (Ver. 1.5)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
feathersnake
Regular
Completed: A Rose by Any Other Name
Projects: Color, You've Got Mail!
Organization: Olfix Productions
Tumblr: olfix
Deviantart: olfix

A Rose by Any Other Name [Short Fantasy KN] (Ver. 1.5)

#1 Post by feathersnake »

A Rose album cover.png
A short Kinetic Novel by OLFIX Productions
Version 1.5 updates
--An option to switch between English and German in the preferences. (With much thanks to the German translator, Marcel Weyers!)
-Fixed a typo and the timing of the music during the Rose & Hazel CG near the end. Also, very slight changes to some of the GUI.

Summary

A single rose is saved by a florist tending to the garden. Her feelings that result from his kindness give her the gift of speech, but the only one around to hear is the girl who owns the flower bed.
This is a short kinetic novel from the perspective of a rose.

Downloads (Ver. 1.5 + Deutsch)
Itch.io: Rose is now on itch.io if you're more comfortable downloading from there! --> Link

Windows: Mediafire | Dropbox(mirror) | Box.com(mirror)

Mac: Mediafire | Dropbox(mirror) | Box.com(mirror)

Linux: Mediafire | Dropbox(mirror) | Box.com(mirror)

Game Content
Screenshots:
Image Image Image

Music:
Hazel's Tears
A Heart's Desire

Characters:

Main Character - Rose
The only rose that survived her patch. As she develops feelings for the florist that saved her, she gains the unique ability to speak.
little rose sprite.png
little rose sprite.png (24.89 KiB) Viewed 2312 times

Florence
A kind florist that owns a flower shop of his own. He saved Rose because of a desperate request from a friend to help with her garden.
Florence sm.png
Hazel
The owner of the garden where Rose lives. She is the first to hear Rose speak, and eventually comes to listen to Rose and her dilemma.
Hazel sm.png
Witch
A witch that happens by Rose one day. She is the second to hear Rose speak.
Sillouhete 2.png
Staff

OLFIX Productions:
Art, Main Menu, Co-writing by Emeytroi
Music by Tawanka
Coding, Writing, GUI by Feathersnake

Guest Artists
Weddup
AshtonLi
Hazel-bun
Enkasai
AraiAi / Deskomu
Duskylli

Beta Testers
AntiquedFae
Duskylli

German Translator
Marcel Weyers

Bell sound effect
http://www.soundjay.com

About:

Hello! This is Olfix's first visual novel project. It's something short we decided on to get the hang of visual novel creation and working as a team. Emeytroi, Tawanka and Feathersnake are the Olfix Productions trio. We hope to create much more in the future, even outside of the VN format. Currently, Emeytroi is away for a year and a half and is unable to be here for the release. We're all very excited to present this project and hope everyone enjoys it! Thank you for taking a look!

Potential Future Updates for Rose:

-We are thinking about making an Android build of Rose in the future. However, this would take a little reformatting and some more thought as I have no idea what to expect from making a build for the Android market.
-Another plan is to make a smaller version of Rose for anyone with slow internet or a small screen.
-An NSIS Windows install might also be made for a more user friendly install.
Last edited by feathersnake on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Olfix Productions:
Tumblr | itch.io
Complete Projects:
A Rose by Any Other Name
In-progress:
Color | You've Got Mail!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: A Rose by Any Other Name [Short Fantasy KN]

#2 Post by Googaboga »

Oh yay congrats on the release :3. It's really neat to see this finished since I used to look at the WiP Thread for it a lot 'XD. I'll download it and give it a try when I can ^^.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#3 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Downloading this now :) Great job finishing you guys!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#4 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Wow! Awesome job! *donwloads now* can't wait to play this!
i'll cry if you yell at me

feathersnake
Regular

#5 Post by feathersnake »

Googaboga wrote:Oh yay congrats on the release :3. It's really neat to see this finished since I used to look at the WiP Thread for it a lot 'XD. I'll download it and give it a try when I can ^^.
Haha. Sorry to keep you waiting for so long. ><
Hazel-Bun wrote:Downloading this now :) Great job finishing you guys!
silverpikachu99 wrote:Wow! Awesome job! *donwloads now* can't wait to play this!
Thank you everyone! Thanks for giving it a try as well! We look forward to hearing your thoughts if you come back to share them!
Olfix Productions:
Tumblr | itch.io
Complete Projects:
A Rose by Any Other Name
In-progress:
Color | You've Got Mail!

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#6 Post by Ran08 »

Oh my gosh, it's released! Yippieeee. <3
Downloading right now. :)

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#7 Post by Hazel-Bun »

You'll be growing sunflowers as bright as your smile with a wave of your hand.
Name? Of who? Is there a talking iris nearby or something?
Crying? I'm not crying. I'm a rose; I can't cry.
I've always admired the small miracles in the world.
Mama?
Whelp :\ My heart just up and evaporated, then came back, then exploded into tears. Great job guys!!
I loved this game very much and for a short KN, I could visually see, hear, and feel the love that went into it. The dialogue was easy to follow, paced well and realistic. The little things like the animated CG near the end/animated sprites, extras screen, and even the opening rose tear was well done. My only gripe would probably be why Rose was enchanted or and where the Witch came from? Like is magic an established thing in this world? But from her mini-speech and Hazel's reaction, I'm just going to assume what I assume and leave it be. The ending was especially adorable with little Haru who looks like his Papa imma steal from Hazel encountering a new(?) rose! Over all just really liked this ;o; I can't wait for your next game it hope for it to be even better!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

feathersnake
Regular

#8 Post by feathersnake »

Ran08 wrote:Oh my gosh, it's released! Yippieeee. <3
Downloading right now. :)
Thanks for giving it a try! >~<
Hazel-Bun wrote:
You'll be growing sunflowers as bright as your smile with a wave of your hand.
Name? Of who? Is there a talking iris nearby or something?
Crying? I'm not crying. I'm a rose; I can't cry.
I've always admired the small miracles in the world.
Mama?
Whelp :\ My heart just up and evaporated, then came back, then exploded into tears. Great job guys!!
I loved this game very much and for a short KN, I could visually see, hear, and feel the love that went into it. The dialogue was easy to follow, paced well and realistic. The little things like the animated CG near the end/animated sprites, extras screen, and even the opening rose tear was well done. My only gripe would probably be why Rose was enchanted or and where the Witch came from? Like is magic an established thing in this world? But from her mini-speech and Hazel's reaction, I'm just going to assume what I assume and leave it be. The ending was especially adorable with little Haru who looks like his Papa imma steal from Hazel encountering a new(?) rose! Over all just really liked this ;o; I can't wait for your next game it hope for it to be even better!
Oh dear, I hope your heart recovers okay. :lol: Thank you! We're happy you liked it! Merry Christmas by the way! :D
Ahh. Thank you so much! Rose herself is a bit of a mystery, even to someone who lives with magic like the Witch. The Witch's dialogue hints that Rose probably isn't enchanted since Rose doesn't remember having a master/enchanter.There are a few different conclusions that can be drawn about what made Rose talk. ;) So really, that question is one of the things that is left to the perspective of the reader. (Much like the ending after the credits is.) As for magic being established in the world, it is to some extent, but isn't necessarily common knowledge. We've discussed making a VN about the Witch, and have even come up with a few plot points, but that's really up in the air and won't be able to be made until after Emeytroi is back in a year and a half anyways. Back before this story was fleshed out more, the main point of the Witch was to play the "fairy godmother" type of role for Rose. Of course, that is part of the role she still plays. Thank you again for your comments and questions! I hope we can continue to make more and even better games as well.
Also, good luck with your VN! I look forward to finally trying out that demo after it's released! I've been gawking over the GUI and art for a while now. Haha.
Olfix Productions:
Tumblr | itch.io
Complete Projects:
A Rose by Any Other Name
In-progress:
Color | You've Got Mail!

Arelune
Regular

#9 Post by Arelune »

So it's finally released! Luckily I just had some free time to play it.

It's too short to really leave an impact on me, but it's a nice game. Especially towards the end it's good. Love all the attention to details. :)

I noticed one typo, if you are interested in such things:
Rose's they just aren't... should be Roses they just aren't...
feathersnake wrote:
The Witch's dialogue hints that Rose probably isn't enchanted since Rose doesn't remember having a master/enchanter.There are a few different conclusions that can be drawn about what made Rose talk. ;)
I really thought the implication was the cat did it. With the bell sound always appearing and the comment of the witch at the end after Rose turns human.

feathersnake
Regular

#10 Post by feathersnake »

Arelune wrote:So it's finally released! Luckily I just had some free time to play it.

It's too short to really leave an impact on me, but it's a nice game. Especially towards the end it's good. Love all the attention to details. :)

I noticed one typo, if you are interested in such things:
Rose's they just aren't... should be Roses they just aren't...
Thank you! And thanks for pointing out the typo. I'll definitely fix it when I update.
It is pretty short. Haha. Lint says it has 2,992 words. We're probably going to get into longer and more complicated projects in the future. A small one like this one might pop up here and there in between though. Who knows.
feathersnake wrote:
The Witch's dialogue hints that Rose probably isn't enchanted since Rose doesn't remember having a master/enchanter.There are a few different conclusions that can be drawn about what made Rose talk. ;)
I really thought the implication was the cat did it. With the bell sound always appearing and the comment of the witch at the end after Rose turns human.
I was wondering if anyone would come to that conclusion. :) I'll just say that with the Witch's potential backstory, it isn't impossible.
Olfix Productions:
Tumblr | itch.io
Complete Projects:
A Rose by Any Other Name
In-progress:
Color | You've Got Mail!

Shiroisalva5
Projects: The fountain in the woods, Stained with Magic, Bog
Organization: Hikage Studios
Deviantart: saruva05.deviantart.
itch: kuroi05

#11 Post by Shiroisalva5 »

Hi there,
I played the game and i really like it. Hope to see new works anytime soon^^
I do have some bug reporting to do (also have screenshots).
Shall I send you a pm with the listing or do you have a preferred way for bug reporting? (email, website form etc..)
ImageImageImageImage

feathersnake
Regular

#12 Post by feathersnake »

Shiroisalva5 wrote:Hi there,
I played the game and i really like it. Hope to see new works anytime soon^^
I do have some bug reporting to do (also have screenshots).
Shall I send you a pm with the listing or do you have a preferred way for bug reporting? (email, website form etc..)
Thank you!
I've heard from one other person now about a few bugs on Mac. I'm still trying to figure out what may have caused them. It would be great if you could PM yours to me, unless you would rather send them by email. In that case, I can give you an address. :)
Olfix Productions:
Tumblr | itch.io
Complete Projects:
A Rose by Any Other Name
In-progress:
Color | You've Got Mail!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#13 Post by Googaboga »

Oh man I totally forgot to come back and post after I played this ^^;.

Anyways I really liked the story.
I especially liked that Rose cared about Florence as well as Hazel. Normally in these type of stories the "non-regular" girl is indifferent to the "regular" girl and mainly just pays attention to the guy. Or worse she is jealous of/dislikes the regular girl because they are able to be with the guy they like. So I appreciated that the change of pace :3.
The ending was also quite sweet :>. I also loved all those little extra things you guys added XD.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

feathersnake
Regular

#14 Post by feathersnake »

Googaboga wrote:Oh man I totally forgot to come back and post after I played this ^^;.

Anyways I really liked the story.
I especially liked that Rose cared about Florence as well as Hazel. Normally in these type of stories the "non-regular" girl is indifferent to the "regular" girl and mainly just pays attention to the guy. Or worse she is jealous of/dislikes the regular girl because they are able to be with the guy they like. So I appreciated that the change of pace :3.
The ending was also quite sweet :>. I also loved all those little extra things you guys added XD.
Oh, it's totally fine. ^-^ The release was right before the big holidays anyways, so I'm sure you had plenty to worry about already.

I'm glad it turned out well. >///< Thanks so much for playing and coming back to give us your thoughts!
Olfix Productions:
Tumblr | itch.io
Complete Projects:
A Rose by Any Other Name
In-progress:
Color | You've Got Mail!

nebulaway
Regular
Organization: Magical Girl Tears
Tumblr: nebula-way
itch: basicbaka

Re: A Rose by Any Other Name [Short Fantasy KN] (Ver. 1.5)

#15 Post by nebulaway »

hiii~~ i just read this kn and it's really sweet and sad. ;~; you guys did an amazing job on the story, music, and art! i can't wait to see what else you guys come up with! ^^
magical girl tears

current projects:
[ nothing (yet?) ]
always looking for a project to join as a writer!
please pm me if you'd like to collaborate with me!