The Reject Demon: Toko [GxG][Complete]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Taosym
Veteran
Projects: http://lupiesoft.com/
Organization: Lupiesoft

The Reject Demon: Toko [GxG][Complete]

#1 Post by Taosym »

Screenshots below:

Set in a world where demons ferry the souls of humans destined to die to the afterlife, The Reject Demon: Toko is about the demon Toko who’s been kicked out of Hell. Toko cannot ferry human souls to the underworld, and now on earth she finds herself becoming increasingly more human, much to her dismay. Her troubles however, are only beginning. Toko, now taken in by the human Nadia is chased by her past and the internal struggle inside herself. Toko is about comedy, romance and a Hell’s sacred art of Rock n’ Roll!

Preview of the song “Venetian Wine”
https://soundcloud.com/lupiesoft/venetian-wine

If you’d like to see me continue Toko in the future and other games and If you feel that you’d like to support Studio Lupiesoft to keep making games please feel free to pay whatever amount you feel is best. If you want you can even download the game for free, and if you like it, come back later and pay!

Art by Taosym
Writing by Funnyguts and Taosym
Programming by Funnyguts
Music by Ponyo and Ryuno
Editing by Shadocchi
GUI design/scripting by Taosym and Forsaken One
Special Thanks: Renpy, Uncle Mugen, Tam Music Factory, Freesound.org
Last edited by Taosym on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sleipnir56
Veteran
Completed: Under the Sycamore Tree,Timeless-D Gray Man VN(NanoRenO 2014)
Projects: Chocolate Kiss
Organization: SleiphericWings

Re: The Reject Demon: Toko [GxG][Complete]

#2 Post by Sleipnir56 »

Don't see to many Yuri games in VN. Looks really cool. Going to play it as soon as I can :)

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#3 Post by Fenrir34 »

Just got down playing this game. Not bad. I think the art is really beautiful and the backgrounds as well. They really fit into the story. Toko was a good laid back character and I liked how the relationship between her and Nadia grew. It was a short game, but fun as well. The story was good to and was well written, though there were a few mistakes. The only thing I'm a little divided about is the rock-n-roll in the story. Not saying that it was a bad part of the plot, but it felt a little strange having it in there. I thought that Toko trying to
find a place where she belongs and her relationship with Nadia
are the strongest points in the story. Also, I admit that the ending wasn't the best. If you're doing a sequel I can kind of understand it, but still, even cliff hangers need a sufficient ending.

Despite that part, the game was fun. It was cute and I enjoyed it a lot. Good job and I hope to see more from you :)

Taosym
Veteran

#4 Post by Taosym »

Fenrir34 wrote:Just got down playing this game. Not bad. I think the art is really beautiful and the backgrounds as well. They really fit into the story. Toko was a good laid back character and I liked how the relationship between her and Nadia grew. It was a short game, but fun as well. The story was good to and was well written, though there were a few mistakes. The only thing I'm a little divided about is the rock-n-roll in the story. Not saying that it was a bad part of the plot, but it felt a little strange having it in there. I thought that Toko trying to
find a place where she belongs and her relationship with Nadia
are the strongest points in the story. Also, I admit that the ending wasn't the best. If you're doing a sequel I can kind of understand it, but still, even cliff hangers need a sufficient ending.

Despite that part, the game was fun. It was cute and I enjoyed it a lot. Good job and I hope to see more from you :)
Thanks, though I understand that since I was unable to fully explore the characters in this game, I'm glad people like it. I'd liked to continue the story in a more regular medium soonish. It depends what people think of the story in the end.

Helianthus
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous, Ambre, HVNCML, Garden of Oblivion, Wounded by Words
Projects: Chronotopia, Khzi and the Cursed Stone
Organization: Träumendes Mädchen
Tumblr: TraumendesMadchen

#5 Post by Helianthus »

I just finished The Reject Demon: Toko. As expected, that was a fun short piece :) . A shame that we don’t get to read Nadia’s thoughs more often, I think it would have helped getting into their relationship. Otherwise, art and music are great and the final turn of events makes a cool pitch for an episodic saga. I mean, who doesn’t want more Rock’n’roll :lol: ?

Since Toko is more or less a little warm-up, do you mind if I share some extensive feedbacks about the technical aspects ? I know you didn’t have much time to create Toko but it might help you one way or another for your future releases.
GUI & Programming
  • -Before even beginning the game, I was very surprised to see you have a nice catchy tune but you didn’t show the Lupiesoft logo at that time. It’s not much but I think showing the logo would look neater than just a line of text.
    -I was also surprised by the fact that you created a GUI with black and red colours but keeped the blue RenPy default interface. Maybe you didn’t have the time to change the colours ?
Something I found a bit bothering is that there is hardly any transition in the game. Fading the screen and stopping the music at the very beginning (when you click on Start) and between every scene would make reading way smoother. It’s like reading a book without making pause, it becomes exhausting after a while, although the story is short.

Music
  • -As I said, the music is nice, but since most of the game is about comedy and romance, the slow and sad tracks that play during those scenes don’t match the atmosphere at all. It’s difficult to feel happy reading the story of Toko and Nadia while listening to Venetian Vine, for example.
    -Also, it may be only me but the saddest track of the soundtrack seems…hatched ? quivering ? I don’t know, I found it a bit strange. And doesn’t the main menu have always the same music ? I tried to quit when I heard the sad tune bugging and it was on the main menu as well until I closed the game.
Art
Concerning the art department, I only have a minor complains about the expressions : they don’t seem to change a lot. Once again, it’s not much, but making the expressions vary more often would smooth things over for the reader (I had a hard time understanding what the characters were feeling in some scenes, which was a bit distracting).
I hope I don’t look too fussy with all that said :oops: . I know you had little time to make the visual novel and I did like The Reject Demon: Toko, I was just thinking you might want to correct those things for Dizzy Heart.
By the way, good luck with the latter ! It looks like a huge project, must be difficult to handle ^_^.

Taosym
Veteran

#6 Post by Taosym »

Helianthus wrote:I just finished The Reject Demon: Toko. As expected, that was a fun short piece :) . A shame that we don’t get to read Nadia’s thoughs more often, I think it would have helped getting into their relationship. Otherwise, art and music are great and the final turn of events makes a cool pitch for an episodic saga. I mean, who doesn’t want more Rock’n’roll :lol: ?
Yes we were definitely aiming to improve stuff for Dizzy Hearts. There may also be an improved version of Toko with more CGs, but it will be relatively simple, nothing major. If the game is a success we definitely plan to continue!

restricted12345

#7 Post by restricted12345 »

This was pretty fun. My biggest complaint would have to be that while it was an entertaining prologue, it was still a prologue. Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to how you plan to continue the story.

Here are some minor complaints:
-Some scenes that seemed like they needed a CG, especially the fight scene near the end.
-The rock and roll aspect of demons felt a bit out of the left field. I know that it's part of the premise itself, but demons liking rock and roll should have been foreshadowed before the fight scene in some place other than an infodump. Maybe I missed something.
-The save screen looks a bit off.

Still, I have to say that you did a good job.

Taosym
Veteran

#8 Post by Taosym »

restricted12345 wrote:This was pretty fun. My biggest complaint would have to be that while it was an entertaining prologue, it was still a prologue. Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to how you plan to continue the story.

Here are some minor complaints:
-Some scenes that seemed like they needed a CG, especially the fight scene near the end.
-The rock and roll aspect of demons felt a bit out of the left field. I know that it's part of the premise itself, but demons liking rock and roll should have been foreshadowed before the fight scene in some place other than an infodump. Maybe I missed something.
-The save screen looks a bit off.

Still, I have to say that you did a good job.
Thanks. It wasn't very foreshadowed, like with Ginxhou earlier, I was going for surprise, but I understand. This is very much an introduction to the concept, and soon I would very much like to build on it.

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#9 Post by Razz »

Just completed it! I really loved the game, your art is some of the best around and the world building around hell was great. I think pellatrix was my favorite character.

Also i really liked the GUI text box. The text popped out but and wasn't ugly or distracting. :P

Taosym
Veteran

#10 Post by Taosym »

Razz wrote:Just completed it! I really loved the game, your art is some of the best around and the world building around hell was great. I think pellatrix was my favorite character.

Also i really liked the GUI text box. The text popped out but and wasn't ugly or distracting. :P
Thanks! I'm glad that even though Pellatrix's part is so short she was this memorable for people!

Chibichann
Regular

#11 Post by Chibichann »

wait do we need to buy the game......i want to play it.

Taosym
Veteran

#12 Post by Taosym »

Chibichann wrote:wait do we need to buy the game......i want to play it.
Please check out the page to my blog, it explains everything :)

Skarn
Regular

#13 Post by Skarn »

Game finished, time to review.

The art is great, with beautiful 16/9 graphics. The chara design is sexily oriented, but since most of the characters are demons, and some are actual lust demons, it is quite understandable.

The story is classic but good, and you can never have too much yuri. However, the rock 'n' roll part feels out of place. When you learn about it, you're in the middle of a story with absolutely no reference to rock music beforehand, and suddenly, it becomes a main plot point. I think just a drop or two of foreshadowing at the very beginning in the demon world could fix it.

My main complaint is the music. Perhaps it's my configuration (I'm on Linux and a "could not open codecs" error kept popping in my terminal window), but I found it to loop too frequently, and the main theme quickly became unnerving with its very short iteration. Even the rock music was not as punchy as I expected it to be. But again, perhaps it's just a problem on my side.

Taosym
Veteran

#14 Post by Taosym »

Skarn wrote:Game finished, time to review.

The art is great, with beautiful 16/9 graphics. The chara design is sexily oriented, but since most of the characters are demons, and some are actual lust demons, it is quite understandable.

The story is classic but good, and you can never have too much yuri. However, the rock 'n' roll part feels out of place. When you learn about it, you're in the middle of a story with absolutely no reference to rock music beforehand, and suddenly, it becomes a main plot point. I think just a drop or two of foreshadowing at the very beginning in the demon world could fix it.

My main complaint is the music. Perhaps it's my configuration (I'm on Linux and a "could not open codecs" error kept popping in my terminal window), but I found it to loop too frequently, and the main theme quickly became unnerving with its very short iteration. Even the rock music was not as punchy as I expected it to be. But again, perhaps it's just a problem on my side.
I understand, in retrospect I wanted Ginxhou to be there to help foreshadow that but that ended up being lost somewhere between writing and beta testing. Somehow we didn't quite have the right lines and scenes in the beginning we needed to. I wanted it to be a surprise and 'it changes everything' moment. But it came out of left field. That I agree with.

TanteDante

#15 Post by TanteDante »

I like the game, had fun playing it :)
The sprite art is really really beautiful :D
Only I wished for more artworks for the more emotional scenes... cause I loved the relationship between those two :)
Will there be a 2nd part?
I would like it a lot... something like a guitar hero or other rythm game perhaps?
But perhaps this would be to complicate to code :/