Ponderings of Time [Philosophical][KN]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mjshi
Regular
Completed: MazeSite01, Ponderings of Time

Ponderings of Time [Philosophical][KN]

#1 Post by mjshi »

Ponderings of Time

~1000 words

First VN \(^o^)/
Well, actually, a KN...

Anyway! Made in three hours flat since I decided that I wasn't going to be super ambitious and have this HUUUGE project
and never finish it, but instead have this tiny little project to start me off. The veterans were right, you know. It's a whole
lot easier to have a small project going than a big one. Especially if it's your first project.

Summary:
What is time? Does every choice you make drastically affect the world? Can you throw a watermelon from a table if
there's only apples in the fruit bowl? Will eating a banana cause you to die at age 15? (yes, the latter questions are
easily answered, but bear with me)
Ponderings of Time tries to explain what time is, discusses various theories of time, and attempts to tie it
all back together to relate to visual novels.
Trust me, it really isn't as boring as it sounds. And if you really are bored, then you've only wasted five minutes
since it's a quick project :D

Download:
http://skiesofamber.vnovel.com/ponderings-of-time - so I can keep track of downloads/views
or: Web version courtesy of Alte - [Original site]

Credits:
miriadna for clock image/wallpaper
clipartist for clock icon

Feedback greatly appreciated.
Last edited by mjshi on Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Lucid

Re: Ponderings of Time [Philosophical][KN]

#2 Post by Lucid »

I'm fascinated by time stuff like this and the whole multiple worlds theory and such, so this was interesting to me. I learned about some new things like fixed events and how insignificant events eventually merge back. There were some points where there was so much text in one paragraph at once that it overwhelmed me, but that was mostly my fault for spamming space to get all of that text on there for in the first place. I eventually let the text advance by itself and that worked out well. This was short, sweet, interesting, and I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for creating this :)

mjshi
Regular

#3 Post by mjshi »

Lucid wrote:Thanks for creating this :)
Thank you for giving this a try ^.^

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#4 Post by Ferdokki »

I saw the link for this on your sig at the bottom of your PM message, so I decided to check it out since you're helping with artwork for our project. ^^

I find the concepts of parallel and infinite dimensions pretty fascinating, and I've always wondered if our time affects these supposed dimensions, or if we're running on their time. o_0
In any case, I liked your KN for the most part. It was very philosophical, and you've clearly spent some time thinking about the concepts.

My only gripe would be that at times I felt like you were talking about "fate" instead of time. Your KN discussed how time is based on choices made and where those choices lead, etc, but I feel like that's more of a definition for fate. Fate is usually defined as a set destination/end path where one can end up, but they are allowed to choose the roads that lead them there. Some societies/cultures believe fate is not set, and the paths which a person travels on depend on their actions throughout the course of their life.
But yeah, that's my only criticism. Other than that, at times I felt the paragraphs got kinda lengthy, but that can be overlooked, since this is a philosophical KN after all. =)

mjshi
Regular

#5 Post by mjshi »

Ah, thanks for the reply, ferdokki ^.^

Well, for some reason I thought fate was the one you couldn't avoid? O.o Like destiny, having a set path that you can't change and whatnot? But yes, I understand what you mean by the 'fate' (?) thing. Choices don't exactly relate much to time, do they xD

I considered updating the title to "Ponderings of Time and Interdimensional Theory (for Dummies)" but "Ponderings of Time" seems to roll off the tongue better.

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#6 Post by Ferdokki »

Well, fate and destiny are often defined interchangeably. But yeah, the "true" definitions kinda just depend on how you depict your culture, I guess.
In my culture, we believe that you kinda decide your own fate. Certain events are inevitable, but others you can avoid by making the right decisions at the right time. At the same time, "fate" as referred to "Romeo and Juliet" seems to be defined as an event you inevitably come up against, nothing can change it.

But your thoughts weren't incorrect about fate and time, of course they can interact. =) Cuz, if you make a bad decision, your time will be shortened maybe? And if you make good decisions, hopefully your time is lengthened, but even that can't be assured.

And lol, yeah I think your current title is fine. ;)