Rhyme or Reason (Romantic Comedy)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

Rhyme or Reason (Romantic Comedy)

#1 Post by ludeshka »

I'm a terrible songwriter, but Karen is a wonderful friend.
I told her I had a week off work and that I would probably be spending it at home, sulking.
And she just said, "Come on over"
Like that."
She had only one warning to make: "In Winter, this place hibernates"
I told her her town was a butterfly, waiting for Summer to flutter her glittery wings.
She told me my poetry sucked.

Rhyme or Reason is a romantic comedy with six endings.
It started life as a NaNoReNo entry, but as you can see, it took me a while to finish it.

Art, Writing and Programming done by yours truly, Ludeshka.
Attachments
RhymeReason-1.0-all.zip
(73.83 MiB) Downloaded 9109 times

Sleipnir56
Veteran
Completed: Under the Sycamore Tree,Timeless-D Gray Man VN(NanoRenO 2014)
Projects: Chocolate Kiss
Organization: SleiphericWings

Re: Rhyme or Reason (Romantic Com

#2 Post by Sleipnir56 »

Played Hierofanía and loved it. Will try this one, and will tell you what I think :)

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#3 Post by Donmai »

Sorry for not posting my conclusions on your beta thread on time (I'm currently having a very hard time with a Biology book. No, I'm not a student, I am the book's illustrator, you know, drawing a lot of tiny organelles from eukaryotic cells all day long can drive a man crazy. :cry: ). Well, being a fan of your work, I could only find on the beta version some small problems other people kindly reported before me. Now, let's just continue enjoying your wonderful art and beautifully written story. :)
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#4 Post by fioricca »

OHHHMYGOD DOWNLOADING AT LIGHTNING SPEED I'm going to see if I can set aside some time for this game because HEAVY BREATHING

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#5 Post by Ran08 »

Woah, I totally loved Hierofania! Hahaha. Just finished downloading this~ Can't wait to play it!

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#6 Post by fioricca »

HHHHDSFJASHDFJH

THAT WAS SO GOOD I love your writing, I love your characters, I love the atmosphere and I love the music and the story and ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME ;_; I'm drowning in tears because I love everyone and I want to scoop them all up and take them home with me. I've only just finished Peter's route (lala, typical) but I love it so much already I think my heart is going to stop

um

I would have loved to know more about Peter omg. How he got into his accident, and why he wasn't able to decide about pursuing music or not. There are still so many more mysteries *o*";;

The designs and colours and aesthetics are amazing as always and I just love your world so much.

This was a beautiful VN with a beautiful story and really amazing characters. Thanks for making it and congrats on an amazing release! It was SO worth the wait!

EDIT; AND THEN I GOT THE OTHER ENDINGS omg Nancy is such a cool little devil. I love how Rhyme got to play in her ending (only in her ending!! SO PICKY ABOUT GUITARISTS.), that was a really great moment and I was happy for Rhyme. I really wonder what her real name is now!

ludeshka
Veteran

#7 Post by ludeshka »

Sleipnir56 wrote:Played Hierofanía and loved it. Will try this one, and will tell you what I think :)
Ran08 wrote:Woah, I totally loved Hierofania! Hahaha. Just finished downloading this~ Can't wait to play it!
I...I really hope you won't play this game expecting it to be like Hierofanía because it's...um....different?
This was a short story intended for a Nanoreno project, while Hierofanía is something I poured a loooot of time into...(like what I'm doing for hierofanía 2, which will be out...eventually.)

I hope you can still enjoy it, even if it's different, and lighter.
fioricca wrote:HHHHDSFJASHDFJH
um

I would have loved to know more about Peter omg. How he got into his accident, and why he wasn't able to decide about pursuing music or not. There are still so many more mysteries *o*";;
I originally wrote an ending where you pried into Peter's past and he got REALLY ANGRY.

"I'm not the story of a scar" he said, dramatically.

I edited it out, though.

Also, fioricca and donmai, too, thank you for your nice words! I get a bit embarrased when I'm praised, and, I don't know what to say, but, THANKS! Thanks for playing, and for telling me you enjoyed it. <3

Sleipnir56
Veteran
Completed: Under the Sycamore Tree,Timeless-D Gray Man VN(NanoRenO 2014)
Projects: Chocolate Kiss
Organization: SleiphericWings

#8 Post by Sleipnir56 »

Don't worry. I didn't go into this thinking that it was going to be like Hierofanía. I knew it would be different. Anyway, just got done playing the game and here our my thoughts

Plot-The plot was simple yet very relaxing. I thought you did a good job with it to and the slice-of-life in it was well done. Made me kind of feel like I was actually in the story as well :). It was nice to see something that could make me calm

Character-I liked all the character a lot. Karen was a good friends, and Nacy was that awesome rocker that I've kind of wanted to know in my life. Peter was great too, and I like how he was a thinker and expressed his opinion. My only thing is I wish the others had some more character depth like Peter did. I actually thought his path was the main part of the game, while Nacy was a spare path. Still enjoyed both of them though :) .
Do wish that Karen had a small path. That might be because she's my fav character :)

Writing-The writing was well done. It was a fun read, and I enjoyed reading Rhyme's thoughts. There were some errors though, but nothing really big, so good job on that to :) .

Music-The music was wonderful in this game. It made me really happy for some reason, I i kind of want to download that guitar song that was playing. Very soothing to, Did a good job picking it out

Art-Like with Hierofanía, I like the art because it's new. The backgrounds were nicely drawn, and the characters looked lively as well. Very unique, and that works for these games very well.

Other thoughts-Overall I really liked this game. It was fun, and refreshing. I do wish the romance was just a bit more put to gether, like in Nacy's path for example. Kind of felt that it just happened, but it was still a cute scene. Anyway, really glad you shared this and am excited for Hierofanía 2 and any other games you make. Good luck and good job :mrgreen:

Hachiko
Regular

#9 Post by Hachiko »

HOLY COW I was just looking at the first screenshot and the girl on the right got me thinking how "creepy" she looked but then I realized it shouldn't be a horror game then I looked at your name and - maker of Hierofania! :lol:

So excited to try this out!! :D

ludeshka
Veteran

#10 Post by ludeshka »

Hi, Hachiko. Thank you for trying the game out!

(So, it appears my reputation precedes me? Kind of? If something looks scary when it shouldn't then it's mine? :D )

Oh, and hey, everyone!
I started a poll on my deviantart account to know which character/relationship was the one the players liked best.
If you have a DA and feel like it, drop by and vote?

http://ludeshka.deviantart.com/journal/poll/4553095/

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#11 Post by ririruetoo »

Very cute! Although I've only gotten through Peter's route so far, I have to say that it was very enjoyable. The ending made me giddy with happiness. All in all, it was a short but very fun game to play. I'm eagerly looking forward to your future projects!!
ImageImageImage

Dawnfire
Regular

#12 Post by Dawnfire »

What a cute game! I love the unique art style and I love that the characters have such flawed but charming personalities. The dialogue was very natural, too. The only thing I didn't quite get (though I didn't get ending 3) is why Candles was in the game... But overall, wonderful job!
Writer/editor with native English skills and a bachelor's. Back after a longtime hiatus. Message if interested.

Ishvke

#13 Post by Ishvke »

I've been obsessed with you & your work since Hierofania days,
so I was definitely excited to see this. <3
Fun game, and super pretty music!
Peter is bae.
Actually, all your characters are baes.
Just Peter is especially awesome.
His smiling face kind of really reminds me of someone I used to have a tiny tiny crush on god damn
Ughhhh I love your art lol. It's absolutely gorgeous.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#14 Post by KittyKatStar »

Aaah, I loved Hierofania, and glad to see the wit I enjoyed carried over to this VN too. <3
Love the art style as well.

I enjoyed the natural dialogue and characters, they all seem like people you'd know in person. Thanks so much for creating this unique and cute game.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#15 Post by Ran08 »

ludeshka wrote: I...I really hope you won't play this game expecting it to be like Hierofanía because it's...um....different?
This was a short story intended for a Nanoreno project, while Hierofanía is something I poured a loooot of time into...(like what I'm doing for hierofanía 2, which will be out...eventually.)

I hope you can still enjoy it, even if it's different, and lighter.
Oh my gosh, there's a Hierofania 2?! Ahhhh! I can't wait!

Oops, I'm sorry, haha. Don't worry, I wasn't expecting it to be like Hierofania. :) Though Hierofania was just... so beautiful. :o Haha. It's just that, since you're also the writer for this one, then I'm kinda expecting the same quality as before. :) It's not that I'm comparing it to your old game or anything. Hahaha. Brilliant writers are brilliant no matter what differences their works have anyway. :D

And oooooh, I've already downloaded this, but I still haven't played it. Argh, forgive me and my busy schedules... T___T

EDIT: I actually finished this a few days ago and... awww, I loved it! Haha. I got 4 endings, but my favorite is number 6. :3 This game is so totally adorable, haha. Will you make a RoR 2? Please do! Waaaaah~

Anyway... longer thoughts on this game here~

(I plugged my own blog... ahh, I'm sorry for plugging... haha.)