Lily of the Valley [tragedy]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

Lily of the Valley [tragedy]

#1 Post by ebi-hime »

Download:
Lily of the Valley is a remake of one of my old VNs from 2014.
It is commercial and costs $2.99.
It can be downloaded on Steam or itch.io!

Synopsis:
“Hey, Mister... Are you a lonely person?”

When his mother dies, our protagonist returns home to Wales for the first time in ten years to attend her funeral.
Then, on a walk in the countryside, he encounters a mysterious young girl.
Though her face is expressionless and her words are cold, the man soon forms a friendship with her… of sorts.
However, their meetings only leave him with more questions.
How did she know his mother?
Why does she have such a morbid fascination with death?
And why does she look so much like his childhood sweetheart?
But only one thing is certain: there is much more to Lily than meets the eye.

Screenshots:

Information:
Last edited by ebi-hime on Fri May 05, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

Re: Lily of the Valley

#2 Post by ludeshka »

I've seen a bit of your work on tumblr, and I'm intrigued.
Is this a kinetic novel, though? Could you tell us if there's more than one ending? :)

ebi-hime
Veteran

#3 Post by ebi-hime »

ludeshka wrote:I've seen a bit of your work on tumblr, and I'm intrigued.
Is this a kinetic novel, though? Could you tell us if there's more than one ending? :)
Ehehe, I know. I have been following your tumblr blog too >w<
There is a grand total of one choice, right at the very end, which splits into two different endings. But you need to get both ends up unlock the extra on the main menu.
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#4 Post by Laniessa »

Just finished this last night! I found myself hoping that there was an auto-button, but I couldn't seem to find it. Sometimes the dialogue confused me, in the sense of who was saying what, but it was clear enough!

Overall, though, I quite enjoyed it! I liked the music quite a lot, too. (If I'm going to be honest, the ending surprised me a lot, haha.)

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by philip »

Just downloaded this story and played through it. The story resonated with me almost immediately; brought back memories of my mother's funeral, presided over by a junior reverend, who didn't know her, had never met her, and went on and on about how wonderful she was, all the while calling her by the wrong name. I remember how upset I was at that time, but apparently that sort of thing happens quite often to others, as well.

The story was quite interesting, if ultimately gloomy; I did not see the eventual end coming until I was almost at the end of the story. Well done, although I would have been much happier, if in the end it had turned out to be all peaches and cream. That's not a criticism of your story, just an expression of my persona.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

ebi-hime
Veteran

#6 Post by ebi-hime »

Laniessa wrote:Just finished this last night! I found myself hoping that there was an auto-button, but I couldn't seem to find it. Sometimes the dialogue confused me, in the sense of who was saying what, but it was clear enough!

Overall, though, I quite enjoyed it! I liked the music quite a lot, too. (If I'm going to be honest, the ending surprised me a lot, haha.)
Ah, I'm sorry! Whilst fiddling around with the GUI, I completely neglected to put in the auto button... And I'm not even sure if it has an option to properly skip through the text, either... It's an especially odd oversight, since I usually read VNs with the auto option on, because I find constantly clicking through text to be a pain.
It was hard trying to write without using the typical character tags that are usually found in VNs, and doing everything NVL as opposed to ADV... I'm glad it wasn't too confusing! n_n
philip wrote:Just downloaded this story and played through it. The story resonated with me almost immediately; brought back memories of my mother's funeral, presided over by a junior reverend, who didn't know her, had never met her, and went on and on about how wonderful she was, all the while calling her by the wrong name. I remember how upset I was at that time, but apparently that sort of thing happens quite often to others, as well.

The story was quite interesting, if ultimately gloomy; I did not see the eventual end coming until I was almost at the end of the story. Well done, although I would have been much happier, if in the end it had turned out to be all peaches and cream. That's not a criticism of your story, just an expression of my persona.
I had similar experiences with my great uncle's funeral, too. The priest kept getting his name wrong, all the time, and he'd also obviously never met him before and didn't know anything about him. My family got pretty upset about it. I imagine it's not that uncommon...
From the start of writing it, I thought I wanted to make a very gloomy story - not necesarily one that would upset people or make them cry, but one that would feel very hollow and empty. Most of the stories I write usually tend to be very silly and cheerful, with lots of anime-eque characters and dumb jokes, so I wanted to try and write something more downbeat. The fact I am good friends with some very, very angst-ridden and mentally unstable people, who talk to me quite a lot, for very long periods of time, about how awful they feel, was quite a big inspiration for this as well.

Baldarhion

#7 Post by Baldarhion »

Simply one of the brillant-est VN i ever read. Kudos to you sincerely !
And I'm thinking it's not as depressing as you said... Even the contrary. Sad, yes, but so full of hope and tenderness (really :p). And the strong point in your writing is there is no judgement at all. You managed to explode a very old myth in a so nice way. Really, great job pal !
I think that there is a lot of material to meditate in your VN. That's what make good writers.
Can't wait to read your next production !
I think we all had similar experience in funerals... Thats's why when sadly a funeral occurs you have to discuss with the priest/imam/whatever before the ceremony. I encountered too many funerals in my life, but heh, you know, customizing a funeral ceremony can bring a lot to the living ones and family, and it's easy to do.... and it avoids so many odd and weird ceremonies...
cd /
sudo rm -rf *
Problem solved !

ebi-hime
Veteran

#8 Post by ebi-hime »

Baldarhion wrote:Simply one of the brillant-est VN i ever read. Kudos to you sincerely !
And I'm thinking it's not as depressing as you said... Even the contrary. Sad, yes, but so full of hope and tenderness (really :p). And the strong point in your writing is there is no judgement at all. You managed to explode a very old myth in a so nice way. Really, great job pal !
I think that there is a lot of material to meditate in your VN. That's what make good writers.
Can't wait to read your next production !
I think we all had similar experience in funerals... Thats's why when sadly a funeral occurs you have to discuss with the priest/imam/whatever before the ceremony. I encountered too many funerals in my life, but heh, you know, customizing a funeral ceremony can bring a lot to the living ones and family, and it's easy to do.... and it avoids so many odd and weird ceremonies...
Aaw, thank you! I am glad you thought so highly of it o///o
I try to write characters in a fairly non-judgemental way, I guess... Mostly, I hope their personalities come across well enough in writing that the readers will be able to judge them for themselves. I don't really like reading stuff where you're blatantly told how to feel about characters, either - it makes everything less fun for the reader...
I have only been a few funerals in life, and a few of them I don't even remember, since I was too little. Maybe since I'm not quiite as old as the narrator of this VN, aha XD

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#9 Post by Lesleigh63 »

This is very well written. I felt I really got to know the main character. There was some real depth to him which I appreciated - something I could get absorbed in. Lily wasn't who I thought she'd be - so that was good.

I didn't feel the art added much here. What I'd like to see a visual novel be is more than the art alone and more than the story alone with those two combining (along with the music) to create something quite unique (if that makes sense). I don't think you were able to find the art to do that here. I know you have other projects where the art was made for the story, so I intend to check them out.

I missed the 'auto' play feature.

Thanks for making the game, I enjoyed it.

ebi-hime
Veteran

#10 Post by ebi-hime »

Lesleigh63 wrote:This is very well written. I felt I really got to know the main character. There was some real depth to him which I appreciated - something I could get absorbed in. Lily wasn't who I thought she'd be - so that was good.

I didn't feel the art added much here. What I'd like to see a visual novel be is more than the art alone and more than the story alone with those two combining (along with the music) to create something quite unique (if that makes sense). I don't think you were able to find the art to do that here. I know you have other projects where the art was made for the story, so I intend to check them out.

I missed the 'auto' play feature.

Thanks for making the game, I enjoyed it.
Thank you, I am glad you liked it! Maybe the main character seems more fleshed out than some of the other leads I have written because they were pretty explicitly based on a real person I know, as opposed to a bunch of anime/manga tropes, which what I usually fashion my characters around...

In this VN, I made a very conscious effort to try and write something 'not Japanese-ish' - so I deliberately set it away from Japan, made the main male lead older than most male leads, and tried to avoid Japanese-centered humour (so no references to anime or manga) And I tried hard to include more description of the surroundings, and of people's appearances, instead of just having dialogue exchanges all the time - which is how I usually write VNs (and how a lot of VNs are usually written, I think!) So this might be why the story doesn't really mesh well with the visual novel format, since the style of it is written more in the style of a typical short story? And the sprite art is quite anime-ish, though the story isn't (but I really like this style of art, I think it's really cute XD But maybe 'cute' doesn't work too well in this case...)

I should have included an auto play feature somewhere. Maybe I will update the VN (I have some typos a friend made a note of, that I still haven't fixed yet...) and put the auto play feature back, to make reading easier for people.

Thank you for reading it, I am glad you liked it n_n;
I apologise for my very long reply, ahaha XDD

ColaCat
Veteran

Re: Lily of the Valley [tragedy]

#11 Post by ColaCat »

I thought it was good, but one thing kept crossing my mind
how did she actually kill him?Because it said about how he was in the bath, having died of an overdose - yet I don't understand how she made that happen. Did she make him kill himself? That part got me confused.
Other than that, it was good! (If not gloomy)

ebi-hime
Veteran

#12 Post by ebi-hime »

ColaCat wrote:I thought it was good, but one thing kept crossing my mind
how did she actually kill him?Because it said about how he was in the bath, having died of an overdose - yet I don't understand how she made that happen. Did she make him kill himself? That part got me confused.
Other than that, it was good! (If not gloomy)
The ending
is deliberately very open-ended. You can either assume that a) Lily is a grim reaper, and she killed him in a manner to make it look like suicide with her magical grim repear powers (kind of like in Death Note, where Light can specify how he wants people to die, I guess XD) or b) Lily was not real, most of the story is just unreliable narration born from the narrator being lonely and wanting somebody to talk to (which is why Lily looks so much like a girl he had a crush on when he was younger), and then he killed himself when everything became too overwhelming. You can believe either one you want, I think they're both possible!
I am glad you liked it, despite the gloominess XD

ColaCat
Veteran

#13 Post by ColaCat »

Ah, thanks! That helps explain a lot!