Aloners [GxB] (a post-apocalyptic romance)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
sonnet009
Regular
Completed: Rei, Aloners
Projects: Wilder
Organization: sonnet009 games
Tumblr: sonnet009

Re: Aloners [GxB] (a post-apocalyptic romance)

#121 Post by sonnet009 »

zokushi wrote:So amazing! I've read MANY visual novels and this was by far one of the best. I don't see a need to play it over and over again for the "right" answers just because when I played it I was actually able to play as "myself"! My options and responses were how I would have reacted given the chance and that in itself was incredibly satisfying.

Thank you so much for this story. I hope you continue to write more, you have a true talent :)
Aw, thanks so much! I wanted to create a visual novel that you could roleplay your way through without constantly worrying that you might've picked a wrong answer that will lock you out of the best ending -- since that's the kind of interactive story I enjoy playing.

Thanks for playing and commenting. :-)

Rei - a supernatural high school romance (COMPLETE)
Aloners - a post-apocalyptic romance (COMPLETE)
Wilder - a forbidden fantasy romance (2017/2018)

Follow me on tumblr at sonnet009 or sonnet009games for updates.

laertid

#122 Post by laertid »

Remembered my old login\password just to comment on this %) I'm a dedicated VN player, and I was really happy to find this game. It's amazing, with good humor and an interesting story, and I absolutely loved Trash. I've read your novel "Rei" too, and what can I say - if you are able to create such great games with only one romanceable character, I'm totally waiting for your talent going wild in a game with more characters! Thank you for your wonderful VNs.

Lyalicia

#123 Post by Lyalicia »

Oh my. I'm in love with Trash. *O*

Adriana

#124 Post by Adriana »

:) I loved this game!!!! Trash was a wonderful character! Sometimes I feel weird when romantic things happen in a story because I think it's either too soon or I just haven't really come to like the man (or woman) these romantic actions are happening with, but I loved it when trash and Adriana (I named the main character after myself lol) had any sort of cute interaction. It always made sense and made me giggle at the cuteness! I just wanted you to know how much I enjoyed this game! :D

Cakey
Regular
Deviantart: Ilsaaaaa

#125 Post by Cakey »

Oh my! It is the best visual novel otome game I ever played. I Want another one... :D

sonnet009
Regular

#126 Post by sonnet009 »

laertid wrote:Remembered my old login\password just to comment on this %) I'm a dedicated VN player, and I was really happy to find this game. It's amazing, with good humor and an interesting story, and I absolutely loved Trash. I've read your novel "Rei" too, and what can I say - if you are able to create such great games with only one romanceable character, I'm totally waiting for your talent going wild in a game with more characters! Thank you for your wonderful VNs.
Thank you! I'm now taking the plunge into a game with multiple romanceable characters, so I'll take this comment as a vote of confidence. :-D
Lyalicia wrote:Oh my. I'm in love with Trash. *O*
Haha! Aw, I'm sure he's in love with you, too. ;-)
Adriana wrote::) I loved this game!!!! Trash was a wonderful character! Sometimes I feel weird when romantic things happen in a story because I think it's either too soon or I just haven't really come to like the man (or woman) these romantic actions are happening with, but I loved it when trash and Adriana (I named the main character after myself lol) had any sort of cute interaction. It always made sense and made me giggle at the cuteness! I just wanted you to know how much I enjoyed this game! :D
I'm so glad you enjoyed the love story between Trash and Adriana. :-) I tried to give it a believable pace.
Cakey wrote:Oh my! It is the best visual novel otome game I ever played. I Want another one... :D
Wow, thanks! And I'm workin' on it...

StrawberryBlitz

#127 Post by StrawberryBlitz »

Wow!
I am absolutely loving this game so far. Holy shit... my feels...there are so many of them... >>
I'm going to post again when I finish it, but I just couldn't want any longer to tell you how much I'm loving this experience. I just hit The Creeping Truth and I know shit's about to go down.
Gahhhh! XO

Kumiho
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day

#128 Post by Kumiho »

This was so, so good.
It is rare that I manage to read a VN of this length from start to finish
without growing bored or annoyed with one thing or another,
but with Aloners, I was fully immersed throughout.

I got the happy ending first,
and I'm still not quite dedicated enough to get the bad? ending yet,
since I want to bask in the ~feels~ of the good end for a while more.

I genuinely liked both Trash and the MC,
and your characterization of Trash just made me so happy<3.
The abundance of choices made the character a lot more relatable,
and it was nice how, to a large extent,
the personality of the MC shaped by the choices was just that—
the MC's personality—
as opposed to a tool that determined the ending.

The twists were presented in a believable way, too,
with many of them foreshadowed, however subtly.
Subtle foreshadowing is the best foreshadowing.

I will add that I loved Gamma,
although I do feel like there was an opportunity for further character development near the ending.
He was a coward, yes, and he was selfish,
but those traits are essentially human,
and I loved that he wasn't portrayed as a clear-cut antagonist,
but rather someone you could empathize with.
Finally, I'll just end with this comment:
the music & the artwork were both perfect♥

Jadeitea

#129 Post by Jadeitea »

Okay, I have to say that I very rarely comment here (I'm a lurker, you can tell by the number of posts), but I had to tell you how AMAZING your game is and of the amount of feels it left me with (it's the morning after and I still have trouble concentrating on anything).

I'm totally late to the bandwagon; I saw Aloners quite some time ago, but I didn't get around to playing it until last night. I would like to tell you everything, but I'm afraid it'll come out as incoherent rambling, I don't even know where to start, there were so many things that I loved about this game. Well, here goes:

First of all, the story itself, and the writing, was exceptionally good. (Not that I'm much of an expert, English being my second language and all). It set the atmosphere really well, it wasn't scarce, and it certainly wasn't overabundant and boring (I never skip parts of a VN, but sometimes I sorta skim through the less interesting stuff, and I never had to resort to it here, thank goodness). The game is ridiculously long (in a good way), especially for a free one, and it helps with the pacing: the relationship development feels so natural, and that feeling of the stakes rising higher and higher as we progress (something someone's already commented on) made my guts twist.
I, like many people, was afraid at one point that Trash surviving the red cloud and not being able to finish his sentences afterwards was a sign of him turning into a mutie, but since the PC didn't even consider it a possibility, I decided it was a red herring.

The whole part when they get to the military base was the worst (by which I mean the best) in terms of the feeling of uneasiness and dread. I already don't trust soldiers much (too many action movies where they try to force the main characters into helping them with some kind of total annihilation weapon, I guess), so it wasn't even necessary for them to turn out to be bandits, my trust level was pretty low and wasn't going to change unless something ludicrously improbable happened, which it didn't. That, and I was head over heels in love with Trash at that point.
Let's talk about Trash for a minute. The adorable, gorgeous, sassy hunk of a man. He truly felt like a real person, almost tangible. I'm afraid to even try to get a bad ending, because I don't want anything bad to happen to him (or the PC, but above all, him). He had his flaws, but that's what made him more flesh than... pixels? The change in his behavior towards me, his gradual opening up, all of it was so endearing, how could I ever be rude to him? Sneaky little mongrel totally won my heart.
The 'cabin fever' scene... hah. I'm pretty sure my heart did a sommersault when Trash spoke about the things he looked for in a girl while looking at me (and another one when they finally kissed!). No fair, why did it have to be only one Truth or Dare question, I wanted to ask him EVERYTHING.

And then, the shed. Oh my GOD, it was perfect (and believable, too - I mean, the sex scene didn't feel like a fanservice insert, it really made sense for them to lose themselves in passion right after having found each other when they thought the other was a goner).

Finally, the big betrayal... I can honestly say this was a no-brainer for me, for reasons I mentioned above (not trusting the military in general), and also because in the time I spent with Trash, I could see enough of his character to know that he wasn't a bad person (then again, I'm hopelessly trustful of anyone that isn't a soldier, a lawyer or a dentist). Also, I've seen a lot of movies where one of the characters is using the other for their own purposes at first and then ends up falling for them, I know it's a bit overused, but I don't care, I love this kind of story.
I also wanted to mention that the art is great, and it really adds to the experience.

Lastly, the little choices the PC had to make regarding conversation options... I kept thinking I could screw something up by being too rude, and I try to be a pretty nice person in real life too, so I played it on the safe side, but it was the first game where I had so much control over how a character can behave. It took some time to get used to it, but ultimately it was a very rewarding experience. While I don't have anything against pre-defined character personalities, sometimes I cringe inwardly when they say something I definitely wouldn't, and here I could escape that. I know it must have been a hell lot of work storytelling- and programming-wise, and I thank you for giving us players this opportunity.

(On a side note, I played Rei a couple of months ago, and despite it being kind of short, I really liked it, too. You've got a real talent for stories, and I will be waiting for the next one to come out!)

I'm sorry if any of this turns out to be chaotic and incomprehensible babbling, I'm not in the mood to proof-read such a long post. Sorry. ^^'

ETA an afterthought spoiler for both Rei and Aloners:
Now that I think about it, getting to the best ending in both games is possible by doing something reckless to save the person you have feelings for. Action gals, unite!

Marialena-chan
Tumblr: MarialenaChan
Deviantart: Marialenachan

#130 Post by Marialena-chan »

OMG!This game is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.I love it!..A lot lel.I just can't. *fangirls* ~(`^`~)

Undine

#131 Post by Undine »

Writing, plot, world-building, and dynamic characters all in game! Thank you so much for sharing Aloners with the rest of us.

In case you're curious, I found this game on http://www.englishotomegames.net/post/1 ... 76/aloners and the comments were what initially drew me in. :)

h-honey
Projects: Pandora's Box [BxB]

#132 Post by h-honey »

I have never come across a better developed character than Trash. (I daydream about him lots. <3)

It's also pretty rare that I feel like I am the protagonist -- I always feel like an outsider to the story because of a very limited MC personality, with little to no depth. With this, however, everything felt so real! I can't even count how many times I smiled while playing this, so thank you for making this wonderful VN, and please continue to make more and more.

sonnet009
Regular

#133 Post by sonnet009 »

StrawberryBlitz wrote:Wow!
I am absolutely loving this game so far. Holy shit... my feels...there are so many of them... >>
I'm going to post again when I finish it, but I just couldn't want any longer to tell you how much I'm loving this experience. I just hit The Creeping Truth and I know shit's about to go down.
Gahhhh! XO
Ahaha, well, since I'm so late in responding to this, I'll take it that you got past The Creeping Truth. I hope it was sufficiently WTF for you!
Kumiho wrote:This was so, so good.
It is rare that I manage to read a VN of this length from start to finish
without growing bored or annoyed with one thing or another,
but with Aloners, I was fully immersed throughout.
[CUT]
It's the quite the compliment that Aloners managed to hold your attention all the way through. :-) Thank you!
And I would agree with you that Gamma had potential that was never fully explored, but I kinda like that about him. Like, he could almost be a good man, but he hesitates too long and then he has no time left. I was going for a pretty tragic character with him.
Jadeitea wrote:Okay, I have to say that I very rarely comment here (I'm a lurker, you can tell by the number of posts), but I had to tell you how AMAZING your game is and of the amount of feels it left me with (it's the morning after and I still have trouble concentrating on anything).
[CUT]
Aww, thank you for delurking for me! :-) And for being so detailed with your thoughts! I loved reading through them.
And, you know, I'm exactly the same when it comes to these kind of betrayal stories. It's true that it's a common trope, but I just love it so much! (Well, obviously.)
Marialena-chan wrote:OMG!This game is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.I love it!..A lot lel.I just can't. *fangirls* ~(`^`~)
:-D Awwww! Thank you!
Undine wrote:Writing, plot, world-building, and dynamic characters all in game! Thank you so much for sharing Aloners with the rest of us.

In case you're curious, I found this game on http://www.englishotomegames.net/post/1 ... 76/aloners and the comments were what initially drew me in. :)
Thank you for taking the time to share what you thought! And, you know, I am really humbled by the lovely things people have written about Aloners in those comments. You guys are all way too kind. :-)
h-honey wrote:I have never come across a better developed character than Trash. (I daydream about him lots. <3)

It's also pretty rare that I feel like I am the protagonist -- I always feel like an outsider to the story because of a very limited MC personality, with little to no depth. With this, however, everything felt so real! I can't even count how many times I smiled while playing this, so thank you for making this wonderful VN, and please continue to make more and more.
heh. Well, Trash would be pleased as punch to know that he was being daydreamed about, I'm sure!

I'm really glad you enjoyed Aloners. :-) Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know.

InvisibleKhat

#134 Post by InvisibleKhat »

This was so beautiful! I downloaded it last night on a whim and played the whole thing in one sitting, I can't believe you were able to do so much with just two people in a wasteland. Maybe it's easier for me to get invested in a romance now that I'm a bit older, but the relationship between Trash and my MC, Rain, just felt so real <3. He's is one of those characters that's always going to stick around in the back of my mind now, thanks for that!
Also, the atmosphere in the military base was perfect, I think the faceless sprites added a lot to it. Being locked in the basement with Trash made me realize it didn't matter if we were wandering the desert or stuck in a cell, we just had to do our best to appreciate living until things got better - who said video games can't teach you anything.

nekomakino
Regular
Tumblr: otomeflag
Deviantart: nekomakino
itch: otomeflag

#135 Post by nekomakino »

Nice game! It had me on the edge with each chapter! And I actually managed to finish it in one go : D! the story is really inmersive and interesting, keeps you close to the screen the whole time! GOOD JOB!!! Also the fact that the only complete sprite is Trash's one, makes it all the better! Faceless characters add so much tension and trying to imagine how they would look its facinating! :D!

:) Out of all the games I've tried with the ren`py engine, I think Aloners is by far one of my favorites ;)~

Thanks for the good story n_n!