Fairly Dangerous [Dark Comedy][NaNoReno2015]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

Fairly Dangerous [Dark Comedy][NaNoReno2015]

#1 Post by kaleidofish »

Fairly Dangerous

We've seen it before: human gets put in a new fantasy environment and the natural world helps enlighten him to the harshness of an industry. Fern Gully and Avatar, I'm looking at you.

But what happens when the opposite takes place? Five tiny fairy friends are about to find out. Hiding in a hiker's backpack, they get taken away from the Enchanted Forest they call home and taken to a rank apartment. Now they have to avoid hazards like microwaves, rat traps, and more. Can you make it out of this fairly dangerous place alive?

This is a dark comedy visual novel with horror and tragicomedy elements. This is not for the squeamish.

----

Screenshots:

----

Features:

21k words
16 Endings
Cruel Deaths
Many Ways to Die, Few Ways to Survive
Pretty Fairies
The Return of Most of the Folks Who Brought You The Mishka Effect Last Year!

----

Team:

Lead Writer & Director: kaleidofish

Production & Quality Assurance: Thestral

GUI Artist: Duskylli

Editor & Concept Development: kaenSe4

Sprite & Background Artist: Tilly

Full credits are included in the game.

----

Walkthrough:

Here!

----

Downloads:

Download for Windows, Linux, Mac on itch.io!!!

Or on Game Jolt!

HTML5 Version on Sandbox Adventure!

Script.rpy replacement for missing conversation (optional) [Mediafire link]. Download this and replace the old script.rpy with this one. Otherwise, wait for v1.1 where a fixed script will be included. :D
Last edited by kaleidofish on Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

smallstar
Projects: birdie, catch me

Re: Fairly Dangerous [Dark Comedy][NaNoReno2015]

#2 Post by smallstar »

yess i'm downloading it rn, tilly's art is <3 congrats for finishing guys!!

tilly
Completed: fairly dangerous

#3 Post by tilly »

this was my first finished vn and i'm so happy to have worked on this with such an awesome team. it's so exciting to see the final product!!!! everyone worked so hard and did so well, i'm proud of all of us!!! yay!

and aww, thank you jun <3333 xoxox

KaenSe4
Regular
Completed: Good Morning Triss (2019), Palette Swap (Nano 16), Fairly Dangerous (Nano 15)
itch: kaense4.itch.io

#4 Post by KaenSe4 »

Yay, completion :D Look out for version 1.1 coming out after we get the some of the addition features tweaked!

*This is not a shameless self-bump*

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)

#5 Post by kaleidofish »

Android users: now you can take Fairly Dangerous with you wherever you go! And if itch.io doesn't work for you, we've also got a mirror on Game Jolt. Please note that there is an error on the Android version. The "Help" button on the main menu doesn't work the way it should. This will be fixed in its next version.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

#6 Post by Heiden »

Congratulations on finishing!!

I had a lot of fun playing this and seeing all the different gruesome ways I could kill off my friends, haha!

I was able to get a handful of endings, but I was wondering
is there an ending where everyone survives? In addition to this, I was never able to get an ending for Lav where she wasn't devoured by the rat. I felt like I was always answering her questions wrong to not let me get an alternative ending for her.
Any tips? :D
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

Catlip Candy
Regular
Completed: Raven // Encanto
Projects: My Twisted Love Story (title susceptible to change)
Organization: Catlip Candy
Tumblr: catlipcandy
Deviantart: CatlipCandy
Soundcloud: Catlip Candy
itch: catlipcandy

#7 Post by Catlip Candy »

Hi! The art really is <3 ! I love it! Yep I enjoyed the bad endings :twisted: I want to see more. Is there a walkthrough for this? 16 endings, that's a lot! I really hope there's a walkthrough. I find Saffron the prettiest...
And I hate to shove her into that bottle... :cry:
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!
Please help me become a better visual novel creator!

~~~~~~ Catlip Candy ~~~~~~~

tilly

#8 Post by tilly »

@Heiden: thank you!! we had a lot of fun making it! :D
and no, there is no ending where all of your friends can live-- berry will always die no matter what! poor girl :( but you can get saffron, pistacia, mentha, and lav home safely!! to get lav home safely, you have to indulge her random questions about the rat. i wasn't involved with the coding so i can't tell you exactly what works, but during my playthrough, "they both tend to disappear" > "with a trap"/"questionable garments" was what got me there. k-fish could probably answer this better, sorry! but yeah, that's how you keep lav alive!
@Fake Existence: thanks a bunch!! <3 i don't know about a walkthrough, that sounds cool though?? gotta defer to my other team members on that one though! and i'm glad you think saffron is the prettiest! the fairies were actually based on the group dynamics of "brains, brawn, beauty, wildcard, and the useless chick". and saffron was the beauty!! :D (gold star for whoever guesses the rest!)

additionally!!! happy birthday to the one and only kaleidofish! i drew something for her and i figured i'd share it here since it's relevant!

idkwhatusername

#9 Post by idkwhatusername »

Is there some sort of guide for getting all the endings? I can only get 10 out of the 16
strength
style
strangeness
strength/style
strength/strangeness
style/strangeness
strength/style/strangeness
solo survival
bug light
slammed

so that's every possible combination of friend survival plus two total death endings... what more are there?

kaleidofish
Veteran

#10 Post by kaleidofish »

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone! Glad you guys had fun. Making this was a joy and a half.

@tilly:

*SCREAMS AGAIN*

@Heiden:
Tilly pretty much answered this. There's a couple of ways to answer the quiz so she lives. Tilly's method is one of the ones that works.
@Fake Existence & idkwhatusername:

I just posted a walkthrough here on my site. Hope that helps! :D

For anyone who only wants to see a list of endings...
Zapped (2 different versions)
Orb (3 different versions)
C'mon and Slam (3 different versions)
Survived with Smarts Only
Survived with Strength
Survived with Style
Survived with Strength and Style
Strangely Returned to the Enchanted Forest
Strangely & Strongly Returned to the Enchanted Forest
Strangely & Stylishly Returned to the Enchanted Forest
Every Way but Sweetly Returned to the Enchanted Forest
When I was making the walkthrough, I came across a coding error that makes it so that there's a conversation missing. It doesn't prevent you from finishing the game and reaching those endings, but it does make the scene abruptly switch mid-conversation. The conversation is supposed to be the same one if you choose "make a deal."

The fix will be included in the v1.1 update. But if you can't wait and you're Ren'py savvy enough, you can do this to your script.rpy...
Change "if saffron >= 2 and pistacia_poisoned:" to "if saffron >= 2" on line 4523.
or download this script.rpy and replace the old scipt.rpy with that.

Catlip Candy
Regular
Completed: Raven // Encanto
Projects: My Twisted Love Story (title susceptible to change)
Organization: Catlip Candy
Tumblr: catlipcandy
Deviantart: CatlipCandy
Soundcloud: Catlip Candy
itch: catlipcandy

#11 Post by Catlip Candy »

So Berry still dies no matter what. I know she's useless... So maybe that's the reason she's the first one to die... :cry:
Anyway, I'm done with all the endings! I finally got the ending where the fairies return back to their homes! It was fun with the bad endings but of course, I needed to see the happy ending, too. Thanks for the link to the walkthrough! I really enjoyed this VN! Thanks for making it!
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!
Please help me become a better visual novel creator!

~~~~~~ Catlip Candy ~~~~~~~

KaenSe4
Regular
Completed: Good Morning Triss (2019), Palette Swap (Nano 16), Fairly Dangerous (Nano 15)
itch: kaense4.itch.io

#12 Post by KaenSe4 »

Actually, in response to
Berry's inevitable death
:
It was more of a decision between which death we wanted to see through all the routes, since we needed at least one death to start everything spiraling downwards. Berry's death was the most developed one(and most interesting one), being the first death that k-fish came up with, so we stuck with that.
Thanks for the support! :D

Oh, and I'll shamefully admit that I too haven't gotten the
"Everyone survives"
ending yet. :P

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

#13 Post by Heiden »

This is the world's latest response, but yaay! Thank you for the help! I was able to get all the endings!

I really really enjoyed this VN! It was both funny in parts but also really horrifying! (In a good way)

Is it alright if I drew fanart? :oops:
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

somestrangecircus
Regular
Completed: Palette Swap (NaNo 2016)
Projects: Yumi-chan's Wonderful Cake Shop
Organization: Some Strange Circus
Tumblr: somestrangecircus
Deviantart: somestrangecircus

#14 Post by somestrangecircus »

Great concept and mostly interesting characters...Unfortunately I kind of hate the protagonist and want to strangle her. She is completely insufferable. Still, though, I do like the game enough to continue trying for some different endings. My first time I fucked up everything completely and killed all the fairies. Then next time I managed to get everyone out on a rat...Yay?

tilly

#15 Post by tilly »

@Heiden: please draw fanart, we love it!!!! <3<3

@somestrangecircus: haha thank you! i did none of the writing but mentha being a big jerk is actually one of my favorite parts of the game--
good thing you have lots of ways of killing her! :P
NaNoRenO 2015: Fairly Dangerous