pretty much a KN... with no actual name.

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
kisa
Veteran
Completed: Brother Rose, Dogs Alone
Projects: So many projects, I can't name them.
Deviantart: tsubasafan135
itch: kisa

pretty much a KN... with no actual name.

#1 Post by kisa »

So, after a long while... I decided to just spit out my only completed game... KN... Short story I wrote when I was nine... whatever.

The sprite was a free asset by euphorics.
The backgrounds were badly drawn by my half-asleep mouse hand...

Basic overview:
There are no grand adventures or romantic subplots to explore here. It's simply a short series of events based off of a short story I wrote for homework and my mother liked.
You play as a young woman/girl who's recently moved out of her parents' house and has next to no contact with her old life.

I might make a more filled-out version if people like what little is in here...
Attachments
Brother rose game-all.zip
(17.45 MiB) Downloaded 133 times
I'm offering commissions!
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=41656

MasterPuppeteer
Regular
Projects: WIP Fantasy/Adventure VN
Tumblr: wolfganghelps
Deviantart: muhshroom

Re: pretty much a KN... with no actual name.

#2 Post by MasterPuppeteer »

Ah, this was really cute! I actually really prefer in this case that the choices didn't really change much. I don't know, I can't really explain it, but it worked well. Also,
Leon is a delightfully obnoxious cutie.
Congrats on releasing your first game!

victorita9
Regular

#3 Post by victorita9 »

I liked this more than I thought I would. And I think it's because of the way you introduced your story. Give it more love!

kisa
Veteran

#4 Post by kisa »

victorita9 wrote:I liked this more than I thought I would. And I think it's because of the way you introduced your story. Give it more love!
8) But, then you wouldn't like it as much.
MasterPuppeteer wrote:Ah, this was really cute! I actually really prefer in this case that the choices didn't really change much. I don't know, I can't really explain it, but it worked well. Also,
Leon is a delightfully obnoxious cutie.
Congrats on releasing your first game!
Shhh~ Don't tell him... I'm glad you like him. XD
Thank you~

I hope to not disappoint with whatever I produce next.

euphorics
Regular
Tumblr: niraniranegi
Deviantart: euphorics

#5 Post by euphorics »

Looking back I wish I made the sprite cleaner arghhhh, but it's so exciting to see it being used!! *___* Played through a few times, I think it's a really nice introduction -- from here, the story could go off in so many different directions. Would definitely be interested in a longer version, please continue!!
bring on the shotas
tumblr devart

kisa
Veteran

#6 Post by kisa »

euphorics wrote:Looking back I wish I made the sprite cleaner arghhhh, but it's so exciting to see it being used!! *___* Played through a few times, I think it's a really nice introduction -- from here, the story could go off in so many different directions. Would definitely be interested in a longer version, please continue!!
Yay~
I'll see what I can do~

I might make my own assets for the extended version so he won't be as epically awesome

Norbez
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, HCF, Hummingbird Haunting, Literate, Where Is The Edge of Space, Colmercia, Cally & Lingo, Comfort Owl, Fantastic Backflip, The Mouse
Tumblr: NaomiNorbez
itch: norbez

#7 Post by Norbez »

Hey there! I just played through the game (a few times, to see the changes in endings). Mind if I leave a critique?

kisa
Veteran

#8 Post by kisa »

Norbez wrote:Hey there! I just played through the game (a few times, to see the changes in endings). Mind if I leave a critique?
Go right ahead.
Although, it was mostly created with the intent of getting something out there. I expect that it's not 100% great... not even 1% actually... But, I digress. Go ahead.

Norbez
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, HCF, Hummingbird Haunting, Literate, Where Is The Edge of Space, Colmercia, Cally & Lingo, Comfort Owl, Fantastic Backflip, The Mouse
Tumblr: NaomiNorbez
itch: norbez

#9 Post by Norbez »

Okay then . . . here goes. (deep breath)

First off, it was great of you to create something and get it out there. But I do feel the experience could have been better.

My main problem is the pacing. From the writing, it seems you wanted to create an emotional story. But you have large text-blurbs, each with many emotions, on a single page. I think it should have spread out to 3-4 more pages, to slow down the experience, and give those emotions more impact.

As for a writing itself, it wasn't bad . . . but it wasn't exactly novel. It feels sparce; I barely got to know this character that I just spent ~15 minutes with. The moments that do let me get to know him/her feel misplaced.
For example, I didn't really know what the necklace means to the MC, so choosing whether to wear it or not meant nothing to me at that choice moment. And at the end, I only have a very slight idea of what the necklace means, and it still only a small emotional impact. Loneliness is a powerful thing, but I don't know why it's affecting this character, and I feel I need to know more to symphathize with him/her, or at the very least to understand them better.
(btw, I'm pretty sure that the MC's a girl, but I'm not honestly sure. . .)

Like your art, especially the title screen. And while we're talking about that, I really like your title! I felt there could have been more art, though,
especially for those moments at the end.
I understand if tackling more art would've been a lot, though; I know how much work it can be. (Also, that Leon sprite made me think, "Okay, is the MC in high school? Because I thought he/she was an adult . . . And it the MC's an adult, why's he/she friends with a high schooler. . . ?)

So, yeah! What other projects have you done? I look forward to whatever you make in the future!

kisa
Veteran

#10 Post by kisa »

Norbez wrote:Okay then . . . here goes. (deep breath)
No need to be so ready. XD
I don't mind critique.
First off, it was great of you to create something and get it out there. But I do feel the experience could have been better.

My main problem is the pacing. From the writing, it seems you wanted to create an emotional story. But you have large text-blurbs, each with many emotions, on a single page. I think it should have spread out to 3-4 more pages, to slow down the experience, and give those emotions more impact.

As for a writing itself, it wasn't bad . . . but it wasn't exactly novel. It feels sparce; I barely got to know this character that I just spent ~15 minutes with. The moments that do let me get to know him/her feel misplaced.
For example, I didn't really know what the necklace means to the MC, so choosing whether to wear it or not meant nothing to me at that choice moment. And at the end, I only have a very slight idea of what the necklace means, and it still only a small emotional impact. Loneliness is a powerful thing, but I don't know why it's affecting this character, and I feel I need to know more to symphathize with him/her, or at the very least to understand them better.
(btw, I'm pretty sure that the MC's a girl, but I'm not honestly sure. . .)
Yes, the MC is a girl. XD
I think I might do better getting a reader more emotionally invested with more space to work with. But, I will try to work on my pacing.
The necklace was just an extra little bit, no more important than deciding if you were dressed or not. But, maybe I should give it more significance...
Like your art, especially the title screen. And while we're talking about that, I really like your title! I felt there could have been more art, though,
especially for those moments at the end.
I understand if tackling more art would've been a lot, though; I know how much work it can be.
The art was very cobbled-together. I understand that that is no excuse. But, since it was just a quick one-off, I didn't feel the need to make too much.
(Also, that Leon sprite made me think, "Okay, is the MC in high school? Because I thought he/she was an adult . . . And it the MC's an adult, why's he/she friends with a high schooler. . . ?)
This seems like something I should expand upon in the requested next game. Rest assured that I will most certainly try to explain the situation in depth then. OuOb