Anticipation, Apprehension, Adolescence[Slice of life][Free]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
astrokeofmadness
Regular
Completed: AAA:Book 1
Projects: A Stroke of Apprehension

Anticipation, Apprehension, Adolescence[Slice of life][Free]

#1 Post by astrokeofmadness »

Download Page
Available in Windows, Mac and Linux

This is a story that takes place over the course of several years, starting as a preteen and ending in adulthood. The main character Laura often finds herself forced into situations by her friends, who seem to only be trying to help. Romance was never something she actively looked for, but she can't help but escape it as her friends take it upon themselves to help her find love. But are any of them really any better off then she is at this little game they call adolescence?

ImageImageImage

If you download the game please provide some feedback on what you thought and answer the following questions if possible:

1: Should I continue this series to book 2? Why or why not?
2: What did you like? Didn't like? What would you change?
3: Would you play another VN I make?
Last edited by astrokeofmadness on Sat May 02, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Re: Anticipation, Apprehension, Adolescence[Slice of life][F

#2 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Downloading now!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

GrizelyBear
Regular

#3 Post by GrizelyBear »

Hey there~ Congrats in finishing the game!

I really love the art style. It's cute and the colors are nice! <3 The voice acting's really great too!

But... I can't finish reading it. :( It keeps crashing in my laptop, which I assume is because of the animations haha (I should have really bought another laptop OTL) XD

I'll definitely finish this once I borrow someone else's though! <3

astrokeofmadness
Regular

#4 Post by astrokeofmadness »

GrizelyBear wrote:Hey there~ Congrats in finishing the game!

I really love the art style. It's cute and the colors are nice! <3 The voice acting's really great too!

But... I can't finish reading it. :( It keeps crashing in my laptop, which I assume is because of the animations haha (I should have really bought another laptop OTL) XD

I'll definitely finish this once I borrow someone Else's though! <3
Thanks Hope to hear back on what you think of the story!
A at what point is it crashing exactly? The no animation patch gets rid of the animated sprites which are the most complex of the animations. The other ones are only like 4 frames, so shouldn't be to hard to handle. Considered making a patch that disabled all animations, but figured the small ones wouldn't cause an issue, guess I was wrong. That or, try the no animation patch if you didn't if its the sprite animations causing the crash.

Otherwise, I'll see about whipping up a zero animation patch today to help you.

GrizelyBear
Regular

#5 Post by GrizelyBear »

Hey, I'm back!

I used the no-animation patch and I finally got to finish it! Question timeeee <3

Yes, I think you should. I'm really left at a cliffhanger there, buddy ;w; I want to know how their friendship will progress through adolescence.
I liked the art, the music, the voice acting, and the premise. I love how you're planning on focusing on each of the character's development. Your writing style's really good too! But sometimes it feels a bit repetitive, but it may be just me owo
Yep! I'd definitely love to see more from you!
I really look forward to book two. I can see some people in my life in the characters you made, and I can relate to Laura's struggle to belong when she was just a child. I think that adolescence is a really important phase of every normal person as it's the time we struggle to find our real identity and the social clique we'd like to be a part of, so I'm glad to see a novel focusing on that aspect~ <3
Oh, and by the way, there's an error message at the scene when they were in the library. Something about "clarissa.png" cannot be found? owo

Anyway, good luck in making book two! I'll be waiting huehuehue :>

MegaElla
Regular

#6 Post by MegaElla »

I am downloading it, and I for what I have red I think I'm gonna love it. I will comment my toughts on the game and anwser those sexy questions later.

astrokeofmadness
Regular

#7 Post by astrokeofmadness »

GrizelyBear wrote:Hey, I'm back!
I used the no-animation patch and I finally got to finish it! Question timeeee <3
Yes, I think you should. I'm really left at a cliffhanger there, buddy ;w; I want to know how their friendship will progress through adolescence.
I liked the art, the music, the voice acting, and the premise. I love how you're planning on focusing on each of the character's development. Your writing style's really good too! But sometimes it feels a bit repetitive, but it may be just me owo
Yep! I'd definitely love to see more from you!
I really look forward to book two. I can see some people in my life in the characters you made, and I can relate to Laura's struggle to belong when she was just a child. I think that adolescence is a really important phase of every normal person as it's the time we struggle to find our real identity and the social clique we'd like to be a part of, so I'm glad to see a novel focusing on that aspect~ <3
Oh, and by the way, there's an error message at the scene when they were in the library. Something about "clarissa.png" cannot be found? owo
Anyway, good luck in making book two! I'll be waiting huehuehue :>
Thanks for the feedback. The error message is likely a mistake I made with the no animation patch, likely Clarissa was supposed to appear on screen, but the image doesn't exist because I used the name of a file that doesn't exist hahaha...

I do admit that I used a fair bit of repetition in some aspects, but it most certainly was done on purpose, hopefully it wasn't overboard or overbearing. The idea behind it was that the narration is a window into Laura's state of mind and since the theme of the book is anticipation she repeats things like- it's the last day of school! etc because she's constantly thinking it.
Currently working on the idea planning and designs for book 2! Which will hopefully be better in every way now that I've got a handle on this!

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#8 Post by sasquatchii »

I LOVED THIS GAME!!

The voice acting, writing, and art were really refreshing in a way. Listening to the characters brought me back to middle school (good times) and I think I could guess the story's theme and some of the more subtle messages you might be making later.

So excited for Book 2!! I will be stalking the WIP thread now :)

Good luck!
ImageImage

astrokeofmadness
Regular

#9 Post by astrokeofmadness »

sasquatchii wrote:I LOVED THIS GAME!!

The voice acting, writing, and art were really refreshing in a way. Listening to the characters brought me back to middle school (good times) and I think I could guess the story's theme and some of the more subtle messages you might be making later.

So excited for Book 2!! I will be stalking the WIP thread now :)

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate getting feedback and hearing that people enjoyed the game. I've been slow working on the second book but I hope it'll be a notable improvement in every category which should hopefully make up for me working much slower. The first one had to be finished in a 2 month window which is why it was done so fast, but it also has some limitations in what I could do in that time.