Raidaa no Asahi

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Raidaa no Asahi

#1 Post by Samu-kun »

It was once believed the discovery of faster than light travel would herald a new age of prosperity for humankind.
It was thought that through the advancement of technology and the tapping of off world resources, poverty could be all but eliminated.
It was said that Earth’s over population could be solved through the colonization of faraway planets.
Instead, its discovery only led to the beginning of an arms race as various Earth nations squabbled over control of planets and their riches.

Set in the far distant future where mankind has spread to every corner of the galaxy, Raidaa no Asahi combines the electric action of an shoot 'em up game, the comedic ecchi romance story of a harem anime, and the interpersonal drama of a visual novel together in a single volume that will serve as an introduction to the funny and exciting world of Asaga, Ikkari, and Chigara.

Kaito Jirou is a totally average guy. He has the regular, not very exciting job of hauling boxes of fruits across the galaxy. His mom runs a small Japanese bakery and his dad's a salaryman in the recycled metal industry. It's always been a dream of his to become the captain of his own exploration ship and set out for the unknown in search of adventure. However, little does he know just how upside down his world will become after he accidentally meets the SunRiders.

Name: Asaga Okashi
Energetic and cheerful, she's always on the lookout for adventure and fun.

Name: Ikkari Ichinaya
Confident and with a rather serious demeaner, she is the leader of the SunRiders.

Name: Chigara Akahadi
More reserved and shy, she's the quiet brains behind the team.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

VERSION 1.0 of the game has been released!

KNOWN ISSUES
-Rollback doesn't work the way you expect it to. A limitation of the current VN engine. Will be fixed when the engine is rebuilt in future installments of Raidaa no Asahi.
-The game is a serious memory hog. Once again, a major limitation of the current VN engine. Will definately be fixed when the engine is rebuilt. May also be addressed in the current engine if too many people have problems playing the game. Currently a simple workaround has been implemented to reduce the memory strain: the game is separated into three different executables. This lowers the memory strain, but also increases the filesize... Make sure you play the episodes in the right order!
-Saving does not work properly. Will be fixed soon. Not that you actually need to save, since the game's cut up into three parts that you open one by one... o_o; (solved in v1.0)
-The character CGs are missing. My CG artist quit and I wanted to release this as soon as possible. XD
-ONLY WORKS ON WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEMS. Support for other platforms are not planned.

DOWNLOAD (32 meg, Megaupload)

Mirror - thanks to Hyperguy! ^_^
Last edited by Samu-kun on Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:41 am, edited 5 times in total.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Raidaa no Asahi

#2 Post by DaFool »

Dang! This is the best surprise for me! I must say, finally we're getting good-gameplay-based games!

EDIT: And assuming no other bugs (besides the known issues here) pop up this weekend, this could very well be the 100th game in the RAA, marking yet another milestone. I suggest you separate the "to-do" issues into immediate fixes to playability and future overhauls that go along with releasing subsequent installments of this game. This is just volume 1, correct?

Man, I wish I weren't at work today ^_^.

risingbamboobanana
Regular
Projects: On hold, sharpening skills.

#3 Post by risingbamboobanana »

just clicked on the "view new posts" thingy out of boredom and WAH! CONGRATS on finishing your game!! :mrgreen: i won't have time to play it right away (i'll save it for the weekend..it'll be more fun that way!) but i'm downloading it now :P
A little birdy in the sky
Dropped a poopie in my eye
I did not scream, I did not cry
But thanked the Lord that cows don't fly!

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#4 Post by papillon »

(Quick GM code note - I found it useful to have code scan through the dialog text and insert #'s rather than rely on draw_text_ext, which as you've no doubt noticed doesn't quite work right with letter-by-letter text display. I can dig up my code for it at some point if you want...)

(itty bitty nitpick - 'Phoenix'. Makes me twitch to see it wrong. :) )

(I am enjoying this, btw! Just making notes.)

(Even on 'easy' I lost a ship fighting that boss battle.... I suck)

(This is lots of fun. Are you releasing this on the GMC?)

(Since the boys came in while I was flying to try and show me stuff, is there a pause button?)

(Would be nice if space/enter worked as well as left-click...)

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Wintermoon »

First impressions:

I like the characters. I haven't played long enough to form an opinion on the plot.

Having to use the mouse to advance the story is annoying. I always play visual novels with the keyboard whenever I can.

I died in the first boss fight on easy. The fights take so long that even if I just take an occasional bullet, I still get worn down to zero hp before I win. This is even with delta attacks. My strategy was to charge up blue and red while using yellow to dodge so that I don't lose my charges until I can release them all at once. It worked until yellow died.

Ren

#6 Post by Ren »

Going to download it and play ASAP!
When all bugs will be discovered and fixed, would you mind if this was hosted on the RAA?

*I so wanted to do this!Couldn't resist :P*

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by monele »

Oooh, will have to try this tonight ^_^

Hyperguy
Regular
Projects: H.EXEC

#8 Post by Hyperguy »

Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#9 Post by Nafai »

Whoa, you weren't kidding when you said it was almost done. Congratulations! (Downloads)

Jake
Support Hero

#10 Post by Jake »

I'll be sure to check this out when I get home this evening, since not only am I a huge 2d-shooter fan I'm also in the process of writing an engine for a shooter/VN hybrid, so I'll be intrigued to see how it goes together in this game...

However:
Wintermoon wrote:The fights take so long that even if I just take an occasional bullet, I still get worn down to zero hp before I win.
This was something I worried about before, when the demo video was shown; I'd figured it was taking so long for testing reasons... was that really an accurate representation of how long boss fights take in the final game? :/

Bearing in mind that I've not seen the fight in question, speaking in general terms:

The problem with endurance fights is that it's very hard to remain satisfying. If the player's not nearly good enough, they feel worthless 'cause they die quickly and don't make a dent in the enemy at all; if the player's not quite good enough it'll be very frustrating to watch their health go down slightly faster than the enemy's over the course of several minutes, and if the player's good enough to come out on top then they'll just be bored of dodging for ages. Variety and complexity is nearly always better than endurance.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#11 Post by chronoluminaire »

Have some stream-of-consciousness impressions:

Keyboard, keyboard, KEYBOARD! :evil: Mouse-clicks are far worse for RSI... Also, Ren'Py users are used to being able to right-click to get to the menu. It's good that you support scrollwheel for rollback; it'd be even better to be consistent with the rest of the de facto VN interface standards.

The text flicker is rather odd and offputting, especially when it's finished displaying its text.

Bug: "Load Game" seems to lose the background.

Niggle: In the first VN segment, the characters are in very similar positions to each other, but not quite the same, which makes for a slightly disconcerting shift of a few pixels to either side when the speaker changes.

Needs a little proofreading, for things like "attack from our STRIKE's" (bad apostrophe), "Pheonix"

I got as far as the conversation with the fruits, then had to quit. When I reload, I get this error message:

Code: Select all

for object obj_messagebox:

Trying to draw non-existing sprite.
Starting a new game, I'm happy to discover that the Ctrl key is supported. But somewhat vexed to discover it doesn't save the "Text Speed: Full" setting. Bad preferences engine, no biscuit!

It's a bit strange to have text saying:
[Asaga makes Kaito grope her]
It's like a stage direction or something - it breaks suspension of disbelief. It'd read a lot more naturally if it said something like:
Wh-what's she doing?! She just grabbed my hand and put it on her breast!
Would it be possible to display multiple characters on screen?
The SunRider is unexpectedly cute, although I guess I really should have been expecting a SpaceshipGirl :) Also, I giggle lots at her reaction to his "Please tell me this is all a dream" :)
And then I get to the end of Episode 1. I thought the boss combat was fractionally on the long side, but only fractionally. A Delta Attack in the right order can take out a sizeable chunk (20-30%?) of its hit points. (This was only playing on "Moderate" difficulty, though.) I think I probably took about 8-9 hits total between the two combats; certainly none of my ships were at less than about 2/3 HP when I beat the boss.

I think (from having only played one of the three episodes) that this game has a lot of potential. You really want to fix the issues that've been mentioned, though - especially keyboard control - because it'd be a real shame to have the playability ruined by a little thing like that.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#12 Post by mikey »

What does Episode (Volume) 1 mean for this game? Is it a self-contained (pilot) episode, or does the story stop? This is important for the RAA, as the story should come to a reasonable conclusion. I will try gto play this, but I doubt that I'll get to the end soon, as I tend to be bad at shooting games, that's why the question.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#13 Post by chronoluminaire »

To mikey: You should be glad to hear that this game has a difficulty setting of "Visual Novel", which I assume (not having tried it) will skip the combats entirely :)

Carrying on with Episode 2...

Aha, the bizarre acronyms like "NET" get explained! I was really hoping for something like that fairly soon, because otherwise it's really hard to pick up what the different sides represent just from conversation like we had in Episode 1.

Ikkari's line "Ryder... A small, single seat star fighter designed for use with a supporting capital ship. It's been awhile since I've ever sat in on of those..." As well as having two typos ("awhile"->"a while" and "on"->"one"), it sounds really clumsy. That's just not the kind of thing people say in real life - only when a script is telling them to say it for exposition. >_> The same applies to a certain degree to a lot of the dialogue from then on.

Something I thought when the same thing happened in Episode 1, but I didn't comment then: During the pre-combat montage when the girls shout out their ships' names and the ship flies out, it's odd to have to click after that. It'd be more natural if it automatically advanced after the ship leaves the screen.

Bizarrely, when I finished Episode 2, it took me back to the options screen rather than to the main menu. The same thing happens with Episode 3.

Random glitch: in Episode 3, just before "General Nooke out.", Kyst is shown half-offscreen.

Hee... and then I try Episode 3 on difficulty "Challenging", and die horribly. XD But I seemed to start getting the hang of it towards the end, so I'll give it another go, when I've got a bit less work to do.
(Edit: Having tried 2 or 3 more times, I'm getting close to beating the second combat on Challenging, but the final stage of the big ship is really very sillily difficult. Now I have the eternal quandary of whether to drop back to Medium difficulty, or to keep on bashing at it... :D)
(Edit 2: I finally beat the Machiavelli on Challenging, but at the precise same moment, my last character died. This led to a bizarre circumstance where the plot (after you beat the boss) started playing, at the same time as the game also brought up the "game over - select difficulty" menu. I was able to click to advance the plot, but the select difficulty menu was still there; and clicking one of the difficulties restarted the chapter.)
Last edited by chronoluminaire on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#14 Post by mikey »

Hmmm, unfortunately none of the episodes work for me, I get the message "Unexpected error occured when running the game", on top of a blank application box.

I have Windows XP SP2, Czech version, a lot of RAM and a lot of processor power and space. Maybe because I have no video codecs (I use a standalone media player with built-in codecs, so there are none in my system, other than win defaults)?

Sorry!

EDIT: One more thing - Thumbs.db are included in your distribution. Much like all the sprites and all, they are hidden files, but they are of course useless for the game, I imagine.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#15 Post by Samu-kun »

Thanks for all the comments guys. ^_^ At DaFool's suggestion, here's a full list of changes that are going to be made in v1.0 (due to be released either later today or tommarow)

Planned Changes for v1.0

-Spell fixes for "Pheonix," "STRIKE's," "on," and "awhile"
-Pressing space moves the dialouge forward
-Returning to the main menu after finishing Episode 2 and 3
-The damage done by the special attacks and regular lasers will be slightly increased
-Save system will be operational
-The ability to pause the gameplay will be added

And now on the future of Raidaa no Asahi. The plan right now is that this is just a detached story in the world of Raidaa. After v1.0 is released, there will be a significant rewrite the visual novel engine, gameplay engine, the story, and also a major art overhaul. Most of the stuff you see here was me nearly three months ago. I've gained alot of experiance since then, so I'm hoping I can make a better product from now on. How I will release this future project once it is completed, whether by episodic installments or as a single VN is still up in the air and will be decided later.

Changes to come in the new Raidaa (subject to change)
The Visual Novel Engine
-More efficent programming that uses much, much less computer resources
-Functioning rollback
-A saving system similar to the one seen in other visual novels
The Story
-Almost no use of CGs to cut development time
-Increase the length of the story to about 50 000 words
(Quick GM code note - I found it useful to have code scan through the dialog text and insert #'s rather than rely on draw_text_ext, which as you've no doubt noticed doesn't quite work right with letter-by-letter text display. I can dig up my code for it at some point if you want...)
Yeah, I was hoping to change that in the next Raidaa game. If you could find it, that would be wonderful. ^_^ It'll save me tonnes of time on making the new VN engine. ^_^
(This is lots of fun. Are you releasing this on the GMC?)
Mmm... I may or may not release this once v1.0 is completed. Shall decide later. :3
I died in the first boss fight on easy. The fights take so long that even if I just take an occasional bullet, I still get worn down to zero hp before I win. This is even with delta attacks. My strategy was to charge up blue and red while using yellow to dodge so that I don't lose my charges until I can release them all at once. It worked until yellow died.
You have the right idea... Although Asaga makes a much better one to dodge bullets with since she charges her special the fastest. ^_^; I may decide to write up a small strategy guide for the gameplay segments soon if alot of people have trouble with beating the game.
Thanks! ^_^ When v1.0 is released, full free to delete that and replace it with the new version. ^_^
This was something I worried about before, when the demo video was shown; I'd figured it was taking so long for testing reasons... was that really an accurate representation of how long boss fights take in the final game? :/
Mm... The video was indeed longer than it is in the actual game. The software I was using to record the game was slowing it down by about 5/6th of the actual speed.
The text flicker is rather odd and offputting, especially when it's finished displaying its text.
Hopefully this will be solved very quickly if Papillion still has the code for it. ^_^; In either case, I will definately try fixing it in the new Raidaa game.
Bug: "Load Game" seems to lose the background.
Yeah, loading is pretty much disfunctional in v0.99. -_-;
Starting a new game, I'm happy to discover that the Ctrl key is supported. But somewhat vexed to discover it doesn't save the "Text Speed: Full" setting. Bad preferences engine, no biscuit!
Another something to add when I'm rewriting the VN engine. :3
It's a bit strange to have text saying:
[Asaga makes Kaito grope her]
It wasn't supposed to be like that... That's actually a fill in for a CG that was supposed to be there. But alas, my CG artist quit kinda at the last second and I had to release the game without them. XD
Would it be possible to display multiple characters on screen?
That is supportable in the current engine, but never used.
Random glitch: in Episode 3, just before "General Nooke out.", Kyst is shown half-offscreen.
I know... I have no idea what's causing that. *frusti, shall take another look*
(Edit 2: I finally beat the Machiavelli on Challenging, but at the precise same moment, my last character died. This led to a bizarre circumstance where the plot (after you beat the boss) started playing, at the same time as the game also brought up the "game over - select difficulty" menu. I was able to click to advance the plot, but the select difficulty menu was still there; and clicking one of the difficulties restarted the chapter.)
Wooahh... What are the chances of that happening!? o_o;
I have Windows XP SP2, Czech version, a lot of RAM and a lot of processor power and space. Maybe because I have no video codecs (I use a standalone media player with built-in codecs, so there are none in my system, other than win defaults)?
Mmm... It might be because you don't have the right sound codecs. As far as I know, GM is built on DirectX which does not support .wma files and they're actually played by an external media player. But you'd have to ask somebody who knows more about the internal engineering of GM to get a much better answer than what I've just given. ._.; In the next game, I may not use .wma files at all, but .mod files... (maybe)

So sit tight everyone! Version 1.0 with most of your suggestions implemented will be released very soon!