A Stupid Love Story: A JadeKat (Homestuck) Visual Novel

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
renica_green

A Stupid Love Story: A JadeKat (Homestuck) Visual Novel

#1 Post by renica_green »

A Stupid Love Story is a Homestuck visual novel following the characters Jade Harley and Karkat Vantas through their unconventional courtship.

The game contains instances of foul language:
But overall does not contain especially sexual themes.

Art by m0ny-art.tumblr.com
Story and programming by stridermanpain.tumblr.com

Download:http://www.mediafire.com/?bcgctinldya174k

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: A Stupid Love Story: A JadeKat (Homestuck) Visual Novel

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Welcome to the forum.

I have cautioned other people against creating fan games based on other companies' and people's intellectual properties. Please keep in mind that there is a slight chance that your VN might get a cease and desist order. (As far as I can tell, Homestuck is a free webcomic / animated series / adventure game. I don't think anyone is selling it or creating official merchandise.) But still, be aware that this is a possibility.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#3 Post by papillon »

this is a possibility.
Homestuck is a very special fandom. Really not a problem in this case. :)

(And yes, there is official merchandise. And officially permitted fan merchandise, although one has to ask for permission before *selling* anything.)

Anyway, yay game! Not my OTP but it'll do for a start. Now to download... :)

(Whatever became of the trollmance dating sim projects? Anything other than the usual 'dead for lack of organisation'?)

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#4 Post by Nuxill »

papillon wrote: (Whatever became of the trollmance dating sim projects? Anything other than the usual 'dead for lack of organisation'?)
It's probably because having to keep track of four quadrants over 12 characters would be too complicated to finish even if there was a good amount of organisation. :)

Was this made for the HSO? I've seen at least one other VN that was made for the newest round. I have no idea how the teams are doing but good luck!

Veniae
Veteran

#5 Post by Veniae »

Yes.
Fuck yes.
Hell fucking yes.

Kudos, you guys, for making this! I'll download it and tell you what I think after I play it. The screenshots look really promising, and JadeKat is just <3

Mini_Moshi
Regular

#6 Post by Mini_Moshi »

That was really cute actually!

When that song started playing I couldn't help but crack up! :lol:

Good job on the visual novel. :D

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Applegate »

Someone on 4chan mentioned this so I thought I'd give it a try. Being unfamiliar with Homestuck (I don't even know what it is; a cartoon, a comic, amateur animated series?) I can't say I immediately understand the relations of the characters or the very world they live in, and from the writing I assume you hoped readers were at least a little familiar.

What I liked immediately was the artwork. I know that sounds terribly cliché, but it's the first thing one tends to see and it's most easily appraised. I like the variety of expressions, and I like the a-typical way of noses being drawn. It reminded me more of Futurama than Anime art, although the eyes of course tend to destroy any such illusions. I like it when Visual Novels have a distinct style that's different from the current trend of moe moe kyun; it's daring and refreshing.

Minor thing: I disliked the part where they seem to be hovering above the lower part of the screen and where they go into transparency. Would've been better if you'd just drawn a leg there, since it looks weird to me and actually bugged me about otherwise good art.

I am also fond of the awkward love thing portrayed; him being all flustered and saying things he doesn't mean, her being a little oblivious except not entirely but it can't be true right?

'Course, I have to say it felt a bit of a non-sequitur where the girl reciprocates his feelings; I got the impression she'd rather not have him like her. Maybe I'm just too old to properly appreciate the delicacies of teenage love, though.

The narration is something I'm on the fence about: On the one hand, I like how the narration put you in the mindset of the characters. "You're the idiot that ruined his present" and such were lines I enjoyed and found clever. Things I didn't find clever are the situations where you picked a choice to change perspectives, and then the narrator declared you had changed perspectives. This was already evident, so it seemed unnecessary to mention.

The music was OK, but not really memorable... except for that last song. I'm going to assume it's some sort of Homestuck joke I'm missing because by Jove that was terrible. ;_; Why would you do that to someone?

I'm not going to pretend I understood this VN entirely, but overall, it is a good first Visual Novel. Good work.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#8 Post by MaiMai »

@Applegate: Homestuck in the most simplest of terms is a webcomic. But it's pretty much not your typical webcomic since it uses a combination of Flash and gif animations, tons of text in the form of chat logs, and music to tell its very convoluted story with its very many characters.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Applegate »

MaiMai wrote:@Applegate: Homestuck in the most simplest of terms is a webcomic. But it's pretty much not your typical webcomic since it uses a combination of Flash and gif animations, tons of text in the form of chat logs, and music to tell its very convoluted story with its very many characters.
And I'm all the more educated, although too late to let my new knowledge influence my experience. :-) Thanks for telling me, MaiMai.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#10 Post by MaiMai »

That's okay. Whether you knew about it being a webcomic or not probably wouldn't have changed too much of your opinion on this particular fanwork since when I mean Homestuck is convoluted, it is CONVOLUTED and rife with many character interactions, in jokes, and the like. You'd still be in the dark about a lot of things.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

ngareci
Regular
Completed: Grinning Heart: the meeting & the voyage, Nacira

#11 Post by ngareci »

This is a good simple giggling VN!
I don't know if this is one of fandom, but the idea bringing up the awkwardness makes me giggling..
:D
Completed Project
Image Image Image
===========================
Deviantart

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#12 Post by Crocosquirrel »

I'm not entirely certain of the wisdom of using panels from the website and music taken directly from the CDs...
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#13 Post by Blane Doyle »

DarkSpartan wrote:I'm not entirely certain of the wisdom of using panels from the website and music taken directly from the CDs...
It's Homestuck, that's all anyone needs to say to wave this away. The creator doesn't really care if people use anything from the comic in fan creations. In fact, he's brought IN fans to do panel art for the comic. He doesn't really seem to care about people using resources for fanworks, at least not from what anyone has seen. Heck, this is the guy who loudly proclaimed "all fantrolls are canon (but now dead), even the worst ones" just to get people to stop arguing about whether or not troll OCs should exist and to troll everyone back in turn.

If this were, say, something like The Avengers or Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long-Blog that would be different. But in this case using them is somewhat null given the creator's open/lax stance on fanworks in general and his lack of reaction to resources being used in the past.

That being said, I was wondering what a Homestuck VN would finally be finished. This looks good, I'm ready to give it a shot.