Herald: An Interactive Period Drama [Historical Drama]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
NickW
Tumblr: nickwitsel

Herald: An Interactive Period Drama [Historical Drama]

#1 Post by NickW »

HERALD: AN INTERACTIVE PERIOD DRAMA

♦ SYNOPSIS ♦

You are Devan Rensburg, a man of mixed heritage living in an alternate 19th century -
in a world where the west is united as a single colonial superpower: The Protectorate; a world divided by race, class and culture.

You were born in the eastern colonies - but raised in the west, in the Protectorate’s capital.
In search of your roots, you booked passage on board of the HLV Herald, a ‘Protectorian’ ship set for your country of birth.
During your voyage, news of colonial unrest created tensions between the diverse crew and passengers.

Months later you alone are dragged ashore. No ship, no crew. All that remains is you, your journal and a captain's coat you were wearing.
A mysterious woman is holding you captive and demands you to tell her what happened to 'your' ship. What you tell her, is your choice.

~*~

♦ SCREENSHOTS ♦

♦ DESCRIPTION ♦

Herald is a choice driven visual novel/3D adventure game. The first game made by our small Dutch indie game company; Wispfire. We tried to integrate the two genres to create a game that focuses on both narrative and exploration. We posted a WIP thread here long time ago, even before we ran our kickstarter, but got so swept up in development that we could not keep it updated! But the first two books of the game are out now and we hope you'll take a look :D As fans of the visual novel genre, we tried to pick what we loved about it and make something unique with an intriguing and also socially relevant story.

Herald will be released in four 'books'. The base game, consisting of Book I & II will have around 4 hours of gameplay. Book III & IV are already in pre-production and will be released as purchasable DLC for the base game at a later date. Together, the four books tell the entire story of Devan's journey on board the Herald.

♦ FEATURES ♦
  • A branching narrative that changes depending on how you decide to play. Do you choose to be bold and stand up for the downtrodden, or would pleasing the elite be the safer and smarter choice?
  • Uncover all of the secrets aboard the merchant clipper Herald, as you explore its many nooks and crannies.
  • The Herald is a microcosm of 19th century society. The crew and passengers all have their own dark secrets and often use sly coercion to convince Devan to help them. But who can you trust?
  • Herald's diverse cast of characters is brought to life by beautifully animated portraits, and the performances of thirteen talented voice actors.
  • Herald is set during an alternate 1857 in which the West has been united as a single global superpower: the Protectorate. Governed not by kings but by an elected 'Lord Protector’, the Protectorians believe they are morally superior. But are they?
  • A gripping tale about finding your place in a world divided by race, class and culture.
BUY

STEAM: http://store.steampowered.com/app/380810/
GOG: https://www.gog.com/game/herald_an_inte ... _book_i_ii
HUMBLE: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/hera ... -book-i-ii

We'd love to hear what you think and feel free to ask us any questions about the development!

Plueschkatze
Regular
Tumblr: Plueschkatzeart
Deviantart: Plueschkatze
itch: Plueschkatze

Re: Herald: An Interactive Period Drama [Historical Drama]

#2 Post by Plueschkatze »

I love the art! I might give it a try once I have more freetime again. Looks like some high quality work to me.

NickW

#3 Post by NickW »

Hey Plueschkatze, thanks! Let us know what you thought if you decide to pick it up :)

TheChosenWong

#4 Post by TheChosenWong »

This is fantastic, I'm going to pick this up eventually.

I'm designing a game similar to yours (TellTaleGames like), would you mind telling me the Engine and Framework you are using?

I've currently using Unity + Fungus but I can't tell if Adventure Creator will be more scalable.

NickW

#5 Post by NickW »

TheChosenWong wrote:This is fantastic, I'm going to pick this up eventually.

I'm designing a game similar to yours (TellTaleGames like), would you mind telling me the Engine and Framework you are using?

I've currently using Unity + Fungus but I can't tell if Adventure Creator will be more scalable.
Glad you like it!

We use the Unity engine and rewrote an old dialogue system asset to control almost all of the games events. Our dialogue nodes needed to be able to control the 3D character animations as well as the 2D portrait ones, so we really had no choice but to customize it. We looked at the Adventure Creator when we started but it wasn't really what we were looking for at the time. No experience with Fungus sorry!

Good luck with your game! Writing and controlling huge branching dialogue trees can be a hassle!