EVE

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

EVE

#1 Post by F.I.A »

:The stealth bomber with a "D:" sign approaches.:

For this Christmas, I am here to present you with a short visual novel.

Name: EVE
Game Genre: Romance
Game Rating: PG-13( Animated Gore)

That's it for now. Enjoy, and have a Merry Christmas.

Edit2: EVE is now available in RAA. Thanks, Ren.
Edit: Latest version is EVE-1.0. Please re-download for those who have the older versions.
EVE-1.0.zip
EVE-1.0 - Windows version
(26.16 MiB) Downloaded 3460 times
EVE-1.0-linux-x86.tar.bz2
EVE-1.0 - Linux version
(25.15 MiB) Downloaded 488 times
EVE-1.0-mac.zip
EVE-1.0 - Mac version
(28.73 MiB) Downloaded 526 times
Last edited by F.I.A on Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 10 times in total.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

Re: EVE

#2 Post by KomiTsuku »

I'm not gonna go into my usual evaluation rant, because I can sum up my feelings easily this time.
MEANY! Making me both cry and smile. ^_^ Thanks for making my Christmas a little more warm and fuzzy.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#3 Post by mikey »

First of all, congratulations on your release.

Yesterday I couldn't fall asleep and found this new game, so it was really a nice surprise, I took it and played it.

And I do have a few problems with it, well, maybe just one, really. Often the CG graphics never use the top third of the screen, and sometimes the textbox effectively covers the people's mouth or other important features - which could be helped simply by enlarging the pictures.

That's just about it. I suppose beyond this, if someone has a problem with the game, it's probably because he has a problem with the whole spontaneous mini-vn concept, or indeed a "project in X days" approach.

Anyway, I played in one session, all paths, and when I got all of them and went through memories, I instinctively
came back and took the path that newly opened up - not because I realized that one single choice (much like in Moonlight Walks without alternatives) is indicating something, actually I realized that only in retrospect - but that path felt most intensive, sort of saying that there is something still unsaid.
So really, I had the perfect playthrough, and let's just say for the record it was 4:42 a.m when I finished the game, when...
Sandra said the time she had on her watch - she said 4:41 a.m., and in that moment, it really sent a chill down my spine, because I remembered when I started to play, so I immediately realized it must be something around that time, actually. I got out of fullscreen and it said 4:42 on my clock, and I quickly took a screenshot just to remember this coincidence. Honestly, it was that late/early, and you can imagine how creepy that felt, especially as I spent a wonderful and emotional christmas eve with my wife.
Anyway, I read the staff notes, turned off the computer and went to sleep, and just before I fell asleep, I started to suspect it was too much of a coincidence, it was quite impossible, actually. And when I stopped thinking about it as a coincidence, it made so much more sense. I tried it out again today, and of course, I realized how it was all done.
It was brilliant, a nice story and a surprising effect on me personally, I absolutely enjoyed every minute, I just felt I was in the right mood and state of mind. Thank you, this one I will really remember.

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by F.I.A »

Latest version, EVE-1.0 released. Please re-download for those who owned the older version.

What's new
- Fixed some more typo mistakes.
- Added in two more questions for Q&A.
- A few cgs were worked on as suggested.
- Developer option turned off. It wouldn't work anyway.
=====

@Komitsuku
Glad to hear that you enjoy the game.
@mikey:
- Cgs fixed as suggested.
- Nevertheless, I am pleased that my game managed to surprise you. I have to thank PyTom for helping me on the code. Oh, sorry in case that shocked you. Thank you again for playing another game of mine.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#5 Post by mikey »

It was really great, I have to say ... and with added "unsettling points" (I forgot this before) given the fact that
new watches (which we actually both need quite badly) were our Christmas presents to each other this year.
It's scary I tell you!! :?

Anyway, if that
time thing
would really be a coincidence, I'd probably be creeped out. But this way, I just really enjoyed it, it was like someone has written it just for me. :P

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#6 Post by sake-bento »

Nicely done. I rather liked the ending, but I've always been a fan of the bittersweet end. Thank you.

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by F.I.A »

@mikey:
A strange coincidence indeed! I hope both of you are happy with your watches.
@sake-bento:
Well, it is Christmas, so I guess this story deserves a happy ending as a finishing touch. But I am glad you like the bittersweet ones as well.
Last edited by F.I.A on Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by PyTom »

You know, I remember FIA asking me for the time handling code... but I didn't put two and two together until now, nearly a day after reading mikey's post. :?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Ren

#9 Post by Ren »

I liked it very much, just like Sake-Bento I love bitter-sweet endings, too :3
I was wondering, could we add this to the archives?

Thanks again for the experience, I hope you saw the sketch on irc!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

I actually fully finished it last night and it made me realize I should not give a negative critique until I've played the whole thing ^^;...
Bittersweet but positive! Now I can stomach that ^__^

As for the time thing, I totally missed it. Both because I wasn't paying attention to the current time, and because it happened to be *very* close to 9:15, which made me think she just repeated this particular time as a wink to what happened ^^;... But it's a nice idea :)

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by F.I.A »

@PyTom:
Well, I was at fault for not explaining it, but I wanted to keep that a surprise till the release.
@Ren:
Thanks for playing the game, and for the fanart, and lastly for the upload to RAA.
@Monele:
Good to hear that you managed through it to the end. Thanks for playing.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#12 Post by lordcloudx »

Just have to say... I really like this type of story with its bittersweet one true ending. At first, I hated how I seemed to keep getting nothing but bad ends. That is, until I realized that they were all actually bits and pieces of the whole story.

The main plot itself is quite simple, but not without it's little twists; and that's why it's perfect for a short game like this. I like the little bits of "game" that was put into this, making the player have to work a little for the true ending.

Nothing much more to be said, execpt my congratulations to the author (and his proofreader too... I guess :P).
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#13 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jo'ogn
Veteran
Projects: Kassiopeia [iVN]

#14 Post by Jo'ogn »

At first I was "wth? Merry Christmas?!?!" o_0;
It's an interesting idea to sort of telling this story backwards.

I also like how Edmund permanetly quarrels with Sandra. Reminded me somehow on me.

I never pay much attention to the time. So it's only thanks to mikey and PyTom that I guessed, what's going on there and in the end found myself being correct ^_^ neat idea!

Two of your mp3s are in 48kHz instead of 44,1kHz, causing aliasing artefacts!
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by F.I.A »

@lordcloudx:
That's my intention as well - to scatter bits of information around. Unfortunately, some relatives that I showed EVE to stopped after one or two of the bad ends. A pity, but I guess it's inevitable.
@mugenjohncel:
Thanks for playing it to the end.
Oh dear, that is certainly unsettling. Better hope Sandra is fine... looking forward to it nevertheless
@Jo'ogn:
Thanks for playing. And yes, a game does not really fit with the Christmas' atmosphere...
True, it is told in reverse chronological, but it has to be as not to kill the suspense.

Oh, I assume you get along with a Sandra, then?
As for aliasing artifacts found in the mp3s, perhaps it is due to a little mishandling while recompiling them to decrease file size. I will take that in mind in the future.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard