Heiress II (NaNoRenO 2009)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Re: Heiress II (NaNoRenO 2009)

#31 Post by mikey »

monele, Ayato Vu >> thanks for the comments on the longer epilogue - read and understood. And I'm really happy you liked it (yay for monele's cliche-but-not-really experience! :)
monele wrote:On the "technical" side, bravo to the artists and I was impressed at how little art there is in the end but how it all fits together.
Well, it was less than 7 days to go, so we couldn't do anything spectacular - Nevertheless, I enjoyed my self-imposed limit of 3 BGs and 1 sprite, that had an effect on a lot of the script. Indeed the first thing I did was send 3 sketches to lordcloudx, and I was effectively constrained then - but in a good sense. And we finished so close to the deadline, that amount was really just perfect.
Ayato Vo wrote:I know I just said it, but it is through these games I can see a kinder world.
Thank you for those wonderful comments. And I'm glad that you like the positive/idealist approach. It's really encouraging for me, especially for the future. :P

sooty15

#32 Post by sooty15 »

Scout wrote:Uh... Mikey? Why did you make a game in Ren'Py but then not actually upload cross-platform versions?

Here, usul, and any other Linux/Mac users who can't open the EXE installer:

arigato! will play!

lol i am the number 1337 veiwer

V2Blast
Regular

#33 Post by V2Blast »

A surprisingly deep game (
maybe minus the endings - I mean it in that they sort of cut themselves short
)... Cen's story (and her unwillingness to worry everyone else) really drew me in. I was sort of meh about the "good ending", but I'm glad to hear you thought the "bad ending" was the true one. :)
Pie is delicious.

Dollywitch
Veteran
Projects: Celestial Knight Iris, Thread

#34 Post by Dollywitch »

I just decided to play this since it was short and I wanted a quick burst. Been meaning to check it out after I saw a thread going through random Ren'py games, and they said it got interesting.

mikey, I found your comments about endings very interesting. It is interesting how people consider the "bad" ending the more realistic one.
After all, in this case - can you even take the character on her word? How much poison entered her blood stream? If she got the numbers wrong, you never know. It's not unrealistic because we don't know the full situation.
I think it's because bad things seem to happen more often in real life, and really, they do. But that seems to make it all the more reasonable we would want positive fiction as well as negative fiction. I think Hollywood has soured people to the "good end" but in a sense there's nothing wrong with it, and culturally we tend not to write engaging "Bad ends". Plus if you watch anime or read VNs you start to get really sick of the "Bittersweet end" or Gainax end.

It's kind of an interesting thing to talk about, as a lot of people seem to almost have a fetish for bad ends. I think a lot of people believe it's more artistic or mature, when it's not inherently so at all.

I think a lot of the time you're forced to choose between bad, bittersweet, and good. Once you're introduced to the seedy, awful underbelly of the world, you have to accept someone's going to die. This isn't going to end well for most of the character. I mean look at that druggie shooting up, man. His life sucks.

I like the idea of accepting all that misery and despair and saying "Fuck that shit, we don't have to give in to that". If anything, this theme fits the VN quite well -
she's not literally fated to die, again we only have her word for it, and it can be easy to give into despair
. This is one reason why I actually LIKED Higurashi's end on one level whereas most others hated it, because they didn't get what it was trying to do.

And yeah, it's a real shame the endings were so abrupt. When you sit through a game even for an hour you kind of want some kind of reward for it. You're sort of progressing towards the end for a reason.

IMO I don't think it's unreasonable that people can fall in love that quickly. It may have been all in one day but they spent a lot of time together closely chatting, etc. Love isn't so well defined as to have a minimum time limit.

It think it would be a cool game to come back to some day, do an expanded version, or even a follow on story.

I found that one question kind of funny, the honest opinion about her. It's interesting because two of the things I find myself actively attracted to are chubby/curvy women, and awesome hair. It was like chosing between my two fetishes. But it didn't result in anything. Should have been an ending where she got bigger, or did something to her hair. Or teases you for your answer later on.