Red Riding Hood [GxB][FairyTale][Free]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ekkoberry
Tumblr: Ekkoberry
Deviantart: Ekkoberry

Red Riding Hood [GxB][FairyTale][Free]

#1 Post by Ekkoberry »

Baby's first completed VN! I released it a little while ago now but I finally worked up the nerve to post it here too ;a;/

Synopsis:

With Red’s Mother falling ill, it’s left to Red and her friend Alex to collect medicine from her Grandmother on the other side of the forest.

Through the time spent together, it’s made clear there’s some underlying tension between the two of them. Playing as Red, your choices will affect whether or not you can resolve this issue.

Characters:

Red:

Rather sheltered due to her poor health at a young age, Red spends the majority of her time indoors, often with her nose in a book. Heading out into the woods is a little scary, but helping out her Mother takes priority. Having Alex by her side certainly helps in calming her nerves.

Alex:

A Proud Wolf with a strong distaste for humans. He considers Red’s family honorary wolves. Rather anxious at times, he likes to try and put on a brave face, especially in front of Red. He’s very excited about finally getting to show her around his domain.

Screenshots:

Features/Info:

- 1280x720 resolution
- ~20k words
- Point and click elements
- 4 endings

Title theme by KIRA!

PG13 for some mentions of mature topics.

Downloads for both PC and Mac are available here!:
https://ekkoberry.itch.io/red-riding-hood

I hope you enjoy it!

ilyilaice
Regular
Completed: Flights of Fancy, Limbokin, Loveless on Lockdown, Aria at the Funeraria, Pusoy Dos, Jester Under Pressure, Dabbling in Drama, Iridescent Descent, Spirits of Limbo, Serial Killers Anonymous
Organization: Orca Martian Games
Tumblr: hurtinghabits
Deviantart: ilyilaice
itch: ilyilaice
Discord: ilyilaice

Re: Red Riding Hood [GxB][FairyTale][Free]

#2 Post by ilyilaice »

The art style is so cute~ Downloading it now. Will tell you what I think when I finish. <3
Completed Games: Flights of Fancy (NaNoRenO 2019), Limbokin (NaNoRenO 2020), Loveless on Lockdown (NaNoRenO 2021), Aria at the Funeraria (Otome Jam 2021), Pusoy Dos (Spooktober 2021), Jester Under Pressure (NaNoRenO 2022), Dabbling in Drama (Otome Jam 2022), Iridescent Descent (Spooktober 2022), Spirits of Limbo (NaNoRenO 2023), Serial Killers Anonymous (Spooktober 2023). See them all here.

VanessaNellyn

#3 Post by VanessaNellyn »

You're a very talented artist and programmer! It's like a hidden object game and I love it! I like how the character's eyes blink and how Alex looks at the screen when you hover the mouse at him. (The mouse cursor is also very cute, btw) I had a hard time finding the book though, I literally searched everywhere. Overall, it was a very pleasant read, and I'll be looking forward to your new works someday! :D
I was slightly afraid of the flower garden though, Why in the world did you make such eerie music? XD

Stuffies12

#4 Post by Stuffies12 »

This was amazing and super cute! The art is distinct and the aesthetic really fits. The characters are well-written. Congrats on making this!

Ekkoberry

#5 Post by Ekkoberry »

Thank you very much everyone! I'm really glad you like it ;___; <33
VanessaNellyn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:14 am I had a hard time finding the book though, I literally searched everywhere.
I've gotten this once or twice before! Naturally as the one who placed the book there I didn't think it was too hard, but I'll defs look into finding a way for it to look more distinct or something...

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#6 Post by Zelan »

I absolutely LOVE the art style you used for this game!! I'm super busy atm but I really really hope I can find the time to play this soon!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Zelan »

ahhhhhh I stayed up until 3am last night getting all of the endings :') but I don't regret it at all tbh, this game was such a wonderful experience!! It was so polished - I loved the art style, the point-and-click sections, the way the characters would move based on where your cursor was, the little animations, the small variations in the story based on previous choices.... it was all so great, I took so many screenshots to use as desktop backgrounds lol.
I also really loved the development of Red and Alex's relationship, especially in the perfect end route, and ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY when they talked about Alex's experience with humans and the fact that Red is human and Alex is half-human. Especially that dialogue choice where Red reminds Alex that even if she's an "exception" to his dislike for humans, she's still human herself. Like.... that was so so so good I had to stop for a second because it was essentially Red acknowledging her privilege as a human in a world where wolves are the minority. Same for the bit where they discussed Red's fairy tale book after she sees its portrayal of wolves through Alex's eyes and is able to understand how this portrayal of wolves is a harmful stereotype, but is also able to remind him that she doesn't see him, or any wolves, that way. And like Alex's line where he's like "I want to get more comfortable with humans, for you, but also for myself." HOOOOOOOOOLY WOW that Got Me. Like I think this is such a healthy thing because his view of all humans as Bad reminds me a lot of like, real-life radical feminists who are like "if you date a man you're not a feminist also all men are bad and abusive" which is of course not true, but on the other hand a lot of these people have probably had genuinely bad and even traumatic experiences with men so it's not as easy as just "get over it and talk to them" and that's basically what Alex is going through. Gosh. I could literally write a whole essay about this akgfkj sorry if that's not at all what you intended with this story but it really like deeply DEEPLY resonated with me.
Also it looks like I didn't say this already but this game is just so cute??? I love the characters and your art style and the way they interact with one another. Like I said, staying up til 3am was 100% worth it, and I'm really glad I got to experience this game sooner rather than later.

Ekkoberry

#8 Post by Ekkoberry »

first i just gotta say im SO sorry I didnt notice your post earlier it's been over a MONTH
Zelan wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:18 pm Also it looks like I didn't say this already but this game is just so cute??? I love the characters and your art style and the way they interact with one another. Like I said, staying up til 3am was 100% worth it, and I'm really glad I got to experience this game sooner rather than later.
Thank you very much!! Art's my only real forte so I tried my best to get the other elements all to work together, I'm glad you liked it!
I started noticing the parallels half way into the project- I always wanted to have some kind of tension involving Alex and being a wolf, since the original fairy tale has the wolf as...well, the big bad wolf. I felt that this was something I wanted to change and I just sort of went from there haha- interesting where it ended up, but above all else I wanted Red and Alex to see each other for individuals while staying sensitive to the parallels to minorities I'd stumbled upon.
I'm really happy to hear it resonated with you!! I think that's the best thing a writer can hope for so it means a lot!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Zelan »

Lmao don't even worry about it, Lemma doesn't always get a lot of comments so it's easy to forget to check it! And tbh at this point I don't think you can say art is your ONLY forte, the writing for this was great and the coding was really impressive, especially for a first project! You should be proud of your skills. ^_^

SupersizeMyHeart
Veteran
Projects: Supersize My Heart!
Deviantart: JeremyRawn

#10 Post by SupersizeMyHeart »

Duuuude, the art in this looks so choice!
Hey, I'm making a game about kissing cute fast food mascots! Check it out here right here.