A Taste of Honey

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
silentfred

A Taste of Honey

#1 Post by silentfred »

I'm new to the forum, but have been working for several months on a KN adaptation of one of my short stories that was published online last year. Being a writer, but not an artist, I enlisted Vatina to provide some character art, and she did a beautiful job.

It's a light fantasy/romance, all-ages appropriate, about a photographer who stumbles upon something unusual at a country fair. Comments welcome. The original text-only story is at Residential Aliens online magazine.

Fred

Linux version
Windows version
Mac version

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: A Taste of Honey

#2 Post by papillon »

Fun story!

During the bit where the bees are 'herding' him to the car, I would have really liked to see some bee sprites on screen to go with the text. It's an important element of what's happening at that time and it's not visually represented. I understand that making bees that can perform what the text calls for would be a bit of extra work though...

silentfred

#3 Post by silentfred »

papillon wrote:Fun story!

During the bit where the bees are 'herding' him to the car, I would have really liked to see some bee sprites on screen to go with the text. It's an important element of what's happening at that time and it's not visually represented. I understand that making bees that can perform what the text calls for would be a bit of extra work though...
I'm glad you enjoyed it. There were a couple of scenes, including that one, that I would have liked to do as full CGs and may do that in a later version. Hadn't thought of using bee sprites, but that's a cool idea...I'll have to play around with that.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#4 Post by Vatina »

*Finally gets to stop by - internet is hard to come by for me here in Swansea*

Nice, the game is done :) I can't wait to see how it all comes together when I get home and download it. Unfortunately there are still a couple of months left before I can do that...

Best of luck!

Andrew

#5 Post by Andrew »

Excellent, although I would've liked to have known what all the mysticism was about.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#6 Post by lordcloudx »

A bit late, but better that than never.

I enjoyed this piece quite a bit. I thought it worked very well as a slice-of-life story with just a dash of magic. It was quite well-written.

The text flowed very well from the narrative to the dialogue. The narrations felt quite simple and unobtrusive and the dialogue felt fitting for the characters. I didn't mind the lack of explanation on the deeper aspects of mysticism used in the story, since I think it's made clear that the game itself really doesn't give too much importance on that aspect. In fact, I like the way the magic was treated in this game as a supplement to evoking the calm, everyday atmosphere of the whole piece.

potential spoiler
I also like how the story's beginning and end somehow connect explicitly and also implicitly like the way the features in the country fair look run-down at the start and look brand-new when Bob revisits it some years later.
The music selection was excellent and really helped to add to the immersion in the game's simple, but well-told story. It reminds me a bit of some of the soundtracks in Final Fantasy VIII.

Excellent job on the graphics by Vatina.

Over-all, there was nothing really special about this story that would make it any different from any other slice-of-life mixed with magic piece, but maybe that's what makes it special for me in its own way. I could sense that it never tried to be different, outstanding or groundbreaking, but it was well-executed and sometimes that's all that really matters.

Congratulations to the author and everyone else who worked on this.

Also, I like the fact that the text doesn't appear all at once by default. Maybe it's just me, but I find it more aesthetically appealing when the text appears with just a slight delay.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Sheridan
Regular
Completed: Tea & Sympathy, 51 cards

#7 Post by Sheridan »

The download link no longer works. Does anyone still have this?