The Flower Shop

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Blue Sky
Regular
Projects: The Perfect World, Mahou Shoujo Daisuki!

Re: The Flower Shop

#16 Post by Blue Sky »

I... wrote a review of the demo... but it is pretty harsh, and somewhat embarrassing for me... o//o However, I did like the game - especially the characters.
http://yummisnow.wordpress.com/

I'm fairly sure this game costs 20 dollars, but if I'm wrong, please tell me. xD

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#17 Post by jack_norton »

This point in your review made me laugh (for myself, not at you or at the review in general that is quite good):
Alright, I’ll start this off with something simple: the grammar and spelling. Honestly, there were waaaay too many mistakes! If this were a free game, I would’ve ignored it, but this is something that you are putting on the market.
When I read that, I laughed because this game was entirely written by sake-bento, so in summary:
- I write it = poor grammar bla bla "you're not native english speaker" = OK
- I have it translated = poor grammar bla bla "you used a poor translator" = damn it, OK
- a (good) native english speaker like sake-bento writes the full game= poor grammar!!! = What!? :lol:
how's that possible! next game I'll make it in italian so nobody can complain! (I'm joking of course).

Overall good review, thanks for writing it.
P.S. In the demo you basically get just an introduction of the farming sim, even if you're right about the fact that is not as complex as harvest moon, that's sure.
Last edited by jack_norton on Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#18 Post by Vatina »

Don't laugh please. I'd rather have a review that points out both good and bad, instead of just focusing on the good. Besides, that is just his impression - people have different things they expect of games.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#19 Post by jack_norton »

I know and I think is a good review. What that made me laugh is the grammar thing (I laugh myself, not at the reviewer!), since this time I used a native english speaker to fully write it! Maybe it's more about typos than grammar ?

(I've edited my previous post in case it seemed offensive to the reviewer!)
computer games

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#20 Post by sake-bento »

I'll be honest: I'm feeling a little bit defensive, but I'll take it with a grain of salt. I don't doubt I made mistakes. In fact, I do see one in the demo as we speak, but I like to think my grammar and spelling are at a decent level. I even had other people with college level educations look over it multiple times, since I know that it's always difficult for the original writer to see the typos. So how many mistakes did we miss to make it "waaaay too many?" I'd hate to think that our combined efforts still make us look like a thirteen-year-old who has just discovered the YouTube comment system.

That being said, I am grateful for the review. It was well organized, and the cons don't really seem nearly as heavy as the pros, so it's still positive, despite not actually recommending the game. XD

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#21 Post by Deji »

Thanks for the review! It was a really good one :3

I take full responsibility for the unwanted pixels on the sprites >>;
I was careless and never notice them until playing the game itself for the first time yesterday "Orz

I'll be super careful from now on to triple-check everything looks alright before submitting them for a game! >o<
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Blue Sky
Regular
Projects: The Perfect World, Mahou Shoujo Daisuki!

#22 Post by Blue Sky »

sake-bento wrote:I'll be honest: I'm feeling a little bit defensive, but I'll take it with a grain of salt. I don't doubt I made mistakes. In fact, I do see one in the demo as we speak, but I like to think my grammar and spelling are at a decent level. I even had other people with college level educations look over it multiple times, since I know that it's always difficult for the original writer to see the typos. So how many mistakes did we miss to make it "waaaay too many?" I'd hate to think that our combined efforts still make us look like a thirteen-year-old who has just discovered the YouTube comment system.

That being said, I am grateful for the review. It was well organized, and the cons don't really seem nearly as heavy as the pros, so it's still positive, despite not actually recommending the game. XD
I was a bit too harsh in my review, I think, as the grammar issues were mostly just typos. The story was written well, it just had some issues that broke the flow of the reading. I'm truly sorry; I did make it sound as though the game was written by a thirteen year old Youtuber, which wasn't the case. xD I'm going to replay the demo today and try to find all of the typos I saw the first time; if it really wasn't that many, I'll write up a full apology. Again, I'm really sorry for making the review so harsh!

Deji: Ah, thank you! I was very nervous as I typed up this review. ;-; And it's okay; the pixels didn't ruin the game or anything, it's just something that caught my eye. :)

Edit: I'm really sorry if I pissed any of you off (which I probably did, knowing me)! The game was very well made, and out of all the OELVNs I've played, it was by far the best in art quality, writing, and presentation. Hands down, it is one of the best english visual novels on the web. I just feel that it isn't quite commercial game quality - though honestly, it's close. I did like this game a lot, and I wish you guys the best in the development of future games! I'm looking forward to them. :)

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#23 Post by sake-bento »

Nonono, you don't have to apologize. I just really care about the quality of my writing, and if it's riddled with mistakes, I need to know. There's nothing wrong with sharing what you felt. If even one is too many for you, then you have a right to say so.

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#24 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Hey there!

I played the demo and really enjoyed myself. Deji's art is, as always, beautiful, and the story seems really interesting. Right now I don't have the money to splurge on a new game (even though I want to!) but once I get more paychecks coming in, this is definitely on my wish list!

As for my impressions on the demo, it seems like a fun and challenging game (as to be expected out of Jack's stuff!) that logistically works really well! (Haven't been able to play the whole system yet, so my opinion may not be horribly informed.)

A few things that threw me off: I like that Steve definitely has a personality, but at times his selfishness exceeded the limits of normal human behavior. I mean, I could buy him being a screw-up, but his rudeness just seemed a bit over the top. Still, every character has to have an arc - I might've ended up liking Steve more by the end of the game. (Hopefully he grows up a bit.)

Sprite wise, I found the Uncle and the Father to look like they weren't brothers but maybe uncle and nephew. The Uncle character looked FAR older than the Father character. I first assumed that the Uncle was Steve's Great Uncle. The father and he didn't seem like they could actually be brothers. Still, both sprites were beautifully drawn! :) Great job, especially considering I know you mostly draw younger people, Deji.

Those are the only things that stood out to me. The game looks and runs spectacularly! The text box is especially wonderful - I enjoyed it a lot.

Hope I can buy the full game!

victorita9
Regular

#25 Post by victorita9 »

as someone who has finished the game and has completed all of the paths, i feel like this review doesn't do the game justice. It is a really good game and is worth the 20 bucks. The character does become more likable as game goes on.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by jack_norton »

Another review from Jenni at Gamertell (she reviewed almost all my games!): http://www.gamertell.com/gaming/comment ... and-linux/

she's right about the lack of gallery option on main menu, will probably add it in a future update :)
computer games

saskuto
Regular

#27 Post by saskuto »

jack_norton wrote:The game is officially out!

Download links:
http://www.winterwolves.com/download.ph ... FSDemo.exe (Pc)
http://www.winterwolves.com/download.ph ... FSDemo.zip (Mac)
http://www.winterwolves.com/download.ph ... mo.tar.bz2 (Linux)

Buy link:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/servlets/Or ... D=17030025 (All platforms)

As always I have a discount coupon for LSF members: enter "BMXH002A1" on order page for 20% discount (first 50 orders only)
YAY! JUST BOUGHT IT! am gonna try not cheat lol

saskuto
Regular

#28 Post by saskuto »

awwwww the Susana ending gave me warm fuzzies!!! I will try to get Jill 2moro!

bobbk
Regular

#29 Post by bobbk »

I think you're hitting the right place in the market, farming games are big with casual gamers.

I don't understand the romance thing but I guess your target audience likes both romance and farm sims.

I forsee this game being a longstanding winner for you.

victorita9
Regular

#30 Post by victorita9 »

anyone else think that the dad was pretty hot? If there was ever a girls side to flower shop i would die if he was option.