Her Lullaby [Horror, Psychological, Mystery, Drama]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Pommy
Completed: Her Lullaby

Her Lullaby [Horror, Psychological, Mystery, Drama]

#1 Post by Pommy »

A Visual Novel by Polly S. and John Thyer

Content Warning
This game contains coarse language, descriptions of violence, and scenes related to self-harm and suicide. The violence in-game is never graphically depicted, and only described via text.

If any of the above are issues you are sensitive to, we highly suggest not playing our game.

We value your mental well-being over you having played our game.

Genres: Horror, Psychological, Mystery, Drama
Runtime: 75-90 minutes (20,713 words)

Written and Created by: Polly S. and John Thyer
Character Art and Designs: Carmichael Micaalus
Music: S. Broka

*All downloads come packaged with S. Broka's soundtrack as well as a flowchart in the off-chance anyone gets stuck.

Her Lullaby is a story of two people who are total strangers to one another waking up in the same place and wanting nothing more than to kill one another. If the noise and headaches would stop for only a few moments... maybe some kind of understanding can be reached.

About:
This game was created as our first Ren'Py project from December 2016 through February 2017. The story and characters were written "free form" with no plan in mind as myself and John passed the project back and forth to one another, building and building until we'd reached something we were very happy with in the end. It draws from a lot of our own interests and personal experiences, repackaged and smooshed into a psychological and emotional horror story.

We stuck with some of Ren'Py's default assets such as textbox and the like because we felt they fit, but gussied up the UI here and there where it felt appropriate. So, nothing too fancy in that department. We really just felt the need to tell and present a story, world, and characters we were happy with and we hope some folks out there enjoy it as well.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Her Lullaby [Horror, Psychological, Mystery, Drama]

#2 Post by Mammon »

Warning to anyone about to play this: Do not wear headphones! Freaking static bang effects...

I enjoyed this game. I liked the events of the game that were walking a silken thread between being too vague and being too obvious, and the very subtle hints and lore that wouldn't have worked if they were expanded upon like Sal's
suicidal tendencies
. And the changing 'start game' and switching perspectives were a nice touch as well.

Critique on the following things:
-First thing I saw when I opened the game was that you didn't capitalise your own names. Only real typo I saw throughout the entire game, so I find it rather odd.
-Don't make a character (referring to Lori) look direcly at the player. Doing symmetrical faces correctly is very difficult and will require a lot of skill for an artist to pull off.
-I would've liked a sprite for Sal to have been visible. With the other girl I can understand it considering her short appearance, but Sal is main cast.
-The choices were rather obvious, until I got to late game and they suddenly got vague. In the beginning when I can still easily skip through they could've been a bit more exploring, while not knowing which end would do what after several new starting points wasn't really something I enjoyed.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Pommy
Completed: Her Lullaby

Re: Her Lullaby [Horror, Psychological, Mystery, Drama]

#3 Post by Pommy »

Mammon wrote:Warning to anyone about to play this: Do not wear headphones! Freaking static bang effects...

I enjoyed this game. I liked the events of the game that were walking a silken thread between being too vague and being too obvious, and the very subtle hints and lore that wouldn't have worked if they were expanded upon like Sal's
suicidal tendencies
. And the changing 'start game' and switching perspectives were a nice touch as well.
Thank you very much for the feedback. :) Doing little changes like the Start Button changing/perspective switches were things we were the most proud of, I think, when it started coming together. I'm glad you enjoyed that aspect of the game and story.
Critique on the following things:
-First thing I saw when I opened the game was that you didn't capitalise your own names. Only real typo I saw throughout the entire game, so I find it rather odd.
-Don't make a character (referring to Lori) look direcly at the player. Doing symmetrical faces correctly is very difficult and will require a lot of skill for an artist to pull off.
-I would've liked a sprite for Sal to have been visible. With the other girl I can understand it considering her short appearance, but Sal is main cast.
-The choices were rather obvious, until I got to late game and they suddenly got vague. In the beginning when I can still easily skip through they could've been a bit more exploring, while not knowing which end would do what after several new starting points wasn't really something I enjoyed.
Ahh the lowercase name thing is kind of a signature/stylistic thing I do often in things I release. :)

Sal not having a sprite came down to her never speaking to any of the other characters (or being able to) from their perspectives, so it was a bit of a stylistic choice that we kinda liked, and had her facing away in the ending to preserve a little mystery. To show Sal in other scenes would have required some more elaborate CG-style art and it kinda wasn't in the budget xD

The choices is a fair critique. As the project progressed we kinda felt that our use of choices was subverting the VN norm in a way
with what the revelation of the perspective your choices are actually coming from,
. I can definitely see your point there though.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to give our game a whirl and the critique. <3