GO! Magical Boy [new release including source files]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#46 Post by DaFool »

THAT is good news indeed :D

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#47 Post by mikey »

Congrats on the Czech translation, it comes particularly well out as a comedy in that language. I enjoyed it a lot. :P

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#48 Post by Alessio »

Thanks! The congrats I redirect to denzil, who did all the hard work. If you enjoyed the Czech version then denzil's done a good job. :)

denzil
Veteran

#49 Post by denzil »

Alessio wrote:Thanks! The congrats I redirect to denzil, who did all the hard work. If you enjoyed the Czech version then denzil's done a good job. :)
That reminds me that I got a post in the forum from a person that liked the game. I said that i tell it to you so here you come.
And I don't think of translating as a hard work - actually it's easier for me than writing. And it's quite fun. :)
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

Hudzon
Regular

#50 Post by Hudzon »

Ah, how do I get the second ending?

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#51 Post by Alessio »

The second ending would be Aina's ending. Actually that's the last question I was expecting, since I figured the choices are quite obvious. Nothing compared to mikey's stories. :-)
On the excursion day, team up with the person you want to have the ending with (in this case, Aina). Then, during the night, do not pick the "Wait until tomorrow" option. Any other is fine.
All other choices than those I just listed will alter the story a little, but do not have any influence on the ending.

Ivlivs
Veteran

Re: GO! Magical Boy

#52 Post by Ivlivs »

I must say, I do like this game. Nothing about it seemed "off" or "wrong" --- then again, the VNs I usually play are not (Japanese) "professional" ones, so I have no astronomical standard to compare it to.

Also, the first thing I thought when I saw the Shadows was "Klansmen. Run for your life." I'm positive it wasn't intended, but that is what ran through my mind.

I like how you seamlessly linked the background music from scene to scene. I'd like to know what code can do that.

The character art fit well among the photograph backgrounds. I'm not sure why; it just does.

Nice how you got mentioned in that MikroBitti magazine.

All in all, Go! Magical Boy! was an enjoyable experience.
Jitteh Dawn --- A VN by Ivlivs

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#53 Post by Alessio »

Thanks for your feedback, glad you liked it! It's nice to see that after 1,5 years somebody is still playing it. :)

No, I definitely was not thinking about Klansmen or similar. The Shadows' picture is taken from the photograph of a statue in the Valle de los Caídos (Madrid/Spain). Note I don't advocate that memorial site, just the statue looked threatening enough to use it.

The background music logic I've explained in this post. I'm planning to release a new G!MB version that includes the source code, so that everyone can have a look. The music coding is actually fairly simple, it just required a bit of thinking, smart composing, and (boring) manual work. Feel free to ask for specific details if you're interested.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#54 Post by Alessio »

Hello everyone,

After two and a half years, G!MB has now been upgraded from Ren'Py 5.4.4. to 6.8.0. (quite a jump). Thus the present release 006 *should* be compatible with Windows Vista, and at last proper Linux and MacOS versions exist, too.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/sapora/RSC/G!MB- ... 86.tar.bz2 (Linux) - edit: Checked,OK!
http://www.kolumbus.fi/sapora/RSC/G!MB-6.0.zip (Windows) - edit: Checked,OK!
http://www.kolumbus.fi/sapora/RSC/G!MB-6.0-mac.zip (Mac) - edit: Checked,OK!

Request for help: May I humbly ask if anyone with Vista/Mac/Linux could have a look whether the above distributions are working? I will then proceed to update the links on my home page, at download.com, and we can then update the version at the Ren'Ai Archives as well.

Changes in Release 006:
  • Upgraded Ren'Py from 5.4.4. to 6.8.0.
    Source files included (unobfuscated script and images)!
    Adapted game menu layout and in-screen menus.
    Corrected minor typing and continuity mistakes.
    Minor code and file cleanup.
    Rewritten part of Lara's phone dialogue.
Last edited by Alessio on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current projects: Visual Novel "Cyberlin"

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: GO! Magical Boy [new release with sources & help request]

#55 Post by Alessio »

Small update - G!MB is confirmed to work on MS Vista, thus I'll upload it to download.com. Any info about the Mac and Linux versions, anyone? Pretty please?

Spiky Caterpillar
Veteran
Completed: Lots.
Projects: Black Closet
Organization: Slipshod

#56 Post by Spiky Caterpillar »

Tested it on Debian Lenny (i386), and it works so far. Now to find a candidate guardian, assuming that the shadows don't get me.
Nom nom nom nom nom LEAVES.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#57 Post by Alessio »

Thanks, that's good news! Good luck with the candidate, you have a 50% chance to succeed! :)

ashogo

#58 Post by ashogo »

so I just finished the game (MAC version) w/ ending 3 at 85 mins. It worked perfectly for me, although I haven't tried all the branches yet.

Man, I can't believe I didn't play this game back when I was going through all the good ren'py games! This is definitely one of my favorites. I don't have much to add that the other guys didn't already say-the way the music, scenario, art and everything came together felt very pro, and great writing too(though some of the suspenseful scenes could've maybe used darker music). Nothing felt stuck in randomly, and I laughed out loud a few times-how long did it take you to come up with the storyline? (I think you mentioned it in the notes but I forgot : P) The choices, too, all felt important which is not common in the other ren'py games I played.

Anyways, it's a little late but congrats on releasing such an awesome game, I'm definitely going back to try other paths now. You aren't making any other ren'py games are you?

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#59 Post by Alessio »

Wow, thanks a lot for the compliments and the encouragement. Nice to hear G!MB is still fun to play!

The story elements were pretty clear to me already in the beginning, but figuring out the details and writing them down took about one year (bearing in mind I wasn't writing full-time). Most parts I wrote during the final four months. I have a weird way of puzzle-based writing (writing chapters in non-sequential order), so some of the in-between parts were still fairly open until the end.

Yes, I am working on a new VN (Cyberlin, see link in my signature). Currently I'm at the editing stage of the story (3 of 4 chapters edited), but it will still take a while until it's finished.

Thanks again for leaving a comment!

lydiaxlr

Re: GO! Magical Boy [new release including source files]

#60 Post by lydiaxlr »

could you help me.ima writer and an artist but i jus have no idea how to use the renpy engine ughhhhhh