What can I do?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

What can I do?

#1 Post by infel »

I just don't feel happy anymore. Lately things have been a bit of a depressing time for me and I don't know what to do. This week has been horrible...especially Thursday. I'm currently on probation due to messing up school to much. Why, well let's just say it's because of my depression...

I'm not having fun with anything anymore...not visual novels, writing, reading, or even something a simple as video games. I feel empty and lost.

This depression has been with me for a long time. It's messed me up not only in school but also my social life and visual novel making. What makes matters worse is that I seem to be getting sad over the tiniest things. Also I'm embarrassed because my teacher said I was too hard on myself since I have some serious self hate issues.

So yeah...many feelings are within me and most of them are not good. I don't know what to do anymore in truth...I really just wish this depression and anxiety would leave me alone so I can get back to my life.
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: What can I do?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

Are you being treated for your depression and anxiety? If not, you may want to get treated, there are medications that can help. If you are being treated, talk to your therapist and let her or him know that you need to adjust or change your medication.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Thirteen
Regular
Completed: A Walk in the Woods
Projects: Unamed Game
Tumblr: houseflesh

#3 Post by Thirteen »

I was in the same sort of situation that you seem to be in the last year of high school. I was so depressed that I was failing all my classes, and I'd have crying bouts for no reason. I also hated myself so much, it got to the point where I was planning suicide.

I talked to my school psychologist though and that helped a lot. She contacted my mom and basically made my mom take me to see a psychiatrist and talk therapist.
I was in talk therapy for 3 month and that really helped with my larger issues, and my psychiatrist prescribed me medication, which really got my depression and a lot of my anxiety under control.

I suggest you try to seek help from you school psychologist, and then seek medical treatment whether it be through medication or therapy. And if you are undergoing treatment I suggest you tell you therapist/psychiatrist that the plan you're doing is not helping you.

I hope you get the help you need and that things improve for you.

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games

#4 Post by infel »

trooper6 wrote:Are you being treated for your depression and anxiety? If not, you may want to get treated, there are medications that can help. If you are being treated, talk to your therapist and let her or him know that you need to adjust or change your medication.

I have, but the pills always made me tired and at times even sick. Still, I think I'll go back to them...even with the bad side affects. Just wish they didn't make me tired or sic to the stomach...

Patreon

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

infel
Veteran

#5 Post by infel »

Thirteen wrote:I was in the same sort of situation that you seem to be in the last year of high school. I was so depressed that I was failing all my classes, and I'd have crying bouts for no reason. I also hated myself so much, it got to the point where I was planning suicide.

I talked to my school psychologist though and that helped a lot. She contacted my mom and basically made my mom take me to see a psychiatrist and talk therapist.
I was in talk therapy for 3 month and that really helped with my larger issues, and my psychiatrist prescribed me medication, which really got my depression and a lot of my anxiety under control.

I suggest you try to seek help from you school psychologist, and then seek medical treatment whether it be through medication or therapy. And if you are undergoing treatment I suggest you tell you therapist/psychiatrist that the plan you're doing is not helping you.

I hope you get the help you need and that things improve for you.

Thank you =). I'm glad you were able to get better. I need to go back to medicine despite what it does to me. This depression is really making my life difficult and stressful.

Patreon

Current Projects

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#6 Post by Mad Harlequin »

If you're having trouble with your current medication, talk to your doctor. You can see about switching to another one.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

infel
Veteran

#7 Post by infel »

Mad Harlequin wrote:If you're having trouble with your current medication, talk to your doctor. You can see about switching to another one.

I should do that. I suppose I also stopped because my sister gave me a thought that I should get out of depression myself and not take the medicine. I tried and did okay, but it's always came back. Maybe I just need someone to talk to though. It actually got worse when my sister left for Germany to become a teacher. She was someone I could always talk to and helped me greatly with anxiety and depression. Sadly with her gone I don't really have anyone since my psychiatrist was really bad. Been trying to get a new one, but the process is a bit difficult....It would be really nice if my mom and certain people at school didn't say 'Get over it'. It's not something the can be easily gotten over...Hurts me when others say/think that.

Patreon

Current Projects

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#8 Post by Aviala »

I've heard that for some people the side effects of antidepressants are so bad that for them it's better to go through therapy instead. And maybe it's just me, but working through the problem without medication sounds like a better method, if possible... I'm not saying "don't take pills" because I know they can be really helpful, but some depression medication can actually make you addicted and make full recovery slower.

I hope you can find a better psychiatrist soon!

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#9 Post by Caveat Lector »

I've heard that for some people the side effects of antidepressants are so bad that for them it's better to go through therapy instead. And maybe it's just me, but working through the problem without medication sounds like a better method, if possible... I'm not saying "don't take pills" because I know they can be really helpful, but some depression medication can actually make you addicted and make full recovery slower.
Going off antidepressants, or any kind of major medication that many people need just to function from day to day, without consulting a doctor and/or a therapist is never, ever a good idea ever. Yes, it's true that antidepressants can make some people worse. But they can also make some people better. And the only person who can determine if their own antidepressants are making them better or worse is the OP themselves. I would advise the OP to talk it out with a doctor instead of just going off their meds and "working through the problem" on their own. Depression isn't something you can just easily "work through".
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#10 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Aviala wrote:And maybe it's just me, but working through the problem without medication sounds like a better method, if possible...
From what I understand, there are numerous studies on the efficacy of depression treatments that demonstrate a combination of methods (counseling and medication) works better than either medication or counseling alone. (I've done a lot of reading on the subject.) I'm not saying medication's for everyone, but at the very least, I can personally vouch for the combination approach.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#11 Post by trooper6 »

Also some forms of depression/anxiety are chemical imbalances in the brain...which just can't be "got over."
We wouldn't say to someone with cancer or TB or some other physical illness "just get over it."

Clinical depression is not the same as "just being sad." It is a serious thing.

OP, I'd say see if you can get a therapist so you can do talk therapy, and get a better psychiatrist who will work with you so you can try and get medication that works better for you and has fewer side effects. Take care of yourself.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Biomass
Regular

#12 Post by Biomass »

I've known a fair share of people with depression, and as the above posters said, sometimes you can NOT simply "get over it". It is a medical issue which you have no control over, so simply stopping your medication without consulting your doctor is not going to get you anywhere.

A friend of mine back in high school had roughly the same socioeconomic background as I did. Today, 20 years later, we are vastly different people because his depression went untreated. At the time, it was thought that the proper way to go about it was to "get over it". His parents were relatively well off, and he didn't have any great trauma as far as I know, but one day he decided to just stop caring about anything anymore. It's a dangerous disease because it doesn't show any symptoms on your body, so other people just assume you're okay.

Really this is just a +1 post cause I have no new advice to add, but I felt the need to chime in because so many people around me IRL are also depressed.

EDIT:

Actually I do have some advice. Have you considered changing your lighting? I mean the physical arrangement and type of the light sources in your room. The inexpensive light bulbs most people have give off a crappy yellow glow, but you can buy light bulbs that emit the same wavelengths as natural sunlight. Depression is often linked to vitamin D deficiency, so get more sun, sit outside whenever possible, and work in a brighter environment. On TV and anime, you often see the stereotype where depressed people will hang around in dark places, lit only by the glow of their monitors.