The last book you read or what are you reading right now?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
deliciumartis
Regular

Re: The last book you read or what are you reading right now

#136 Post by deliciumartis »

Most recently, I finished atlas shrugged, for the 3rd time. I enjoy the characters and their motivations. Next up I was thinking methuselah's children or picking up a copy of lord brocktree.

Mar.Kline
Projects: Boltout - NaNo prep
Tumblr: deadpanjumblederror

#137 Post by Mar.Kline »

I just finished Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. Excellent early-scifi read, if heavy on the infodumps at times... Stephenson really wants to show off how much he knows about Sumerian mythology. Now I've gotten into Time's Arrow by Martin Amis, which has been fantastic! It's a story told from a secondary first-person perspective (I guess is what you'd call it?), as if the protagonist's life is moving backwards. It might sound a little bizarre, but it's really neat, I promise.

tigerrenko
Regular
Projects: Partisans
Organization: Red Viking
IRC Nick: tigerrenko
Deviantart: tigerrenko

#138 Post by tigerrenko »

Codex Alera by J. Butcher, surprisinly good read...

Mogwai

#139 Post by Mogwai »

"The Slow Regards of Silent Things", by Patrick Rothfuss.

Not a big book, but a good one.

Mogwai's out.

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#140 Post by AsHLeX »

Biology. Lol.
Jokes aside, I can't actually remember.
Although I did read fifty shades of Grey recently *cough cough* no comment on that
Oh, I think it was A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. I never got around to finishing it though. Lol.
A great book/series that I really liked was Alanna by Tamora Pierce though.
By the way, since I'm already posting here have any of you guys ever heard of a book with a storyline like this? Its easily older than 6-8 years ago (because that's when I read it). Sorry if I seem to leach off this thread >_<
Synopsis:
The main character is this really good swimmer who is quite competitive with broad shoulders (lol). One day during another competition she meets another swimmer who beats her - obviously she's shocked because she has never lost before. Later she meets the girl and the other girl says about how surprised she was and that they came really close and how she's not used to losing either. Anyway, the two discover that they have a special bond or something with water. Oh and that they both have adoptive parents. Somehow or rather there's this other girl too (ehh...Kate? To be honest, I dunno) who believes that her parents are her birth parents. She meets this hot surfer who also has something in common with the sea and somehow or rather they chat and he asks her if her parents are her adopted parents. Upset, she goes home and cries and when her parents walk in on her, she tells them that a stranger tells her that she might be adopted. Her parents say something along the lines of "Oh, honey, we meant to tell you. But it doesn't matter if you're adopted or not we'll always love you." And tell her that they found her in a boat washed up by the beach (similar to what the boy told her of his story). So now the four of them somehow end up discovering a sort of utopia underneath the water where everything is perfect but nothing is fun. Everything is beautiful...there's only young people and everyone is perfectly behaved. But later after disobeying or something, they basically discover the truth that the old people are forced into inhuman conditions and labour as well as those that aren't beautiful. They talk to one of the girls and she asks them "but if everyone is allowed to live freely doesn't it get overpopulated?" One of the main girl characters from land replies "sometimes, but at least everyone is allowed to live happily".
It's a series of books (young adult) I think. Over been searching for it for years but to no avail. I've even searched though all the 100's of books on underwater on good reads but didn't find anything. It's not that popular I think? But if anyone did somehow read it before it would be a great help.

Sorry for the long post, I know I went out of topic for a bit there. Desperate people do funny things.

Thanks for reading :)

Goblin Maiden
Regular
Completed: Fest-off!
Projects: Yarn Shop Hop

#141 Post by Goblin Maiden »

I just finished re-reading "Once Upon a Marigold" by Jean Ferris. It's a light-hearted comedy-romance-fantasy book that I first found when I was in... middle-school? High-school? Something like that. XD Even though I haven't been in school for a while, I still really enjoyed it and found myself chuckling at parts. It's a nice, light read, which is exactly what I wanted when I picked it back up.
Writer, coder, audio editor
Currently prepping for Yuri Jam '16!
Fest-off [Hakuoki Fangame][Kenetic][GxB][NaNoReNo 2015]

Jasper

#142 Post by Jasper »

Hunger games by Suzzane Collins

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#143 Post by Akitsuki »

Finally finished James Dashner's The Death Cure! I have The Kill Order already but I haven't started reading it yet.

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#144 Post by kaleidofish »

I recently finished reading Giovanni's Room. It was beautiful...such a dream to read it. Now I feel bad for skipping out on reading Go Tell it on a Mountain when we had it assigned in highschool. -_- Maybe I'll go back and read that.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#145 Post by Harliqueen »

The Woodcutter by Kate Danley, a great take on old fairytales :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

jezebelthenun
Regular
Projects: Currently working on my first VN entitled "Lovely End"

#146 Post by jezebelthenun »

I recently finished Shadow of the Hegemon, which is a book in the Ender universe. I loved it, mostly because it centered on my favorite characters from Ender's Game, but also because it was just extremely good on its own.

I just started reading the first Brother Cadfael book, A Morbid Taste for Bones. So far it's slow, but interesting.
Please fill out this short VN Preference survey!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2XH6MJ8

sonorousgem
Regular

#147 Post by sonorousgem »

I just finished the Gospels! (Matthew Mark Luke John) :D
Does that count?
(I rarely read, unfortunately.)

noctos
Regular
Projects: Aeris
Tumblr: noctos

#148 Post by noctos »

I just finished a book called "Innføring i språkvitenskap" which translates to "An introduction to linguistics." I'll (hopefully) be studying linguistics from August on, so I'm doing some reading to get ahead.
Tentatively working on my first project ☆

JJupiterJump
Regular

#149 Post by JJupiterJump »

I read "Heart Shaped Box" by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son I believe) and it was... ok? Not what I expected.
I picked it up because a lot of people said it was a good horror novel, and I liked it, but it wasn't scary for me. (If anyone has a book that will scare me to death, fiction, please, haha! tell me about it! I'd love to read it!)

Miggrator
Tumblr: miggrator

#150 Post by Miggrator »

I've just finished Code Name Verity and Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein, read back to back. Code Name Verity is definitely my favorite of the two, although they're both good in their own right.

I'm also in the middle of Gertruda's Oath by Ram Oren.

I read a lot of biographies and historical fiction set during WWII. If anyone has recommendations, I'd love to hear them!