Lemma Soft Forums

Supporting creators of visual novels and story-based games since 2003.


Visit our new games list, blog aggregator, IRC, and wiki.
Activation problem? Email pytom@bishoujo.us.
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:04 am 
Miko-Class Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:00 am
Posts: 810
Location: Mountains
Organization: Autumn Eclectic
I don't know where I stand on hentai stuff myself, in the long run. On the one hand I would be "go for it guys". But official permission... I wouldn't know where to stand.

_________________


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:48 am 
Eileen-Class Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 1090
Location: Somewhere that's green
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans
Welp, I'll be brave honest and say officially I'd say no to hentai*. But if I don't actually know about it, well, there you go.

And keeping in mind the fact writers have been sued by fan fiction writers, I can't say I blame anyone for officially saying no to any and all fan work/art.

*
'Brave' because it's in my personal experience that if you say you're not into hentai/porn/sex scenes/whatever, you get mocked for it. No one on this board has actually done this to me (yet), but...8|

_________________
Anything fun is just a distraction from how much the world actually sucks.

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
Image

*Website, yo*


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:59 am 
King of Moé
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:49 pm
Posts: 2223
Location: United States
Completed: Homeward
Projects: Sunrider
Organization: Love in Space
I think the lesson I got from this is to go to law school, learn the law, and then get them prosecuted for attempted blackmail, fraud, and misrepresentation. Heh...

Warning: It is against the law to threaten anyone with criminal prosecution. Please report any and all crimes, including blackmail, to the authorities. Do not take anything I say as legal advice.

_________________
Image
Image
"A piece of warmth you can return to"
Sunrider is under construction

Discussion thread


Last edited by Samu-kun on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:03 am 
Eileen-Class Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:47 pm
Posts: 1489
Mink wrote:
Welp, I'll be brave honest and say officially I'd say no to hentai*. But if I don't actually know about it, well, there you go.

And keeping in mind the fact writers have been sued by fan fiction writers, I can't say I blame anyone for officially saying no to any and all fan work/art.

*
'Brave' because it's in my personal experience that if you say you're not into hentai/porn/sex scenes/whatever, you get mocked for it. No one on this board has actually done this to me (yet), but...8|

I could never bring myself to mock someone that displays the good taste of having Nikola Tesla as an avatar.

I'd say creators and copyright holders have to walk a fine line with hentai fanworks. Even if the creator personally doesn't mind, they can't be seen to give support either, for fear of offending fans of their work that dislike hentai. And hentai fanwork is one of those things that is likely to happen whether you want it to or not if your work is popular enough. Coming out against it would likely open up the copyright holders to mockery or even a surge in hentai fanwork, or might offend fans that DO like hentai. So really, the best response from copyright holders in that department is simply silence.

Disney learned that with the 1967 poster "Disney Memorial Orgy". (I'll let you Google Image search that if you're curious rather than linking.) At first they decided not to sue to avoid drawing attention to it, then panicked when it looked like it might become popular and sued, drawing massive attention to the fanwork anyway. I guess Disney's only saving grace on that one was how small their Princess line was at the time. :lol:

_________________


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:28 am 
Eileen-Class Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 1090
Location: Somewhere that's green
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
Mink wrote:
Welp, I'll be brave honest and say officially I'd say no to hentai*. But if I don't actually know about it, well, there you go.

And keeping in mind the fact writers have been sued by fan fiction writers, I can't say I blame anyone for officially saying no to any and all fan work/art.

*
'Brave' because it's in my personal experience that if you say you're not into hentai/porn/sex scenes/whatever, you get mocked for it. No one on this board has actually done this to me (yet), but...8|

I could never bring myself to mock someone that displays the good taste of having Nikola Tesla as an avatar.

The only people who would are probably Edison supporters. >x>
Quote:
I'd say creators and copyright holders have to walk a fine line with hentai fanworks. Even if the creator personally doesn't mind, they can't be seen to give support either, for fear of offending fans of their work that dislike hentai. And hentai fanwork is one of those things that is likely to happen whether you want it to or not if your work is popular enough. Coming out against it would likely open up the copyright holders to mockery or even a surge in hentai fanwork, or might offend fans that DO like hentai. So really, the best response from copyright holders in that department is simply silence.

I'd probably only say it if someone actually asked me. If I don't know, I won't/can't care.

Edit: actually, there's a fan fiction site I came across where J.K. Rowling asked them not to have explicit work, but was fine with their being fan fiction on it. People seemed relatively okay with that, so I guess it depends on the person if they go, "WELL I'LL DO IT ANYWAY, SO THERE." But then that could ruin it for everyone (i.e. no fan fiction whatsoever), so I don't know.

_________________
Anything fun is just a distraction from how much the world actually sucks.

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
Image

*Website, yo*


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:56 am 
Eileen-Class Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:47 pm
Posts: 1489
Mink wrote:
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
I could never bring myself to mock someone that displays the good taste of having Nikola Tesla as an avatar.

The only people who would are probably Edison supporters. >x>

Edison supporters. Nasty creatures. They're the "frat bros" of the scientific community.
Image

And now, bask in the glory that is MANGA Tesla! The Prince of Electricity!
Image
Edison, Tesla. Edison told them something as ignorant as that . . . .

_________________


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:16 am 
Eileen-Class Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 1090
Location: Somewhere that's green
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans
Manga Tesla. Huh. I guess it's less weird than Alan Moore as a moe school girl. (<--- Seriously, why does that...exist? How do you get that out of this? ...My brain hurts)

I've also realized my previous post is kind of a catch-22: someone asks, they get told no. I wouldn't tell them no if they didn't ask. The polite thing to do would probably be to ask. So...yeah. /logic I suppose it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission...? Unless it's a company that can actually sue your pants off.

_________________
Anything fun is just a distraction from how much the world actually sucks.

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
Image

*Website, yo*


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:28 pm 
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:07 pm
Posts: 23
Projects: "On Media"
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
Mink wrote:
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
Image

Oh, that's the manga by the fellow that did Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Great author. In fact, I have a theory that he and Edison may actually be the same person.

Tesla claimed to have invented an earthquake machine. The 2011 Japanese Earthquake occurred in Hirohiko Araki's home town. Araki suspiciously seems to never age. Coincidence?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:50 pm 
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:50 am
Posts: 218
Completed: http://melontastic.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... -2014.html
I can see why Disney sued the creator of that game, the artwork is just amazing. If the creator wasn't selling the game, i dont think they should have had the right to have sued them. Most japanese creators, who make fan based games usually release them as anonymous, so that the creators cannot sue them for anything. Although i have read many case's with Disney and they always win.

_________________
http://berry-melon.deviantart.com/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:39 pm 
Miko-Class Veteran

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 pm
Posts: 918
Starshine wrote:
I can see why Disney sued the creator of that game, the artwork is just amazing. If the creator wasn't selling the game, i dont think they should have had the right to have sued them. Most japanese creators, who make fan based games usually release them as anonymous, so that the creators cannot sue them for anything. Although i have read many case's with Disney and they always win.


I know there are six pages to this topic, and I don't blame you for not reading all of them. The lawsuit was a fraud, some person sent an e-mail to the game's producer, threatening to sue for $78,000. The game producer tried to contact the author of the e-mail and didn't get a response, so he contacted Disney's legal department, who didn't know anything about it. It is my opinion that, upon realizing how much trouble he could be in if Disney REALLY decided to sue (from past cases Disney lawsuits start at $1,000,000), the producer stopped production.

_________________
All of my VNs are at http://wolflore.net Some recent works on lemmasoft:
Vera Blanc and the Purloined patient http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20801
Something Strange (modern fantasy/romance) http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17127
Arnie and the Hitchhiker (vampire romance) http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15382
Poorly done hand drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:52 pm 
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:50 am
Posts: 218
Completed: http://melontastic.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... -2014.html
fleet wrote:
Starshine wrote:
I can see why Disney sued the creator of that game, the artwork is just amazing. If the creator wasn't selling the game, i dont think they should have had the right to have sued them. Most japanese creators, who make fan based games usually release them as anonymous, so that the creators cannot sue them for anything. Although i have read many case's with Disney and they always win.


I know there are six pages to this topic, and I don't blame you for not reading all of them. The lawsuit was a fraud, some person sent an e-mail to the game's producer, threatening to sue for $78,000. The game producer tried to contact the author of the e-mail and didn't get a response, so he contacted Disney's legal department, who didn't know anything about it. It is my opinion that, upon realizing how much trouble he could be in if Disney REALLY decided to sue (from past cases Disney lawsuits start at $1,000,000), the producer stopped production.


Really? so it was a fraud, yeah i only read the first page. It's a shame he stopped making the game. I know of a simuler story, a game company created fighting games from 1999-2000, but before they could release part 3, the whole plans were scrapped, and i basically think it had something to do with copyright. Plus they were selling the games. (I'ts the opposite to visual novels, which would be classed as a fighting game, plus they were using characters they didn't own, the company is shut down, but the website is still up and running.

Here is a link to another scrapped game (not a visual novel, but created by japanese people), stopped being created due to copyright, becuse they already made 1 & 2, and they were planning to make a third game, which can be seen in the logo:
http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/ro/morimoto/m ... index.html
(I know it has nothing to do with the story, but its related to copyright, and people releasing fan-made games, with characters that are not owned by them.)

_________________
http://berry-melon.deviantart.com/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:05 pm 
Miko-Class Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:30 pm
Posts: 909
Location: Creche Alpha, Treasure Island
Projects: And plenty of them!
Mink wrote:
Welp, I'll be brave honest and say officially I'd say no to hentai*. But if I don't actually know about it, well, there you go.

And keeping in mind the fact writers have been sued by fan fiction writers, I can't say I blame anyone for officially saying no to any and all fan work/art.

*
'Brave' because it's in my personal experience that if you say you're not into hentai/porn/sex scenes/whatever, you get mocked for it. No one on this board has actually done this to me (yet), but...8|


Why on earth would an otherwise intelligent person mock someone who's not into porn? I - as someone who IS into porn, this baffles me.

_________________
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:48 pm 
Eileen-Class Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 1090
Location: Somewhere that's green
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans
Because it apparently makes you a prude and that is a terrible thing.

_________________
Anything fun is just a distraction from how much the world actually sucks.

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
Image

*Website, yo*


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:20 pm 
Eileen-Class Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:31 am
Posts: 1654
Location: Illinois, USA
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft
Mink wrote:
Because it apparently makes you a prude and that is a terrible thing.


Don't worry, if anybody made fun of you for that, they'd have to make fun of me too :)

Personally I wouldn't condone or encourage H-doujinshi/fics/art of my characters, but I don't think I could bring myself to ask people not to distribute them (Unless it was being confused for the original work). I think it would become a subjective nightmare, like "Well this pairing is okay, this pairing is not" or "As long as it's drawn a certain tasteful way", etc. You can have sex scenes without being explicit, but the definition of explicit is very stretchy, and, well, in short, it's not my fault what other people do to my characters! :P

That's not to say I don't roll my eyes or feel sick when I see people writing terrible fics and making characters act entirely different, but some of my earliest stories (read: 6-8 years old) were doujinshi (of Superbook characters!) so I can at least understand.

_________________
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
Aspiring writer-artist.

by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Works in Progress
Twelve - love story of an A.I. and her programmer
PAW ★ PRINTS - Laika in the Space with Tetris


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:08 am 
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:43 pm
Posts: 11
Location: The Netherlands
It wasn't a very honorable to put someone else's character in your game and beheading him to begin with, but Mickey Mouse from Disney ? Really? They could've seen this coming.

_________________
My music


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group