End of the world and all that.

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: End of the world and all that.

#31 Post by Taleweaver »

"If the world ended tomorrow, I'd be happy. For if I wasn't happy, the world would end anyway."
- Karl Valentin, German comedian in the mid-1920s
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

Dawn of the final day -24 hours remain-

#32 Post by Lishy »

Last edited by Taleweaver on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged this into the existing Doomsday thread.
-

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#33 Post by Der Tor »

I think the media hyped this up a lot. the 21st isn't the end of the world. Nobody ever said it would be the end of the world - it's only the media and gossip that hyped it into that.

It's just that the Mayans have different measurements for time... we have years but they have units much greater - measuring thousandths of years. So it's not that on the 21st the world will collapse and aliens will invade or what not.
It's merely that in the Mayan calender a very long time period comes to close. Just like how in our calendar a year ends on the 31st. But which year wasn't followed by a new year?

PS:

I just watched this video:

And I came up with an idea for a Visual Novel :D You all know Ever17 which has a similar premise... so like you are sitting in this wine cellar turned nuclear bunker enjoying the doomsday party, not thinking of anything bad and getting drunk. When suddenly something does happen - Not the end of the world but there are loud sounds and bangs and you discover that the exit out of the bunker is blocked. Panic erupts on what happened. Some say it's the end of the world, some try to find another exit, some stay calm thinking it's just a prank. Anyway, don't you think that could be an interesting premise for a story? :wink:
Last edited by Der Tor on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#34 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

OK I'll play some SMT/Persona tomorrow, LOL !!!

(seriously, something is actually happening, but is in reality a gradual shift towards new sociocultural paradigms...)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Lilliana

#35 Post by Lilliana »

It is 10 minutes to 12-21-2012 and still everything is fine here. Will report again at 12-22-2012 ;)

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#36 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

It's 2am on the 21st in Japan, and I can confirm that the world has, in fact, ended.
It was a shame, but perhaps it's for the best.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Lilliana

#37 Post by Lilliana »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:It's 2am on the 21st in Japan, and I can confirm that the world has, in fact, ended.
It was a shame, but perhaps it's for the best.
:D

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#38 Post by dramspringfeald »

Again, this is just a friendly warning. Watch out for nutters with knives, Psychos with guns and Religious Wackos with Bombs. WE don't believe in the end does not mean they agree. Keep your asses on a Swivel and stay out of Majorly populated areas if you can. Lets try to make it Saturday.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#39 Post by Destiny »

Guys, IF we go to suspect that the world will end on friday, then we have to go by the time of the aztecs.
They lived around Mexico City. It's 13 o'clock there right now.
So we still have to wait for ~11 hours.

Just because the world did/didn't end somewhere doesn't have to mean anything xD
You can also take this page:
Time's End
You only have to subtract 2 hours (it's set on UTC-8 [California, Washington] for some weird reason, but the Aztecs lived in the UTC-6 area).

Oh yeah, in case you want to survive all this, you should watch this video.
It helps getting to know how to somehow avoid the worst:
CLICK
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#40 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Destiny wrote:Guys, IF we go to suspect that the world will end on friday, then we have to go by the time of the aztecs.
They lived around Mexico City. It's 13 o'clock there right now.
So we still have to wait for ~11 hours.
See guys? Pssh. Assuming the world would end on YOUR time frame. Those of us in the Central Time Zone get to have the end of the world arrive on the thematically appropriate 12AM, the rest of you will have to wait for breakfast, lunch, or dinner sometime. :lol:

I print flyers for a Doomsday nut and he came in yesterday to change the date of the end of the world from tomorrow to sometime in 2015. It's always somewhere over the rainbow for those guys. How much must your life suck for you center all your hopes and dreams on it blowing up? :roll:

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#41 Post by Destiny »

I will it have around 7am.
I will sit there waiting with cereals, my cats and the Majoras Mask "Last hours" music >:3

I also had a awesome teacher today.
When the lesson was finished he had a very special way in saying good-bye:
"Well, that's it for today. Happy End-of-the-World tomorrow! Oh, and just in case, we all survive: Merry christmas and a happy new year!"
We flipped tables about how awesome that was xD
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

jghibiki
Regular
Projects: Dream's Dénouement, Unannounced RPG framework, Renpy-Safe Logger
Organization: Team Anarky
IRC Nick: jghibiki

#42 Post by jghibiki »

Well we better survive; Saturday is my birthday. >:D And I was able to convince my girlfriend to go skiing with me :3

Carassaurat
Veteran

#43 Post by Carassaurat »

There was a great piece about the French village of Bugarach in the news today. Supposedly, a UFO will come to save the people there from the whole end of the world thing, and so the authorities and media expected it to be overrun by crazies hoping to survive — but barely anyone came. Now, the village is chock full of police and journalists, who, out of boredom, have started interviewing each other.

It's quite amazing how much talk there is about the 21st when nobody actually believes it.

destiny_921
Regular
Completed: Closure [KN]
Projects: The Universal Hope (writer, WIP)

#44 Post by destiny_921 »

PyTom wrote:I kind of assume that the story would not end with the end of the world, but with the world saved, by a sacrifice. And then, for everyone but the one who sacrificed himself to save the world, life goes on - and they have to deal with the aftermath. That's what I think is the interesting part - the world is about to end, and then it doesn't.

And then what happens when the girl's parents sober up?

The idea I had for the "hero story", which would just be one part of it. Half baked, as usual:
The earth is threatened by something (call it a "supernova ejection") moving at 90% of the speed of light, headed right towards earth. It was detected over a year ago, but kept quiet until a week before impact, and then all hell broke loose on earth when people find out. When it hit something - anything - the ejection will be destroyed, but in doing so will obliterate everything up to a dozen earth-radii away. It's magnetic field is strong enough to fry anything electronic for a huge distance away.

And so this story follows the person* who will lay down their life to stop it - by hand-flying something right into it. But the real story is kind of about the person't motives. I mean, "save the world" versus "don't save the world" isn't a real choice. But what might be interesting is exploring their motivation for saving the world. Do they have a family they want to save? Are they trying to get away from a past mistake? Do they want to be one of the most famous people that ever lived? Is it because there they one person who has the best shot at doing this?

I wonder if all these reasons could apply to a single person, and then it's up to the player to decide which reason they believe.

And so this person hand-flies a small craft into the ejection, 3 million miles away from earth. 9 seconds later - 1 second before it would have hit the earth - the night sky turns into day, and then grows brighter still.

But then it fades back to the night sky again, and then up pops a menu that brings you to each other story's aftermath.
* I wonder if you could tell this story without revealing the character's name or gender.
Must. Resist. Urge. To. Write.

Hmm, definitely possible. I call this character type the "general" character. I've written several pieces like this before. Sort of complicated, but it's great cause it appeals to both genders :D

I couldn't resist.... Hero story below.
Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

I spared the annoying clock a glare. I hated the repetitive sound; it was completely and utterly irritating. Usually, I wouldn't care about minor things like this but it had been a long, exhausting week. The powers-that-be were just about taking advantage of -

*ring*

Automatically, I pulled out my mobile phone and flipped it open without looking at the ID.

Male voice: Sky, get your ass over to the base. Priority 1.

Oh hell no. The esteemed General Jackson was not about to ruin my day. No way, no how.

MC: Listen, I don't give a damn about -

General Jackson: Don't make me -

MC: You wouldn't dare.

I snapped into the phone as my other hand clenched into a fist. Why the heck had I been so careless back then?

The bitter memories came back, one by one - flashing and flickering through my mind so clearly...

General Jackson: I'll see you at base.

*click*

I pulled my phone away, cursing him as the call ended abruptly.

Frustrated, I whirled around and punched the nearest wall, ignoring the pain shooting up my arm.

Slightly calmer, I pulled back my fist and grabbed my work-bag from the rack roughly.

My real name's not important. But if you want a name then call me Sky. I'm an agent of an underground organization called GUARDIANS, an elite special force dedicated to ensuring the natural order of the world or whatever they call it. I didn't really care, seeing as...

Sighing, I shook off the memories and left after locking the door.

Just another day...
On topic....I don't really believe in "The World's Ending, AHHH!" either. But I'll be extra cautious :3
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try”
– Dr. Seuss

::Completed:: Closure (KN)
::WIPs:: The Universal Hope

::Misc::
Writing Guide

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#45 Post by Hijiri »

I predict there will be a baby boom in 9 months if we all survive...
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."