Other VN communities?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

Other VN communities?

#1 Post by Greeny »

I don't quite remember when, or why, but I discovered VN's when I found Ren'Py and Lemma Soft.
I lurked at first, eventually starting and completing a project. Since that time, I've come to feel that Visual Novels call to me.

Anyways, I hear from time to time that there are other communities involved in VN making, but nobody's ever mentioned one by name and if I want to expand my audience, it'd be quite interesting to be involved with those as well.

So, can anyone throw me a bone?
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Other VN communities?

#2 Post by fleet »

Another forum is the Visual Novelty forum. http://www.visualnovelty.com/forum/
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#3 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

How open are they (and other forums) to users of different VN engines? It's pretty common knowledge that although Ren'Py has a very strong presence here, RenPyTom and the community as a whole are very accepting of other engines.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Boomsickle
Regular
Completed: Victorian Olives

#4 Post by Boomsickle »

It terms of making original content i'd say the big two are lemmasoft and novelty. There are other visual novel forums but they focus mostly on games coming out of japan and you can find those by searching "visual novel forums" on practically any search engine.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#5 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

IRC is a good place if you want to chat with other indie VN devs. Just make sure not to log out 30 seconds after logging in. A lot of people do that, and wonder why they didn't see anyone talk.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#6 Post by KomiTsuku »

There's Teacup, though it is pretty much dead, and 4Chan, if you need your daily dose of being trolled. There really aren't that many pure EVN forums out there. I think Megatokyo might have something there still. I know Fred was starting work on a Megatokyo VN using Ren'py.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#7 Post by Blue Lemma »

Megatokyo was kind of dead in the VN section last time I checked... Possibly the victim of self-destructing elitism on the part of some of the regular posters (jk... kind of.)

They pretty much only care about J-VNs anyway.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by gekiganwing »

The /visualnovels/ sub-Reddit isn't bad. At times it can get cluttered with recommendation or news threads, but you can talk about VNs written in English there with little danger of getting flamed.

Likewise, the TVTropes Visual Novels forum isn't a bad place for discussing EVNs, though only a few discussion threads tend to be active.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#9 Post by LVUER »

I know several other forums that talk about VN, but all of them are adult sites... and very explicit too (so I can't give the link). They're also nothing like LSF. They only talk about commercial JVN but most of the time, they're talking about something else. VN is a niche market anyway...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#10 Post by Greeny »

So, from going over this, there really aren't any communities of Lemma Soft's caliber...
I'm kind of disappointed.

On the other hand, woo, go us! Lemma Soft #1!
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by DaFool »

Pretty much every other VN community self-destructed from their own elitism.
Greeny wrote:So, from going over this, there really aren't any communities of Lemma Soft's caliber...

We got the girls for sure. Since with other communities, especially those that host h-games, it's so easy to walk down a dark alley and get lost.

I'd say Fuwanovel is starting to become like the LSF of JVN discussions, since it's led by a woman, even though she's kinda nuttish in her anti-copyright crusade. The atmosphere is very care bears, it's hard to believe a JVN-focused forum can be so down to earth. There are a few EVN announcements there as well, and the creators weren't driven off. It's something I can see myself joining in the near future.

Semienigma
Regular
Projects: Cerebral Hinderance: Inner Iniquity

#12 Post by Semienigma »

I was kinda wondering this myself. I had found this place by accident and love it here.
Working On:
Improving my art and my first Kinetic Novel Cerebral Hindrance: Inner Iniquity(more info coming soon)
Visit my Tumblr! to see my art

Adoxographist
Regular

#13 Post by Adoxographist »

The community itself as a whole isn't visual novel related, but tumblr definitely has itself some visual novel fans there!

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#14 Post by MaiMai »

DaFool wrote:Pretty much every other VN community self-destructed from their own elitism.
Greeny wrote:So, from going over this, there really aren't any communities of Lemma Soft's caliber...

We got the girls for sure. Since with other communities, especially those that host h-games, it's so easy to walk down a dark alley and get lost.

I'd say Fuwanovel is starting to become like the LSF of JVN discussions, since it's led by a woman, even though she's kinda nuttish in her anti-copyright crusade. The atmosphere is very care bears, it's hard to believe a JVN-focused forum can be so down to earth. There are a few EVN announcements there as well, and the creators weren't driven off. It's something I can see myself joining in the near future.
Considering the responses I saw from an eroge VN forum concerning Hinano's criticisms on the R-18 otome game Vampire Sweetie... Yeaaaahhh, I'm am super grateful for the amount of ladies we have on this forum. (You are not kidding about communities that host h-games, that path is DARK meaning I don't think they know a single thing about what a woman actually enjoys in an adult game)
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#15 Post by mugenjohncel »

MaiMai wrote:I don't think they know a single thing about what a woman actually enjoys in an adult game
Throwing all dirty thoughts and mindset out of the window leaving me with a clean slate which is perfectly safe for work...

What are the things that women enjoy in an adult game? Does it involve handsome long haired guy with mustache?... I badly wanted to know so I UNCLE MUGEN can improve the writing in my works and reach a new demographic to shamelessly promote myself provide better OELVN content for the ladies...

"POOF" (Disappears)