Rule: Use of Multiple Accounts

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Rule: Use of Multiple Accounts

#1 Post by PyTom »

The use of multiple accounts (or alternatively, the use of an account and a guest account) by the same user is generally allowed, subject to the following rules:

1) Use of multiple accounts should only be done in conjunction with game-making, or with a total break of forum identity. Using an account primarily to criticize or comment on another person's work is disallowed.

2) When choosing an alternate account name, please choose one that is a reasonable distance away from other user accounts. Using an account that has a name nearly identical to an active member is grounds for action to be taken.

3) When people choose to use an alternate account in compliance with these rules, their decision should be respected. Attempting to "out" someone acting in good faith is not allowed.

4) Generally, only a single account should be used per discussion thread. Multiple accounts should not be used to support a single position in the same thread. For example, one should not use one account to release a game, and then post a positive review of it from a second account.

Enforcement of these provisions will be at administrator discretion, and may consist of deleting messages, changing the username associated with a message, disclosing information about the accounts in question (such as the fact that they use the same IP address), and (in unlikely circumstances) bans from the site. Except in particularly egregious cases, we will wait for complaints before acting.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Topagae

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit a

#2 Post by Topagae »

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

Re: Rule: Use of Multiple Accounts

#3 Post by PyTom »

I've updated the name of this rule, and added a new clause 4.

boki46

#4 Post by boki46 »

PyTom wrote:disclosing information about the accounts in question (such as the fact that they use the same IP address)
I don't think you're allowed to do this, by law. The board's terms of agreement do not give you permission to disclose the personal details you gather from your users. Just a word of advice, this point may risk legal action. You might want to consider revising it.

Besides, an IP address does not represent that the two accounts belong to one user. It can be two - or more - different users on the same computer or network.

fortaat
Regular

#5 Post by fortaat »

Come on man, you could have identified yourself as part of Vnovel when I asked you to, or state your affiliation with them. You could have said it was a mistake. You could have apologized.
What is it with engine developers and stupid drama?
boki46 wrote:It's just that I've built this game engine, and I'm wondering if we could put it to use, by turning an assembled visual novel into a working video game - the engine was created for this purpose.
http://vndb.org/t416

boki46

#6 Post by boki46 »

fortaat wrote:Come on man, you could have identified yourself as part of Vnovel when I asked you to, or state your affiliation with them. You could have said it was a mistake. You could have apologized.
What is it with engine developers and stupid drama?
boki46 wrote:It's just that I've built this game engine, and I'm wondering if we could put it to use, by turning an assembled visual novel into a working video game - the engine was created for this purpose.
http://vndb.org/t416
That is a post I did for my friend in the early days. What does this have to do with me, anyway? I was pointing out a legal flaw in the new rules and regulations.
Last edited by boki46 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fortaat
Regular

#7 Post by fortaat »

Vnovel sells a product.
People criticize the product.
You come without stating your affiliation and defame those people, while praising the product. I asked you to state your affiliation twice, which you didn't do. When the thread didn't evolve the way you wanted, you demanded to end it.

Either you're Vnovel (which I'm tempted to think due to Pythom recent change of rules), or their friend, who has more then once acted as their marketing guy (represented them), and even identified himself as the one who created the engine.
Either way, you are not some objective user giving his opinion.

You truly think my request to state your affiliation is ridiculous? That I'm harassing you?

You don't have to open a new account, just be frank about who you are when talking about your friends' product. This would have been expected of you offline as well, so I honestly don't understand your hostility.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#8 Post by PyTom »

fortaat wrote:which I'm tempted to think due to Pythom recent change of rules
You shouldn't infer this. Please let me take care of this.

boki46

#9 Post by boki46 »

fortaat wrote:You come without stating your affiliation and defame those people, while praising the product.
Defame them? By responding to their aggressive and baseless criticism of a product I like?
fortaat wrote:Either you're Vnovel (which I'm tempted to think due to Pythom recent change of rules)...
Jumping to wrong conclusions...
fortaat wrote:Either way, you are not some objective user giving his opinion.
Yes I am biased, you hear, BIIAAASSSEDD! What difference does it make?
fortaat wrote:That I'm harassing you?
As a matter of fact you are verbally harrassing me, with your accusations and discrimination...
fortaat wrote:You don't have to open a new account, just be frank about who you are when talking about your friends' product.
This is my choice to make.
fortaat wrote:I honestly don't understand your hostility.
Can you really say that, after all the attacks you've directed at my person? Show a little respect, and you'll see my hostility change for the better.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#10 Post by PyTom »

And all this is off-topic for this thread, so please take it elsewhere. (Or better yet, don't, since you're not going to convince each other - and that's fine, there's no need to.)

boki46

#11 Post by boki46 »

Apologies, and you're right, PyTom - there's no point in arguing.

Topagae

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit a

#12 Post by Topagae »

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#13 Post by sake-bento »

This thread is outdated.

The current version of forum rules and our moderation policy can be viewed here:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =10&t=8217