Grand End [WIP] (BxG/BxB)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
sorani
Veteran

Grand End [WIP] (BxG/BxB)

#1 Post by sorani »

This is a visual novel called Grand End, though right now it's a default title and would probably change if I finish this.

Plot: A young man named Josh is invited to save and possibly marry the princess of a far away kingdom, which I call by default, Grand Kingdom. Basically he has to save this damsel in distress from a tall tower in the woods. What he doesn't know is that two other men were also invited to save the princess, both of the other men are from other distant, rivaling kingdoms, also called by default, the Light Kingdom and the Dark Kingdom. The invitation turns out to be a diversion to get these men to court with the princess!
Now Josh and the other two men, Noir and Blanc, will have to stay in the tower serving as the romanceable interests to the princess. But the princess doesn't turn out to be what the men expected her to be. What is the reason for this "arrangement" in the tower, and what secrets lie ahead when Josh is finally released from tower?
(This is the summary for Part 1 of my vn, as for summary of the whole game would be "A young man who get caught up in a war.")
Setting: There are four small kingdoms ruled by only three kings, the fourth kingdom ceased to be a kingdom and became a town, where Josh, the main character is from. (The names of the Kingdoms are so general, it's kind of funny, so I plan to change them if I manage to think up a better name for each kingdom.)

Grand Kingdom: People who were born in Grand kingdom tend to have blonde hair and light to tan skin. It is a new kingdom that was born from the oldest kingdom, the Kingdom that the main character is from. This kingdom is surrounded with trees and has a moat surrounding its city. The princess is from this kingdom.

Light Kingdom: People who were born in the Light Kingdom tend to have light hair and dark skin, tanned from the hot sun (mostly the reason why it's called Light). The Light Kingdom are eternal rivals with the Dark Kingdom and the Light Kingdom is surrounded by a large desert.

Dark Kingdom: People who were born here have dark hair and very light skin, since the sun doesn't reach the area. Surrounded by high mountains in the cold north, this kingdom is often shrouded in fog. Also eternal rivals with the Light Kingdom.

Last but not least, Olden Town, the remaining of the oldest Kingdom. This is where Josh is born, his uncle is the mayor. People here often have shades of brown hair and lightly tanned skin, mostly b/c of farm work. This town is covered by a large pretty meadow.

Characters:
Josh
Bio: A pushover, which becomes the reason why he gets dragged into the tower fiasco. He is not comfortable with people, but tries his best to socialize for the sake of socializing. Wields a pistol and probably wants to look like a cowboy.

Anastasia
Bio: The older sister of Anthony and a runaway princess of the Grand Kingdom. She is the princess that resides in the tower.
She is also recently married and very much a minor character. But I say no further or I would spoil the story.

Anthony
Bio: Prince of Grand Kingdom. He acts like a player and loves women. Also loves to prank. Battles hand to hand combat and skillful in charm magic.

Blanc
Bio: Prince of Light Kingdom. Seems nice and smiles a lot, seems suspicious...Wields a sword.

Noir
Bio: Prince of Dark Kingdom. Stern and very blunt on insults, tries to be sarcastic. Wields black magic.

Victoria
Bio: A woman mercenary of the Light Kingdom and Childhood friends with Blanc. She is cheerful and likes helping people, often beating up the bad guys. Wields a spear and staff.

Grace
Bio: A fallen noble's daughter of the Grand Kingdom. Works as a waitress in a popular cafe in the city. She is sensitive about her age, despite her height and looks. She is very independent and often lectures about wisdom that comes when growing old. She used to be Anthony's fiance.

Trixie
Bio: A cunning merchant of the Dark Kingdom. Scheming when it comes to her job and has a potion shop in the city. Childhood rivals with Noir and likes to tease him about him trying to come up with sarcastic remarks.

Gameplay
It's going to be a regular visual novel, but I plan to have a exploration function that allows the player to explore the city and kingdom, so there will be a lot of imagemaps. The paths are split into four paths, each per kingdom and two love interests for three of the paths. I plan to include three endings for each four paths or something like that, I will change it as I go along.

Though I have a full grasp of my story, I'm still skeptical about how far or percentage I have reached. I would like feedback on my project, since I'm really nervous about how the premise is viewed by other people.

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

Re: Grand End [WIP] (BxG/BxB)

#2 Post by Hayzel »

Your characters look very nice ^.^

Haha. I have a character named Noir too X3

I like the premise, I'm interested to see how the pairings work out

sorani
Veteran

#3 Post by sorani »

As for the name Noir, I really don't have anyway to describe him other than by the color of his birthplace, so it was pretty much randomly chosen.
As for pairings, the main character will meet the guys, follow them to their kingdom and meet the girls. I plan to put story first, since it will impact all the characters' lives.

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#4 Post by Hayzel »

Haha. But that's how it should be. I named my character Noir for the colors on a roulette wheel. His full name is Noirian.
How far are you along?

sorani
Veteran

#5 Post by sorani »

How far?
Right now I have completed about almost all the main character's first pose sprite, started on backgrounds, started a draft of a map, and written an outline for part 1 of the story. So I'm still in the beginning stages. But I'm busy with something else, so it won't be done that fast.

Hayzel
Veteran

#6 Post by Hayzel »

Aww man. Well I'll keep a close eye on this <3

sorani
Veteran

#7 Post by sorani »

update: I have a bg I am currently working on, still need to add some personal stuff to it b/c there's too much space.
critique?

Hayzel
Veteran

#8 Post by Hayzel »

sorani wrote:update: I have a bg I am currently working on, still need to add some personal stuff to it b/c there's too much space.
critique?
O.O! This is amazing!!!!! And remember your characters will fill in that dead space so don't worry too much! I want to steal you away and have you make backgrounds!!! <3 <3 <3 <3

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#9 Post by Camille »

This looks really interesting! (: I hope you can finish~

sorani
Veteran

#10 Post by sorani »

@Hayzel: Thanks :) Making backgrounds is hard, it takes about a day to compete one T^T I wish there was a even easier way to do bgs w/o the pain of working on them.
@Camille: I'm totally planning to finish, otherwise I'll disappoint myself again.
Last edited by sorani on Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hayzel
Veteran

#11 Post by Hayzel »

sorani wrote:@Hayzel: Thanks :) Making backgrounds is hard, it takes about a day to compete one TT^TT I wish there was a even easier way to do bgs w/o the pain of working on them.
@Camille: I'm totally planning to finish, otherwise I'll disappoint myself again.
Yeah I think I might end up having to use the free ones offered on wiki Ren;Py T-------------T

sorani
Veteran

#12 Post by sorani »

I have a question: When writing a story about a fantasy war, how realistic in terms in tactics and realism should it be? Other than political issues like finance, army size, and motives.
I feel that my story might become an info dump if I plan to include too many details or a upcoming war story may not interest many people.

Hayzel
Veteran

#13 Post by Hayzel »

Umm, there could be a third party. Someone who will take advantage of the weakened victor for their.
There is always kidnapping. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#14 Post by Camille »

sorani wrote:I have a question: When writing a story about a fantasy war, how realistic in terms in tactics and realism should it be? Other than political issues like finance, army size, and motives.
I feel that my story might become an info dump if I plan to include too many details or a upcoming war story may not interest many people.
I think it largely depends on the focus of your story. If the war is the total focus of the story, I think that you should probably go into more detail (or include a database/encyclopedia for those who want to know more). If it isn't, then you don't really need as much information, though you should still try to keep things realistic.

sorani
Veteran

#15 Post by sorani »

Hayzel wrote:Umm, there could be a third party. Someone who will take advantage of the weakened victor for their.
There is always kidnapping. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking.
Well, I'm asking if my fantasy war should be based off a real war, since just claiming that two kingdoms that were fighting for a month doesn't seem very realistic in sense.