Puella Magi Ibuki Magica (Madoka fangame, updated 11/21)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Funnyguts
Veteran

Re: Currently Unnamed Madoka Magica Fangame (RPG, Majou Shou

#31 Post by Funnyguts »

Okay, it isn't finished, but I said I'd put something out by the end of October. (Kinda.) So I'm tossing up my incomplete update on here so you guys can see it. Right now only attacks work properly (and even then some of them have issues), and enemies won't do anything to you. But hopefully you can see the changes from the last one.

I'm going to use tomorrow to make a proper flowchart of what I want to happen, instead of just winging it. That should make things go faster, and hopefully work better.
Attachments
Ibuki Magica test v3-1031-all.zip
(17.56 MiB) Downloaded 65 times

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#32 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

Totes downloading this right now. Please wait while download starts...
/人◕‿‿◕人\ And I wish that this game becomes incredibly awesome. Am I a magical girl yet?
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

Soraminako
Veteran
Projects: A thingie without a title. With messy code.

#33 Post by Soraminako »

Yay! :D The game is pretty already (I really liked the soul gem X3), and it's amazing the amount of work that must have gone into coding all that battle system.

I look forward to seeing the completed version one day! :D *cheers*
(I drew my avatar especially to express the scary feeling I get from the code as I type it... XD)

Funnyguts
Veteran

#34 Post by Funnyguts »

I might be putting up a new incomplete version each Monday now, just to force myself to keep working on it, while getting some feedback on each part I add. I'll try to have the system finished by the end of the year, hopefully. It will probably be another year after that before the actual game itself is done.

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#35 Post by Desu_Cake »

Noticed a bug: If I play the game twice, without exiting the game, it won't let me re-choose my PMs.
At a guess, you forgot to switch a flag back.

Funnyguts
Veteran

#36 Post by Funnyguts »

Alright, a new Monday, a new version. Since it's mostly adding new attacks, it isn't quite as substantial as I want it to be, but it is a good setup for future work. I decided to hold off on adding new status effects, because I plan to rework how that all goes this week. Once I finish that, I'll add a few more attacks that are purely buff/debuffs, and then move on to adding spells. I'll be starting with a spell that focuses on the character reaction system, which will cause the PMs to talk to each other about events as appropriate. As I go I'll be adding more and more reactions to different events, and hopefully it will be done in an interesting, not-annoying way. Also this week I'll be tweaking the initiative system. Right now characters can get a bonus turn if their init roll is higher than the average initiative of all combatants, but it needs some work outside that.

Get it here.

Changelog for 11-07 release:
Changes for this version include several small bugfixes, a fixed version of Mami's Wild Gunner attack, new attacks for Madoka, Homura, and Kyouko, a reworked initiative system that allows for multiple actions per turn, and a system that resets all changed stats and values at the end of a battle, so you can play a new battle without closing the game.

Funnyguts
Veteran

Re: Puella Magi Ibuki Magica (Madoka fangame, updated 11/07)

#37 Post by Funnyguts »

Update for 11/14!

Grab it here.

This version adds spells! I'm going to spend this next week rewriting the status effect system because at this point I can't put it off any longer without making it extremely obnoxious to change everything. As I go I'll add more attacks and spells, and add status effects to them as necessary. If I'm lucky the PMs will have all their attacks and spells done by next week, at which point it will be time to move on to making witches actually do things (and making familiars exist).

Oh, this update also has a 'demo' of the reaction system, where PMs will dynamically talk to each other about events that happen during a battle, which I hope will add some good atmosphere and make each battle a bit unique. (In the final game I'll probably have an option to turn them off if you don't like them for whatever reason.)

Let me know what you like, what you don't like, and if you manage to break the game!

Cinerious

Re: Puella Magi Ibuki Magica (Madoka fangame, updated 11/14)

#38 Post by Cinerious »

A PMMM game...! :D

/stalks
Perfection is the enemy of the good.

Funnyguts
Veteran

Re: Puella Magi Ibuki Magica (Madoka fangame, updated 11/14)

#39 Post by Funnyguts »

^Yay!

A new week, a new release of the game. This time the status effect framework has been set up! Some attacks now have a chance to cause status effects to your enemies. Most of the work is internal, but it should hopefully make a difference especially once you start actually fighting. I've also added a way for attacks to affect the initiative generation at the start of each turn. Oh, and witches have appropriate stats. They still do nothing, though.

I'll add and modify attacks and spells with each new release, but I'm going to stop making it the focus of the updates now, and instead work on some more substantial things. The next release will have at least one of the following:

A completely new turn system that gets rid of rounds and has a constantly updating turn order.
A system of magic points so you can't spam Tiro Finale all the time.
Familiars.

Download it here. I did my best to get rid of as many bugs as possible, but with a lot of changes I'm sure I missed some. Please let me know what you find!

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

Re: Puella Magi Ibuki Magica (Madoka fangame, updated 11/21)

#40 Post by TsukiShima »

To be honest, I have been stalking this thread in secret when it was first created, time to reveal myself.

During the first few demo, it was a complete original Magical Girls right? I thought why changed into the real cast? Yes, I'm excited to use Madoka, Homura, and Kyouko (I keep using them in the demo) but I'm also excited to see the new Magical Girls as well. Do you plan to change it later on?

I didn't get any errors for now, which is good, right? Battle system isn't really my thing, so yeah.

It's a slow progress, but it's quite fine by me. I'm willing to test every demo you'll release later on, just like what I did before xD Trust me, I did download all the demos due to Madoka's fangasm.

Funnyguts
Veteran

#41 Post by Funnyguts »

I've been using placeholder girls for now since I'm still working out what it is I want to do with the actual cast I'm planning on using for the story. Since the original five MS all have premade attacks and natures, it's a lot easier for me to test that things are working with them, and get ideas how different attacks can work with my system. I might keep Madoka and company in the final game just for fun, but they would only appear in some kind of event battle thing, and never within the story itself.

I'm glad you've been following! ^^

Funnyguts
Veteran

#42 Post by Funnyguts »

I continue to keep posting a new proof-of-concept demo each week. Why can’t I be this good with my other stuff?

Play the game here!

Changelog for the 11/28 release:

*New initiative system, removes rounds and has cumulative initiative that dynamically affects turn order
*Spells now cost MP, which is recovered at the start of each turn.
*Witches now have armor that can absorb some physical damage.
*A few new attacks and spells
*General bugfixes

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#43 Post by HikkiPanda »

you should get an artist to work on the sprites naooo o: !!!

Funnyguts
Veteran

#44 Post by Funnyguts »

I'd love to, but I'm in no rush to find someone. I'd like to feel more confident that this game is going to happen before I make anyone else do a bunch of work for it. Still, I'm not opposed to help if someone wants to offer. (Warning: I'm going to be picky about the art.)

I do have two new characters to introduce you all to! They don't have names yet, but they have basic personalities down.

First, we have a girl a year or so younger than our main characters. She's quite good at music and enjoys the simple pleasures in life. When not at school she often wears light traditional clothing. The girl is always carefree and smiling and nothing ever seems to get her down. She will happily chat with anyone for as long as they're willing to listen. As a Puella Magi, she wields a large crossbow that she can reload and fire with ease, even though she doesn't need to. She is capable of summoning multiple copies of herself, all quick and nimble, and able to attack her foes in tandem.

Second, we have the first girl's rival. She seems the opposite in all ways: bitter, silent, cold. She rarely talks, and when prompted, will give the shortest sentence possible. Since she avoids people, it's unknown what she does when she's alone. As a Puella Magi, she can control a bolt of lightning as if it was a whip. She's good at dealing damage in many different ways, but she's a bit frail and is slow when she isn't prepared for something.

Abeiramar
Regular

#45 Post by Abeiramar »

I'm not attracted to fangames but this is not the case! You're doing a great job and I'm looking forward to this game :D .
I also had lots of fun playing it even though it has no pictures. The only downside is that the attacks miss quite a lot and that can be frustrating...

I hope you find a good artist to do your characters justice. Finding a good free artist will not be an easy task though ;;