Puella Magi Ibuki Magica (Madoka fangame, updated 11/21)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Funnyguts
Veteran

Re: Puella Magi Ibuki Magica (Madoka fangame, updated 11/21)

#46 Post by Funnyguts »

^I'm trying to find the right balance for how often attacks should hit. I think that on average you should hit 75/80% of the time overall, with some attacks tending to hit more or less. Finding the right situation to use certain attacks should be key. (Making sure the trick isn't finding the one attack that works on a certain enemy and doing that over and over is also key.)

As for artists (and musicians), I'm gonna try and pay them a bit of money at some point, it's only fair that I at least make an attempt to compensate them for all the work I'm going to ask of them. If I manage to get donations from this game (which I have no idea if I will or not) I'd share some of the money.

I'm glad I'm getting you interested in the game! ^^

Funnyguts
Veteran

#47 Post by Funnyguts »

Another week, another update. Get it here.

This one isn't very exciting, it was mostly me cleaning up code. I did add familiars for you to beat up on! And at this point, the only major new thing left is making enemies fight back. That will be next week.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#48 Post by TsukiShima »

I found a bug in this one. But I forgot to take a screenshot and my traceback wouldn't open. But if I remembered well, it was saying something about clock, at line 275 (maybe) while I was using Kyouko.
I'll try to find it again.

Funnyguts
Veteran

#49 Post by Funnyguts »

I tried to replicate your error, and look through the code, but I couldn't find the problem. I don't have any variables named 'clock', so I'm not sure what's wrong there. If you can get it to happen again and provide a screenshot or traceback, that would be really helpful. Thanks for testing! ^^

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#50 Post by HikkiPanda »

just curious, what kind of style are you looking for for the sprites :D ?

Funnyguts
Veteran

#51 Post by Funnyguts »

As good quality as I can get. It doesn't have to look like it was ripped straight from the cels of the show, but anything that's well-drawn enough for people to not mind staring at throughout the course of the game will do. (Although if I can find someone who does a decent job copying Aoki-sensei's art style, especially the wideheads, I'd probably go with that.)

Funnyguts
Veteran

#52 Post by Funnyguts »

Someone on twitter checked the game out and gave me feedback. I'm posting it here so I have an easy place to grab it. (My notes are in parentheses.)

Code: Select all

Bugs?:
-After Sayaka chooses an illegal target for Peal of Selflessness (herself), she loses all "MP" and cannot choose another target. Does the act of selecting a spell for Sayaka consume MP, even though it is not actually cast?
(This is a problem. I'll make sure I move the MP consumption to after she picks a legitimate target."
-Exception sometimes occurs during Mami's Tiro Finale.
While running game code:
  File "game/magic.rpy", line 102, in script
                $ damageDealt = ((random.randint(activeChar.spirit, activeChar.sprit + activeChar.magDamage)*atkmagDamageMod)*3 + (random.randint(activeChar.mind, activeChar.mind + activeChar.preparation)*atkpreparationMod) + (random.randint(1, activeChar.spirit)* 2))
  File "game/magic.rpy", line 102, in python
                $ damageDealt = ((random.randint(activeChar.spirit, activeChar.sprit + activeChar.magDamage)*atkmagDamageMod)*3 + (random.randint(activeChar.mind, activeChar.mind + activeChar.preparation)*atkpreparationMod) + (random.randint(1, activeChar.spirit)* 2))
AttributeError: puellaMagi instance has no attribute 'sprit'
(That should be 'spirit', not sprit.)

-Exception occurred at the end of Kyouko, Mami, Homura battle with Gisela. Unknown "cause".
While running game code:
  File "game/magic.rpy", line 369, in script call
                            call dealdamage(damageDealt)
  File "game/battle.rpy", line 277, in script
                $ combatants.remove(target)
  File "game/battle.rpy", line 277, in python
                $ combatants.remove(target)
ValueError: list.remove(x): x not in list

(I thought I fixed this one, it's the result of 'overkill' and happens whenever an attack deals multiple hits on an enemy that's already dead. I'll keep working on making this not happen.)

Suggestions:
-A back button for combat menus. Scrolling up is fairly unintuitive.
(I definitely will be including one, since the scrolling up thing can cause you to do an attack over and over again, which would be bad. The scrolling up is Ren'py default, so I've kept it that way while I ignore UI stuff.)

Other:
-Decimal damage? Rifles at the Ready -> Cannon Fire on an Anthony results in 153.6333... damage. Would prefer integral damage.
(I have everything set to be rounded, but I guess it doesn't round as precisely as I thought it would.
-Wild Gunner can target the same enemy multiple times
(This is intentional. You have x number of guns to fire, it doesn't mean you have to fire at x number of targets. You can fire at the same creature x times, or fire at x creatures once, or anything in between.)
-Madoka's turn does not come up after "Distraction" is used. How long does Madoka's "Distraction" last?
(I'm still working on balancing out stats. There's nothing in Distraction that causes Madoka to not get a turn, but there are actions that can make the time between a unit's turn be longer or shorter. I'll find a way to give the player some indication on what affects turn order.)
-There's tons of moves! Are there moves that essentially do the same thing? Maybe add descriptions to help distinguish moves from each other?
(I plan on having tooltips or something that display descriptions when you hover over an action. For now, there are descriptions at the beginning of the game. Say 'no' when asked if you've played this before. I'll probably change it next time.)

Random:
-"Self Sacrifice" doesn't actually kill Kyouko.
(It isn't meant to. Having an attack that would off a character when death is permanent would mean no one would use it. It only makes it a lot easier for enemies to kill her.)
-"Hug Amy" does nothing.
(It isn't supposed to do anything but be silly, and give an example of how the characters will talk among each other in battle. (Don't worry, I'll have an option to turn it off.))

Funnyguts
Veteran

#53 Post by Funnyguts »

Hey guys. Due to frustration, a death in the family, and some particularly hard code, I don't have a release update ready. I could just have the enemies attack randomly like I used to, but that would be pretty pointless and a waste of your guys' bandwidth and time.

Here are some random bits of info to prove I've worked on something:

*There will be at least 10 witches to fight.
*One of the three remaining PMs I have yet to introduce you to is a young girl who specializes in healing and assisting her friends. No, she's not Yuma. Even though she's young, she's pretty smart and mature and hates being treated like a child.
*The city the game is set in will probably be based on Singapore, or something close to it. I want to juxtapose Mitakihara's strange architecture with some of the green initiatives that Singapore is planning to take.
*The second of the three remaining PMs is a incredibly chatty, gossipy girl who seems to be able to get on good terms with anyone.
*Like all good magical girls, Ibuki will have to balance keeping up a normal life with her duties to protect the city. I will try to make this part fun and meaningful and not boring.
*The final PM is a blunt, somewhat crude girl who prefers to fight with her fists, or whatever is nearby.
*I will probably force the player to become a PM at some point. The game doesn't make much sense otherwise. Sorry!
*There will be two different save systems: The standard Ren'Py system where you get to save wherever (except during battles), and one that only lets you save when you take a break from playing, preventing you from redoing your mistakes. I recommend trying the second one for at least your first playthrough, and then see how you can do things differently afterwards.

Uh, anything else you want to know?

Funnyguts
Veteran

#54 Post by Funnyguts »

It took a month to get the time and motivation to get on this, but there's a new update. The witches fight back now. Enjoy!

Funnyguts
Veteran

#55 Post by Funnyguts »

I'm behind on coding again, but that's kinda okay because I'm ready to start posting more detailed character bios! I think I have all the characters set as I'd like them, although I may end up changing everything about a character on a moment's notice. Here's the first bio, for the PC:

Haruka Ibuki, age 15

Background: Ibuki has had a plain life for these past 15 years. She first met her best friend Ichiko when she was about 2, and has no memories before the meeting. Since Ichiko has always been part of Ibuki’s life, Ibuki has begun to look up to Ichiko as a sort of big sister. Ibuki herself doesn’t have any siblings, and her parents are lax enough to leave her alone most of the time. As Ibuki grew up, her responsibilities naturally increased, but Ichiko’s increased quite a lot more. She tried to help Ichiko with student council duties, but she was rarely noticed by the other members and ended up leaving. She now doesn’t see Ichiko as often as she likes.

Personality: While not shy, Ibuki lacks presence. She tends not to be noticed by people, but she doesn’t take too much offense to it. She does get upset on occasion that she so rarely gets to see Ichiko, but knows that Ichiko has her own things to take care of. When given the chance, Ibuki will be quick to help out someone in need. She’s a decent cook, diligent worker, and occasionally polite to a fault. She’s one to keep her stuff reasonably organized. Ibuki’s biggest fault is often the ease with which she’ll give up what she wants for someone else, even when she shouldn’t.

Appearance: Ibuki is a little shorter than average. She has short blue hair that she ties in twintails with light blue ribbons. Her eyes are a deep, calming blue. She tends to position her body as to not take up too much room, and her smiles and frowns are subtle and gentle.

Tell me what you think! I'm probably going to make another effort to start seeking people to help with character design, some story planning and proofreading, and other stuff I'll need help with, once I figure out exactly what those things are.

peppertsuki
Completed: The Reject Demon Toko, Lluvia de Peces
Projects: Elysian Days, The Menagerie, Dizzy Hearts
Tumblr: peppertsuki

#56 Post by peppertsuki »

Hey, everyone! I'm the new account of that person who made this thread a few years ago. Ibuki Magica isn't quite dead, but it's run into a lot of issues and I'm tired of waffling on it for what is approaching four years of work. I've decided to turn this into a collaborative fiction piece, where everyone can help submit the next scene of the story. I'm still working out the details, but I hope that those people who are still interested in what I was working on follow me to see what Ibuki has become. (And if you were here for a Magical Girl RPG, don't worry, I'll be working on one next year, and it's gonna rock.) It will likely be hosted on Tumblr or Dreamwidth (I'm still deciding how best to do it), meaning it will not be a visual novel and therefore something that I'm not going to promote heavily on this site. But since it started out as one I feel I should at least update you as to where this is going. (And who knows, maybe once the project is complete I'll stuff it into Ren'py.)

Ibuki Magica, the Puella Magi Madoka Magica collaborative fanfiction, will start on January 6, 2015. Look forward to it!