Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
cosmo
Regular
Projects: | ZUKUNFT | Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play (WIP version 0.1) |

Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play

#1 Post by cosmo »

This is a first demo of
Wayang Kulit - A shadow play for Ren'Py!

Downloads of the demo version 0.1 ("Proof of Concept" from October 2011):
All platforms in one file: http://www.mediafire.com/?g0x811j2olfegu4
Windows: http://www.mediafire.com/?zbq82bityez6qsz
MacOS: http://www.mediafire.com/?ob56lats4jjihvf
Linux-x86: http://www.mediafire.com/?p16hggcrkk48af2

Hint: There may be even major changes in a next release.

The play is still short and currently contains 74 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 762 words,
for an average of 10.3 words per screen.
The game contains 0 menus.

The story uses partly a Wayang Kulit style of the Indonesian region with black silhouettes in front of an illuminated screen. It is currently a proof of concept demo… That I would love to get some feedback for! :)

Setting: In a valley in a unspecific time a smart boy with no experience gets on his way. On his way he will hopefully face unexpected adventures in his future…

Here we have a first version of a "hero to be": Budianto, the main character of the story.
Budiantos appearance may change in the future…

Enjoy! :)

---------------------------------------

Current Work In Progress status (not available in the current download):
Updated: 2011-11-03

Working on the next scene that may have an influence on changing the current scene as well.
The next scene will contain some playable elements.
The name of the game will most likely be changed.

Done so far:
* Background graphics improvements (the valley) - added and worked on details. The valley looks more complete now.
* Rough plan of the next scene. It currently should become a bit spooky.
Last edited by cosmo on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:58 am, edited 10 times in total.
Project: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play
Status: First demo version "Proof of Concept" of my first project is out.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

Re: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play [currently PROOFREADER need

#2 Post by TsukiShima »

OMG!! This is so unique, I would never expect this in a hundred years. Wayang Kulit is a tradition in my place as well, as Indonesia and Malaysia shares past history together. Heck, we were once one country a long time ago.

I'm a bit curious, is it popular at your place as well? If not, how did you know?

I definitely play this when it is finally release, I'll wish you all the best with this!

cosmo
Regular

#3 Post by cosmo »

Hi!

This is great as a very first feedback! :) Thank you very much!!
As you can see by the word count it is currently a very small project still… and I won't release a demo version before someone takes a look at my language. ;)

As for your curiosity:
I love the style! It is not popular here, but in the town where I live there is some connection to Indonesia. At least there is a museum. They also have old shadow puppets I think and also an orchestra. Which is rare in Europe as far as I know.

I wanted to do something with Wayang Kulit instead of Manga for my very first project. I think that I love the atmosphere of the play. And I do love the artificial style. :)

And for the game: There is still a lot that can be improved!! :oops:

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#4 Post by JustAnotherMe »

WOW There's someone making a game based on wayang! I'm Indonesian but I don't really like wayang. Don't wanna make d pics coz of too much decoration. But I think that u'r amazing! Selamat berjuang!! :lol:
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

cosmo
Regular

#5 Post by cosmo »

JustAnotherMe wrote:WOW There's someone making a game based on wayang! I'm Indonesian but I don't really like wayang. Don't wanna make d pics coz of too much decoration. But I think that u'r amazing! Selamat berjuang!! :lol:
;) Let's see what will come out of a Ren'Py version of Wayang Kulit!

One of the reasons that I aimed for a trial with Wayang Kulit is that Wayan Kulit and Ren'Py share same basics:
Ren'Py is a 2D gaming engine … and Wayang Kulit has a 2D theater style. I think everything else may be in the hands of the maker. I won't be able to produce a traditional legend, but maybe a more simple or personal story. I'd love to see someone doing a Wayang Kulit SciFi though ;)

I'm still thinking about proper and better ways to do what I started.

Thanks for your input!
Enjoy!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play [currently uploading]

#6 Post by PyTom »

That's... really interesting. I look forward to seeing what you make.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

#7 Post by tuna_sushi »

JustAnotherMe wrote:WOW There's someone making a game based on wayang! I'm Indonesian but I don't really like wayang. Don't wanna make d pics coz of too much decoration. But I think that u'r amazing! Selamat berjuang!! :lol:
true that :wink:

cosmo
Regular

Re: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play [currently uploading]

#8 Post by cosmo »

PyTom wrote:That's... really interesting. I look forward to seeing what you make.
Thank you! :)
I hope that I won't disappoint you that much!! :oops: - But better have a look at yourself! :)

The version for all platforms is up (see first post). I hope to add more versions soon if the uploads works (connection is a bit shaky currently)…

tuna_sushi wrote:
JustAnotherMe wrote:Selamat berjuang!! :lol:
true that :wink:
Uh! I didn't ask! But now tuna_sushi even quoted it!! :D Could someone please translate these words above for a poor European guy?

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play

#9 Post by LVUER »

The equivalent of "Selamat berjuang!" would be "Good luck" or "Godspeed" in English (it's not really accurate but I don't really know other words). The encouragement words that people usually say to the people who will do something great. The Japanese equivalent should be "Ganbatte!" or "Chiayo!" in Chinese.

If I want to translate it, perhaps it would be "Fight!!!"
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#10 Post by Omnificent »

This is very unique and I like the execution thus far. While there are a few grammatical errors, they don't detract from the feel of the story.

Is this an existing myth?
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by TsukiShima »

I have tried the demo, I must say that everything is going smooth so far, the way you put the text to where it can be read clearly is smart ^^ It didn't ruin the background, and the font was good too. I can't say anything about the music, because I was on mute.
I'll look forward for more!

cosmo
Regular

#12 Post by cosmo »

Thank you very much for your posts!! :)
LVUER wrote:The equivalent of "Selamat berjuang!" would be "Good luck" or "Godspeed" in English (it's not really accurate but I don't really know other words). The encouragement words that people usually say to the people who will do something great. The Japanese equivalent should be "Ganbatte!" or "Chiayo!" in Chinese.
If I want to translate it, perhaps it would be "Fight!!!"
ah! :) Very nice! Thank you! I'd like to fight and win this match! :D
Omnificent wrote:Is this an existing myth?
Thank you for trying and feedback!! – No. It is not an existing myth (so far ;) ). I really would love to do something with these great existing historical characters… but actually: I am not familiar enough with the old legends currently. I was also told that the original Hindi legends often have local influences that maybe should better be made by someone who knows what he does. :) Well, but I definitely will have an eye on original legends. The starting scene actually begins in at the hermitage because that seems to be a traditional beginning. Let's see! I am in fact excited by myself how story and style will develop… :)
HanaMori wrote:I have tried the demo, I must say that everything is going smooth so far, the way you put the text to where it can be read clearly is smart ^^ It didn't ruin the background, and the font was good too. I can't say anything about the music, because I was on mute.
I'll look forward for more!
Ah, cool! Thank you HanaMori! :) So far I am happy about the font, too. :) It's the Gentium font. I wonder how it will fit in the future. I am currently trying to improve the valley. In the next version there should hopefully be more details able to be discovered… And editing the valley also means to keep the text in mind… Yes.

cosmo
Regular

#13 Post by cosmo »

uhm, JustAnotherMe… I don't know if you follow this thread … but as author of the game I am highly interested in what is it that you do not like so much on Wayang Kulit. For example:
* Is it because it is traditional?
* Is it because you don't like the music?
* Is it just a personal thing because of special memories?
* Is it because you just love different things currently??
* Is it because the stories are not what you like? / Or the festivals? / Or the people you have been together with during a play??

Sorry, these questions came just later on into my mind. Some questions sound personal. My highest interest is in getting a general impression. You know: sitting here in another part of the world I only have a personal idea of Wayang Kulit and would love to know more about how it is accepted and popular in your region (As well in Malaysia and other possible regions :) )

' hope to hear more :)

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by TsukiShima »

You're always welcome, I truly hope you can go far with this.

To be honest, in my place, youngsters doesn't really appreciate these kind of arts anymore, perhaps they thought of this as boring and waste of time. While technology is going up, they forgotten the their own tradition. But of course, it is not all of them. The seniors still do the Wayang Kulit play here, only it is rare, while it doesn't attract the people of the country itself, it attracts tourists a lot.

When I heard it from my friends, they say that it is too slow for them. And it is becoming an ancient talk and way. People these days like upbeats musics, so they say. They prefer watching cool movies rather than this. I guess, that's the world today.

It has become something traditional thing at my place, and the country do appreciate it more. Sadly, most of the older people are the ones handling the play. I do know how difficult it really is to control so many characters in one time, thus, talents and knowledge are needed.

I don't know if I make sense, but I said all of that due to interest. Have a nice day!

cosmo
Regular

#15 Post by cosmo »

Thank you very much for your point of view, HanaMori! Everything like this is currently very welcome!
HanaMori wrote:To be honest, in my place, youngsters doesn't really appreciate these kind of arts anymore, perhaps they thought of this as boring and waste of time. While technology is going up, they forgotten the their own tradition. But of course, it is not all of them. The seniors still do the Wayang Kulit play here, only it is rare, while it doesn't attract the people of the country itself, it attracts tourists a lot.
Yes, I was assuming that this may be a case. Just my own point of view: What Japan has in Manga style you already had hundreds of years before. It is unique and the art is well developed!
I know that this tourist thing can also really kill the mood!! :D It's just as it is. Maybe it can also help to keep some roots…
But what I've seen and heard so far, there are puppet player who try to include contemporary items. I've heard about Batman being part of a Wayang Kulit play for example ;)

Doing "Wayang Kulit" with Ren'Py won't be real Wayang Kulit anymore. You can't simulate the feelings of a gathering of a family or a true live performance. It's just something that is somehow connected to shadow play. But it is hard to do the real feeling. And it's just a try. Additional I'm maybe not the most skillful person to do it!! :D
When I heard it from my friends, they say that it is too slow for them. And it is becoming an ancient talk and way. People these days like upbeats musics, so they say. They prefer watching cool movies rather than this. I guess, that's the world today.
Two things: First - During some research I found a picture from a Wayang Kulit animation movie. It seemed to have lots of martial arts. Do you – or maybe anyone have the name of that movie?? I am highly interested of course! :) Second: Some things will be difficult to realize with Ren'Py. From what I saw so far some players use kind of a dance with their hands to move the puppets (for example during fights). These fluent motions are maybe not so easy to do. There are other ways like zoom that I used which is not possible in a theater play ;) It will be a question how one can keep the interest high during a Ren'Py animation. I tried to begin also very slow… to have some open possibilities later hopefully! ;)

Mentioning the upbeat music: This may be an option later in the play. But it must fit somehow. I can not promise it :)

In my own country puppet plays are mostly connected to be for little children. There is also a special style of play. Of course there are wonderful plays for a mature audience that are clearly not for children. You find them sometimes in big cities which have more than one or two theaters.
It has become something traditional thing at my place, and the country do appreciate it more. Sadly, most of the older people are the ones handling the play. I do know how difficult it really is to control so many characters in one time, thus, talents and knowledge are needed.

I don't know if I make sense, but I said all of that due to interest. Have a nice day!
Thank you!