Magic: The Gardening - a potion brewing simulation

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

Magic: The Gardening - a potion brewing simulation

#1 Post by leon »

• Official website:
    (not yet)
  • Download:
    The mock-up demo has been taken down until the next release.
  • Description:
    Magic: The Gardening is a simulation of gardening and potion brewing.
  • Characters:
    Baldric Sagenam is a hero, but only by accident. He is a former cook, that gets forced into becoming an alchemist's apprentice.

It seems like destiny doesn't like Baldric and Baldric doesn't like destiny.
  • Features:
    • mixing potions: potion making is done in two ways. If the player has the recipe for the potion, they can just select it from the menu. If the recipe hasn't been discovered yet, the player must experiment, by combining 3 ingredients. Once a new potion has been invented, the recipe is added to the game menu. There are only a couple of recipes in the game, the rest must be discovered. You may want to keep a pen and paper at hand. ;)
    • growing plants: as magical ingredients, available in the shops, are quite limited, you are required to grow your own plants. For example: the shops sell clover seeds, but not clover. In order to create potions that require clover, you must first buy the seeds, plant them, then harvest the clover.
  • About Us:
    Sprite art: Cinerious, Jaypee_1
    BG art: Leon, Jaypee_1
    CG art: Jaypee_1
    Writer, editor: Wyldstrife, Cinerious
    Plot writer: Leon
    Programmer: Leon
  • Updates:
    Cinerious, jaypee_1 and Wyldstrife are now on the team. Working to create a new version.
Attachments
New system for plant growing.
New system for plant growing.
Last edited by leon on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Aiurax
Regular
Projects: Becoming Wishful

Re: Magic: The Gardening - a potion brewing simulation (demo

#2 Post by Aiurax »

It still needs a bit of work. And it might help if there was a little more guidance at the beginning.

I would not say that this was a poor attempt. It is rather good for your first try :)
You still have a-ways to go. And I would be willing to help.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#3 Post by jack_norton »

Is nice as first attempt, and is fun because I just started yesterday a project like that, potion making in a magic shop!! But I don't have raising pets or other features, I want to keep it simple :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest

#4 Post by leon »

Thanks for checking it out! :) I haven't done much to polish it yet. It's really just a concept right now.

I would like to include a lot more options, what you can do with the potions you create and have this integrated into the story. Drinking the aging potion for example, makes you old, which should change the dialogs you previously had.

@Aiurax:
Here's a few starting tips:
1. At start the only potion you know how to make, is the healing potion. All you need is some beans and you can make one.
2. If you need a little money, got to sleep - you will earn a few coins. If you have the healing potion in your inventory, when you go to sleep, it will be sold for 50 coins - that's how you make the money! When you sleep, 12 hours pass. Plants and creatures grow only when time changes from night to day.
3. Growing plants takes 10 days. If you use a fertilizer potion the time is divided by 2 (5 days, if you use it at 10 days). You can use the fertilizer potion more than once...
4. Once you buy the nest you can hatch a chicken. A chicken gives you 2 eggs every day. 2 chickens give you 1 egg every day. I think golden chickens are bugged. :(
5. There's no end condition. If you've been to the temple and have the scarecrow, consider the game won.

I could really use any sort of help, from tips to content. I would like to work on the story first and then work on finalizing the sim part. Any tips on the story? Maybe a new plot idea?

Aiurax
Regular

#5 Post by Aiurax »

The 12 hour pass. Is there anything happening at night? Maybe you could incorporate a festival or have some quests to do, whilst waiting for the 10 days to be up? Rather than just sleeping for 10 days. Or maybe (because of the quest idea) have a certain amount of things people could do in a day before they needed to sleep?
I don't want to change your story at all, it's YOUR story, these are just a few ideas I've been mulling over and I thought you might be interested.
I mean there's already an awful lot happening in your game, what with the missing brother, the temple, the bean-selling woman, raising animals and growing crops.
I was just thinking of the things that could be done during the time that it takes the crops to grow.
(I think I remember that the Protagonist is the Royal dung collector before this? Maybe build on that. Maybe Royalty want their dung collector back? Loads of ideas. Sorry)

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#6 Post by DragoonHP »

Noticed some bugs:

While saving...

Code: Select all

While running game code:
PicklingError: Can't pickle <type 'module'>: attribute lookup __builtin__.module failed

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\execution.py", line 261, in run
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\ast.py", line 630, in execute
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\python.py", line 974, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "renpy-6.12.0-mainline/common/_layout/screen_load_save.rpym", line 17, in <module>
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\ui.py", line 236, in interact
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 1656, in interact
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 2230, in interact_core
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\display\layout.py", line 711, in event
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\display\layout.py", line 711, in event
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\display\screen.py", line 297, in event
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\display\layout.py", line 174, in event
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\display\layout.py", line 174, in event
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 623, in event
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 204, in run
  File "common/00screen.rpy", line 1046, in __call__
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\loadsave.py", line 157, in save
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\loadsave.py", line 46, in dump
PicklingError: Can't pickle <type 'module'>: attribute lookup __builtin__.module failed

Windows-post2008Server-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.12.2.1531
Magic: The Gardening 0.0

and while closing, a log error is generated...

Tue Oct 11 13:04:08 2011
Windows-post2008Server-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.12.2.1531
Magic: The Gardening 0.0

Windowed mode.
Screen sizes: virtual=(800, 600) physical=(800, 600)
Vendor: 'Intel'
Renderer: 'Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset'
Version: '2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2104'
Display Info: <VideoInfo(hw = 0, wm = 1,video_mem = 0
	     blit_hw = 0, blit_hw_CC = 0, blit_hw_A = 0,
	     blit_sw = 0, blit_sw_CC = 0, blit_sw_A = 0,
	     bitsize  = 32, bytesize = 4,
	     masks =  (16711680, 65280, 255, 0),
	     shifts = (16, 8, 0, 0),
	     losses =  (0, 0, 0, 8),
	     current_w = 1366, current_h = 768
>

Extensions:

GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1
    GL_ARB_color_buffer_float
    GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float
    GL_ARB_depth_texture
    GL_ARB_draw_buffers
    GL_ARB_draw_instanced
    GL_ARB_fragment_program
    GL_ARB_fragment_shader
    GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB
    GL_ARB_half_float_pixel
    GL_ARB_half_float_vertex
    GL_ARB_multitexture
    GL_ARB_occlusion_query
    GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object
    GL_ARB_point_parameters
    GL_ARB_point_sprite
    GL_ARB_shader_objects
    GL_ARB_shading_language_100
    GL_ARB_shadow
    GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp
    GL_ARB_texture_compression
    GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc
    GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
    GL_ARB_texture_env_add
    GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
    GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar
    GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
    GL_ARB_texture_float
    GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two
    GL_ARB_texture_rectangle
    GL_ARB_texture_rg
    GL_ARB_transpose_matrix
    GL_ARB_vertex_array_object
    GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
    GL_ARB_vertex_program
    GL_ARB_vertex_shader
    GL_ARB_window_pos
    GL_ATI_separate_stencil
    GL_EXT_abgr
    GL_EXT_bgra
    GL_EXT_blend_color
    GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate
    GL_EXT_blend_func_separate
    GL_EXT_blend_minmax
    GL_EXT_blend_subtract
    GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint
    GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
    GL_EXT_draw_buffers2
    GL_EXT_draw_range_elements
    GL_EXT_fog_coord
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
    GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
    GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil
    GL_EXT_packed_float
    GL_EXT_packed_pixels
    GL_EXT_rescale_normal
    GL_EXT_secondary_color
    GL_EXT_separate_specular_color
    GL_EXT_shadow_funcs
    GL_EXT_stencil_two_side
    GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
    GL_EXT_texture3D
    GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
    GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp
    GL_EXT_texture_env_add
    GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
    GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
    GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
    GL_EXT_texture_rectangle
    GL_EXT_texture_sRGB
    GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent
    GL_EXT_texture_swizzle
    GL_EXT_transform_feedback
    GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat
    GL_NV_blend_square
    GL_NV_conditional_render
    GL_NV_texgen_reflection
    GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap
    GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp
    GL_SGIS_texture_lod
    GL_WIN_swap_hint
Number of texture units: 8
Number of clipping planes: 6
Using shader environment.
Using copy RTT.
GL test mode: auto
Frame drawn at 0.000000 seconds.
Frame drawn at 0.014000 seconds.
Frame drawn at 0.017000 seconds.
Frame drawn at 0.020000 seconds.
Frame drawn at 0.027000 seconds.
It took 0.027000 seconds to render 5 frames.
Frame drawn at 0.037000 seconds.
It took 0.023000 seconds to render 5 frames.
Frame drawn at 0.049000 seconds.
It took 0.032000 seconds to render 5 frames.
Frame drawn at 0.057000 seconds.
It took 0.037000 seconds to render 5 frames.

Fullscreen mode.
Screen sizes: virtual=(800, 600) physical=(1366, 768)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\execution.py", line 261, in run
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\ast.py", line 630, in execute
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\python.py", line 974, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "renpy-6.12.0-mainline/common/_layout/screen_load_save.rpym", line 17, in <module>
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\ui.py", line 236, in interact
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 1656, in interact
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 2230, in interact_core
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\display\screen.py", line 297, in event
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 623, in event
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 204, in run
  File "common/00screen.rpy", line 1046, in __call__
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\loadsave.py", line 157, in save
  File "C:\Downloads\Magic The Gardening-win32\renpy\loadsave.py", line 46, in dump
Deallocating textures.
Done deallocating textures.
About to quit GL.
Finished quit GL.

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by leon »

@Aiurax:
Actually I would mind dumping the whole missing brother thing for a better plot. It's not like I have some clever twist planned or something. ;)

Yes, I was going to implement some day/night specific events. Initially the ruins would turn into temple at night. The only reason that I included this is because most of the backgrounds have a matching night version. The long wait is bad balancing. I was thinking of implementing a simple battle system or another way to make some extra money. If you could afford the ingredients for the fertilizer potions, you wouldn't need to wait much, since you could just stack the fertilizers.

Thanks for the tips. Quests, would certainly make things interesting.

@DragoonHP:
Thanks for finding this out. It happens on my computer too, when trying to save. I'm too new to Renpy, to know what it means or how to fix it... This is most likely because of some code I copy pasted for effects. I'll try removing some parts of it.

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#8 Post by DragoonHP »

Mind me... but I looked through your code (a bad habit of mine... sorry...) and found out what was causing the pickling error...

Here's the original code...

label start:
    $ coins = 5
    $ garden = []
    $ potion = []
    $ hatchery = []

$ items = ["3-leaf clover", "egg"]
    #$ items = ["beans","3-leaf clover","dungbombs", "aging potion"]
    #$ items = []
    $ daynight = 1
    $ nanobi_introduced=0    
    $ drunk = 0
    $ shop_first_visit = 1
    $ seen_ruins = 0
    $ have_potion_alco = 0
    $ beans_growing = 100000
    $ clover_growing = 100000
    $ rude_growing = 100000

$ chicken_hatching = 100000    
    $ chicken_egg_laying = 100000

# random
[b][u]    $ import random
    $ ran = random.randint(1, 4) [/u][/b]

init python:   
    showitems = True

def display_items_overlay():
        if showitems:
            inventory_show = "Inventory: "
            for i in range(0, len(items)):
                item_name = items[i].title()
                if i > 0:
                    inventory_show += ", "
                inventory_show += item_name
            ui.frame()
            ui.text(inventory_show)
    config.overlay_functions.append(display_items_overlay)
Notice the bold underline code... that's our culprit because you are using a python module here without telling Ren'Py to treat it like that... (init python:)...
So when the player tries to save, Ren'Py can't append that data to the save file and gives back the pickling error...

Now in the first place, I don't understand why would you need to import another random module when you have already imported one before...

init:
   transform transpa:
        alpha 0.5
   python hide:
        def gen_randmotion(count, dist, delay):
            [b][u]import random[/u][/b]
            args = [ ]
            for i in range(0, count):
                args.append(anim.State(i, None,
                                       Position(xpos=random.randrange(-dist, dist),
                                                ypos=random.randrange(-dist, dist),
                                                xanchor='left',
                                                yanchor='top',
                                                )))
            for i in range(0, count):
                for j in range(0, count):
                    if i == j:
                        continue
                    args.append(anim.Edge(i, delay, j, MoveTransition(delay)))
            return anim.SMAnimation(0, *args)
        store.randmotion = gen_randmotion(5, 5, 1.0)
And a suggestion, put all the init code and python code in a single init...
It makes the code look pretty... and everyone likes pretty things ^.^...

EDIT: Damn... the code tag won't let me use the bold and underline feature...

And I'm preety sure that the code which you have put in the start label will go into init...

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by leon »

DragoonHP wrote:Mind me... but I looked through your code (a bad habit of mine... sorry...) and found out what was causing the pickling error...

Here's the original code...

(snip)

Notice the bold underline code... that's our culprit because you are using a python module here without telling Ren'Py to treat it like that... (init python:)...
So when the player tries to save, Ren'Py can't append that data to the save file and gives back the pickling error...

Now in the first place, I don't understand why would you need to import another random module when you have already imported one before...
Actually I didn't notice that, as I copy pasted some parts from the cookbook. Anyhow, the import from that part of the code didn't work for the rest of the script, so I added another "import random", this time under init label
And a suggestion, put all the init code and python code in a single init...
It makes the code look pretty... and everyone likes pretty things ^.^...
I agree. It's just that I've been copy/pasting random snippets, without understanding the difference between renpy and python.
EDIT: Damn... the code tag won't let me use the bold and underline feature...

And I'm preety sure that the code which you have put in the start label will go into init...
That makes sense... It's what I would expect from the code tag - leave the formatting alone, god knows what code you are using. You could be explaining BB codes... ;)

Regardless, I can see what you meant. Thanks for fixing it! :)

I updated the game with the bug fixed. I also added a few new (wip) features:
- I made various changes to the story. Mainly to the intro. The protagonist gets almost completely naked during the intro now. :D
- Added some guidance for potion mixing and a short quest
- Clothing store - in town - you can't buy anything. It's just a dress-up for now.
- Combat/spells - triggered in the forest - there's no actual combat yet, just a system to cast spells

Aiurax
Regular

#10 Post by Aiurax »

I'm happy that I could help in the idea department.
Just give me a bell when you upload the new link, I'll be glad to play it again.

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by leon »

Actually, the new version was already uploaded when I posted earlier. Just use the links from the first post.

I just updated again - I added a couple of new backgrounds (replacing the library and laboratory) and a new quest (starts on day 2).

Aiurax
Regular

#12 Post by Aiurax »

OH. Well I just played through it. The first quest with the woman was good. I take it I did have to sleep to give it to her? Maybe Wackford could have made it, gone outside to give it to her, try to chat her up; and fail? It'd just be a ploy on 'wizards get all the girls'. Just a thought to try and get an end to the quest. You could even do a dramatic 'QUEST ACCEPTED' text and music after she asks you. But I am just assuming you'd want comedy to be a key theme? Due to the name of the Protagonist and him being a dung collector and all.
The second quest surprised me. I didn't expect you to use my name, not at all. Maybe you could have the knight present himself by giving him a long, illustrious title? Think of 'Looking for Group' the on-line comic, and Richard the Warlock:
Link
But I would actually recommend reading the comic, it's quite fun.

Also, the night image of the laboratory does not work :)

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by leon »

Yes, the first quest is unfinished. I wasn't really sure how to proceed... This quest is to introduce potion mixing element, which is now unavailable at the start of the game. I intend to do this with plant growing, creature raising and spell-casting also.

I'm trying my best to include some comedy elements, but I'm not sure if it will be a key theme. I really enjoyed a lot of wizard comedy games, like Discworld series, Simon the sorcerer and especially Spellcasting series. "Sorcerers get all the Girls" was the subtitle of Spellcasting 101. ;)

Sorry about using your name without asking first, but it wouldn't be much of a surprise, if I did... ;) It's just a little joke. I love the idea of ridiculously long title, that eventually get's shortened to something like Dick. :)

I uploaded the new version:
Fixed night lab image.
Added ending to health potion quest.
Expanded the dragon fang quest.
Armor is now buy-able and equip-able at the bedroom.

Edit: Updated with the new version:
- added 2 new quests (Time paradox and Goldfist's garden)
- combat system added; spell system finished, 8 new enemies, armor now has effect in combat
- invented potions are now all stored for auto-mixing
- 2 new ingredients (feathers and magic beans) added
- you can now use aging and rejuvenation potions on yourself
- rejuvenation potion and several others added
- golden chickens and golden eggs are now (hopefully) working
- most of the options that are not available at the moment (such as because of missing ingredients) are now hidden
- added an image for protagonist's dialog

Aiurax
Regular

#14 Post by Aiurax »

I just played through it, the time paradox quest was a puzzler. I was all 'YAY I'M GETTING FREE STUFFS!' - And then at the end of it, I had nothing... It was a frown face moment. Very bewildering.
I liked the expansion on the Healing Potion quest. Funny.
All in all it's getting better little-by-little :)

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by leon »

@Aiurax: I would say the time paradox worked exactly as I hoped for. Including a frown face moment. :) There is a reward for that quest, but it's a bit delayed and hidden.

I uploaded a new version.

New quests:
- The spell book tutorial:
introduces the spell system and unlocks 2 spells

- The quest is the quest:
Do you ever get tired of doing quests for others in adventure games and RPGs? It's time for a change: an young adventurer visits you, offering his services. It's your turn to sit down and have someone else do all your work.

- Old lady:
Time to discover the rejuvenation potion...

- Running girl:
Main story.

- Cat in a bag:
Adds a cat girl tamagochi mini-game

- Naked lady:
:)

New features:
- a few new locations in town and forest added
- I changed the looks of the menus, so they are not covering the backgrounds. They are now smaller and at the bottom. This still needs a better solution... This is currently bugged, if you invent a lot of potions (there will be no space for the option to leave the room)
- inventory items are now grouped ("3 x Health Potion" instead of "Health Potion, Health Potion, Health Potion")
- Magic shop options; you get to decide which potions you wish to sell and set the prices
- Most of the options are now locked at the beginning and must be unlocked with tutorial quests.

Walktrough:
Day 1:
go to town and enter the seed store
buy beans and clover seeds
go to the castle, then to the dungeon, look at the prisoners (you'll lose 3 coins)
go to the forrest and explore it twice
go home to start the 'healing potion tutorial' quest (potion brewing unlocked)
go to laboratory, create a healing potion and go to bed; every time you pass time with healing potion in inventory, you earn 50 coins
equip blindfold in bedroom, go to laboratory, then take off the blindfold (hatchery)
go to town, enter lord golfists estate and select plant seeds (garden unlocked)
sleep until morning
day 2:
buy 2 beans, 2 dungbombs and an egg
go to laboratory and mix beans, dungbombs and egg (fertilizer potion)
got to garden and plant all 3 seeds
use a fertilizer potion
day 3:
sleep twice
day 4:
go to clothing shop
go home and equip the hat in the bedroom
go to forrest and fight monsters 3 times (fight monsters unlocked)
buy 4 eggs, beans and a few clover seeds
harvest plants in the garden
make a healing potion and a fertilizer potion
mix 4-leaf clover, dung bombs and egg (aging potion)
got to garden and plant all 3 seeds
use aging potion
harvest the plants, then plant all 4 seeds, then use fertilizer potion
you can repeat this process - harvest, plant, aging potion - for as long as you have eggs and clover seeds; this way you can get any number of magic beans and 3-leaf clovers, without passing the time; 3-leaf clovers can be handy to create a bunch of healing potions
day 5:
go to goldfist's estate and use the aging potion
day 6:
make an aging potion and use it on yourself in the bedroom - change armor (you'll need to take the hat off to see the effect)
go to goldfist's estate and talk to him
buy book from clothing store (2 spells unlocked)
buy nest and an egg and go to hatchery (hatchery unlocked)
hatch and egg, as soon as you have an aging potion, use it on the egg for instant chicken; then hatch another egg. 2 chickens will give you 1 egg a day, you'll get a golden egg every once in a while
to take care of cat girl, you'll need to catch fish in the pond. You can use aging potion on her to make her grow older; her needs will grow slower as she get's older. You can use the aging potion twice to make her an adult.
Day ?:
make rejuvenation potion: egg, 3-leaf clover, golden egg
make bean brandy: beans, 3-leaf clover, dungbombs
make dispel potion: 4-leaf clover, 3-leaf clover, dungbombs
go to forrest
drink bean brandy, go to ruins, then drink dispel potion
THE END