Sparrow ~Beautiful Fate~ [GxB, Otome] Progress: Redoing art

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Beveque
Projects: Sparrow ~Beautiful Fate~
Organization: Songbird Media

Sparrow ~Beautiful Fate~ [GxB, Otome] Progress: Redoing art

#1 Post by Beveque »

((the vn's logo will be placed here once it's done))

So this will be my very first VN, hopefully out of many more to come. I figured I should post this here first, since I haven't begun full on programming it yet (still have some BGs and character images to do before I do that), but I just can't wait to get the word out.

Story:

“There’s a story that I was told as I was growing up... My mother told it to me every night. She said, that as long as you still spot a sparrow soaring overhead, or just lazing around in a tree every now and then, then there is still hope for a brighter future.”

The setting is a fictional, prestigious high school in Kobe, Japan called Mizuitani High. You play the role of Anzu Kirishima, a senior at this school, and also the smart yet very pretty heiress to the Kirishima Enterprises out of Tokyo. Surrounded by kids of the rich and powerful day in and day out, you’ve never really thought about falling in love before... That is, until your father arranges a fiancé for you! The man of choice? Yusuke Anami. He goes to your school, has good looks... the only problem... He’s kind of an egotistical jerk. Can you uncover the soft, romantic side to him that lurks deep within his heart? Or perhaps you’ll decide that he isn’t worth the effort... There are a lot of guys at Mizuitani, and daddy never said you had to choose Yusuke in the end!

Can you find the happiness that the sparrows have promised?

Protagonist:

Anzu Kirishima

The heiress to the Kirishima Enterprises out of Tokyo, and the only child of Mr. Shumei Kirishima. Due to her gender, she is required to marry before she’s eligible to take over her family’s company once she graduates. Because of this, she is forced into a relationship that she isn’t even sure she wants to be a part of. But, she honors her father’s wishes and decides to give it a shot. However, Shumei only said that she needed to marry someone from a business background; he never said it had to be Yusuke. It’s up to you whether or not she stays with him.

Obtainable Guys:

[image coming soon]
Yusuke Anami

Believe it or not (what with everyone there being wealthy), he is the most popular guy at Mizuitani High. His family has done business with Kirishima Enterprises on a number of occasions, which has given him high eligibility to make a fine husband to Anzu, and thus the arranged marriage was made. He tends to think way too highly of himself and this often leads to him looking like a complete jerk. However, underneath that hard exterior, could there be a gentle, caring personality waiting for Anzu? He’s also been in the same class as Anzu since kindergarten.

[image coming soon]
Toshiro Maita

A smart guy. If he’s not doing homework, he can usually be found in the school library either studying or reading. He is the polar opposite of Yusuke, in that he barely has an ego and he most certainly isn’t too stubborn to show it when he cares about someone. Though his athleticism is lacking some... He usually skips out on gym class.
He is temporarily blind and taking specialty classes at Mizuitani. I'm hoping for a touching ending with him.
[image coming soon]
Rikyu Nagata

Optimistic and usually smiling, Rikyu can be considered a bit bubbly. He’s been at Anzu’s side since they were in second grade, just like Yusuke, but the difference being that Rikyu has actually been her friend since then, too. Unlike Yusuke, who never seemed to notice her. If Rikyu isn’t smiling, there’s something seriously wrong with him. He is far from being girly, though. He likes boy things and despises sweets.

[image coming soon]
Sojiro Maita

He is the president of the student council, and Toshiro's twin brother. He's nice to everyone, but has a sharp tongue when it's needed. His route will be hidden.

[image coming soon]
Takaya Tamazaki

Calm and collected. He's reserved, so most people assume he's some kind of snob, however he isn't. He is the delinquent type; he skips class a lot, because he believes he doesn't need schooling if he's just going to inherit his family's fortune in the end, anyway.
He's actually afraid to go to school, or anywhere for that matter. He has a heart defect that makes him feel dizzy if he works too hard physically, stands too long or walks too much. It's only fatal if he pushes his body too hard at one time. He is in line to receive a heart transplant.
Supporting Characters:

Yoshiko Tsuruya

Anzu’s other best friend, next to Rikyu. They’re usually together, unless they can’t be.

[image coming soon]
Shumei Kirishima

Anzu’s father, and only living parent. His wife passed away two years prior to the beginning of the story, due to pneumonia. He is the current CEO of Kirishima Enterprises, though he hopes to pass the company on to Anzu in a few short years.

Progress:
Ren'Py 6.13.8.1675 lint report, generated at: Tue Jan 31 11:57:11 2012
The game contains 23 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 560 words,
for an average of 24.3 words per screen.
The game contains 0 menus.
Story: 100%
Script: 5%
Character Art: 40%
Backgrounds: 90%
Music: 100% (Free Sources)

Fun Facts:
,, Takaya-kun has the same condition that I once had! Luckily mine cleared up on it's own as my heart grew stronger as I aged.
,, I have already planned on making a sequel entitled "Sparrow II ~Beautiful Tomorrow~" depending on how well this one does in the end. It will star one of the few unwealthy girls that wins a scholarship to Mizuitani. There will be an all new cast!
Last edited by Beveque on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Princess Akina
Regular

Re: Sparrow ~Beautiful Fate~ [GxB, Otome]

#2 Post by Princess Akina »

Definitely looking forward to this game. I love stories based off other stories, made-up or not. That story about the sparrow was really beautiful.
Glad you have already progressed this much already ^^
And based on their personalities, I would go for Yusuke first. Because I always chase after the mysterious, sarcastic jerks first haha
But with your amazing art, like I always say, the images of the guys will probably change my mind.
I wish you good luck on this project ^^
Stalking this.
My DA Account: http://xprincess-akina.deviantart.com It is very, very outdated and on hiatus, so don't expect much from there.
My Blog: http://xsakurahime.wordpress.com Somewhat on hiatus, because I'm super busy at the moment.

Beveque

#3 Post by Beveque »

Thank you! :3 I should have some images for the guys to show you soon. I'm half way done with Yusuke's sprite right now.

Also, suggestions are currently being taken if anyone has any ideas for me.

Ginger
Regular

#4 Post by Ginger »

First thing; you're art is beautiful.

Second; I already want to play it.

I wish you the best of luck, this seems like it'll be a very nice game(:

Beveque

#5 Post by Beveque »

@Ginger: Thank you! I'm trying hard to make the art look like it belongs in a visual novel. xD

I added Yoshiko's default sprite to the thread.
work in progress ,,
Sparrow ~Beautiful Fate~ [GxB, Otome]
------------
Songbird Media Blog

wingzofdarkness
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoReNo16 demo), Straight Up: Sister-zoned!

#6 Post by wingzofdarkness »

Well, I have to be honest. The characters, no offence, are not very unique. Their personalities are quite overused and it makes them uninteresting. Since this is a typical GxB story, I understand it is difficult to make something that has not be used. However, creativity is the key asset to making a successful story. The less cliche elements there are the more readers you will pull in. I do suppose it depends on how many story premises you've read in your life time. For me, I've read several and this is included in the bunch of "already viewed".

Though, you did catch me with the sparrow story. I am interested to see how you'll smoothly play that into the game because in my opinion, it is the key ingredient to the game.

You should note that this opinion is only based on the summary you have provided us. I could be wrong at assuming this and that, and I am hoping my inklings are incorrect. I would like to be surprised with plot twists and such, rather than the overused plot devices.

On the side note, the art is indeed lovely and you should be proud of it. I wish you luck on this project.

Beveque

#7 Post by Beveque »

@wingzofdarkness: I agree with you about the characters. The game is far from complete (I'm still at the early enough stages to where personalities and such can be altered). I will more than likely edit the characters a lot before I'm done. I actually quite enjoy the stereotypical visual novels, but then again, it's hard to get me to try anything new, heh. I will try to add some more unique aspects to the game.

Thank you for the input!
work in progress ,,
------------
Songbird Media Blog

Beveque

Re: Sparrow ~Beautiful Fate~ [GxB, Otome] Updated: 1/28/2012

#8 Post by Beveque »

Here's the main menu placeholder. It'll probably be changed eventually, using a sparrow CG that will appear in the actual gameplay.
Attachments
mainmenu.png
work in progress ,,
------------
Songbird Media Blog

Princess Akina
Regular

Re: Sparrow ~Beautiful Fate~ [GxB, Otome] Progress: Redoing

#9 Post by Princess Akina »

:O That main menu 'placeholder' is beautiful ^^
I wonder what the sparrow CG will look like 8D
My DA Account: http://xprincess-akina.deviantart.com It is very, very outdated and on hiatus, so don't expect much from there.
My Blog: http://xsakurahime.wordpress.com Somewhat on hiatus, because I'm super busy at the moment.

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

Re: Sparrow ~Beautiful Fate~ [GxB, Otome] Progress: Redoing

#10 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Your art is ridiculously AMAZING!!! It reminds me of Clannad <3 Can't wait! Please post love interests pictures to!!
i'll cry if you yell at me