Crimson Moonlight (GXB, GXG, mystery, flash game)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
jeje
Regular

Crimson Moonlight (GXB, GXG, mystery, flash game)

#1 Post by jeje »

I'm gonna redo the sprites because... I don't know myself...

Uhm, this is just a place for me to keep track of my game's progress. I won't bump this or anything. I just want to update things here and see how far I've done. (Although I might bump this if I have questions ^^)

Okay, so... this is for my school project. I need to make a flash program and a few other projects. So I decided to make a game for my Art and Computer Project. It's due in 6 months. I hope I can do this since I'm really stupid in programming anything.

Anyway! The story is about a girl who has just lost her parents. She's poor and confused, don't know how to earn money since she's just 15, and no decent job wants her. Suddenly an old man came and give her a sheet of paper. Inside the paper is an address. The old man told her to go to the address, since the young master there is in need of a replacement maid for 30 days. The address leads her to a mansion. Some locals say that it's a haunted mansion. But she's so desperate to get something to fill her growling stomach, and thus gather her courage and step into the mansion. In there lives an arrogant young master, a clumsy butler, a kind but cold gardener, and the old man! Moreover, in the first day she realize that they are all vampires! Can she work as a maid smoothly in 30 days? Without anything happens?

Yeah, this is the dating sim flash game you'll find anywhere in the internet, like pacthesis and nummyz. I want to code inventory, money, status things. Hope I can figure it out.
But though it's just a dating sim, I'll try my best to make it into a dark one! ^^

I'm not a writer, but fortunately I've found 2 writers to help me!! XD (dancing around)

Cast of characters:

Main:

Arisa (heroine)
A pure hearted maiden who just lost her parents due to an accident. She now works as a maid in a mansion full of vampires.

Edward Cresswell (The young master)
The master of the house. Has a lot of money and assets. Arrogant but kind hearted. He's the one that brought all of the vampires that lives in the mansion.

The gardener (Still no name)
A kind and 'big brother' type. Always caring about others. But he's actually really cold towards stranger.

The butler (Still no name)
An Arabian. A clumsy butler with a blind eye. Sometimes seems stupid, but actually he's good at valuing person.

The maid (Still no name)
She's the one whose job we take over for 30 days. Energetic and cheerful.

Other character

Humphrey Cresswell (the old man)
Father-like figure

Arisa's parents
Not lucky with money, but have big hearts.

(still not estimated, but maybe every stores might have different clerk. And some other not-that-important supporting chara, like nurse...)
the clothe store keeper
the clothe store keeper
GUI: (I'm still changing them)
text box
day box

Updating backgrounds (still have no estimation, because the date places will be so much. Though I might use free backgrounds) Oh, don't use these backgrounds. The line art isn't mine. I'll put the backgrounds for everyone to use in a different section.
entrance hall
outside mansion
working on the hall way

17 July
Finished making a background, young master's sprite, and Arisa (the girl)'s sprite in maid uniform.
Done the... rough draft of the prologue and a rough outline for the whole story.
Still trying to figure out how inventory and status coding works. At least now I understand how to make buttons and basic things...
19 July
Made another background, which is lame. Still figuring out how the gameplay works. Made the design of the GUI, and a textbox.
22 July
The young master finally have a name. Made a logo (still changeable), gardener's sprite, butler's sprite, maid's sprite. Still working on their clothes. Every character (Except Arisa and the old man and her parents) will have 3 outfits, minimum. Arisa will have... so many outfits... T,T
26 July
Changing the gardener's sprite, polishing up a bit of the backgrounds and sprites, make some GUI again. Still in the process of making BGs.
28 July
Done making the clothe store keeper. Decided to redo the sprites. Hopefully not that much... but the hair style gonna be a... little bit different, and the face too. Gathered so many backgrounds. And finally, the rest is just the mansions and a little bit of places ahhh...

Editing background (you can take these backgrounds. No need to credit me. Just credit the photographer. And sorry it's lame ^^")
aquarium.jpg
Samu-kun
music store.jpg
bass novel
graveyard day
graveyard day
sheWolf294 (dA)
graveyard night
graveyard night
sheWolf294 (dA)
Last edited by jeje on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:02 am, edited 7 times in total.

jeje
Regular

Re: Crimson Moonlight (GXB, GXG, mystery, flash game)

#2 Post by jeje »

Sorry to bump this. I wanna ask about the GUI I've made so far. Do you think it fits the theme and good enough? I'm thinking that the day box could use white fonts. What do you think about the color for the text when you play the game? Which color would be good to stand out and easy for the eyes, when my text box is made of red and black? Any suggestion and idea for the design, or anything?

Thanks before ^^

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#3 Post by chocojax »

There are a few spots on the textbox/day change that show usage of textures. If you go into the .png and add a layer of black behind it, you'll notice what I'm talking about.
Imo, I would make the red a little bit less saturated, because it's a haunted house sorta game. But since the sprites are pretty bright/saturated and the game sounds pretty bouncy, I think they fit kinda well.
I kinda don't like the embossed look of the rectangles/circles, especially on the day change one. Could you show a version where it's not embossed? x:

Yeah, I think a white font for the day change thing would add more contrast/be easier to read. Dunno about the textbox though, since I tried writing stuff in white/black in paint over it, and both seemed equally fine to me. x:

jeje
Regular

#4 Post by jeje »

Hmmm... yeah, I know what you mean. But in the text box, the textures is out of place because I want it. I'll erase the one in the day change.
How bout this one? Image
I think that the embosed look is kind of... too shiny... Yeah. Is this one better?
Sorry for taking a long time ^^"

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by chocojax »

It's okay. :v

Well, now, without the embossed kinda feel, it looks like it's kinda going farther away from the viewer, which kinda looks neat. I'm pretty bad at these kinda things, so dunno how2fix. Maybe add a sort of border around the rounded rectangles to kinda ease in the pushed in textbox/background? x:

Yeah, I think that the white text looks fine. :v Though you should try to see if there are any other fonts that may fit the VN better.

jeje
Regular

#6 Post by jeje »

Hmmm... how bout this?
I make them less saturated this time.

I think the font is too big... But it's more easy to read than the previous one.

And this is the day change box:

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#7 Post by Arowana »

Cool project - sounds like it will be a really fun school assignment! I like the butler with the ponytail best so far. :)

I do prefer the new font you are using. It might be a bit large, but I think the size of the side portrait and namebox is more noticeable - they're a bit too large and high for my tastes. The border, while cool, takes up a lot of space. Maybe you could try shrinking the border and moving the side portrait down a little?

The menu on the top corner of the textbox is also a bit hard to see - I actually didn't notice it at first. There seems to be some space on the right side of the textbox - perhaps you could work the menu buttons into the right border? Right above the right side of the textbox (closer to the top) might work as well.
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by chocojax »

Yeaaah, I think it looks a lot better now! C: And since you did a kinda fading black thing around the name area, maybe you could make the red box for the name fade along with the black lines? And maybe you could make the text smaller if you wanted to fit in more words. x:

And the day change box looks really neat! I like the glow effect you did to the words.

And I hadn't actually noticed the menu at the side until I read what Arowana wrote, lol. You can try to make the menu a little bit more noticeable if you were to give it a white outline?

hokaru

#9 Post by hokaru »

White font do look better ^^ I think that the text box font is too big. For the menu, wouldn't white font with black outline better?

Nice art and I like the plot. Will be looking forward for this game.

ShadowBerry
Veteran
Projects: Yakuza Blossom

#10 Post by ShadowBerry »

Awwww. this is awesome!
Well of course the young master catched my eyes first...*cough* I just love his hair xD
And it's been a while since I fell for a story with vampires~ <3

I root for you and hope you get an A for this project <3
And I wanna play it! D:
Own project:

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#11 Post by Destiny »

It looks great so far and I'm sure, your project will do well ;)
And yeah, the young master looks awesome (but I kind of like the looks of the gardener more, I love such fluffy looking hair x3)
Aaaaaaaaaaaand what is it with that not-funny joke?
I totally cracked because of it randomness :'D
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Victoria Jennings »

The GUI looks pretty sexy to me. The maid girl is so cute. ; 0 ; <3

Mini_Moshi
Regular

#13 Post by Mini_Moshi »

This is looking really, really good. A wonderful idea for a project!

jeje
Regular

#14 Post by jeje »

Uwaaa~ so many people commented. Thankkss >v<

Anyway, here's the text box... The pic is too saturated right now. Will reduce it later.
EDIT: uh oh, I just found out that the texture isn't tidy enough. Will repair it.

How bout this one? I made the text box longer, the size smaller, the menu option stand out more, etc.
I feel so sluggish making just one BG... And the line art isn't even mine... /orz

@Arowana: It IS a fun project! (At least for this one...) Yeah, the butler is my fave too XD *high five* Thanks for mentioning the menu, otherwise the other might not even notice it at all~
@chocojax: I tried to reduce the opacity to 70%, but it doesn't make much difference :? Thx to you, the GUI is much more polished! If I have any GUI done again, I'll post it here and ask for opinion again >w< Thank you soooo much~ *hugs*
@hokaru: Hiya! Welcome to Lemma! Yeah, how bout the menu font now? Thx for the compliment ^^
@ShadowBerry: *cough* I hope you won't mind his arrogance later~ ufufuffu~
And I do hope this will get an A... but the other friends are making such complicated coding with flash... I can't do even the basic :(
@Destiny: Amen to that! Ufufufu~ I wanna redo the gardener's clothe right now. He's kind of... a samurai... so he'll be using kimono. Anyway, don't be fooled by his smiling all the time ;p Bout the joke: it's supposed to be random anyway. But it makes sense!! >:)
@Victoria: Thx~ I'll do what I can to improve the GUI. The maid girl is... different... in more ways than one. But she's cute!! She's like a cat!! >w< (I hope I can make her with jumping effect later in the game.)
@Mini_Moshi: Thanks! I hope my teacher will think like that too ;v;

Anyway, I just want to tell that the story isn't that light, and may contain a little blood here and there. And everybody have their secret and unexpected pasts. And I hope I won't disappoint you all -_- (especially with my lame skill in coding)

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#15 Post by Destiny »

jeje wrote:Anyway, I just want to tell that the story isn't that light, and may contain a little blood here and there. And everybody have their secret and unexpected pasts.
You're doing a vampire story ö_ö
Everything else would have made me highly suspicious, seriously xD
And I hope I won't disappoint you all -_- (especially with my lame skill in coding)
Disappoint about what?
The time you need to finish it?
I remember a nice text on the Ren'Py-wiki about "1 person = 2 years of work". So don't worry, the less people the longer the time.
I'm sure, anyone here can wait for your awesome game ;)
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)