Red eyes in the darkness [BxG] [16+, VN/RPG] [Horror]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Red eyes in the darkness

Red eyes in the darkness [BxG] [16+, VN/RPG] [Horror]

#1 Post by Ryue »

Name
Currently after a few changes in how long the game will be, the original title is scrapped and it only goes by a working title “red eyes” with the final title being made shortly before the game will be finished.

Rating
Depending on rating agency 16+ / 18+
(primarily because of the zombies and horror elements)

Genre
Horror / supernatural / romance

Gameplay
The game has elements of both a typical visual novel and an
old school 3D RPG.

As the story unfolds the player will have to make decisions
which will affect how the NPCs will see him and behave around
him and which also affects how the story itself unfolds.
Furthermore the player can travel through huge 3D dungeons
that contain a complete forest, a village and even a castle,
and battle different foes there beginning from burglars and wolves
over celestials and vampires to zombies. Furthermore the player
will have to make decisions here that too affect how the story will
unfold.

Some of the decisions will be easy to make, while others will put
the morality of both the character and the player himself into
question and on the line.

Setting and story
The game is planed to be the first one in a small series of games
that will tell the story of a war that began in the old medieval
times of witchcraft and castles and that willfinds its ultimate
conclusion in the modern times of skyscrappers and technology.

In this part the player will be able to play as one of three
brothers. They suddenly were ripped ot of the modern world
by a demon who threw them into a medieval kingdom that was
in the process of being destroyed in an ancient war between
two supernatural fractions. The darkness that has begun to engulf
the kingdom could easily spew forth and engulf the entire world
if the 3 brothers do not stop it on their quest to unfold the truth
about what is happening and the truth about themselves.

Features
-The game is made up of 2 parts: The RPG part and the adventure part which are linked to one another.
-Make decisions that affect the story (and thus the storyline) AND the rpg part.
-Walk through huge 3D maps (up to 300 x 300 steps), and look at scenery located more than 5 steps from you.
-Customize party members through equipment and by unlocking powerful skills and abilities at level ups.
-Recruit NPCs or hire dozens of soldiers to assist you.
-Fight battle at swort length, or use bows to decimate foes at a distance or unleash your powers to
wreak havok it is all your decision.
-Help survivors of the ongoing war, to better their situation and thus also the support they in return can
give to you.

Status of the project
-Story: 10% finished (rougha outline for the story is finished though)
-Coding: 3D engine is currently being redone to improve performance
and reusability.
-Sprites: 90%

Filled positions
* Sprites

Open positions
* GUI design
* Background design
* Tiles for the 3D environment
(which consists of 2 2D pictures of the same location
from different angles)

Main Characters
"Envy"
Carmen
Secondary Characters
Last edited by Ryue on Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:00 am, edited 19 times in total.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Red eyes in the darkness [BxG] [16+/18+, VN/RPG] [Horror

#2 Post by Ryue »

NPC
Placeholder for the NPC
Last edited by Ryue on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

#3 Post by zankizuna »

Cool, at least you have the plan... Do you have an artist?

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Ryue »

Hi
Nope I don't have an artist (it is an open post, or even more than one open post there, as I've seen some projects have more than 1 artist).
For artist(s) best would be someone drawing in a style similar to animes or mangas (I've seen other drawing styles, but I like that style more so far can't put a finger on why though).

Like mentioned above I can draw maps if needs be (I know my limitations pretty well.......normally all drawings of mine aside from eggs or technical schematas are.....lets say it so I won't show those anyone ever^^ so a map would be pretty much the most I'm daring to draw myself if needs be all else.......I'll need an artist)

zankizuna
Veteran

#5 Post by zankizuna »

Cool. I can't say I can be an artist for this though, I'm kinda busy with other projects.
Good luck:D

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

Within a given category of fiction, there are a lot of common concepts and similar fictional ideas. In other words, it's impossible to be completely original. Some of what you write *will* resemble other zombie apocalypse and supernatural crisis stories. Keep that in mind. For instance, you mentioned a corporation called Geotec that has a laboratory that explodes... I'm not sure if I've seen this exact idea in other fiction, but it sounds vaguely familiar.

At the same time, look carefully to make sure your story is not too similar to a recent popular work of fiction. Characters hiding in a mall while zombies are destroying the world is the premise of "Dawn of the Dead" (1978), and a variation was used in the video game "Dead Rising."

Why are vampires and demons also involved? How are they related to the main zombie plot?

When you have time, let us know more about your characters. Provide a few key details. Maybe some of them are cannon fodder. However, we need to care about who these people are and what they're doing.

This game will require a lot of writing, and even more coding. Do you passionately believe in your story and/or your gameplay? How will you deal with real-world obstacles to writing (concerns with family, friends, money, health, and so on)? How do you plan to stay committed?

I have heard that using roleplaying games (pen-and-paper) can be an excellent way to test an idea. It's apparently a good method for understanding how various characters might act, as well as for finding plot problems and ways to break the game. Thanks for thinking of this.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Ryue »

@zankizuna: No problem there.

@gekiganwing:
Keep that in mind. For instance, you mentioned a corporation called Geotec that has a laboratory that explodes... I'm not sure if I've seen this exact idea in other fiction, but it sounds vaguely familiar.
The sad thing is there are so many zombie stories out there that it is almost impossible nowadays to come up with a unique idea there. The exploding lab could feel familiar from the prototype1 xbox360 game there the outbreak
happened (fully) when a lab was inadvertly destroyed by the protagonist (or from the all flesh must be eaten pen and paper rpg....the gm screen had a similar premise).

As I thought about the storyline I finally told my self what the hell......I'm just going with the classic as a base and I'll make my storyline stand out from the crowd just by the background of the world, the chars and also that it does not solely center on the mall (so far there are only 2 series: "Highschool of the dead" and "The walking dead" that I know of and maybe the upcoming world war Z that don't concentrate on 1-2 locations for the entire film/series/game).
Thus I:
  • Put in other supernatural beings (never saw a zombie apocalypse story featuring more than zombies as supernats...fanfictions aside)
  • Not only concentrate on one location (the mall), but also let the players fight through an overrun city for at least 1 full chapter.
  • Also put in a backstory that goes back a few hundred of years and that not only done as flashbacks but as full playable parts of the game which affects also the present (at least affectionratingwise).

If you have a question there just ask.
    Why are vampires and demons also involved? How are they related to the main zombie plot?
    I'll split that question into two related parts:
    Why are vampires and demons also involved?
    As I said I wanted to have supernaturals involved. 2 Types to be exact. One type being created by the other type.
    I thought quite hard there and after a few attempts I settled for demons and vampires (the first concept saw
    werewolves and vampires but there I had the problem that it reminded me too much of the underworld film series).
    So why those two?
    • Vampires:
    • I wanted to have sort of an intelligent zombie that carries the zombie plague and can infect others with it.
      With them I achieved 2 goals of mine: 1.) A sort of zombie that still has feelings. This is important as I wanted the option to be there for NPC to get infected and still be viable for romance options / drama to unfold.
      2.) I needed something else than mere normal zombies if I wanted to also include another supernatural species. With vampires I had something powerful and undead AND intelligent. Thus a player must use his intellect to survive and can't rely on pure strength of firepower.
    • Demons:
    • Demons were a later addition. I KNEW I wanted a second supernatural species, but I had troubles finding an appropriate one. I went from werewolves (sounded too much like the underworld film series) to dragons, but settled finally on demons. With that I achieved two goals. 1.) A scaleable supernatural species that can be used as either PCs or ally to the PCs 2.) I had a species where it wouldn't sound too illogical that they were able to create vampires (half of the vampire films feature pacts with the devil or demons as reason for the vampires existence anyway)
      3.) I had a species where PC/NPC could react badly if they got to know WHAT they really are (especially if the PC/NPC is very religious).
      4.) With them I had a nice species which could be the (even unwitting cause of all the mayhem to occur)
How are they related to the main zombie plot?
In the world background it is so that demons had the means to make humans immortal.
This "present" was tainted by some humans that envied the immortality of their few chosen brethren.
These envious humans became the first vampires.

Over the course of time (and an inevitable war between them and the demons) the vampires found out that
their "taint" can not only be used to transform others into them (and weakening themselves in the process)
but it can also be used as a plague (by biting someone and willing the taint to go into the victim without
giving him/her the vampires blood as an exmple). With that ability they were able to create walking corpses
which would later be known as zombies. And even had means to control them.

Thus the relation is that the demons unwittingly created the vampires while the vampires created the zombies
(and use them as tools and weapons....although the contagious nature of the zombies is something even they
don't like.....as they can't really feed on walking corpses).
When you have time, let us know more about your characters. Provide a few key details. Maybe some of them are cannon fodder. However, we need to care about who these people are and what they're doing.
Will try to give out the first details either today or tomorrow (had a very long shift at work yesterday and still quite a bit out of it).
This game will require a lot of writing, and even more coding. Do you passionately believe in your story and/or your gameplay? How will you deal with real-world obstacles to writing (concerns with family, friends, money, health, and so on)? How do you plan to stay committed?
I think I'm having a realistic view if I say this creating this game will be a big challenge.
Not only that I'm new to the python programming language, but also the concepts I have are complicated
by themselves (3 PCs between which you can switch with the decisions of one affecting the story of the other,
and also I'm trying to give players the most freedom in regards to decisions). And also there will be much work
involved.

So why do I think I'll be able to manage this?

The reasons are threefold there:
[*]I just LOVE to create things in my sparetime (I write short fanfictions, create RPG sytems and mod existing RPG systems and write web games in my sparetime, and that since over 20 years now).
[*]I'm used to creating long and complex stories (I'm a GM since years with most adventures I gm'd being homemade ones).
[*]I'm used creating complicated programs and algorithms as I'm working as a web application programmer since years now. So I'm used to writing quite a lot and also to solve complex coding problems (although I have to admit
I'm still unused to the python programming language as I'm using other programming languages thus far).
[*]I have experience with big and long going projects (due to my work).

Thus creating the game will be a challenge, but a manageable one and one I'm looking forward to to overcome :)
I have heard that using roleplaying games (pen-and-paper) can be an excellent way to test an idea. It's apparently a good method for understanding how various characters might act, as well as for finding plot problems and ways to break the game. Thanks for thinking of this.
Hehe I will be honest I never heared of anyone using that method before. I just had it when I ran into fleshing out troubles (details of the storyline and what NPCs to use). I never have these troubles when I gm a RPG (gm for years already in different rpgs). So I came to the solution: "Give up thinking of it like a story or a computer game...think of it like it was a RPG session". And the playing it out part was only the next logical step there^^.

As always if you have other questoins there or want more details just ask.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Ryue »

Posted the PCs (took me a while to get a design together where all important infos are standing in a way that is easy to read).

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Ryue »

I restructured the thread (and made it easier to read). Additionally I put up the first finished sprite.

Let me know if you have any suggestions, thoughts,...

The sprite is for the medieval time part.

zankizuna
Veteran

Re: Red eyes in the darkness [BxG] [16+, VN/RPG] [Horror]

#10 Post by zankizuna »

That's a great avatar! Good job! who made it?
Smileholic?

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Ryue »

zankizuna wrote:That's a great avatar! Good job! who made it?
Smileholic?
Yes smileholic created Quinn's image (she is my sprite artist)....although now only smile namewise.

I've goten extremely lucky with the ppl I got so far and also how fast I got them :)
(will update this thread a bit later also with the now filled positions)

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Ryue »

Modified timetable for the 1st demo (postboned to january).

Statusupdate: 1st sprite there. 1st backgrounds there. n process of coding the battlescript (had to rdo most of the code due to it being problematic in regards to savve and load before)

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Ryue »

As status update:
I lost my original sprite artist. Waited for way over a month for any sign of life, and got a new one then.
Currently I'm waiting for the first sprites.
The time I waited was not unused though. I rethought a few parts and incorporated now a few mechanics where I feared I wouldn't have time to incorporate them
and thus left them out in the original planings.

Thus I'm going to include not only map movement but in addition to that also a dungeon crawler engine (used for both indoor and outdoor crawls).
The engine itself is almost finished (I must still link it with the combat engine though).
For movement like I said it will be so that it will be a mix between map and crawling. Thus you can travel via a map from a forest to a nearby village and there
to the important locations. The travel through the forest itself instead will be with the dungeon crawl engine.

A link to a googledoc which holds the screenshots of the 1st version of the engine is in the original thread post.

Additionally with all the troubles I had so far I'm currently contemplating (and will probably go for it) splitting the game into two games.
Thus 1 game set in medieval times and the other game set in modern times with a save game import.

zankizuna
Veteran

#14 Post by zankizuna »

did Smileholic quit? That's sad...

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Ryue »

Yeah. At least that is how I understand 3 months without any reply (while being online time and again on skype).
She made a very nice sprite back then.
Only thing I don't find ok there was that I didnt even get any info from her that she quit but whatever.....live goes on and the project also (I'm too stubborn to let myself
be taken down by her quitting.....or that of the second sprite artist before he even began his work). Currently I have switched to paid sprite artist.
And waiting for the first sprite to finish (in total the medieval part has 8 planed sprites).