(Untitled) [BxG; Friendship/Romance]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
LG65

(Untitled) [BxG; Friendship/Romance]

#1 Post by LG65 »

Story:

A young high-functioning autistic man down on his luck on love and friendship... People easily misunderstand him, despite his good intentions of making friends and hopefully getting a girlfriend. But a chance encounter with seven girls at a food court in Toronto makes his confidence grow and he is willing to extend his friendship with these seven girls from a university in New Brunswick.

Possible Features:

- Approx. 70 CG's (10 per gal pal)
- BG's to feature photos from Toronto's hotspots
- 9 characters
- One interconnected ending
- Story changes based on decisions made.

Characters:

Hiroaki Ikari Gonzalez (Protagonist)
The young man diagnosed with autism. Very high-functioning and able to do things independently. But his social struggles cause friendships and possible romances to break down.

Azusa Mukai
The first of seven girls that Hiroaki meets. She loves sports, especially hockey. She hopes that she will become a successful hockey player one day...

Ayumi Urata
The second of seven girls that Hiroaki meets. She is an otaku (loves anime and manga), but the problem is... she reads manga too slow.

Arisa Yabu
The third of seven girls that Hiroaki meets. She is considered the 'cutest' by her closest friends.

Ayaka Koshiba
The fourth of seven girls that Hiroaki meets. She is quiet and reserved.

Narumi Moriyama
The fifth of seven girls that Hiroaki meets. She is the most feminine of the group.

Mari Isaka
The sixth of seven girls that Hiroaki meets. She is liveliest of the group.

Yuka Takano
The last of seven girls that Hiroaki meets. Not much is known about her...

Kyoko Ikari (Minor)
Hiroaki's 17-year-old sister. She keeps him grounded and cares for him.

Junko Ikari (Minor)
Hiroaki's 8-year-old sister. Although hyperactive, she loves her brother so much.

Credits:

Art: (open for anyone, in the process of looking for an artist)
Story: LG65 + (open for anyone) (While I'm strongest in storywriting, I don't mind having another writer for dialogue & screenplay)
GUI: (open for anyone, may go for it by myself)
Programmer: (open for anyone, may go for it by myself)
Music: (possibly free resources, may look for a composer)

While I do want to dive into making a visual novel, I would like some assistance on developing it. So, any help will be greatly appreciated. If any suggestions are worth pointing out, let me know as well.

Aines445
Regular

Re: (Untitled) [BxG; Friendship/Romance]

#2 Post by Aines445 »

Hmmm....... Pretty nice. If the protagonist is autistic (Did I say the word right I wonder...) you should research on that, to get to know how to make a character like that in a more realistic way, I can't help you with that though, I never met an autist person before. Also, it's in toronto, right? (or did I get it wrong??? O.O) So why the japanese names? (Or are those normal there??? O.O) It kinda seems out of place in terms of where you're putting them, well, It could be because they went there, or they're parents were japanese and moved there, but all at the same time is kinda weird. If you wanna keep them then it's okay, though, I'd still play it, but I was just wondering.
And I can't really help you with making the visual novel, but are you a nice artist? Even if you aren't, you can still practice, and if you don't have time for that then you should get an artist. Well, art is my strongest point, but I can't really help you. And if you have to get background or music from free resources, then do it, cause there are people that don't really like to play a game without music (Not me though), but if you want some original music, you should learn to do it, or get a composer. And for the things that you can do yourself, I think you should do them. For example programming, if you know the basics for programming these types of games, then I think it would be good for you to do that yourself, besides, you could get better at it while making the game. So yeah, I can't help you making it directly, but I guess I can give some advice (I'm not even experienced why am I talking like I made this awesome visual novel????), and don't give up on that idea, it's pretty ambitious, so I hope you don't give up! ^-^

Nym

#3 Post by Nym »

Whoo! This VN looks prestigous. Seven love interests are a lot. How long is the gameplay going to be for one play through?
I suppose this is a little bit of a nit pick, but if the VN is set in Toronto, why do all of the characters have Japanese names?
Also, I find the concept of an autistic protagonist very interesting, but potentially risky. Do you have experience in dealing with people with autism? Or are you researching the concept?
Is there only going to be one ending? Or are there multiple endings for each of the love interests?

LG65

#4 Post by LG65 »

Aines445 wrote:Hmmm....... Pretty nice. If the protagonist is autistic (Did I say the word right I wonder...) you should research on that, to get to know how to make a character like that in a more realistic way, I can't help you with that though, I never met an autist person before. Also, it's in toronto, right? (or did I get it wrong??? O.O) So why the japanese names? (Or are those normal there??? O.O) It kinda seems out of place in terms of where you're putting them, well, It could be because they went there, or they're parents were japanese and moved there, but all at the same time is kinda weird. If you wanna keep them then it's okay, though, I'd still play it, but I was just wondering.
And I can't really help you with making the visual novel, but are you a nice artist? Even if you aren't, you can still practice, and if you don't have time for that then you should get an artist. Well, art is my strongest point, but I can't really help you. And if you have to get background or music from free resources, then do it, cause there are people that don't really like to play a game without music (Not me though), but if you want some original music, you should learn to do it, or get a composer. And for the things that you can do yourself, I think you should do them. For example programming, if you know the basics for programming these types of games, then I think it would be good for you to do that yourself, besides, you could get better at it while making the game. So yeah, I can't help you making it directly, but I guess I can give some advice (I'm not even experienced why am I talking like I made this awesome visual novel????), and don't give up on that idea, it's pretty ambitious, so I hope you don't give up! ^-^
Nym wrote:Whoo! This VN looks prestigous. Seven love interests are a lot. How long is the gameplay going to be for one play through?
I suppose this is a little bit of a nit pick, but if the VN is set in Toronto, why do all of the characters have Japanese names?
Also, I find the concept of an autistic protagonist very interesting, but potentially risky. Do you have experience in dealing with people with autism? Or are you researching the concept?
Is there only going to be one ending? Or are there multiple endings for each of the love interests?
To answer a couple of questions:

1) I have autism myself. I know that social skills are NEVER my strong suit and will incorporate them into the main protagonist as best as I can. Autistic people are actually pretty intelligent in several areas, despite the social awkwardness. For instance, I am a sports fan and know quite a bit about football, hockey and soccer. Same with video games.

2) Japanese people visit Toronto, but only a handful actually stay. I guess they're exchange students looking to learn English.

For the technical VN stuff:

1) There will be multiple endings. I just have to develop them (simple, considering that storytelling is my strength... XD)

2) Artwork, depending on how well I draw, I will handle (quite a decent drawer). But if my drawings aren't great, then I may consider asking someone else.

Thanks for your support, guys! As you said, it's ambitious, but I have firm belief that I can get this done!

DreamDragonHatchling
Regular

#5 Post by DreamDragonHatchling »

high-functioning autistic man...hm... I LOVE IT! ^^ The more MC strays from what MC usual is the more interesting it is, well for me at least.
I am suffering from getting really annoyed when i see another all good heart girl MC, or good and never bad MC or pink hair(hate them LOL)
Can't wait to see how your MC will look like, feel like and act like.

as for Approx. 70 CG's..... O_O that is a big number. My advice wold be categorize more important to be drawn first and the last as an option, if you have still time/energy to do them. You should aim for 70 but not feel defeated for making only 40-50 CG's.

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#6 Post by FatUnicornGames »

As a high-functioning autistic man you will have an intimate knowledge in creating a character with that particular condition. Might I suggest if you have trouble voicing some of the other characters taking on an active editor to help with the other characters?

This sounds really interesting AND quite large. I agree with DreamDragon for the categorization on the CGS. That is a really high number. Good luck!
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by gekiganwing »

The more important characters are in your VN, the more work you'll have to do. I don't want to discourage you, but I believe you might benefit by scaling back your plans. Consider writing one route at a time. If you believe in your project, and if you can commit enough time to work on your game, then you will have a good chance of getting it finished.
LG65 wrote:2) Japanese people visit Toronto, but only a handful actually stay. I guess they're exchange students looking to learn English.
I've been to Vancouver, and I've seen a section of the city which is pretty much home-away-from-home for students from east Asia. (Regrettably, I haven't been to Toronto just yet. Hopefully I'll be able to visit there soon for some Rush / Mike Myers / Scott Pilgrim related tourism. :D )

iiStarCandy
Regular
Projects: Bored to Death, Trying to Walk
IRC Nick: Yoh-An
Tumblr: saseum-ssi
Deviantart: yoh-an

#8 Post by iiStarCandy »

This is really interesting. It's the first time I've seen any autistic characters in any game, which I'm looking forward to, since I know a couple autistic people. My brother, as one of them, is actually pretty good with social skills. People thing is he is funny, since he has somehow developed that ability. (Okay I'm getting a little off topic here.)
70 CGs? Wow. That's definitely going to be a challenge. I like how there are a lot of characters, which gives a bigger range of variety in the game. But, as all of them besides the MC are girls, maybe a guy or two as extras would be more...balanced.
I'm looking forward to seeing the turnout of this. ^^

--
Logo blog: http://yoh-an.blogspot.com/
Personal blog: http://saseum-ssi.tumblr.com/
deviantArt: http://yoh-an.deviantart.com/
I make logos from time to time.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by gekiganwing »

iiStarCandy wrote:I like how there are a lot of characters, which gives a bigger range of variety in the game. But, as all of them besides the MC are girls, maybe a guy or two as extras would be more...balanced.
I thought up to this point that the main character was heterosexual. But that hasn't been stated outright... Anyway, it's up to you, LG65, to determine his sexuality and how it's presented.

Even if he is unambiguously straight, he probably has at least a few important relationships with guys. These include:

* Family
* Friends
* Bosses and coworkers (or teachers and fellow students)
* Mentors and role models