Seasons of Love [GxB, Romance, Fantasy, Slice of Life]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

Seasons of Love [GxB, Romance, Fantasy, Slice of Life]

#1 Post by Ran08 »

For ten years, the Yamada family has tried to escape the past.
For ten years, they have tried to run away.
For ten years, they have tried to hide the secrets from the world.
But no secret ever remains untold.
What if you found out that the life you were living is actually a lie?

Seasons of Love is a GxB slice of life, fantasy romantic comedy. It's set in a special academy in Japan, and tells the story of a high school student in a new school that's different from any other place she's ever seen.

CHARACTERS
YAMADA KAZUMI (山田 和美)
“High walls do prevent people from looking in... but they also stop you from looking out.”
The main character in this visual novel. (Name changeable) Kazumi is optimistic and carefree. However, when she worries about something, which is very rare, she tends to worry too much, going into great lengths just to do what she thinks is right. Despite her naivety, this 17-year-old girl is a quick thinker and actually does well in class. Kazumi thinks that the people who study in Shikon Academy are all rich and contented with their "problem-free" lives. As she delves further into their world however, she discovers that not everything is what it seems.

MIYAMOTO KANAME (宮本 叶夢)
“I always encountered love stories in the books I read, but I always ignored them. I didn't want to believe in something I never thought could exist.”
Overshadowed by his genius and multi-talented brothers, 17-year-old Kaname is tired of feeling unneeded and unimportant. He prefers to distance himself from the world and resort to his books instead, allowing himself to be sucked into their different worlds where he is the hero of every adventure. He spends most of time his reading, because he knows that when he closes the final chapter, there's still a reality he has to face.

FUJIWARA SHINO (藤原 仕洵)
"I don’t really like girls. All they do is break your heart and I’m not sure if I still have a heart left to break.”
Although Fujiwara Shino is the clear embodiment of a real-life Prince Charming, deep inside this 17-year-old teenager would just rather have someone who'd genuinely love him forever than have dozens of different girls throwing themselves at his feet everyday. Labeled as Shikon High's casanova, Shino is notorious for being a heart-breaker. Despite this, he still can't seem to shake off his many fan-girls who admire him for his looks, his talents and his brains.

SATOU TAKASHI (里 高史)
“Admit it. Even if you don’t like him anymore, he’d always have a special place in your heart.”
He may seem like any normal 18-year-old mischievous athlete, but Satou Takashi is far from ordinary. He has a special ability that allows him to look into people's sleep stories. He hopes for the day when he can finally dream his own dream and not just be a spectator. Takashi enjoys eating and sleeping during his free time, when he's not playing basketball.

AKIHARA SONAKO (龝原 想和子)
“You’ve always been this naive. Especially when it comes to the heart.”
A small boy with a big heart, Akihara Sonako is one of the shortest yet sweetest boys in class. He can be naive, annoying, childish and stubborn, but he is also loyal and fun-loving. He and Kazumi go a long way back, being childhood friends and all. But one incident when they were young changed their relationship. With this strange reunion, will they overcome the past and move on to a brighter future?

ANDO SATSUKI (安堵 皐月)
“Nobody should live with regrets. Not even those who deserve it.”
Satsuki has always lived a lonely life. This 18-year-old boy hardly attends class, preferring instead to sit out in the school garden, enjoying the peace and serenity. He believes that people should just stay quiet if they have nothing to say, and opposes to conversations being fillers for time. However, despite the indifferent, "I-don't-give-a-damn" attitude, Satsuki knows a lot more about the people in SA than he's letting on.

OTHERS:

WATANABE RIKA
With a motherly nature and caring disposition, Rika is the one who always reminds Kazumi her assignments, her schedule and other things. She is the neutral one in the trio, always just going with the flow.

WATANABE ANNA
Beautiful and witty, Anna is not afraid to show her mean streak to her fellow students. Although she is warm and friendly, she also has a fiery temper. She can be harsh and mean at times, but she easily hides it under her sweet and gentle facade.

WATANABE NAMI
The oldest of the trio, Nami is cold and calculating. She can be as heartless as a predator, and as compassionate as a loving mother. With her confident and sometimes overbearing nature, she makes a great complement to Kazumi.

KOBAYASHI CHIAKI
If an outsider would look inside the classroom, they would probably not even see Chiaki Kobayashi, a 17-year-old bookworm silently reading in the back. As Kazumi gets to know the people in school better though, she starts to wonder, is Chiaki really an unnoticed member of the class, or is there a deeper reason why almost no one seems to take notice of him at all?
PROGRESS:
Story Outline: 100% (Spring)
Script: 50% (Spring) The game contains 3,838 dialogue blocks, containing 24,828 words and 136,925 characters, for an average of 6.5 words and 36 characters per block.
The game contains 24 menus, 155 images, and 12 screens.
Character Outlines: 95%
Art: 2%
Music: 100% for Spring. (Free resources!)
Backgrounds: 100% for Spring. (Free resources!)
CGs: 0% as of now, except for some sketches.

Story, Script, Programming: Ran
Co-writer: DiamondRoseTears
Little Helpers: D`Angel18, TheOneTwo
Art:
- Sprites: enta
- CG: Maltagliati

Hi guys! This is my first VN. (Edit: Supposedly. I finished Summer Paradise before this. ^^) And.. err... there we go for the progress (or lack thereof. Hahaha.)

Please, give me your feedback and criticisms! I know the story may seem so typical right now, but with a bit of help I hope I can fix that. Teehee. I'd appreciate it if you guys can help me. ^_^

Update: (3/29) But I have to say, upon looking on the story outlines, the plot seems to grow darker as the seasons pass... -____- So... yep, this will be kinda dark.
Update: (5/17) We now have a CG artist ^^ Maltagliati was super duper nice to offer help. :) My bones are tingling from happiness. Wahahaha.
Update: (7/20) We still don't have any real sprites aside from Rika's, but there's some major progress in the art department! :) I'm not sure if enta's computer is already okay, but CG artist Malta made a sketch of the boys. Awww. :") Here ya go guys.
Update: (8/7) I changed the placeholder art. Got them from the awesome tokudaya.net.
Thanks a lot for reading this even if it's so long! Highly appreciated.
Ran
Last edited by Ran08 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:18 am, edited 13 times in total.

Aines445
Regular

Re: Seasons of Love GxB [Romance][Fantasy]

#2 Post by Aines445 »

Hmmmm....So are the first names first or last? I know that in Japan they're last (Right? X.X), but you might've put them first, so I was wondering.

The idea isn't bad, I usually don't mind that type of thing, and I have seen those kinds of personalities, but not so often and not really in a GxB game, so I'm kinda looking forward to that.

I really am not talking about the guys as I think I should (Maybe?), but I usually don't really pay attention to that in these games, I guess to find their personalities out myself, I DID read it all (The whole thread, twice), and I guess I'm looking forward to Satsuki.

Also, good luck with finding an artist, since I have no idea of how to image them at this moment XD, and you really must be busy, Fraility-broken wings- also looks like a very big project, and I honestly have no idea about that, since I'm not really working on anything X.X. Anyways, Good luck! ^-^

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Ran08 »

Aines445 wrote:Hmmmm....So are the first names first or last? I know that in Japan they're last (Right? X.X), but you might've put them first, so I was wondering.

The idea isn't bad, I usually don't mind that type of thing, and I have seen those kinds of personalities, but not so often and not really in a GxB game, so I'm kinda looking forward to that.

I really am not talking about the guys as I think I should (Maybe?), but I usually don't really pay attention to that in these games, I guess to find their personalities out myself, I DID read it all (The whole thread, twice), and I guess I'm looking forward to Satsuki.

Also, good luck with finding an artist, since I have no idea of how to image them at this moment XD, and you really must be busy, Fraility-broken wings- also looks like a very big project, and I honestly have no idea about that, since I'm not really working on anything X.X. Anyways, Good luck! ^-^
Ah, yes, I actually put the last names last. Teehee. I guess I should change that to give it a more Japanese feel. :)

Thank you. ^_^ I was afraid they would be too cliche, I mean, there are many stories set in highschools, and even these personalities are pretty common too. I just had no idea how to spice them up more. And I know these are sort of against the rules for me as a writer, but Satsuki is my 2nd personal favorite! =))

Frailty is doing well; Kait and suqling are simply awesome. ^_^Thank you very much! And thank you again for reading this... twice! :) I appreciate the feedback.

Aines445
Regular

#4 Post by Aines445 »

Ran08 wrote: Ah, yes, I actually put the last names last. Teehee. I guess I should change that to give it a more Japanese feel. :)

Thank you. ^_^ I was afraid they would be too cliche, I mean, there are many stories set in highschools, and even these personalities are pretty common too. I just had no idea how to spice them up more. And I know these are sort of against the rules for me as a writer, but Satsuki is my 2nd personal favorite! =))

Frailty is doing well; Kait and suqling are simply awesome. ^_^Thank you very much! And thank you again for reading this... twice! :) I appreciate the feedback.
You don't really need to change the order, I was just wondering that to make sure.

No character is completly original, the key is to make them individuals, it doesn't matter if they're based off something, you can make a character unique with cliched foundations on them. But I seriously haven't really played a game of this genre that had some of these types of characters (Some, not all), only saw them in anime or something, so I don't think it's all that common. Wow, writer rules must be complicated XD, I usually have a classification of how much I like my characters, I think it's avoiding making them the focus, I don't know if I fail at that too XD. I guess I could make a classification for the guys :

Satsuki>Shino>Sonako>Takashi>Kaname

Well, now I read it three times XD, and I'm glad you appeciated it, I like to support people with their project, better that than laze off with no projects to do XD. And good luck (Again ^-^).

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Ran08 »

Aines445 wrote:You don't really need to change the order, I was just wondering that to make sure.

No character is completly original, the key is to make them individuals, it doesn't matter if they're based off something, you can make a character unique with cliched foundations on them. But I seriously haven't really played a game of this genre that had some of these types of characters (Some, not all), only saw them in anime or something, so I don't think it's all that common. Wow, writer rules must be complicated XD, I usually have a classification of how much I like my characters, I think it's avoiding making them the focus, I don't know if I fail at that too XD. I guess I could make a classification for the guys :

Satsuki>Shino>Sonako>Takashi>Kaname

Well, now I read it three times XD, and I'm glad you appeciated it, I like to support people with their project, better that than laze off with no projects to do XD. And good luck (Again ^-^).
Haha, well, I think it would be better off that way, so I changed it just to be safe. :)

And yeah, you're right about that. ^_^ I don't think anyone is really unique too. All the different similarities in people make them unique. Hahaha. I'm glad they're not that common. And yeah, they're pretty complicated, but they mostly just depend on the writer. ;) But you're right, if a writer has a favorite, then they're more likely to focus on that character, therefore making the other characters less developed.

Hahaha, I shall thank you three times now. Thank you, thank you, and thank you for taking the time to read this. =)

Aines445
Regular

#6 Post by Aines445 »

Ran08 wrote: Haha, well, I think it would be better off that way, so I changed it just to be safe. :)

And yeah, you're right about that. ^_^ I don't think anyone is really unique too. All the different similarities in people make them unique. Hahaha. I'm glad they're not that common. And yeah, they're pretty complicated, but they mostly just depend on the writer. ;) But you're right, if a writer has a favorite, then they're more likely to focus on that character, therefore making the other characters less developed.

Hahaha, I shall thank you three times now. Thank you, thank you, and thank you for taking the time to read this. =)
Hmm...I don't really mind which order is going to be put so Okay ^-^.

Yeah, no one is unique, but they are INDIVIDUALS, in that way, we're all unique but not unique. I mostly just consider my characters as individuals, no matter how abnormal they are (What sucks is that I get too attached, It's hard to sacrifice a single one XD). But I really do think some are uncommon in these types of games for example Kaname, The only time I saw his type of personality was in anime, never in a game like this. Lol writing is now somewhat scary XD (Just kidding). One badd thing is if a certain character is less developed than another, because he/she could've been great to others, so that's a thing to watch out, but you're probably way better than me at writing why am I even saying such stuff like I'm a pro or something XD (I'm totally not).

Oh well, I'm Looking forward to this! ^-^

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Ran08 »

Aines445 wrote: Hmm...I don't really mind which order is going to be put so Okay ^-^.

Yeah, no one is unique, but they are INDIVIDUALS, in that way, we're all unique but not unique. I mostly just consider my characters as individuals, no matter how abnormal they are (What sucks is that I get too attached, It's hard to sacrifice a single one XD). But I really do think some are uncommon in these types of games for example Kaname, The only time I saw his type of personality was in anime, never in a game like this. Lol writing is now somewhat scary XD (Just kidding). One badd thing is if a certain character is less developed than another, because he/she could've been great to others, so that's a thing to watch out, but you're probably way better than me at writing why am I even saying such stuff like I'm a pro or something XD (I'm totally not).

Oh well, I'm Looking forward to this! ^-^

Yes, I agree. That's why I tried to give my characters more personality so they wouldn't come off as flat characters. Kaname was subconciously based on a very quiet classmate of mine. I say subconciously because I only realized it after a friend pointed it out me. Oh, don't hesitate to share your thoughts and ideas! I respect and value them. :)

Thank you very much for the support! I'm so touched. Teehee.

Aines445
Regular

#8 Post by Aines445 »

Ran08 wrote: Yes, I agree. That's why I tried to give my characters more personality so they wouldn't come off as flat characters. Kaname was subconciously based on a very quiet classmate of mine. I say subconciously because I only realized it after a friend pointed it out me. Oh, don't hesitate to share your thoughts and ideas! I respect and value them. :)

Thank you very much for the support! I'm so touched. Teehee.
As long as you play their personalities well, they'll probably not be considered as flat characters, so I think you're in a good path. Wow that classmate must've been so quiet you didn't even notice that he was quiet XD. I was also a very quiet person in classes, so I would never really know about that. Well, so, is the academy for rich people? I'm still trying to get that in detail, or does it have something else that makes it special? That makes me wonder about the protagonist (Oh yeah, I didn't say anything about her.....XD Not that I didn't notice her). Hmmmm....(Wow Do I really need to think hard about Kazumi XD?)She seems to be nice, I have no problems with the her being naive or annoying, I would have problems if she were stupid, or a really flat character, but that doesn't really seem to be the case. One thing in otome games that I've played is the protagonist being terrible, so I had to think really hard and image her personality, so I think she's nice (AINES APPROVES! *Ahem* <.<).

Anyways, wow, I guess, your welcome? XD Well, Good luck ^-^.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Ran08 »

Aines445 wrote: As long as you play their personalities well, they'll probably not be considered as flat characters, so I think you're in a good path. Wow that classmate must've been so quiet you didn't even notice that he was quiet XD. I was also a very quiet person in classes, so I would never really know about that. Well, so, is the academy for rich people? I'm still trying to get that in detail, or does it have something else that makes it special? That makes me wonder about the protagonist (Oh yeah, I didn't say anything about her.....XD Not that I didn't notice her). Hmmmm....(Wow Do I really need to think hard about Kazumi XD?)She seems to be nice, I have no problems with the her being naive or annoying, I would have problems if she were stupid, or a really flat character, but that doesn't really seem to be the case. One thing in otome games that I've played is the protagonist being terrible, so I had to think really hard and image her personality, so I think she's nice (AINES APPROVES! *Ahem* <.<).

Anyways, wow, I guess, your welcome? XD Well, Good luck ^-^.
Ahh, yes, I'll keep that in mind. And oh, that classmate of mine? He's also a good friend, just... too quiet and even snobbish at times. Tsss. Hahaha. As for the academy... yes, that's how it's presented to the world. Although "the world" doesn't know much about it either. It's famous, but not many people actually know what it's all about, if you get what I mean. Hahahaha, thanks a lot Aines! =)

CuppieKeyk
Regular
Projects: Apple Kiss [Will create a thread soon]
Organization: Myself XD

Re: Seasons of Love GxB [Fantasy][Slife]

#10 Post by CuppieKeyk »

Okay, This is good >w< [Nice names, But my head is spinning because it's all japanese, Maybe it's because I just saw different japanese names after reading many manga's and watching animes today =w=] (OVERLOAD) ! aH !!!! If you need help, Just call me =)

I'll support ya ! (Ah and yeah, If you need chibi CG's I can help you.) ;3
My Other Projects :

My Daisy

The Rose Princess

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Ran08 »

CuppieKeyk wrote:Okay, This is good >w< [Nice names, But my head is spinning because it's all japanese, Maybe it's because I just saw different japanese names after reading many manga's and watching animes today =w=] (OVERLOAD) ! aH !!!! If you need help, Just call me =)

I'll support ya ! (Ah and yeah, If you need chibi CG's I can help you.) ;3
Thank you very much! :) Um, yeaaah, I actually planned to just change the names to English, but in the end, the Japanese names got their way. Hahaha. Awww, that's so sweet, I really appreciate it. :) Sure, and thanks again!

paronomasia

#12 Post by paronomasia »

The characters are types I've seen before but the way you described it breathes new air into them (well, as much as the air that's been cycling around since dinosaurs were around can be fresh). Looking forward to further progress.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Ran08 »

paronomasia wrote:The characters are types I've seen before but the way you described it breathes new air into them (well, as much as the air that's been cycling around since dinosaurs were around can be fresh). Looking forward to further progress.
Thank you. :) I changed a few things in the storyline... and also added and replaced a few characteristics of the characters. :) It's sort of hard for me to make a not-so-cliche character as of now, but I am doing my best. ^_^ Again, thanks for the comment. Hahahaha.

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#14 Post by enta »

I would have liked to apply as the artist if only I could draw better>.<

It was kind of weird to actually see a game where the heroine has surname "Yamada" even in Japanese games. Actually, I never met anyone named Yamada even though it's quite a common surname here xD

Well, good luck!

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Ran08 »

@Enta: Awwww, but I saw your Art Dump thread and I think your drawings are really lovely... They're actually like manga art to me. :3 Although, I see you have a project to work on too! Goodluck with that ! :) I see we're both playing with seasons. ;)

Really? :) Actually, that's one of the reasons I chose that surname, because I've never seen it used in games. The only Yamada I've heard of it the one from Naruto. Hahaha. =) That is kinda... curious. ^_^

Thank you! Goodluck with yours too!