Ren'Py Academy [a VN to teach you basic Ren'Py coding]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Ren'Py Academy [a VN to teach you basic Ren'Py coding]

#1 Post by Kokoro Hane »

This is an idea that's been sitting in my head for THE LONGEST time. I've worked on it a little, but it's far from being anything of use in these stages, and since there isn't much to it yet, that is why it's in the Ideas section for now until I get sine real progress.

Basically, the idea of the visual novel is for people to get used to Ren'Py programming. This is especially ideal for those who have no programming experience whatsoever (that used to be me; Ren'Py is what started me programming). You will learn about variables, strings, statements, how to implement code from the cookbook, and so forth. They will all happen in levels, and begin with just modifying some pre-made novels I did as an example (best way to learn is opening pre-made scripts to see how it functions!) and then go over making them from scratch!

To make it more fun, you can select to play a boy or a girl who is attending Ren'Py Academy. So there's somewhat a story going on, as you make friends, maybe enemies? The "class" segments is when you actually start learning stuff. I'll have everything divided in chapters and levels so you can learn at your own pace (go as fast or slow as you want). I'll even have the option to have "Story Mode Off" in case you want to get right to the learning and skip all that extra stuff.

Anyway, basically I'm trying to come up with a fun way to help beginners with Ren'Py, because I struggled with it in the beginning too and had to figure it out on my own (I wasn't on the LemmaSoft forums yet).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what I got in my head so far;

- A story. Ren'Py Academy is still a VN. It has a story. You, the main character, are actually going to a school called "Ren'Py Academy" where many other "students" are enrolled to learn Ren'Py, so they may one day become great visual novelists. You can make friends, complain about homework, etc.! I'm going to do my best to make this story entertaining and even random! Hmmm... maybe a special guest will appear, like Eileen or something!

- Voiced. For those who just wanna learn and would prefer to click fast through, you can always turn this off view Preferences, but for those who might just be reading this for sheer enjoyment might like this, or those who learn more auditory.

- Three modes; Academic, Story, The Whole Experience. Players will be prompted at the beginning whether or not they want the full experience (learning Ren'Py and going through this VN's silly little story), academic mode (this is for those who only want to use it for learning how to use Ren'Py and don't want the fluff of the story), and story mode (for those who want all the learning parts cut out and just enjoying playing the story side of the VN, perfect for those already familiar with Ren'Py or who've already went through it and want to relax).

Explantions of each mode;
The Whole Experience - The users will go through THE ENTIRE visual novel, both story and "classes", so they will be interacting with a story while learning how to use Ren'Py at the same time. This could be helpful to really immerse them and make it fun and entertaining so it gives a real "going to school" kinda vibe, plus for users new to the VN world, it'll give them a good idea of what a visual novel is all about. You will go through all the lessons one by one as the story progresses, and there will be multiple endings as well (yes, it even includes "dropping out" of Ren'Py Academy XD)
Academic Mode - For those who don't want to bother with the story and just learn! They can select which lesson chapters to go through, so if they pick lesson 1 they can go on one by one each lesson from there, or they can just always jump around to whatever lesson they think they need. They can also decide to skip Ren'Py 101 and get to Advanced Basics if they are already familiar with Kinetics and Choice-Based, but want to go a little further but don't know where to start.
Story Mode - Maybe you've completed Ren'Py Academy and want to just skip all the boring lessons, or maybe you are already familiar with Ren'Py and just have this game to see what the story is like. This option cuts out all the actual "class" segments (where there is literal teaching instruction of using Ren'Py, beginning and ending class still remains), so it solids solely on the silly little story that is Ren'Py Academy.

- Modifying pre-made VNs for this games' "workbook" as optional. Lessons related to this can be made optional at the beginning of the game when you "sign up" in-game for how you want to go about learning Ren'Py. This VN, I will provide another download of a collection of short VNs I made as an example with developer tools still set to True so users can open them and modify as instructed. This method of learning might be helpful, as it shows how everything is written out and modifying it will give users a taste of how to use and they'll have some useful knowledge when it comes to doing it from scratch. However, for those who want to cut to the chase, they can have this turned off and get right to (after a few explanation lessons) making VNs from scratch, with instructions. For those who use this option, they will have minimal instructions (but there is a prompt where if they don't understand everything, the "teacher" asks if they need full instructions, thus this'll be the same as those who turned it off).

- Lessons are divided into game days. Players can easily go at their own pace, whether fast or slow. If you want to follow the literal day by day lesson, you can!

- Grade levels. Everyone starts at Level 1, and as you advance, you can go up levels into new "classes". I may drop this idea, but it's a thought.

- Story-writing skills training (optional). For those who want it, when you "sign up" you have the option for extra lessons that involve story-writing, since a visual novel's core is story, especially when it comes to a Kinetic novel with no game interaction at all. You will need to keep the player interested in reading a story that has only 1 ending.

- Advanced Basics lessons. Players, when they "graduate" from the basics (when they have successfully created a choice-based VN from scratch, no instructions, only a few prompts to get the story going) they have the option to move on to implementing some codes from Ren'Py Cookbook and customizing it to fit your game, how to use other functions and variables, etc.! It's called "Advanced Basics" because it's not liek you'll be learning how to make a fantastic, totally original customization game, RPG frames, and learning how to write out original code. It'll just teach you how to use some codes, like how to use stats, simple money system, adding extra areas to the menu, etc. etc.!

- Unlockable bonus classes. Art, music, op/end videos, voice acting are important to VNs as well. If players do well and "graduate", you will unlock extra lessons to learn about making original art, music, openings and endings, and how to voice act for those who want to voice their own VN (or be one of). Obviously, I cannot write out all these bonus lessons, so I will definitely need help with this one for those willing to provide their own tutorials. I'll probably have different ones that take a different at how to go about it, especially since everyone probably uses different programs, might draw traditionally or with a tablet, etc. etc.!

So as you can see, this is a rather large project and no small task that will eventually need some help like proofreaders, artists, tutorial submitters (yay for bonus teachers!) and so on, but I think it will help a lot of people and make it fun for people to learn it~ Basically, I want to do my best to let people know that Ren'Py is waaaaaaaaay easier than it looks!

By the end of this game, the idea is the user will be fully familiar with strings, statements, variables, implementing codes to their liking, and so forth. Basically, they'll be able to make a full visual novel with confidence~
Last edited by Kokoro Hane on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

Re: Ren'Py Academy [a VN to teach you basic Ren'Py coding]

#2 Post by xavimat »

I think that's an interesting idea, Kokoro Hane! Do you need help?
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Darkmoonfire
Regular
Completed: Christmas Project
Organization: Lunarescent Wings
Tumblr: darkmoonfire

#3 Post by Darkmoonfire »

I support this project :D

It sounds like it's going to be hard to pull off, but if you get it to work I'm sure a lot of people would really appreciate it. If you need help with anything, don't be afraid to ask.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

This is a great idea. Let me know if there's anything I can do with Ren'Py to make this happen. (I suspect that some of the code in the launcher might be useful in a project like this.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#5 Post by JumpJump »

Ideas like this always get me excited. You, my good person shall be given my Seal of approval.

"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by 15385bic »

this sounds like a great idea! throw in some good looking teachers and ur set *q*
I'm more likely to learn if there was eye-candy motivation XD

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by gekiganwing »

The main goal is helping the player learn how to use Ren'py code and advanced features, right? If so, then I think it could work as a simple quiz game, especially if the player can go at their own pace.

I'm not exactly sure what Kokoro Hane meant by "... just modifying some pre-made novels I did as an example... and then go over making them from scratch!" How would that work? Would this be an extensive examination of how they were created, or something more simple?

If you want to include some story elements, or just an excuse plot, that's fine.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more

#8 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Wow, I am glad to see so much interest!

Yeah, I'd probably need help eventually. (Like proofreading and such, and Mac and Linux testers LOL). And to answer gekiganwing's question of the "just modifying pre-made novels I did as an example, then go over making them from scratch" with the Ren'Py Academy VN, I will provide a second project that still has developer set to True, so you can open these games and step by step be instructed how to change things in them. Later, there will be step by step instructions on how to make one by scratch by creating one on Ren'Py yourself ^.^
PROJECTS:
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

Owl City "Galaxies"

Itwasneveradream
Veteran
Projects: Color Me Cliche (semi-hiatus) | Rose Colored Days | College Jam | One secret Project

#9 Post by Itwasneveradream »

Heyy

this is really interesting (I could really use this)

I'm willing to help, whether it be art or writing. Coding...eh, not so much.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Itwasneveradream wrote:Heyy

this is really interesting (I could really use this)

I'm willing to help, whether it be art or writing. Coding...eh, not so much.
Yeah, art is definitely a big thing. I cannot make sprites myself yet (I can design them, since I am also an artist).
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#11 Post by Sharm »

I tentatively offer my services as well.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Kokoro Hane »

^ Awesome! This is a pretty big project! ^o^

Updated the main post!
Okay, as I was in math class and coming home on the bus, I was thinking about this project and what some of its features will be! So that's what I wrote down and added to the main post~

I also had an idea that when I get beta-testers for this, I want a good mix of new Ren'Py users, experienced users, and many those who don't know where to start. When I get this beta-tested, I want input from everyone on some questions they want explained (maybe a feature I didn't cover that'd be excellent) or perhaps I made it too confusing and should simplify a little more, things like that, so it is perfect for release. I might even open a forum, and just for fun once in awhile I myself will run a "Ren'Py learning course" using this, but I'll actually be grading their assignments, LOL, for those who want more challenge instead of working by themselves~ The idea of the VN is to make it easy to learn on your own,l all you need will be there, but for those who want to ask questions or get opinions, etc. etc.! the course may be a fun idea~
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

kaki

#13 Post by kaki »

This sounds really cool. As someone who doesn't know anything about coding Ren'py, this is something I'd definitely play. :3

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Kokoro Hane »

kaki wrote:This sounds really cool. As someone who doesn't know anything about coding Ren'py, this is something I'd definitely play. :3
Just the audience I am aiming for! You'd be the perfect candidate for a beta-tester ^.^
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#15 Post by Blane Doyle »

I agree with everyone else, this should be both interesting and useful! I am looking forward to seeing what you are able to come up with and how it will play out. I know I could certainly use it sometimes...